Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brake failure wreck

skyking1 ยท 2021-04-05 12:50

I got down to the bottom of the hill at Waller road with truck and empty trailer, and straight ahead of me in the dead end across the intersection there were half a dozen emergency vehicles and I could see a destroyed vehicle, a truck, and then the container that came clear off the trailer on their sides at oddball angles. The only way he could have gotten there was coming down Waller Hill without brakes.

Replies20
  1. #1skyking12021-04-05 21:58

    The driver died. He lost brakes coming down the hill to the intersection, and managed to miss cars at the light in front of him and also the cross traffic. https://komonews.com/news/local/semi-driver-killed-in-tacoma-rollover-crash-after-brakes-fail What I thought were cars that he hit, were actually his load of crushed cars. Looking at the video in the link, his load came forward and wiped the entire cab off when the truck hit the containers at the dock.

  2. #2Truck Shop2021-04-05 22:03

    Cheap-o scrap hauler-not surprised.

  3. #3digger242j2021-04-05 22:18

    That was kinda cold. I'm disappointed....

  4. #4AzIron2021-04-05 22:49

    True point but the crushed car haulers around here absolutely terrify me some is hard to tell if the trucks been through the crushers as well

  5. #5_Weldman_2021-04-05 23:01

    Look how bald the tires are on the trailer too, I'm not surprised either!!! If they couldn't maintain the tires I could only imagine how far shot the brakes were that would of been found doing pre trip inspection.

  6. #6DMiller2021-04-06 04:59

    Cold or not is true, scrappers here run some pretty sketchy arrangements and equipment, scrap crushed cars are typically whole and just laying in a open top box.

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-04-06 07:36

    Not cold-strictly a true statement from experience. Years ago when towing got a call at 1:00 a.m. Car was headed east bound I-90 mp 93. Lady inside was impaled with a piece of pipe that went through the floor board and seat and out her neck. She had a husband and children they have no mother because a scrap hauler left a trail of junk on the highway. Junk haulers typically try to move at night around here and line up at the recycler before morning to avoid DOT, WSP. I had to help the coroner remove that lady from her car.

  8. #8DMiller2021-04-06 17:51

    Similar condition here TS, is almost as if they are crumb trailing to find their way back home.

  9. #9Coaldust2021-04-06 18:19

    Holy cow. Is that by Pioneer Way intersection he blew through? Almost ended up in that warehouse. RIP, Driver. Alaska Demolition leaves a trail behind them when they haul to the Port of Anchorage. Makes the tire shops busy.

  10. #10skyking12021-04-06 20:07

    yes that's my personal nightmare hill at Pioneer. Not a big deal but I drive it all the time and always remind myself to set up the gear and start onto it at a proper speed. Familiarity breeds complacency.

  11. #11suladas2021-04-08 00:31

    I was expecting a pickup with electric brakes. Air brakes failed? I was not aware that was possible?

  12. #12_Weldman_2021-04-08 00:41

    Neglect any piece of equipment and anything is possible on what can go wrong.

  13. #13DMiller2021-04-08 05:44

    Service line failure and misadjusted or Never adjusted even with auto slack adjuster brakes CAN, DO and WILL fail.

  14. #14skyking12021-04-08 09:52

    I roll up on the last 100 yards before that light jaked down to <25 MPH in 7th with the excavator on. Speed limit is 35 and everybody does 40~45 down that hill. https://goo.gl/maps/4oA3YVKpG4P4s9xS6

  15. #15John C.2021-04-08 10:34

    Brake failure is the fail safe for a lot of incompetent truck drivers. Officer, what happened fella? Truck driver, I entered the curve at 25 miles an hour faster that I should have and the brakes failed and the truck and trailer rolled over. It happened a couple of days ago in Auburn. I don't have time right now to find the news report to post it.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2021-04-08 11:45

    I have had smoke pour off brakes a few times in my day but never gotten to the point of them getting weak, even when smoking. From looking at the map, it does not even look like if you came down that hill all the way with no jakes the brakes would be all that hot, it does not look like a very long hill from my chair here. I wonder how many wheel end brakes were operational here.

  17. #17Truck Shop2021-04-08 13:57

    Brake failure? Maintenance/driver failure. If and I say if the brakes were in order along with all components and he knew he had a problem he could have pulled the yellow park brake valve which will automatically pop the red trailer valve and given the parking brake chambers had no broken springs or defects and his shoes/drums were in order that situation that cost him his life never would have happened.

  18. #184x4ford2021-04-08 16:56

    Actually saw a story on this accident on face book official cause was brake failure due to faulty brakes

  19. #194x4ford2021-04-08 16:57

    Screen shot of story

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-04-08 17:34

    You only get back what you put into it.