So I have this case 1835C with a continental TMD20. 3 cylinder diesel I was using it for about two hours when all of the sudden I saw a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe I checked the fuel I replaced the air filters and the fuel filters still doing the same thing I bought new injectors still doing the same thing I got the injection pump rebuilt still having the same issue if I crack the fuel line at the number one injector while it is running with a high idle the smoke goes away To me the smoke looks black the back of the machine is all black the oil level didn’t really go down but today in the sunlight it almost looks like a bluish smoke however when I crack that injector line only on number one cylinder the smoke goes away so I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue is there something I’m missing?
To add.. when machine is off if i remove one of the little fuel hoses that are inline with injectors i get a steady flow. Is that normal when machine is off?
Did you replace all the injectors?
Yes all new. Found loose valve adjustment apparently theres no lock nuts on these motors?
YUP! That is exactly where I was headed! Black smoke is usually a lack of air. Might want to check pushrod to ensure it isn't bent.
Boy a little bit of regular Maintenace would have saved you butt load of money. Bob
Could be wrong but I seem to remember the rocker arm acting like a lock nut?
Yes, That is what an interference fit is. In a nut and bolt situation, screwing them in and out wears down the threads and eventually they fail to be locked. That pushrod and rocker arm in Blakes photo is a good example of what can happen.