Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brand new Cat 289D

spatterfree ยท 2014-10-02 11:33

Jut delivered yesterday, traded our old 262C for a brand new 2014 289D what you guys think? was it a good idea?

Replies27
  1. #1spatterfree2014-10-02 11:35

    Old machine that we traded, had about 1300 hours, still lots of use left.

  2. #2JNB2014-10-02 14:02

    Nice looking rig. Did you get the backup camera?

  3. #3spatterfree2014-10-02 14:16

    yes rear camera, has all the options except for the return to dig, is that something we can add later one? does anyone know?

  4. #4CM19952014-10-02 20:22

    Congrats!:drinkup The 289 will probably be my next CTL. What kind of work do you do? Just keep in mind if you haven't ran CTL's before to adjust your rate for the higher expense of running a CTL over a tire machine.

  5. #5big ben2014-10-02 20:31

    Looks awesome I'm sure you will love it ! What changed in your work scope that you are changing from tires to tracks ? Had tracked machines before or just trying something new ?

  6. #6DoyleX2014-10-02 20:39

    A track machine will make a worthless operator half productive. You will never regret going to tracks. Nor will you want to run a wheel machine again.

  7. #7spatterfree2014-10-02 22:43

    we were debating tracks or tires on the 262c, have a big job where tires don't work, just not enough traction so we rented a Volvo/JCB to try, had it for a month, but decided we'll rather stay with cat and trade our old machine, so far it looks nice, it's louder when traveling on high also kinda slow, but so far it looks very nice and easy to operate.

  8. #8spatterfree2014-10-02 22:46

    right now we are working a big project where tires don't work, this is our first track skid loader, but we had several rentals through the years for small jobs.

  9. #9pafarmer2014-10-03 07:53

    It was a fantastic idea....Here is one of our 2014 289D .....great machine...

  10. #10spatterfree2014-10-03 08:40

    Nice! Does anyone know how the return to dig works? Is it an option?

  11. #11spatterfree2014-10-03 10:21

    here is a short video of me using the skid loader while holding a camera http://youtu.be/Vzq4V52zpX0 also a video of first ride, http://youtu.be/9cuUQgiUaWk

  12. #12pafarmer2014-10-03 10:25

    RTD or Return to dig and ride control are both options, along with a bunch of others features, CAT needs yo make money you know , so most everything useful is an option..they both work good on my CAT.....I ordered both on mine and like the ride control allot , RTD is a decent feature if your loading a lot of material on a regular basis , which is not something I do often....hope that helps

  13. #13spatterfree2014-10-03 10:32

    Thanks, then it probably doesn't have the RTD, Has the advanced display, ride control, 2 speed, high flow, but i don't see anything about RTD

  14. #14pafarmer2014-10-03 10:39

    It doesn't have than.....you will never know what your missing then , so your OK without it but don't run one with ever...

  15. #15DoyleX2014-10-04 07:35

    Still has the single idler in the rear??? I thought all the D's came with the double or triple?

  16. #16durallymax2014-10-05 21:38

    Its something the dealer activates, most likely for a fee. To use it you program in your bucket angle so it remembers what you want, then to use RTD you curl the bucket and drop the boom while clicking the float button. As long as a track machine is what you need, I'd say you made a good choice. Traded our 262C2 for a 262D a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. Lots of nice improvements on the D series. Surprised you feel its louder, I would make sure nothings loose, but then again maybe its just a CTL thing. I ran a 289D for a few hours and thought it was nice. In hi range the motors do whine a lot I guess. If you are pushing dirt sure, but believe it or not there are still tasks where tires are superior. I would never trade our wheeled machines for a CTL. I'd love to have one CTL when I need to push stuff around, but 90% of the work an SSL is better at.

  17. #17Plebeian2014-10-09 18:07

    The Caterpillar 299D XHP with steel tracks looks pretty awesome. http://www.equipmentworld.com/cater...racked-299d-xhp-with-land-management-package/

  18. #18pafarmer2014-10-09 18:13

    We have been running tracked 299's since early spring of this year in the US....full forestry package , steel tracked units...it's an awesome set up for the rugged terrain we run in daily. Rubber tracks were wearing off the machines in less than 1000 hours...

  19. #19CM19952014-10-09 19:19

    Our Cat Rental store has one. It's been in the fleet for about a year.

  20. #20caterpillarmech2014-10-09 22:03

    I highly recommend the triple idlers. I see a lot of the operators in my area run the tracks off weekly. Lots of tight turning in packed places though. The RTD feature can be turned on for a small fee. The dealer has to turn it in in the computer.

  21. #21Hardline2014-10-10 00:12

    2 different pictures of 299d. One with a straight boom one with a curved. I do not like the straight boom.

  22. #22durallymax2014-10-10 08:54

    Why don't you like the newer straight boom? Visibility is better, auxiliaries are in the boom, and you can actually see the attachment plate now. It's kind of eggs and unrefined looking plus if kinda looks weak, but I like it. The one person boom lock is nice too.

  23. #23Hardline2014-10-10 09:21

    To be completely honest I do not have any hands on experience with the new boom. I think visually it just looks kind old school like a 580b back hoe. With the pin bosses welded on the outside of the boom like that and being a straight piece of material just looks like you said unrefined. I guess as long as it is tough and the operator has better visibility then I does not matter what it looks like. and to the op, congrats on the new machine. I do have a customer with a 262c and it has not been his favorite machine.

  24. #24spatterfree2014-10-10 11:01

    actually i think that new boom is very good, better visibility and it feels sturdy, also Cat lowered the front of the boom so it's easier to climb in.. Tracks.... what do you mean with 3 idlers in the back? i see a multi terrain track with rollers on bottom, but don't see more or less idlers in the back.

  25. #25spatterfree2014-10-10 11:03

    and the 262 has been great, only issue we had was, joystick wasn't calibrated properly, skid loader wasn't driving straight.

  26. #26Hardline2014-10-10 11:11

    Yea my customers machine has had Ac problems 3 times now.(currently out again) engine oil pressure codes, and turns out a wiring harness causing erratic drive controls. Machine had 3 trips to holt cat. new controllers, new ECM and eventually a harness but was down for a total of about 3 weeks for the one problem. On edit his previous machine was a 236b with minimal issues until it ate a drive motor at about 4k hours.

  27. #27durallymax2014-10-10 18:10

    Yeah it looks ugly, but has a lot of advantages for visibility, climbing in and out, and maintenance. Not sure if its stronger or not. The C series booms looked a lot more refined, but the look of the D series is starting to grow on me. At first they looked like an ugly old 252B but now I don't mind it as much and you can definatley spot a D series from a mile away. Is this the 262C you mentioned before? Our AC was a nightmare too. Just impossible to keep everything cleaned out and working right. D series is 1,000 times better. Evaporator and heater core sealed to the cab, condensor mounted to the door and easy to clean, life is good now. I think they must have doubled the blower speed too. Most of the summer level 1 on the blower was still too cold. They do a terrible job of mixing though, they may have a million "clicks" on that temperature dial but the reality is you get freezing air conditioning, fresh air, heated air.