Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 246 Drive motor shaft removal

CAT 246 ยท 2014-06-25 17:29

Hello I have a CAT 246 skidsteer, I have a leak in my drive motor that filled my chain sump full of oil passed the threads. I have it out now and pulled down to the outer bearing looks like I need to press the shaft out of the drive motor case to get to the seals any thoughts on this? I am seeing a split collar and looks like that keeps a lash adjustment on the bearing and is pressed.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2014-06-25 18:27

    Machine Serial Number prefix please. If it's a 246 (not a B or C) then it ought to be 5SZ. If it is a 5SZ machine need to know if the Serial Number is above or below 4000.

  2. #2CAT 2462014-06-25 18:33

    Yes it is a 5SZ below 4000 It is a rexroth drive motor

  3. #3CAT 2462014-07-29 17:19

    I found out this shaft does not need to be pressed out, there are retaining clips holding it in. It did look like a special collar that needing pressing but it was not at all. Thought I would mention this if anyone tears one of these down you will know.

  4. #4ec246c2025-12-19 05:39

    Hi did you ever get to changing seals on drive motor for 246? Was it challenging or doable?

  5. #5Nige2025-12-19 08:54

    From your question in another post you have a 246C machine. The drive motors on the two models are completely different, unsurprising seeing as they were probably built 10+ years apart.