Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Box Blade Attachments Where To Buy???????

SITE WORK TOMMY ยท 2012-06-16 17:06

I just purchased a JD 50D with a 3' wide H&H tilt bucket it works great, but we do a lot of grading has anybody ever tried to make a 5' or 6' box blade attachment??? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-06-17 13:25

    I would try building an adapter onto a 72" Gannon box and mounting it on the tilt.

  2. #2KSSS2012-06-17 13:46

    Just my thoughts, I think 72" of anything hanging off the end of a Deere 50 is way too much. A typical Gannon box is pretty HD, I think it would be tippy especially if you already have a thumb and coupler, not to mention the stress on the bucket and boom pins as your working it. If you wanted a box like this I would find a small 48" model made for a compact tractor and adopt that to fit.

  3. #3CRAFT2012-06-17 14:01

    YAH ! ... No kidding ! ........... It's not the stress on the pins that is the big issue as much as the twisting action that is happening on the stick and boom structures ...... especially with an unequal pull, if you were to tag just one side of the blade can you imagine what would happen to the boxed structure of the stick ...OMG !! I looked into a chuck blade for my 312 yrs ago, and at that time Cat engineering told us that anything larger than the widest approved cleanup bucket, for grading, would be too harmful (which is 54" in my case) ........ a JD50 ???? ..... a 72" are you kidding me ....... no matter who or how great an operator is, that would be retarded ......JMHO

  4. #4KSSS2012-06-17 14:44

    Here I was trying to be PC and not a ****. Then here comes CRAFT!! LOL!

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2012-06-17 15:26

    Can't say I didn't step in it this time. I suppose you would not like my 7' wide V bucket on a 4.5 ton machine It handles a pretty good load. I would not reccomend doing serious digging with such a wide bucket, but for clean up, slope work, or finish grading, with a competent operator who understands the forces at work, it can be used successfully. Maybe a 72" gannon is too heavy, but I stand with saying that a light duty bucket that wide can be used for what I mentioned above. In the hands of many it would be the death of a machine, but used carefully, it could be very productive for its designed uses. I have a long history of using buckets much larger than reccomended, and very few problems from it, as long as used with appropriate care.

  6. #6CRAFT2012-06-17 21:01

    YUP ! ...... Why beat around the Bush ! ........ I hang my 72" Davco off of the end of the 312 and did so for 3 mths on a Forestry road-side brushing contract ...... but that's just hanging and not ground engaging ..... a few times in the swing it contacted something hard you should of seen the stick do the hoochie goochie it deff makes you think ! ...... but that's a way bigger exc than a 5 tonne machine ..... not even close to being in the same category ...... has nothing to do with being a *ick, to suggest to someone that it's OK is worse than speaking the truth and later read a post titled saying "THEY SAID IT WAS OK TO DO IT ON HEF"... and "LOOK WHAT HAPPENED"....... boy I didn't know that it could twist like that ???? ..... LOL .....hmmmmm

  7. #7CRAFT2012-06-17 21:17

    :thumbsup Exactly ! .... well put, and in the soils as you show, silty sandy semi-loose material ........... OBTW ..... Nice work you did there:drinkup

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2012-06-18 01:53

    Craft Thanks for the kind words. By the way, you were right to say what you did before, and I should have clarified my remark better. I sometimes forget what an influence a comment can have, both good and bad, on people. I just don't like to dismiss things out of hand because they are not the normally accepted way of doing things. They haven't found a box to put me in yet, so most of my remarks come from thinking outside of the box. You should have seen the looks on my 2 mechanics faces when I brought them the materials that I had scrounged from the stuff laying about the yard and laid out the plan for them to build. They did not come right out and tell me it would never work, but it was written all over their faces. I got the basic shape done, and planned to cut the wings down to size, but then thought how handy it would be to have them to help reach up and tie in the existing slope, and I would not pull hard on them anyway, so I looked around for a brace. I wanted to stiffen it a little, but have it still lightweight. A "T" post fit the bill just right, and gave it the ultimate homemade look at the same time. It served its purpose nicely, and dug 1200 ft in a day and a half. Now it will sit in the corner until next time. I have another 800 ft to dig in a few months, so it is worth the yard space. All told, I have a whopping $400 in it, including the bucket it is based on and the labor to assemble it.

  9. #9SITE WORK TOMMY2012-06-18 18:07

    That is what I am talking about JDOFMEMI nice V bucket, I am not going to be digging to china with the bucket, I just want to grade around buildings and cut out for sidewalks in soft sand.

  10. #10hiluxman2012-06-18 18:32

    there is a adapter made by vimo (the makers of the rockhound) you can put any skid tool on a mini ex with it

  11. #11CM19952012-06-18 21:02

    Nice V-bucket Jerry and nice swale too! Is that a quarry reclamation project?

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2012-06-23 22:03

    Thanks CM Just made it out of what was laying around. It is just what you suspect. I now have another phase to do, with more of the same ditch after the dirtwork is done.