Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trail building with mini ex

code54 ยท 2016-07-15 19:55

Next week I am going to start my trail building project with a kx91 (7000lbs) machine and while I have read several threads on trail building I still had a few questions. What is the best way to got from a down hill (fairly steep) trail to a zig zag down the hill trail. I will be coming off my yard into the woods and it is rather steep so I will have to come down and make a sharp left turn to start the zig zag down the hill. I'm just not too clear on the safest and best way to make the bend and flatten it all out so it's no totally off camber. I was thinking of building a larger flat spot to give some extra room for turning from downhill to side hill. Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1melli2016-07-15 22:10

    Do you have a lot of time in your machine? I was just foraging in the forest in mine today, making a trail, getting rid of standing dead trees. I hit a few steep spots, but I always have blade in front on downhill side and I usually have a plow full of dirt and rock in front to fill in the holes. Also, I am wary of high pointing myself, so I back up and make sure track is level'ish. For switch backs, I just go straight down, make a landing, then build the switch back from down low or high, depending on where the material is... I avoid being sideways on a steep slope in the forest...your asking for it. Plus, your maneuverability is hampered if you have a lot of trees and your in a jam. Just straight down, then you can back straight back up, using bucket to push you back up if you lose traction. Your bucket can allow you to go down seriously steep slopes, if it is front, as is your blade. Then, when I am in a good spot, I lower the blade for stability, and rotate if need be, to clear. Problem I'd find if I'm sideways on a slope is sliding into a tree (just few inches is all it takes in heavy forest), then I'm hooped. Did that a few times, and cab is pinned against tree, and I can't really move without breaking something.