Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4 Antarctica

Northart ยท 2008-01-07 20:57

Old Cat D4 in Antactica, still working.:usa

Replies11
  1. #1PSDF3502008-01-07 22:59

    Now thats something you don't see every day!!

  2. #2SouthOnBeach2008-01-07 23:16

    Did the KoO get lost? its probably one of his :drinkup

  3. #3Dozerboy2008-01-08 19:36

    An open cab........... that guy is a tough SOB.:usa

  4. #4bobcat ron2008-01-08 20:38

    Cat is indeed Legendary.

  5. #5Northart2008-01-08 23:38

    Operator ? Hello Dozerboy, That is a Female Operator. Summertime in the Antarctica. Her name is in the blue , bottom right corner. There was a series of pix, of work in the Antarctica, I seen. I remember that was a Female operator Karen ?? or some twisted version of it. They were cutting apart an old fuel tank, some kinda clean up effort. Not her normal job I gathered. The Cat D4 had been there many, many years. In a remote part of the continent. So they used it. A '50's era model ?

  6. #6Wulf2008-01-08 23:48

    Indeed... those penguins look mighty disinterested of that though

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-01-09 06:12

    D4C in Antarctica. Hi, Northart. Must be real short days and little work happening up your way. You're sure getting a few posts up for an ole feller. LOL. Unless I miss my guess, that D4 is a 'C' series, the last of the side-mounted blade lift rams. They were not the best D4 that Cat ever made. Then they brought out the D4D and a LOTTA people were happy 'cos that little jigger was a world beater. I see the penguins have got the dozer figured out - maybe the lady operator too. They're staying well clear. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

  8. #8Northart2008-01-09 06:36

    Dozer ID Hi Deas, I shoulda put the dozer ID in my notes, but did not. Looks much like a D4-7U I had at one time. So, it could be a 39A or 40A series also. Yes, I'm staying indoors lately, not much inclined for outdoor activity right now. 5 hrs daylight? I'm off all winter, semi-retired. I'm waiting on a 10:00 x 24 Denman Tire to show up this month. Was supposed to be in before Xmas . Getting all my tires fixed up , on my Cat 212. Not really any hurry. :drinkup So, I show a little more passion about heavy equipment than most people. Another hobby interest here. Still discovering I'm not the expert I thought I was. LOL :usa

  9. #9alan627b2008-01-09 15:00

    D4C maybe? Early 60's? Judging by the shape of the fuel tank, but still has the outdie mounted dozer arms. Just a guess. alan627b

  10. #10surfer-joe2008-01-09 21:08

    You should learn something new every day around heavy equipment Northart.

  11. #11Northart2008-01-09 21:38

    Learning about equipment Hi Surfer-Joe, I'm always learning about my lack of education, knowledge, experience. Especially here. :drinkup The open wheel (Dayton style) grader 8" rim fits the 10:00 x 24, 13:00 x 24 , and 14:00 x 24 tire. So even though different p/n's the Cat 212, 12,14, rims all are interchangeable. The p/n's cross over on upgrades. Now I picked that up from all the parts books. Now I'm waiting for someone to tell me wrong .