Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought a new cat

Stick Pro ยท 2014-06-26 23:32

We just purchased a new 262d. We picked her up earlier this week, it still has to go back and get counter weights and the blue tooth radio instaled. It runs great, and very quiet. I will keep u guys informed on how she does. Here are a few pics I took.

Replies10
  1. #1Desertwheeler2014-06-27 03:12

    Very nice! I like the d series just from sitting in one.

  2. #2pafarmer2014-06-27 05:53

    Nice machine. Good luck with it....

  3. #3kshansen2014-06-27 07:09

    Hate to think what our guys could do to that machine in the first week! Probably have that tube that connects the arms behind the cab bent and side wall out of one tire! A month later the bucket linkage would be worn out due to lack of grease. If we had something like that back when I was hired as a clean up guy in the quarry 40+ years ago I would have washed it every night on my own time! Guys around here don't know how to operate those things with the wooden handles on them. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

  4. #4Jfarris2014-06-28 18:02

    Very nice! What type of work do you guys do?

  5. #5Stick Pro2014-06-28 23:57

    Thanks for the replies. We do mostly all kinds of excavation, demolition, and dig a couple swimming pools a week. These days a lot of house pads lately. It is very busy here, if I could only find some good help, my days would be a lot easier. Good help is not hard to find it is impossible.

  6. #6Jfarris2014-06-29 18:45

    Good help is a problem everywhere I think. Is housing picking up in your area now? Are you going to get in on the High Speed Rail work? That Tier 4 equipment could probably stay pretty busy somewhere with it. What's the name of your company if you don't mind me asking?

  7. #7Stick Pro2014-06-29 23:34

    The housing market is picking up quite a bit, when the market crashed a lot of the fly by night company's went under so there is not many people out here that is in the excavation business. I am hoping this high speed rail never happens, our concrete recycling plant is a half mile from our shop and the stupid rail is goin right through the middle of it, luckily our place is not effected by it. There are a lot of people around here that does not want this thing. Our cat dealer has a line of brand new equipment sitting there with one company's name on all of them, all of that equipment was purchased for the rail, there has to be close to nine million dollars worth of equipment sittin there. Most jobs we bid here are starting to require emission compliment equipment now.

  8. #8Jfarris2014-07-01 20:25

    I did hear that as of Today, CARB was going to start enforcing the emissions rules for Large & Medium fleets. Sure is tough for a startup company to afford 2012 or newer equipment...seems like that can definitely weed some companies out. I was driving down 99 the other day and saw (4) brand new cranes being put together in Fresno. I'm assuming Tutor Perini owns those? Is it true that High Speed Rail is requiring that all Heavy Equipment be Tier 4?

  9. #9Stick Pro2014-07-01 21:48

    Tutor perini has all of the cats sittin at quinn right now. That is going to be there storage yard, off of 99 were the cranes are, I would love to see the total amount of dollars they are spending on just equipment alone, those cranes are not cheap. I would believe that the rail is requiring tier 4 machines. Most of the jobs you bid now they are requiring tier 4 machines. It is going to get interesting with them cracking down on the large and medium fleets. My cat salesman said as the 1st of July stuff was going to start changing. What kind of work are you doing down my way.

  10. #10Jfarris2014-07-01 21:59

    I agree the rail is a complete waste of taxpayers money, but since they're going to throw the money away, I wouldn't mind being the one to catch it!