Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SL Swing Cylinder instalation

shopguy ยท 2012-04-28 17:00

I have to put the swing cylinders back on a 580SL and I am not sure how they go sence i did not take them off (not that that would have helped) but does anyone have a pic or could you tell me,does one have the grease fittings on the inside (next to the other cylinder) and the other have the grease fittings on the outside(toward the frame)or are they all four on the inside? I know the hydraulic fittings is what realy i need to know about but i thought you could tell me this way without scooting under if i need to flip one or both. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Tinkerer2012-04-29 08:05

    The online parts book shows one part number for that cylinder. I would think that means they are interchangeable. Only the right side cylinder is shown in the drawing. There is also a reference drawing also that shows the hose configuration.

  2. #2bowen2012-04-29 08:16

    I thought most of these swing cylinders get the seals replaced on the machine without removing the rear mounts.. No? I can try to make photo for you of mine, but it's a 580SE.

  3. #3jdm2012-04-29 13:32

    Here is mine

  4. #4shopguy2012-04-29 16:02

    Thanks jdm but i cant get the pic What am i doing wrong? Thanks to you to bowen but i have a SE and they are not the same critter under there, yea i see what you mean but in this case the hole cylinders are being changed.

  5. #5shopguy2012-04-29 16:07

    Yea they are the same but i think i need to flip one so they will have all 4 grease fittings on the outside and both big front crossover hose fittings on the inside.Is that the right side when digging ? where is the hose ref. ? THank You

  6. #6willie592012-04-29 16:34

    Right here.

  7. #7Tinkerer2012-04-29 16:36

    You would need to position the grease fittings in such a way that you can get to them with your grease gun. The zerk on the cylinder rod eye can be repositioned by turning the rod in the stationary cylinder. These pictures are for a Series 2 580SL. I didn't look at the Series 1 parts list. I guess we almost posted at the same time Willie

  8. #8shopguy2012-04-29 16:54

    Thanks guys that is just what i needed got it sorted now.Got to flip one.

  9. #9jdm2012-04-29 17:01

    Well that didn't work.

  10. #10Tinkerer2012-04-29 21:50

    Did you try to post a picture ?