Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brakes sqealing on 580SL

69zfarmer ยท 2014-07-05 06:47

I have a series 2 580SL.It only shows 2000 hrs. on a working hour meter.I have had it a couple of years now and the brakes have always made a loud squeal right before the backhoe stops and quits moving.Really noticeable when inching up to something going downhill.It is worse when you have a load in the front bucket.Is this common and would you worry about it?

Replies5
  1. #1melben2014-07-05 07:02

    The oil needs changed in the transaxle. Replace it with Case brand HYTRAN ULTRA, there is also an additive Case supplies to work with the brakes. A good dealer will have it on the shelf. I have dealt with this problem several times over my career and if there is no component wear it helps or cures it. Just hope that it hasn't been mistreated by running with the park brake on. Mel

  2. #2willie592014-07-05 10:01

    I agree with melben, I've worked on a number of Case loader/hoe that had the exact squeal you refer to, in pretty much all of them Case Hytran cured it.

  3. #3Killbox Alpha2014-07-05 21:05

    I agree, you need to change the fluid. Deere had this problem back when the H series wheel loaders just came out. Of coarse this problem is accelerate due to the heat in the south. We discovered Exxon has an oil out there that is premixed with their anti wear/friction additive. We used this with great success. I have attached the link for reference. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobilfluid_424.aspx

  4. #4lantraxco2014-07-06 02:58

    Cat had the same issue starting with as I recall their IT series loader machines in the wet brakes. CAT sells an "Axle and brake oil additive" now, I think they used to just use small amounts of the hydraulic oil additive way back in the last century, like 1999.

  5. #5El Hombre2014-07-06 12:35

    Fords squeal and shudder if you don't have 134 fluid in the axle.