Doc appt. this morning, got home relatively early so did a little weed eating for the wife then strolled down to Fat Allis and got a smidgen of paint worn off pushing out a few trees I needed moved to remove some more road edge ROW dirt for our entrance road. First image is where I stopped last time, Second is Where I parked FA last night, the big Cedar was well rooted to the point I had the old machine around twelve feet up on it to roll it out!
Welds seem to be solid! The issue with the trees is obvious in this first image!
Looks like a pretty decent day to be outside working. Lookin' good! Darryl
Nice and cool, Allis gets warm so have to work in lifts and not cook the old beast. Will get the trees cut up I have down and hauled away then work on the next. Two big Elms will be bad. Really close to road, too damn close to power lines so have to work smarter not faster.
Now, we have all been waiting to see some paint work off that shiny new bucket! Speaking of heating up, my dad owned a Allis 7G loader back in the 60's that he owned & it overheated even when new! If I remember correctly it was the torque that heated up on that one. My D6C also heat up after working it hard for 3 hrs on hot days in the summer. Here is a job that I was doing recently for a friend, filling in a cross ditch in his soy bean field. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlJeXIKywrAm5yq3mxG5lb2EfDfY
Torque converter does get plenty warm on mine, old trans does slip which only adds to oil heat. Will work for the time being until I can get this done then winter work the trans in the shop to go back in it next season.
Metalman, the 6C was probably the most versatile easy to use Cat they ever built. Love the look, the weight and the function of them, wish I had one but not in my wallet worth!! The boys pushing dirt for the new road did well for newbies, down here we shave the sod first piling that to its own spoil pile then wrestle out the cut dirt to a different pile for use elsewhere or sale.
Yes DM, the D6C is a nice machine to run; light & nimble enough to skip around pretty good, yet heavy enough to get down to some moderately heavy pushing when required. I would still like to own a Cat 7G sometime, but that will likely never happen! The 7G has 60 more Hp than the 6 & weighs in at about 7 tons heavier. I ran one quite a bit when I was young & I must say that was my favorite dozer to run....
Two larger elms are down, will be wasting today sawing and hauling this mound of leftovers.
Kind of wish I had that 16B right about now!! Close enough to a D7G for Me just short on finances and wife temper.
//fortsmith.craigslist.org/hvo/d/d6c-widetrack-dozer/6257283655.html D6C New under carriage,turbo.deep cleats on tracks Good older machine $19500.00
And I couldn't afford the 13500 for the 16B!! Maybe when I win the lotto!!
I'll keep rooting for your lotto numbers to turn up, I'll keep looking for a dozer for you too. It seems like anything halfway decent with parts availabilty is 20-30k (and some of those look pretty rough). There's some $6-10,000 stuff out there, but its just scrap iron grown up in trees. I just saw that one a day or two ago, and thought it looked pretty good for the asking price with new undercarriage. Glad your feeling well enough to go out and do a little work.
I am doing well enough, cannot stand sitting still!! Still hurt but learned to manage that without meds, limp a lot! Next issue up the old rust bucket dump wagon Chevy, mud dobbers built nests all over the engine side of radiator, one broke loose while running, fan sent it back into core now leaks to beat hell, tried to drain and the drain thread fitting not the drain cock rolled out of the solder joint. DAMN DAMN DAMN!! Before I got REALLY mad I stopped, brush hogged the front field(12 acres) refilled the 180 Allis, then pulled the radiator otherwise would be looking for another complete assembly. One upper tube mashed and split, the lower fitting is broken loose but not all the way out, closest shop Columbia MO, maybe a week to get it back. Thinking I may try this tomorrow on my own, pretty decent at sweat soldering copper, willing to try before send this off, cannot ruin it any worse.
whenever I soldered radiators I used acid core solder, not rosen core..the acid helped clean the copper or brass...
Well worse came. Got the FIRST leaks fixed, pressed it up and three more on opposite side, got to looking around entire core is papier mache to nothing thin and crumbled as I touched it. Time for more beer.
I now have more beer. I have also ordered a aftermarket replacement, could not see $250 for a used one(no guarantee would not leak) and not see $1500 for a genuine GM. Just at $600 delivered.
While awaiting the radiator I decided was time to attack that 'weak' upper roller. Was a little further from weak than expected!! Thankful I have a parts donor and the hat is from a friend is my "Luck" hat for this old witch!
Nice to have a parts donor isn't it? I have a couple of old cats in my yard too, where I can scrounge a roller or two if needed!
Allis is especially needy of donor machines as there is no real options for much in used yards and limited new old stock shops are REALLY proud of. Roller itself is in reasonable shape, will peel it apart to inspect shaft and seal regions may order bearings and seals to build this one back. Still have a second spare but the rail cuts are pretty rough. Lower rollers on the donor are Sad to say the least, all are roller bearing not bushing. Taking the old one off was the rough part, little access to the stub poking thru the bracket, was dog knotted with rust/paint/skin up from debris so had to literally pound the turd out once loose all the way out! Replacement slipped right in as supposed to. At least did not have to split rail to get it swapped.
Isn't it nice to never have to wonder, "what should I do now?" You certainly have lots going on! I hate those daubers! Air hoses, extension cords...if there's a hole- they fill it! Glad things are going well!
I have a list that stretches and expands in all direction!! For right now am in a good position to get at least ONE item accomplished! Radiator is inside my shop so after that tomorrow after play time with family today.
Nice! Enjoy your family time. If I wasn't on a schedule I'd give you a hand...just rolled by on I-70 heading east. Nice day and pretty country! Now I can really appreciate the pics you post of your place and the work you're doing. Hope repairs go well, Darryl
Repairs complete(for now), truck and loader down the hill JUST IN TIME, for rain. My typical day!! View attachment 173238
1 1/4" yesterday/last night so digging is off again for now. Maybe later in the week/weekend.
Crazy weather. Finally getting our rain back in the northwest...will help with the wildfires but not my outdoor projects. Darryl
So long as rains hold off for a few days may make some progress, current rain settled the dust and may keep that at bay while I dig out!!
A few yards moved so far. Old Fat Allis is leaking in a few spots I need to fix on, the heat came on quick today with high humidity and no where to get away from it so called it early. Best can do three scoops to a load, somewhere near to five or six yards a load so about a yard and 1/2 or 2/3 for a bucket load.
Nice to see that old iron working! Is that your single axle dump? Just remember if you need to ramp up production, I can give you an address on that HD 11G loader that is waiting for a new owner!
No that rust packet is Brother In Laws jewel, I just keep the thing running!! I have a Bud on the Allis Forum headed to that old 11G, he is seriously interested and lives NY State. Mine is the typical old TIRED iron day! Right sprocket was clean in the above photo, currently is NOT. The axle nut tends to back itself off at the least opportune times, so back to the tried and true drive it back home with a punch and chisel!! Then I have accumulating trans/clutch something in that region fluid building under the left floor pan, will need to await a little cooler air then tear into that and see what I might find. Then the old MP lines up front, evidently the bucket rolls a taste too far crimp kinked the more forward one, it is leaking so will need a line replaced, AFTER I see about that trans leak and sprocket nut which most likely will get welded down this time! I have three spare final drives!
Figure to be around 1/3 to as little as 1/4 to where I want to end up moving dirt. I did notice on that old 11G whomever built the side edges on that bucket formed them as I had done mine, must be a good old pattern!
The icky stuff: Old dog is damp everywhere but not just running as the sprocket leak was!! The typical day!
Moved about 40/50 yards so far, 10 piles/loads.
I gave him the location position you noted in the other post, he said would find it, is a bloodhound for AC.
Got the trans filter leak fixed, mess but fixed. In the photo above had already screwed the nut back down using a punch and hammer as we used to on wheel bearings we had no socket for. The sprocket spline was wallowed long ago, never really gets 'tight' but will stop leaking to this extent. The nut drives up until shoulders out on shaft and flat stops, the sprocket still has a taste of movement then but hey, as long as works I leave it be as removing that truck to get that shaft out is one SOB, just behind the rear roller is the connecting point shovel frame to truck frame, uses a tapered head 1 3/4" bolt into a tapered sleeve three eyelets and a nut/compression washer at the back. You talk of one worthless or really poor point of design that would be it for these!!
Some days you eat the Bear, otherwise it cannot be sated. Got the nut tightened as far as will go, pressure washed and welded the retainer to the sprocket, got a hose made and re-adjusted the angle to the fitting for bucket clearance, washed it too. Got on the tractor, fluids full, all set to go, got 2/3 down the hill and the stack falls off. Thought maybe the pipe but NO, had to be the cast angle housing right at the point it changes from square to round. Back to the shop we go. Some days, old iron, enough to **** you off, time for more beer!!
You are having a bad luck day for sure! Maybe tomorrow will be better!
I am hoping!!
Got up early to beat the heat, hood came off re-evaluated the conditions(tinfoil and rust) not much steel remaining in tube but no steel shops open, do not have time to build a replacement and get my work at the highway done so bird poop build up commenced!! Worst conditions to deal with, carbon, rust, extra thin, could not clean too well as removes too much tinfoil, started off still then a breeze with solid core wire and gas on a mig. But still back together for now. Had to build steel where was none and chase holes burned thru. in morning when still air again will overlay the entire weld.
What did you use to slather on there? Stick, Mig or some sort of compound? Hard to tell from the pics.
Gas cover MIG, did not want to try stick as too little left, used fairly decent heat to get it to just burn in and build up. Will overlay all the wire work with stick in the morning. Tube section was scary thin at the base, further I worked up the more decent it got save for cracks and thin spots. A little closer on the bird poop finish:
That's a prime candidate for bailing wire and a brazing tip on the torch....idk what it is about bailing wire but I've fixed a lot of burnt out mufflers and whatnot with it. Works slick ;-)
Poor old machine tries to lay down I keep picking it back up. Turbo exhaust side is terribly eroded, at some point will have to order up a replacement T04.
Got the overlay made at 7 this morning, found two more cracks/weak spots, dragged wire feed back out and tidy'd up some. Worked it for six more full truck loads getting hot, machine, me, truck and in general so gave in for the day. Stack and leaks holding for now.
Is actually 19 loads from the truck sitting there, between 4 and five yards a load. Almost to where can level out for discing and seeding at both ends.
Looks like a nice piece of property you have there DM. Lots of open space! Give old Allis a pat & keep her going!
Have 78 acres mostly pasture. Home sits on 9 of them with the shop and barn. Where the dirt piles are is the piping field for the ground source heat/cool system so gain view distance at hwy, top off over fill on ground source same time. Soil is Loess, looks and acts line clay until wet, can cut a square wall trench will stand forever but try to set a pond the stuff gets wet where sloughs badly as the crystalline structure is like salt, square and cornered unlike the sands in clay.
We have a closed loop ground source heat/cool system as well & really like it. Ours has been in place for over 7 yrs & it works really well. Ours was put in before I had any equipment, so the excavation was outsourced. The last part close to the house was directionally drilled.
I like ours, unlike a true heat pump even down to 10 degrees F the thing does not need the backup system heat. Summer time it gives up heat and makes cool so easy. Just the installer took a 555G dug a trench and set the three tube runs in the bottom on the solid rock of the hill. Only got a little over four feet over cover which has settled in, I get two or more feet new overlay on top of that and much better.
Ours has a 7.5 kw back up coil built in the plenum, but I turned the breaker off when new & have never needed it either. Our weather up here is colder than where you are, sometimes it will drop to 0f or even lower for a bit in the winter, but it keeps up no problem. We have 4 runs off of the main header line x 300' ft long each x 6' deep. All tolled there is 2400' of transfer line as each 300' run has the tube going out & returning (600' per trench). Ours keeps up easily in the winter & just plays with the cooling in the summer. Ours is a 4 ton system & draws 13.5 amps when on 2nd stage (2 poles).
Ours is also a four ton, 1800 feet on three loops just at five feet deep. Max draw in winter has been similar when stages up. We put four zones in the house one down three up, bedroom stays cold all year.
BTW I also turned off the backup coil as there had not been any demand on it since install. The 10F is the coolant temperature in the tubing, has antifreeze(purple) in it good to minus 30F.
Well the dirt I have moved so far, anywhere from grade to three feet deep rough pushed out. Will be working that over for awhile to get it where and how I want it. Figured to about 130-150 cu. yards.
Looking good.