Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brand new trailer with hot hubs

Jim Dandy · 2014-07-31 19:18

I bought a brand new 25 ton triple axle trailer and when I first picked it up running empty on the highway for about 45 minutes I noticed the hubs were hot. Didn't want to leave my hand on them. It was a 90 degree day. I called the dealer and they said run it. I did. about 2 weeks later I found 3 axle seals leaking one so bad that it soaked the brake pads and left oil on the mud flap. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced all seals on all 6 hubs and the brake pads on the rear axle. I am running it today with about 23000 lbs on it and I check the hubs with an infared thermometer and all hubs are about 140-150 degrees (except for the lift axle hubs they were 92 degrees) My question: is this normal? The dealer made sure no brake pads were dragging and said the drums showed no evidence of excess heat (bluing). What do you guys think?

Replies6
  1. #1ben46a2014-07-31 19:40

    Well 150 wouldn't worry me but It would have been interesting how hot the others were that burnt out the seals.

  2. #2Diagonal Brace2014-07-31 21:50

    Preload set too tight?

  3. #3Jim Dandy2014-07-31 21:57

    What is preload?

  4. #4mitch5042014-07-31 22:12

    The tightness of the bearing adjustment nut. It would be my guess as to your problem, but, if they changed the seals, they changed the preload. I hope the bearings weren't damaged, too.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2014-07-31 22:13

    How tight the bearing on set.

  6. #6gkenworth2014-08-01 00:00

    I ran into that pulling a brand new 8 wheel stacker to a clients gravel pit this winter. One hub I couldn't touch for more than 2 seconds. Outside temp was @ 0°F. & stacker hadn't moved in dealers yard in over a year. I carry an infared thermometer now. 150° is a safe number. Keeping in mind there is a huge heat pump right behind that hub.