Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brakes locked on Caterpillar 216B

03spfld · 2019-12-02 14:05

I’ve got a parking brake light flashing (again) and machine lost movement function and brakes are locked. Has anyone here bypassed the ECM and brakes temporarily, just to get this loaded On the trailer and to my shop. Thanks

Replies21
  1. #1rmllarue912019-12-02 23:37

    Don't try and bypass brake solenoid it sensitive could cause ecm or solenoid damage.

  2. #2rmllarue912019-12-02 23:38

    Does seat belt light go out when bar is down and weight on seat

  3. #303spfld2019-12-03 12:57

    Yea, seatbelt light goes out. Bucket etc works, park brake light flashes and I don’t Have any forward or rearward movement. The ECM is already fried, the bottom of the ECM case is corroded away and has moisture inside board.

  4. #4rmllarue912019-12-03 13:51

    Ohm check solenoid I think it's low amp like 1.5 to jump solenoid with full power will burn coil right out and not help cause... If you jump with power supply from seat bar it might work ? I'd unhook connector and not back feed ecm

  5. #503spfld2019-12-05 17:09

    Finally figured out how to bypass that piece of junk computer. Straight wired the park brake valve and ran power and ground to movement joystick upper solonoid.

  6. #6Bigbowen35002026-04-07 18:22
  7. #7Simon C2026-04-08 14:29

    The computer on these units sits at the bottom of the machine against the chain case wall. Problem is that they are very hard to get at and dirt gets in behind the computer and then moisture. Have seen quite a few pictures of the back side of the ECM rotted out becuase of sitting next to wet dirt for years. Does not include the fact that if I remember correctly they have a small ground strap attached to the wall it is mounted on that gets totally corroded. If the computer does not have clean power from battery positive back to battery negative , simply won't work. How dirty is it around the one you are working on Bigbowen3500. Simon C

  8. #8Nige2026-04-08 14:36

    “curious to see if this fixed your problem completely my skid steer parking brake and seatbelt lights flash but can’t figure out what the problem is. If you had success jumping it I’d like to get some more info from you on it“. It may have been a Band-Aid but I’ll bet money it didn’t fix the problem long-term. See this thread. It is exactly the symptoms you have and contains all the answers and diagnostic procedures that you need. If you have any further questions I would suggest that you create a new thread and if you do please include a machine Serial Number. CAT 226B Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing Hello, I'm trouble shooting Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing on my CAT 226B serial number MJH08353. In the attached picture, in purple I highlight what I believe is the detent coil. I have two questions, first, is this the detent coil? It's located under my right hand... HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Bigbowen35002026-04-08 14:50

    Both computers look almost brand new there in great shape on the outside. No rust or corrosion at all. The wire and loom look to be in great shape also. The machine has 400 hours and was owned by an old man i know until he sold it to me. The only thing he used it for was yard cleanup at his house.

  10. #10Nige2026-04-08 15:52

    See the thread I linked above.

  11. #11Simon C2026-04-08 18:27

    Well if it has only 400 hours, it is next to new unless the hour meter was changed. Could be relatively simple. Read the armrest indicator info that Nige posted and maybe the problem will be obvious. Has not had some mice in the belly pan by any chance. Simon C

  12. #12Bigbowen35002026-04-08 18:53

    I will follow the thread and see where i end up. Belly pan has always been very clean. It’s strange the machine won’t start unless I’m sitting in the seat with the lap bar down. It fires right up and runs great just won’t move at all. Thanks for the help guys.

  13. #13Nige2026-04-08 19:19

    One thing to bear in mind. The first post of the thread I linked contains an electrical schematic which was appropriate for the 226B in the thread. Check the cover page carefully to ensure that it also covers your machine Serial Number. If it doesn’t then come back and give your S/N. Someone most probably will be able to come up with the relevant one to cover it. Here’s a question. Do the bucket lift and tilt functions both work.?

  14. #14Bigbowen35002026-04-08 19:56

    *CAT0216BCRLL04980* is the product identification number. Would that be the serial number? I have no controls at all no movement in the machine or the bucket controls.

  15. #15Nige2026-04-08 20:05

    The Serial Number is actually the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN, therefore RLL04980. I checked the electrical schematic on the linked thread and confirmed that it covers your machine Serial Number. That puts a different complexion on the problem. Before digging into the thread I linked do a simple test first. It will require two people. Have your assistant open the engine compartment door and observe the hydraulically-driven cooling fan. You sit in the cab and start the engine. Does the fan start spinning IMMEDIATELY the engine fires up.? (It may even start rotating while the engine is turning over on the starter.)

  16. #16Bigbowen35002026-04-08 20:28
  17. #17Bigbowen35002026-04-08 20:30

    Yes the fan above the motor? If so as soon as the starter engages it spins and stays on when running

  18. #18Nige2026-04-08 21:33

    OK, so that’s ticked the box regarding the condition of the coupler between the engine and the pumps. If it had failed the fan would not be turning. Head off to the thread that I linked earlier and have a good read through making sure you understand it before breaking out the tools.

  19. #19Simon C2026-04-08 23:48

    So the schematic RENR6419-06 is the correct one as you have posted Nige and yes he's checked the coupling so will watch for what he finds in the control stuff. I could not see the serial number of the previous post till I looked harded and yes same schematic. He posted his serial number so that helps as there is series 3 models but not applicable in his case. Is your laptop back in action. Simon C

  20. #20Nige2026-04-09 00:16

    Not yet. Waiting for news whether or not the tech managed to recover all the info from the hard disk including all my profiles. Starting to sweat a bit…..

  21. #21Simon C2026-04-09 09:52

    My wife did triple back ups of all my stuff in case somehting goes wrong. Siimon C