Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brake cleaning

chase546 ยท 2013-11-18 19:49

Cracked open the brake housing and low and behold differential fluid. Brand new bands and disks all soaked in fluid. Now given my back ground in the automotive field I knew this means new components. How ever the retired Case mechanic at he local tractor shop says not to worry we can burn the fluid out of them. This is a new one on me, has anyone else heard of this or tried it? Alrman do you have any thoughts? I found this, http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5776013_clean-brake-shoes.html

Replies50
  1. #1mitch5042013-11-18 21:10

    I have many times washed truck brake shoes thoroughly with Varsol and sent them back out with good results.

  2. #2JBGASH2013-11-18 22:00

    Mitch, what is varsol? I was thinking something similar to solvent but unsure.

  3. #3mitch5042013-11-18 22:54

    Parts washer fluid. Not the environmentally safe one.

  4. #4willie592013-11-18 23:05

    Yep, Varsol is an old school name for mineral spirits. Another to consider is Naptha. Give the shoes a long soak in either with occasional agitation, either will dissolve the oil. About the biggest difference between naptha and mineral spirits is naptha seems to evaporate a bit quicker when the parts are removed and drying out.

  5. #5mitch5042013-11-18 23:13

    Are you calling me old fashioned, Willie? I was just looking up Varsol, it is Exxon's trade name for a few different grades of mineral spirits. Exxon says it is still available, but for most uses it has been supplanted by new enviromentally safer solvents.

  6. #6willie592013-11-18 23:18

    You're calling the kettle black, no?

  7. #7mitch5042013-11-18 23:28

    True

  8. #8rust farmer2013-11-19 05:50

    Hey Chase546, You might want to look at how the differential fluid got in the brake housing before you put your freshly cleaned bands back on.

  9. #9chase5462013-11-19 19:33

    Oh, I know. The differential seals, like all of my cylinder seals have turned to dust, er mud. Just 1 more thing to fix... I think maybe a should have bought a new backhoe. Would probably be about the same money by now. But I wouldn't get the experience.

  10. #10rust farmer2013-11-19 21:51

    Yeah, I thought my backhoe was a deal of the century until I started pricing a new torque converter and parts for the shuttle. At least you have a Case instead of a ford. My parts have to come from England instead of from here in the states. By the time we are both done fixing our machines, we will both be experts in our own minds.

  11. #11chase5462013-11-19 22:02

    I actually looked at a Ford 555, new Kubota, a John Deere, and a Case 530. I traded a rifle the Case 580, I would have bought the Kubota but couldn't afford $360 a month for 72 months. I have more time and mechanical aptitude than money. And I have access to an abundance of new and used parts as well as a small Case junk yard.

  12. #12rust farmer2013-11-20 05:45

    It seems like the more time and money reasoning got me too. My Ford 5500 has turned into a full blown restoration. I know I will have a lot of money rapped up in this old hoe, but I didn't pay much for it. I have taken hundreds of pictures of the different stages of dis-assembly. When I get some time I would like to start posting all the pictures. I always enjoy all the pictures that everybody else has posted. It seems like it adds realism to the post when you can look at the pictures too.

  13. #13Tinkerer2013-11-20 06:17

    Did you happen to check with Joseph Industries ? I found them to be very reasonable on torque converter prices. http://www.joseph.com/

  14. #14Nige2013-11-20 07:39

    I've had good success in the past getting oil/brake fluid off brake shoes by throwing the whole lot in a bucket and boiling it on the stove soaked in water with about a 1/2 pound of laundry detergent, then rinse afterwards. Make sure the wife is out when you're doing it though.........!!

  15. #15rust farmer2013-11-20 09:11

    Hi Tinkerer, Yes I checked with Joseph. They said they did not carry that brand of torque converter. One vender told me that I had the Loc Ness monster of converters. The company that makes the shuttle and torque converter is called brockhouse. They are really nice people, but they are across the pond. It really makes it a pain to get parts. This machine will last me my life time when I get it done, so I'll keep working on it.

  16. #16alrman2013-11-21 15:42

    Occasionally.......Better late than never! ....... Just as well there are others that are willing to help! The method in the link is pretty much what I do in that situation.

  17. #17chase5462013-11-21 21:37

    I have thought about the boiling idea. I currently have them soaking in Pyroil brake cleaner.

  18. #18bowen2013-11-22 05:41

    Did you get the leak fixed?

  19. #19chase5462013-11-22 12:03

    It is on my list of to do repairs. I'm gonna be off for the next week. So... if the weather holds out I will have plenty of time to work on it.

  20. #2010ec2013-11-22 13:25

    My father was a tractor/auto mechanic in the 40's - 60's who usually worked on a shoestring budget. My first mechanic job for him was to clean parts using a brush, scraper, and gasoline. It is a wonder I lived through it! Regardless, he cleaned many oil contaminated brakes washing first with the gas and, after drying, burning the remaining oil out with a torch. Dangerous, but it does work. Just be careful and make sure the brakes shoes are as dry as possible before using the torch. BTW, if you do this, you need to use the best available solvents for removing oil. I would suggest brake cleaner containing toluene/acetone/MEK. I would not use the chlorinated brake cleaners/solvents.

  21. #21RTSmith2013-11-22 17:23

    If she's not out when you start- one of you will be out before all is said and done, I'd hazard to guess. And that's if you DIDN'T use the good soup pot...!

  22. #22HATCHEQUIP2013-11-22 17:39

    chase 546 Im in villanow stop in and see me sometime

  23. #23chase5462013-11-22 20:59

    Are you beside where the general store used to be?

  24. #24HATCHEQUIP2013-11-22 22:52

    that's us and the stores still there were just finishing up refurbing it

  25. #25chase5462013-11-23 07:05

    I may just do that. I haven't been over that way since the first house behind the general store was built. I know where your at though I remember seeing the equipment.

  26. #26HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 09:16

    That's where I call home

  27. #27chase5462013-11-23 09:28

    I may pay you a visit then. Is that a Kaiser excavator on your website?

  28. #28HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 13:56

    I think your seeing a menzi muck walking excavator

  29. #29chase5462013-11-23 14:58

    I couldn't remember the name and when I looked up "walking excavator" the Kaiser was the first to pop up.

  30. #30HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 15:04

    they were the same principle made for water or mud or the side of a bluff this ones set up for a stick and bucket and has a piledriving attachment allso

  31. #31chase5462013-11-23 17:33

    I've watched a few videos on those. I didn't think there would be any around here.

  32. #32HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 17:57

    Ive ran one here in GA cleaning out duck ponds and the like around marietta and Atlanta this one here came from Kennesaw they finished up driving pilings around a lake down there and I picked it up

  33. #33chase5462013-11-23 19:37

    Looks like it would be interesting to operate.

  34. #34HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 19:44

    Its different that's for sure

  35. #35mitch5042013-11-23 22:23

    Wow, I had missed a few posts in this thread, and I definitely had to read back to see how we got from washing brake shoes to a picture of a Menzi Muck!!

  36. #36chase5462013-11-23 22:27

    I'm sure that type of equipment requires frequent brake cleaning.

  37. #37HATCHEQUIP2013-11-23 22:27

    use the menzi to stir the pot of hotwater???????

  38. #38chase5462013-11-24 08:26

    I guess we should get back on topic. Should I use an oxy/acetylene torch or would a propane/ map be sufficient?

  39. #3910ec2013-11-24 21:13

    You should not have to get the linings that hot. Most gear oils flash around 350 degrees F or so. You might find the oil will leave a carbon behind which can be removed from the surface with some light sanding.

  40. #40Delmer2013-11-24 21:26

    Propane roofing torch/weedburner or a turkey fryer type burner would be quicker more even heat than a small propane torch. Or maybe just stick them in the oven?

  41. #41chase5462013-11-25 20:41

    I've heard I need an open flame. Maybe one of the ovens they use to clean engine blocks?

  42. #42HATCHEQUIP2013-11-25 21:36

    don't use mamas on broil or somebodys going to be in the dog house

  43. #43chase5462013-11-25 21:38

    No joke. I was actually thinking about the grill. I know I'd die for that.

  44. #44HATCHEQUIP2013-11-25 21:46

    I think ill pass on the next cookout or 2 until its cooked the smell out 90 wt flavored burgers ummm ummm

  45. #45chase5462013-11-25 21:48

    Wonder which would work better charcoal or gas?

  46. #46HATCHEQUIP2013-11-25 22:00

    clean um with brake cleaner "I think oreylies brand is best bang for the buck" let dry then bake um hot like others have said then rough um up with some real course sand paper then clean with brake cleaner again. As far as gas or charcoal depends on what tastes better HAHA gas would give you a longer hotter heat . don't forget to turn every 3 min at a medium heat or refer to your George foreman heavy duty cookbook -------later hehe

  47. #47chase5462013-11-25 22:12

    I soaked them in brake cleaner for a couple of days. It got about 80% out. Since its going to be raining tomorrow I'm going to do indoor shop work and burn em out. I wanted to put em back on but seeing as the left carrier plate in on the right side I'll have to wait till I pull it down to put the left back together. I have pics in my other post. Thanks guys.

  48. #48unclesid2013-11-26 13:20

    or make sure the wife does it, the boiling shoes in water on stove I mean

  49. #49HATCHEQUIP2013-11-26 13:41

    Well is the barbecue finished

  50. #50chase5462013-11-26 13:45

    Nope, not soup yet. Got tied up with a little kitchen repair today.