Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Box Grader

JD8875 ยท 2018-03-21 12:08

Anybody running a box grader on a SSL or CTL? It's springtime in MO which means mudholes and driveway repairs. I've seen some videos but looking for real experience before I turn loose of the cash. I've got a gravel church parking lot an four driveways coming up to regrade and gravel. Something like this Thanks John

Replies14
  1. #1jacobd2018-03-21 21:23

    I'm interested in these as well. I've tried grading with a bucket but the short wheelbase of a skid loader makes it very difficult to get things flat. These box graders look like they would work great with the long runners on the side helping to keep everything even while the blades scrape off the high spots. Does anyone have any general info on pricing? Or even where to buy these things? I see them online being used but I never see them for sale anywhere.

  2. #23X82018-03-21 22:02

    From the youtube http://www.domorequipment.com/

  3. #3JD88752018-03-21 23:37

    Pricing I found run between $2000 to $3500 depending on whose attachment you look at and the options for a 6' model. I've scrounged up the materials to build one for about $500 and a couple days welding. The idea looks good and the videos look like they work slick but I'd like to hear some real world feedback. John

  4. #4td25c2018-03-22 20:49

    Looks like a handy attachment ! I've used the rear 3 point hitch version of that unit on a farm tractor . It worked pretty good . My all time favorite is the box blade . You got the teeth , two cutting edges front & rear and we dropped some gauge wheels on for fine grade work . Rig works so well a feller could almost drink beer while using it Works for pushing snow as well .

  5. #5DIYDAVE2018-03-23 06:33

    Important thing when box grading driveways, is to have the cutting edges mounted horizontally. I have one I bought from ASV dealer, fer my little RC30 dealer, think it was under $500, IIRR. Wish I had a video of it in action, but this one is a close as I have found... On edit, just found this, bobcat calls it a land plane. Only difference between this, and mine is the expanded metal up front, and the scarifiers, that mine don't have. Note the horizontal cutting edges:

  6. #6PJ The Kid2018-03-23 08:46

    JD, IDK about a skid mouned setup, but I've been looking at them for my round pen and arena for skid steer. Also, nice to see another Cass County guy here! I'm just north of ya in Pleasant Hill

  7. #7DIYDAVE2018-03-23 21:18

    This one just popped up on my Youtube, it is the one that looks closest to mine: Song ain't bad, either!

  8. #8JD88752018-03-26 14:43

    PJ, good to see another local around! Gonna be a good week to work in the shop around here after this morning's rain. I've about scrounged enough junk to build a grader. I'll post some pics in the next few weeks when I get it going. I should be in it for a couple hundred bucks.

  9. #9PJ The Kid2018-03-26 15:26

    Very nice. Probably stay busy with it after the rain this morning, gonna be alot of flooded washed out driveways. Do you do any larger excavation?

  10. #10Hobbytime2018-03-26 17:17

    I pull a box blade 6ft wide with a 75 hp new holland tractor to dress up trails through the woods and to level rutted areas around buildings, it works great, nothing fancy I picked it up at tractor supply it has the adjustable teeth up front and the cutting edges front and back...much easier than back blading with a bucket, as the box blade fills in all the small divets and ruts as you go, after grading and having everything smooth you can back blade just to compact it down a bit.

  11. #11JD88752018-03-26 20:26

    I run a skid steer, mini ex, full size backhoe, a 953 CAT and a single axle dump truck. I do a little bit of everything from residential utilities and excavations to new ponds and clean outs. I prefer ag type work that doesn't have a blueprint or engineer but I'll do whatever pays. Havent gotten into septics yet but would like to. With our construction market picking up in the county it seems like a good venture. www.digginanddumpin.com How about you? John

  12. #12td25c2018-03-26 20:42

    Nice website John ! I spotted the JD 8875 on it . One of my favorite tools .

  13. #13PJ The Kid2018-03-27 08:20

    Nice website! I may be contacting you soon about a building pad, hopefully going to be putting up a barn this summer.

  14. #14JD88752018-03-27 11:11

    Thanks Guys! I built the website myself and it's taken about two years for it to take off and get some attention. I need to upload some new photos. Hit me up I'll be glad to take care of ya for a building pad.