I’m from Maryland, tired of the crime and politics near and in Baltimore. I bought a house and now I need to start a business. I’m a master auto technician, Porsche Audi Mercedes Bmw Aston Maserati etc. I also can fix any kind of heavy equipment, tractor etc. very simple compared to what I normally repair. Diesel too of course. I forgot to mention that. So I’m going to build a big shop, that’s going to take some time, meanwhile I was thinking that I’d buy some equipment and do some land clearing grading and foundation work. I own my business up north. Selling everything now. My question is…… can I make money with machines? I can hire guys, buy machines, advertise, no struggle doing all of that. Is the money there or should I just stick with the cars? My customers will literally send me cars to repair from main to Miami. So I don’t need to start a new business but I would like a new revenue stream. I’ve always liked running equipment and being part of erecting new structures. Don’t much like the finishing work, but I like doing foundations. What do you folks think? Anyone here from South Carolina or nearby, maybe north Carolina, or Georgia. I really would appreciate any insite, thank you so much!
Welcome to HEF SCB, good luck in SC! I don't have a good answer for you, as I'm not in the business, but it sounds like you'll be able to work out whatever you need to!
If you think your going to get the same rates down south as up north your in for a surprise.
A couple of problems are that I see are: Do you actually know how to do land clearing and grading? Doing it efficiently enough to be profitable while leaving a good result is a little harder than it looks from the outside. You pay for a lot of fuel and machine damage while you are learning. If you are planning on just buying the machines and hiring operators, good luck. The only unemployed "operators" around here are the pillheads and equipment destroyers that even the loggers won't keep. You will be competing for clearing jobs with a bunch of guys who work in mills and etc. and buy equipment and run it evenings and weekends and compete on price til they go broke and sell it to guy they work beside on their day job. I am not trying to be negative, but you asked. What part of Florence County are you moving to? I live in Williamsburg County about 30 miles from the Florence County line, and am up there a lot. Oh, BTW, welcome to HEF.
Welcome to the Forums SCB! From the sounds of it you have it all worked out so there's not much advice to offer. South Carolina is a great state, actually just returned from a weekend in Charleston which is a lovely city. There should be no struggle with finding employees. Good operators that are dependable with a great work ethic with no substance abuse issues, family issues or the like are a dime a dozen here in Alabama so I can't imagine it would be an issue in SC either. Since you already work on those fancy cars, heavy equipment is a piece of cake including these new DEF/SCR engines and systems that deal lesser wrenches fits. My suggestion would be to buy machines the national rental companies are getting rid of, the newer the better. The machines may have some electrical or DEF issues but that's not a step to tall for high stepper like yourself. Best of luck!
I certainly can’t help you, but would like to say welcome to the HEF!
CM, PM me next time you are in the state and I will buy you lunch. I'm only 50 miles from Charleston.
Will do Mitch. I knew you weren't located too far away but we had limited time as it was the wife's b'day and 3 work days off is about all we can do this time of year. Got off I-20 and took SR 39 through Wegener to Orangeburg then to I-26. Don't know if that was the best route but Waze said it was. Our hotel was across the street from the Historic City Market. We had a great time, ate some awesome food and met many very nice people. We'll be back someday.
Sounds to me like you found your niche if people are transporting their cars 1,000+ miles to be serviced by you. I think you need to stick with the car business and if time allows, maybe start the diesel business on the side.
I think you’ll be ok. If I had your money and expertise,I could afford to throw mine away.