Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bradco excavator flail

On grade ยท 2014-02-22 23:25

Just curious if anyone has run the bradco flail mower on a compact hoe ? Seems they are fairly new to the market with a couple of unique features . They are running a slip clutch setup between the drive motor and the cutter drum. Just want to know how you guys would compare it to the us mower or the rockhound ? They are claiming it is capable of 4-6 inch trees , but that would be too much torture on a small machine I think.

Replies7
  1. #1lumberjack2014-02-23 00:53

    I'm running a Rockhound 40EX Hammerhead on a KX057. I started using it Wednesday afternoon and have put about 30 hours on it as of today. The stock motor guard is thin, plan on building a replacement (my plan) or buy the thumb saddle. I also plan on beefing up the skids and the weld on portion of the motor housing. The other complaint I have is breaking the hammers pretty regularly, 7 so far. I'm checking to see if that's normal, and to see if the HammerHead can run the standard 3 blade setup at each station. On the Bradco: The slip drive seems pointless. It's going to do what it will do, the motor shouldn't need protecting. The design looks clean and a strong motor housing. My experience with the HammerHead suggests that 4-6" is a bit excessive. I can knock down a 6" tree by bowing it over, then mulch it by planing it. What are you running it on? Here's part of a job I did Wednesday. I'll be uploading more videos tonight or more likely, tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYp6raGO5wc

  2. #2On grade2014-02-23 08:28

    Thanks for the reply lumberjack ! Looks like that 40 Ex works really well on that machine. I was looking at some info on the hammerhead , and was quite curious about how it would work . I was hoping to find a 30 inch size flail to mount on my 40 kubota . As well as that 57 of yours looks to handle that ex 40 , I think I should be ok? Not looking to mulch trees. Mostly brush in ditches , limbs and brush along access roads and overgrown brush around comercial properties . I also thought the slip clutch idea may be overkill ...you would think the motor would be protected enough with the relief valve in the hydraulic circuit . Worried that the clutch will slip before the machine lugs down? Maybe it will not and the thing is bullet proof ?lol I was looking at the info on rockhound and us mower , then I happened upon a 30" bradco/paladin at an equipment show.Looks to be well built and solid by all means.I will compare prices on them next week .... But I will definitely pay more for the better unit whatever that may be....

  3. #3On grade2014-02-23 08:33

    BTW let us know how you make out with the issue of broken hammers , and if it is possible to run the normal flail knives. Thanks !!

  4. #4lumberjack2014-02-23 11:18

    The Rockhound mowers have an adjustable mount so that smaller machines can move the mount further towards the end of the mower to help with weight issues. My 57 runs it in the farthest back position (maximum reach). Regarding the slip clutch, I have an 83hp stump grinder with the motor connected to the cutter wheel via a poly chain, no slip clutch, no issues with that in near 3k hours. And yes, slip clutches (friction based) either work and wear, requiring adjustment; or they don't work and serve no purpose. I figure the knives are interchangeable, I have an email in and will report back.

  5. #5Jbullfrog2014-02-27 10:12

    I would think the slip clutch is there in the event of hitting something like concrete, or iron. It would limit the chance of blowing a line or damaging the hoe.

  6. #6On grade2014-03-07 18:03

    I know what your saying jbullfrog. Just thinking the relief valve should do the same . Could be great , could be trouble . I soon need to make up my mind before summer ! How are things going with the rockhound lumberjack?

  7. #7lumberjack2014-03-07 19:22

    That's not a big issue with flail mowers. I've hit rocks, T posts, concrete, dirt... none of them caused any issue. The Rockhound is going well. My only complaint is I'm breaking the hammers on bigger wood, trying to figure that out. As a cost it works out to about $10/hr which is absorbable. Also the knives will wear/dull out, so this keeps them fresh. I've been tackling some big wood (over 4") and that's likely what is causing it. The head is well on the way to paying for itself, I bought a car last week and am working out a deal on a house, so right now ordering the Defender isn't a priority. If I get a job where it would be beneficial, I'll get it coming. The 30EXHD comes with a saddle thumb and costs ~$300 less than the 40EX Hammer Head. If hammer breakage is a concern, that's what I would recommend for a 4t-~8t machine. I sold a 30EX with a thumb saddle to a guy with a Tak 3.5t. That should suit him well, weighing only 550lbs. The 30EXHD and the 40EX both weigh around 720lbs, and my KX057 can handle the weight on up to about a 15-16* slope with the tracks along the slope, working on the down hill side. Working over the blade, tracks perpendicular to the slope, I've mowed 35* slopes and one highway bank that felt steeper than that. I had to use the boom to help push me back up on this hill. Part of that was because of soft ground though. I've put a few videos up of the mowing, www.youtube.com/