Hello! I’m looking for those in the know, which is why I came here. I purchased a John Deere 244j last year for snow removal. I am new to anything other than skid steers. It’s around a 2006 with about 5000 hours on it. What I’m noticing is that when I get going, it starts bucking badly back and forth (bouncing front to back), if that makes sense. Sometimes a rough spot in the road does it, but sometimes it just starts doing it on its own. I’ve noted that about 14 miles per hour is when it often starts. Backing off on speed usually stops or reduces it. If you don’t back off on speed, it gets to be a pretty severe ride. My question is this. Is something wrong with it, or is that the nature of a wheel loader? If something is wrong, any ideas what would cause this? Thanks!
Ride control.Does your 244J have that OPTION? Switch would be right hand console , there are a lot of great guys here on this site, give us your serial number, some techs might have access to a build date and options that that machine came with.
Tires can make Quite a difference bias ply do not ride as well as radials and they can sometimes get a little square from sitting could mess with tire pressures also see if you can find a happy spot
Tire pressure makes a huge difference. You want substantially higher pressure in the front tires that in the rear. Check the recommendations from the manufacturer. If they recommend a range, run the fronts at the high range and the rears at the low range. If that doesn't help and you don't have ride control, then you will just have to slow down.
Short wheelbase- hard, short tires, and 14 mph sounds like about when its going to start bucking. And once they start, slowing down is about all that is going to stop it from bucking. Deere brochure for it says 19mph is max top speed, so you aren't losing much top end. Slow down. 244j is a pretty small loader and there isn't much give in those short tires.
These points are true! However! I had a 2011 John Deere 244J for snow removal only, we were in a jam, we needed a machine. OUR loader did NOT have the "ride control" option! And same thing that the OP has posted. OP ride control switch is on the right console, IF YOU HAVE THAT OPTION, if you do is the switch bad? accumulators bad? We sold our machine few years ago for a CAT908M (loaded) and ride control is heaven sent! For the record, my friend has a 2010 244J with ride control and runs down the road sipping his coffee!