Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brake band/linings for cat 931b

parky123 ยท 2014-08-05 17:33

got the parts and they sent me two sizes of rivits --- a long one and a short one any idea why? short ones don't even poke through brake and band is the rivet tool a special item from CAT or can a guy make one?

Replies7
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-08-05 20:43

    Best buy it from Cat, get the job done right. Later Bob

  2. #2parky1232014-08-05 21:25

    cat wants 20x what I paid for these and more than likely made in Mexico or India with our natural resources at a fraction of cost only to be sold back at this huge price(CROOKED) they sent enough rivits and liners (made in U.S.A) for both apps the long ones will do the job just wondering why the short ones also don't want to buy a special tool for huge dollar never to use again

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-08-05 22:00

    Expensive tool is cheaper than a lining coming loose. Later Bob

  4. #4Delmer2014-08-05 22:26

    If I were to attempt this, I'd see if I could modify a sickle rivet tool to do the job. Of course I've never seen the Cat tool so...

  5. #5tctractors2014-08-06 15:40

    A brake pipe making swage can be fairly handy if you dont have the correct tooling. tctractors

  6. #6Outasite2014-08-06 18:21

    Just done mine "D3B" a month or so ago.Used the long rivets.Take a large flat punch that fits the head of the rivet,put it In a large vise facing up.Set the rivet,band,and lining on,then I used a large roll pin punch the one with a *** on the end,and set it with a hammer.Looks like factory

  7. #7parky1232014-08-16 06:55

    what I ended up doing was I used 1 "- 10/32" brass machine screws (my place of employment donated them) doubled nutted and used a dab of high strength lock-tite worked like a charm