Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brand new mini

Soulfly3 ยท 2016-07-19 04:34

Hey people, So after 10 years of hiring an operator to do my retaining wall drilling he is closing shop And getting out of the game (retiring but keeping the excavator) I should have just bought one 10 years ago and would have paid it off many times over! So my question now is what brand should I go for? I live in Melbourne Australia. 90% of work is drilling to depths of no greater than 3.0mt 10% general landscaping My operator told me to look at the Hyundai R17? I have 2 friends dads who work for Komatsu and CAT which could look after me.. Or is Kubota the GO2 brand? Service centres are all close regardless What would you guys pick? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Soulfly32016-07-19 04:42

    2.0 tonne and under

  2. #2Soulfly32016-07-25 15:25

    Thanks for the replies.. Ill make it easier, as my work is 95% drilling By looking at specs of machines is there a way of seeing which machine Will be better fit for my purpose ie hydraulic flow, stick force etc ? Or does it come down to the torque of the auger drive? Sorry as you can tell I am learning

  3. #3hvy 1ton2016-07-25 15:44

    Auxiliary hydraulic flow and pressure and the only things that gonna effect an auger drive. I don't think anyone makes a bad mini these days. I doubt there is gonna be any standout machine in the 17 class. It will probably come down to which dealers really want to make a sale and provide good after sale service. That said the top of my list would be Cat 301.7 CR, Kubota u17, Hitachi ZX17 in no particular order.

  4. #4Soulfly32016-07-25 17:38

    Thanks Hvy, Really appreciate the reply, According to a spec website Total flow of hyd main pumps, implement & swing (liters/min) Hyundai = 60.57 Kubota = 46.37 And Max relief valve pressure (MPa) Hyundai = 22.55 Kubota = 21.57 Does any of the above relate to much? Or am I just over complicating? Other than that machines are all very similar and same price too Hyundai offers 5yr 3000 compared to Kubota 3yr 3000 Hyundai has 1 dealership/service centre VS kubota approx 4/5 dealers and service centres.. Kubota I see them everywhere and all the hire places use them Never seen a Hyundai.. Maybe that answers my Question

  5. #5hvy 1ton2016-07-25 21:56

    Most of the rental houses around here have botas as well, the major exception being the Cat stores. Total flow doesn't necessarily equate to aux flow and not a lot of manufactures publish that spec for excavators. I know nothing about hyundai mini's but i know a couple guys that have 140's and like them. I don't know if Hyundai rebrands mini's like most of the manufactures or if they build their own. Edit: Hyundai minis might be made by Hannix if that helps any. Never heard of them til i started digging. :beatsme

  6. #6Soulfly32016-07-26 19:12

    Great thanks mate, Ill keep reading and making calls

  7. #7MattNCSU022016-08-23 22:48

    I can't speak for the 17, because I've never seen or ran one, but we're having excellent service out of the Hyundai 35's to 60's. Running Yanmar engines and haven't had any issues other than the occasional hydraulic fitting not being tight from the factory.