Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brake problems

case 580sm ยท 2012-04-28 19:32

Hey lads, Recently when I was working with my hoe, I noticed that the brakes were stiff, and squeeking. I'm taking them apart this week, to see what's the problem. I hope there not done, because it's about $3000.00 to replace them. Any suggestions, or advice, will be helpful thanks case 580sm

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2012-05-03 08:06

    " Stiff & squeaking" ?? Was the pedal higher than usual? Sqeaking only when applied? All the time while applied or just before the machine comes to a stop? How many hours on it? & when was the last time you changed the rear axle oil?

  2. #2rare ss2012-05-04 08:59

    i had issues with a Komatsu WA320 loader once, the noise coming from the brakes (internal wet disc) was really bad, sounded like they were metal to metal and very harsh to operate, did some homework and changed the diff oil to a Castrol Agri AS gear oil, within 15min of operation problem was gone I would be changing the oil with the correct spec oil before i pull the diff thats for sure

  3. #3case 580sm2012-05-05 21:15

    The machine has 4800hrs on it, and when you you fully press the brakes it's stiff, and you hear a sqeaking noise from the rear axle. The rear axle oil hasn't been changed in that machine, front or rear as far as I know becaue I'm the second owner. Would it help if I were to change the oil in the front, and rear planetaries? Thanks guys, case 580sm

  4. #4alrman2012-05-06 01:43

    I think an oil change at this WAY overdue time would not repair your problem, you could try it , but I think the damage may already be done.....