Okay folks any advice on how to get the bottom F*&^^$$ing starter bolt out on one of these? I am about ready to drop the fuel tank out the bottom and see if that gets me there.
A lot of extension, and a universal. I hated pulling the starter on my 8875. Do you at least have the luxury of having the arms up??? Mine quit with the arms down and it was a nightmare to get out. John
Nope, Arms are down. Tried an extension and swivel socket this one has part of the front housing covering the bolt. the new one is a smaller permanent magnet one with a clear shot at both bolt holes. I am not overly optimistic about this. bolt was loose and I am afraid some arcing may have occurred and welded the bolt and one of the ground wires on it. At this point I am thinking I need to drop the fuel tank so i can see what the heck is going on here. Any insight on that?
Never had the fuel tank out of mine. Dropping the fuel tank would give you a lot more room to get to the lower bolt. I did use the loader on our tractor to raise the loader arms which helped tremendously with access later. My starter was a permanent magnet gear reduction unit that I took off and replaced. I loved everything about that machine except working on it. John
well I got it out without dropping the tank but it was a bear. Ended up using a cheap distributor wrench leaning over the back and reaching down in and under the engine. The new one is the smaller permanent magnet type thank goodness. You actually have a straight shot on the bottom one with a long extension like you said.