Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brake controller for electric brakes on air brake truck

bdog1234 ยท 2015-08-06 01:14

I bought a ten ton electric brake trailer and plan to pull it behind my dump truck which has air brakes. I see they make a brake controller that connects to the air line and outputs electric to the brakes. I know I can also tap in to the stop light wire and use an ordinary electric brake controller. The latter is cheaper. Just wondering if there are significant advantages to the air/electric unit making it worth the extra cost.

Replies3
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-06 03:24

    The air activated one will vary the current to the trailer brakes according to how much brake pressure you're applying to the truck brakes, most of the newer electric controllers work on a pendant system where the inertia of the weight throws it forward as the truck slows, that controls the current to the trailer brakes. The only drawback would be in a situation where the trailer was loaded heavy enough that applying truck brakes didn't cause enough slowing to activate the trailer brakes. Of course you can always apply them manually. I would probably go with the electric controller myself.

  2. #2norite2015-08-06 14:19

    If the cost is not out of sight I would go with the proportional air brake controller. The electric controller might fully apply the brakes on an unloaded trailer and skid some of the trailer tires.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-08-06 16:44

    Norite, that's true. The last electric controller I installed in my dually for towing a gooseneck triaxle equipment trailer had four step settings and a dial to adjust brake application, I usually used step 1 empty and step 4 loaded. You do have to remember to adjust to what's behind you.