Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bracket for laser reciever

Greg in KY ยท 2011-02-21 15:00

Is there a bracket to mount on a excavator stick the would hold a receiver for a rotary laser? I have a CTS Berger ALH rotary laser. I was thinking this would allow me to get the bottom of a ditch reasonable close to grade without a ditch man(or my lovely wife). Will this work or have I been thinkin' too much? I am not "in the business" . I just play around with small projects at home and farm. Thanks, Greg

Replies10
  1. #1CBS2011-02-21 17:31

    u can usually findleica depthmasters used on ebay pretty cheap thats what i use on my hoe they work awesome i dig basements and large commercial building holes on a regular basis they have a rank magnet on em u can position em pretty much anywhere in the boom or i know some hoes have blt hoes on the side of the stick which allows to make a bracket to clamp a pu onto thats what my buddy has on his deere 160

  2. #2Greg in KY2011-02-22 08:56

    CBS, I appreciate the response. I have been afraid of cheap lasers off eBay. However it sounds like your experience has been good. I might rig up a bolt on bracket that can hold something similar to the rod. I think about a 2ft section of rod would be ideal. It would be for a SK60 Kobelco I believe for about 1 hour time and some scrap materials I could come up with something. Has anyone tried this? Thanks, Greg

  3. #3ILLICEMAN2011-02-22 09:22

    I too use my JD 200 hoe on my farm,I would like to hook up a laser unit.Any ideas for up to $2000.00.Thanks

  4. #4ddigger2011-02-22 10:52

    On my 330L we welded 2 pieces of one inch square tubing about 2 inches long with a nut welded in one end to the stick about 30 inches apart. Then we used another piece of 1 inch square tubing about 36 inches long with a couple of holes drilled to bolt to the pieces welded to the machine. Then we justed clamped the reciever eye to that and slid it up or down. We also always used a zip tie for a saftey strap incase it ever came loose so it would not fall in the ditch.

  5. #5Greg in KY2011-02-22 12:41

    ddigger, I believe I'll give it a try. Good thinking on the safety strap. I can imagine me holding the busted receiver telling myself I had a good idea with 1 exception. I do see where CBS's Depthmasters would be the ideal tool. but "poor people's got poor ways". Thanks, Greg

  6. #6CBS2011-02-22 23:42

    lol ive seen nice depthmasters in ebay for 500 bucks its the only way to go for the guy asking up to 2000 bucks i bought my last depthmaster last summer new for about 1400 bucks we run 2 of them and both have been flawless we dig about 5 basements a week and its the only way to go specially when its minus 40 out in saskatchewan with a 50 k wind lol

  7. #7Drc2011-02-22 23:53

    There are several magnetic recivers that will fit on a machine, Agatec or somethng like that we have one I think it cost a few hundred dollars.

  8. #8CBS2011-02-23 11:48

    Them agatec ones look pretty cool id like to try the one that picks up 360 degree and has a cab mounted display thers are 1100 to 1700 bucks the ones i found

  9. #9Greg in KY2011-02-23 12:47

    I believe that this here redneck/hillbilly that would be jumping the first train south. Or a least dig deep enough to get a little of Hell's heat. ---Knowing my luck I would end up about 1,000 ft up-wind- --Should have hired a surveyor.

  10. #10candig2011-02-24 21:03

    DO'nt foget you'll need some kind of plum light to ensure your stick is always in the same position when your checking grade. If you don't use one its kinda like the grade man holding the rod on a 45 degree angle while checking grade.