i've decided on buying a 580C. actually supposed to be delivered today...... It will be mostly for use on the farm, but would also like to pickup side jobs, I would like to get a trailer to haul it. I've been looking at a bumper pull tilt deck 14K trailer, the complete machine its self weighs just shy of 12k with buckets, and my truck has a 15k hitch. If I decided to do side jobs it would only be about a 20-30 mile radius, rural roads. According to the "numbers" everything is good to go, but I wanted some insight for others that have hauled with a pickup before. I've also looked at a few gooseneck trailers but the ones I've found are in pretty rough shape and higher in price I can get the bumper pull for new. another Idea was getting a dump trailer, and putting the machine inside it to transport it, and be able to haul dirt/rock/whatever. while at a jobsite.
Dump trailer is a great idea it's what we do with the smaller machines unfortunately the dump trailer will weigh a lot more than a tiltdeck so you lose quite a bit of legal capacity... we also use goosenecks with the smaller machines and I have to say they are way more comfortable safetywise to haul with!!! I like your thinking about keeping the jobs close we though the same to start with... but as things change we find jobs over a hundred miles away look as good as 30 miles away
A 14k trailer isn't going to cut it here IMO. Some of the 14k trailers have 2-6k axles and a 14k GVW, obviously that would make the situation even worse. 12k machine + trailer weight of what ~4k? That puts you at needing maybe up to 2k pounds of tongue weight, that is a lot of tongue weight for a bumper pull hooked to a pickup. Even the class V hitches max out at less than that with a weight distribution hitch setup. A 14k gooseneck might work because then you can put 3-4k tongue weight on the pickup as long as the pickup can handle it. If it were me I would skip the trailer all together, drive it on short trips and hire it out longer hauls.
had my backhoe delivered today. he hauled it 2.5 hours on a 10k trailer, with an f350 as the tow rig. it was a gooseneck and had tandem, duelly axles on it, deck over too. he told me he would have brought it on a gooseneck, tandem single wheel deck between trailer but it was loaded with another piece of equipment. he said he is a little over legal weight, but most trailers and the tow rigs are under rated by about by at least 2-3k lbs. I told him what my plans were and he said a 10k would be perfect, but said if I could get a 14k for a good price that would be even better, he did say stay away from "bumper" hitch trailers and go with a gooseneck though. and also recommended a trailer with brakes on all axles. I still havent decided on actually doing this, and I probably won't because I know if I have a way to haul it, family and friends will be wanting me to bring it over and get some free work done.... I just figured I'd let you all know what I was told by someone who transports these everyday.
Not sure how the DOT is around your parts but lately around here they are heavily targeting small contractors using f350/f450 size rigs and trailers!!! pretty much every morning we see the DOT vans with some truck and trailer pulled over getting the full meal deal with jump scales and all that.
If that gooseneck trailer had 2 axles with dual wheels, it's not a 10k trailer. It's probably a 10 ton trailer, 24k gross. The smallest dually axle I've ever seen is a 10k axle .
No big DOT presence around here unless your on the interstate and the tag on the trailer said 10, 000lbs. I couldn't believe it either considering it was a 30footer. Also I misread the spec sheet on the case site. The machine only weighs 10, 225lbs with both buckets. I originally took that number and added the buckets which brought me to almost 12, 000 lbs.
The tag on the trailer could be wrong..... The important thing here is like Mitch said the trailer had 10 tons of tires and axles under it. A friend of mini has been hauling a 11k machine around on a 14k pintel hitch trailer with a late model dually pickup. This trailer has ripping 2 wheels off on separate occasions, all short low speed moves.