I just gave a deposit on a Rome breaking disk, and the info I have is it’s 12’ wide, 30.5” disks. No transport tires, it was run on a cable cat. Which the cables removed and switched to a hydraulic cylinder. I went and looked at it today, has some cracks to weld, and one disk to replace. But it is so difficult to find any heavy breaking disks up here I didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity. just curious if anyone could use this number I found on the frame to give me more info on it. there is a picture from the ad. I won’t be able to get the disk home for at least another month because it’s frozen into the ground and locked in ice.
Those are some heavy duty tools right there Rome went out of buissness long time ago as far as I know I think there name was bought and put on a shelf There 100s of those 8 foot wide here most have been worn out and scraped
Are you sure about this? Rome has a website and shows a plant in Ga. Google maps shows this facility as still active, building Rome equipment. Jeff
Rome is still producing more disks. At the western Canadian farm progress show they always bring products through a local dealer. I was hoping someone could use that serial number to explain to me the exact model number and the year it was made. Curious to see what I purchased. All I know is it’s going to chew dirt pretty good.
I bet you could call the factory, and someone in customer service could give you info , based on that serial number. I did this about 15 years ago, and they were very helpful. Jeff
what are you going to pull it with? a 12ft works good behind a D8, or a d7 in good conditions speaking from experience. an 8ft works behind a d6 in good conditions or a d7. those old scissor-type discs were designed to go slow. behind a large 4wd tractor, you have to be careful and go at the same speed a cat would pull it at or you may have issues with bearings and believe me, they are not fun to change. also, the frame will really take a beating at higher-than-designed speeds, especially if you have rocks. a safe speed would be about 2mph on the first pass- a bit faster on the second pass but not much. when turning a sharp corner you may have to close it up
When we use it it will be pulled with either my 973c or our 9270 4wd tractor at 400hp. I do land clearing on the side, so going to be renting it out to the land owners to pull with their own tractors after I clear bush. That’s good to know about the speed. Up here the minimum HP for tractors is probably 230hp, that’s the smallest tractors around. Average is about 330hp. the previous owner said he pulled it with a 230hp tractor and would get stuck in wet conditions sometimes. They upgraded to a 375hp tractor and never had an issue after that. Not much for rocks, no big boulders. Just ones about the size of your fist to your head.
https://www.romeplow.com/equipment/tillage-equipment/ Got this a minute ago
Well aren't I the mis informed
Guess that number isn’t a ROME serial number. But they do know it’s a ROME disk, I’d hope so since it had a Rome tag on the back. they told me they haven’t made that style gang carrier since the 50’s. And they need more information to be able to supply me with what bearings they use, and what style disks.