Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brake hanging up

kc5gxc ยท 2008-01-08 18:33

Howdy. Got a Komatsu D21P-6 and after sitting up a few weeks, seems like the right brake hung up. It wouldn't move at all on the right side. After a lot of back and forth, it broke free........it was working great after that. Has anyone else had this problem ? Is this common in high humidity environments? We have had a lot of rain recently. Thanks, Pete in MS

Replies5
  1. #1bobin352008-01-10 17:42

    not sure if those are wet brakes or not but i have seen the older cats w/dry brakes do the same thing

  2. #2R Leo2008-01-10 20:46

    Methinks the D21 has wet brakes. The D20 has dry brakes.

  3. #3kc5gxc2008-01-10 21:07

    They are dry....never did this before. Think I will back off on the adjustment on each side by one turn. Should help, I guess. Hate to mess with it, as everything is working really good....but don't want it to get permanently locked up...ha.......will crank and move on a weekly basis from now on. Another thing....trying to order parts for the blade assembly, and the book I have shows different work equipment (blade, supports, etc.....) than what is on my machine. I went to Komatsu in Hattiesburg, MS and their computer shows the same thing.....however they pulled up the D21-E and there was my setup !!!...........dunno know what that means, but it means something... My dozer has a big ole D21P on each side. Maybe it's a hybrid ?? ha. Thanks, Pete in Poplarville, MS

  4. #4Jeff D.2008-01-10 21:25

    Pete, when you say the brakes "hung up" do you mean the track won't not turn when you want it too, or it won't turn (engage)when you want it too?:beatsme It's not like I'd have the definative answer either way, but so I understand. But if you track is moving around, and you can't stop it, I'd suspect it May be the brake, but if it won't engage, probobly the clutch on that side, IMO. Good luck! Jeff On edit: I guess what I was getting at is usually the track brake isn't powerful enough to stop a track from turning if the clutch is working correctly on that side. If a track isn't turning that track clutch has problems regardless of the brake condition on that side.

  5. #5kc5gxc2008-01-13 20:15

    Hi Jeff and others The track would not turn Machine had been sitting up. Clutch ok, would bog engine down when engaged. Finally , after jerking back and forth...in forward then reverse...it released....all ok then. Later , I backed off both brake adjustments by one turn. Will also start machine and move around a bit at regular intervals from now on......everything working good now. Thanks Pete ps: I almost knocked a corner post out from under my dozer shed in the freeing up process.....close call !!!!!!!!