Obviously quite a difference between the two, but in regards to capabilities pulling a 10' box blade they are pretty similar. Hydraulics, weight, horsepower, they're pretty similar. I am undecided if I want open station or cab, there are pros and cons to both. Transmission, 3 pt, PTO, none of these matter too much, I'd actually prefer the 8 sp synchro, but quad range or p/s would be fine. Thoughts?
Sounds like plenty of horse for a box blade. I prefer the soundgard cabs, but thats just a personal preference thing. The soundgards had great heat/AC and were quiet enough to actually hear the radio. This mattered when I was 21 and merging hay all summer in a 4440. We had many of the 20 series tractors with 8sp Synchros when I was a kid and the transmission was never an issue. We did have one 4320 that if you held the clutch in too long (like at a stop sign waiting for traffic), you would lose all hydraulics. I don't know if that was common or not though. I was just taught to put it in neutral and only hold the brake. We also had 3 tractors with the 8 speed power shift and only one was an issue, but it had over 20,000 hours so well worn. It hauled manure every day for us. Never had quad range as Grandpa didn't like the clunky shifting when roading.
The 10 and 20 series where all like that the transmisson pump was ran of the drive clutch
They do seem a little bigger than most would like, but when we're working sites you need the power. I also like the "donut" trick to really even things out, and with these tractors you don't have to ride the brake all day when you're making the tight circles. The issue I'm having with a cab is visibility isn't as good, and trying to maintain a 50 year old A/C system.....
The ac systemisnt a hard fix jist replace the entire system 2000 or so and be down with it
Given your weather, I would go with a cab. The 30 series Sound Guard would be my choice of the two, even though visibility is not great. If I were choosing from anything I would look for a Magnum 7120. Better visibility, full PS is better, engine is better (all my opinion of course).
We had a 7130 Magnum for years when I was a kid because it was a cheaper way to get a high horsepower MFWD with powershift.
Boxcars are hard to beat.
Yea, they are a great tractor.
Of the two I’d say 4630 quad range. Power shifts get to be spendy if something scatters. I spent many an hour in a 4430 picking rock, mowing alfalfa and whatnot. The 4630/40 and 4830/40’s seem cheap for their size. I guess they’re too big for some guys and not big enough for others. I also think only having the large 1000 rpm hurts for some guys.