The D5N we bought got here today. The dozer is in much better condition than I expected but the UC is wore out. The machine has 7,100 hrs and I'd guess it's the original UC if that's possible. All the parts say Cat anyways. Is there anything I need to know operational wise as far as F/R shifting or going through the gears? Last dozer had an accelerator instead of a deccelerator so that's going to take getting used too.
Nice looking little tractor
yes. Get an operators manual for it, but come to a complete stop before changing directions. The decelerator is much easier to operate once you get the hang of it. D5 is a nice 6 way machine. They are not meant for bashing stumps. Bare butted like that it will dive in softer materials like spreading crushed rock. I laid down all the final grade rock ahead of the blade with one just like it at the AFB.
I second the recommendation by @skyking1 to get an Operation & Maintenance Manual. You can download one for just over $50, probably the best money you’ll ever spend. The Cat Publication reference is SEBU7418 and you can get one from the Cat Pubs web site by clicking the link.
I downloaded the SIS2GO app and it has allot of good info that's easily accessible. I'll order the manual also.
If you have SIS2GO then I would suggest to hold off on buying the manual for now. All the info it contains may just be available on the app.
nice litle machine that one, its a pitty that crap engine it has, anyways thats what it is. very good luck with it.
Congrats. That's a nice looking D5N. Had a D6N with a ripper that was a fantastic dozer. Just big enough to move some dirt and still agile enough to finish grade which worked great for what we do. IIRC the D5N's came with finger tip steer? The D6N we had was diff steer.
Looks nice, hope the cost wasn't crazy when needing the U/C done. Too bad its bare back. Agree with the above, I like the D6 size too, for reasons mentioned. The best thing about the high drive dozers over some of the old stuff, is just a much better design of track frames. At least the newer komatsu's did them as well.
What do you not like about the engine? Bad luck with one?
No, it's just a ***** design compared to a 3304 that was installed in the D5H you were looking at. Not as simple to repair & maintain either. The subject was brought up at the time in your other thread.
Yes I remember that being said I was just curious about problems with them. Seems some have good luck with every engine some have bad.
Yes and No, back in the day we had 3116´s i don´t recall having the small boy, and that was a crap specially for those that came to fill the 3306 shoes. Lot of special tooling and procedures that are not easy understood, it was a bad series of engines, but that in your tractor probably has the electronic injectors and a control module so, double problem.
I did some studying today and from what I could gather the 3116 was troublesome because of the fuel timing. The 3126 uses the HEUI system which some like and some don't, really mixed reviews. I knew this before I bought it and just figured if it breaks we'll fix it. Equipment has computers on them these days it's just part of it. I did contact our local independent Cat mechanic to see if he could get in the system before I made the final decision. One thing I learned today was that the 3126b isn't a liner engine. That's definitely disappointing. (I know little to nothing about Cat engines so could be way off on this). I really try to avoid buying equipment with DEF if possible. We don't use equipment enough to keep the DEF from causing issues. We haven't had any issues with DEF system in pickups yet though. Going back to the HEUI system vs mechanical systems the only fuel system failure I've had in 25+ years of owning diesel engines was an injection pump went out on a 2001 Dodge Cummins. Our old dozer was a Case 850G with a 5.9 engine. I will admit it was nice to be able to easily replace the injectors and repair the leaky injection pump.
Well , if u think u can get along with it thats perfect. Just store in the back of your mind, that even a CAT can also be repowered, by something else. Apart the joking those 3116´s series just sucked, with MUI , or HEUI , does mot mater much there´s a set of problems that will come long before the cylinders need a rebore and skirts.
Those who have had up close and personal experience with HEUI engines dating back to just before the Millenium when they were first introduced still bear the scars...... It is a ***** system. Who in their right mind would think to use dirty engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to operate fuel injectors.? One thing you will have to be very diligent about is oil/filter change intervals. I would sugges to use Cat filters and a high-quality engine oil. Certianly don't go buying anything with "farm, tractor, or unversal" in ether the name of the product or of the place selling it.
When I bought my D8R,TC tractors instructed me only to buy a pre huie model to avoid any bullets.
When I was looking at D6 size machines years back I was told not to buy anything newer than an H machine.
Also on a 3126 heui never hone the cylinders inframe.
Hoping we won't have to deal with that. I've read and watched several videos on the HEUI systems and it looks like something I can work on and parts aren't terribly high. Every system seems to have it's issues. Shoot I'm on my 2nd Powerstroke with the CP4 pump. Maybe I can keep this thing chugging along.
Looks like a dozer for the farm I'm hoping the best for you watch your gauges and check all fluids regularly while you get to know each other
Don’t stress it too much,it could work for ever and a few years more if looked after
Why is this?
When you hone in frame it’s very hard to get all the contamination out. The heui pump and injectors won’t tolerate any debris from honing. You will see premature heui failure.
The oil in this engine is almost scary clean. I'd expect it to be black if ran very long at all. It does have CAT fuel and oil filters that look new though. The fuel filter says 7,106 hrs and the tractor has 7,161 hrs so filters were changed recently. I can't see any hours wrote on the oil filter. The transmission and fuel filters on the back say 6,951 hrs but aren't CAT brand. I work 12 hrs shifts and have been working allot of OT so haven't got to look it over good other than cleaning the cab and finding the leaking transmission hose.
I'd say scary Clean is good.
And you want to keep it that way….
I’m guessing that by scary clean,the op maybe wondering if the oil was changed just to get it sold and was possibly hiding something. I’m always suspicious of new oil in an engine,although it’s often an innocent explanation
Wondering about transmission oil. Manual says SAE30 for my temperature range. Surely that's not motor oil? I'm an hour and a half from a CAT dealer. Started pulling the seat out to replace a transmission hose this morning, not a terrible job but not much room to work either.
It most certainly is NOT motor oil. You don’t necessarily need Cat-branded oil. Look for an SAE30 oil meeting Cat TO-4 specification. All major oil companies manufacture products meeting TO-4 spec. Hark back to my comment previously regarding good-quality fluids for the engine. Well the same applies to the transmission as well. In fact good quality oils/filters are the cheapest insurance you’ll ever buy.
Don't know about that machine. But all the old D8H's used SAE 30 series 3 motor oil in everything except the hydraulic tank. And yes the transmission.
Thanks Nige. The Case dozer we had called for an odd transmission oil, can't remember the exact name but I called the dealer and ordered the correct oil. The 4 or 5 people I knew with the same dozer were running some type of cheap hydraulic oil and didn't know there was a difference. I found some bare wires on a solenoid while working on the transmission hose today so hoping there's not more. They were covered in greasy dirt and the insulation just fell off. I read a previous thread you commented on about the same issue on a D5n and excavators so have been really checking the wiring as I come across it. The wires go to a set of 4 solenoids under the floor plate on the left side were your foot would be. Not sure what they do. I haven't quite figured out the CAT parts diagrams yet.
Bulldozer cylinder control valve.
were blue line is.
After much searching, Steering and brake solenoids? I need to order some manuals.
Does it look like this one.?
Yes the solenoids are on top but the same thing. I'm on night shifts so have had some time to fool with CATs parts website. It's different than I'm used to.
You should be mindful that the orientation of the component in the illustration may not necessarily reflect how it is installed on the machine.
Yes,all my D8H/D8K tractors ran 15/40 in engine,tranny and final drives. Would chuck it into ccu gearboxes too and occasionally into the hyd tanks if no hyd all was available
But that was back in the Stone Age though Nicky, when machine systems didn't work on such fine tolerances like they do now.......... For better or worse things have changed a bit since then. From the O&M. Final Drive oil options: - Cat TDTO, Cat TDTO-TMS, Cat Arctic TDTO SYN, Commercial TO-4 Powershift Transmission oil options: - Cat TDTO, Cat TDTO-TMS, Cat Arctic TDTO SYN, Commercial TO-4.
Don’t get me wrong Nige,The hi drives got treated a whole lot different.They only ever got the specified oil from Cat that was stated in the operator’s manual,and they got serviced more often than the book suggested. The results spoke for themselves. But back to the old D8’s…..Dare I admit to topping the radiators up on occasion with water from puddles? Cooling systems were given little consideration back when I started,with water getting dropped out around September and blue antifreeze at a very vague mix getting chucked back in.Coolant conditioner? nah,just the dregs of the 15/40 in the gallon measure to add to the obnoxious mixture that was already swirling around in the radiators!!!
Bringing up this old thread to ask about hydraulic oil. What type and weight should I use? Is it a must to use Cat hydraulic oil?
SAE 10W or ISO AW32 with a zinc-based anti-wear package. You do not have to use Cat-branded oil unless it is priced cheaper than major oil company brands, which sometimes happens when dealers have a promotion going.
If you had an O&M Manual it would tell you……
Added sweeps and screens to the D5N.
Curious how your D5N is working out for you and if you have had any issues or what you learned owning it? Looking for a similar size dozer and curious about this one. I have read about the injector issues. Any info great appreciated! Thx
Well after owning it for a year I finally ran it for 30 minutes this week. Pushed a tree down and made a small drainage ditch. I like it but it's going to take some getting used to. Old dozer was a Case 850G and I can tell this one has allot more pushing power. The size difference and visibility is going to be the hardest to get used too. I think it'll be a nice ranch machine.