Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using conveyor belt on trailer deck

wilko ยท 2014-08-05 12:27

I'm thinking of nailing or bolting two lengths of belting from a crusher on my equipment trailer to keep dozers from tearing things up. Anyone ever seen this done?

Replies3
  1. #1Desertwheeler2014-08-05 12:47

    We have used them to track across roads should work just fine.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2014-08-08 23:47

    I keep rubber belting on my trailer to lay down when I haul tracked machines. My wood lasts much longer, and it keeps the tracks from sliding. If you nail it, the bunching motion of tracks will tear it out. One way to do it is to put rope over them every few feet running through holes in the deck right next to the rubber, then tensioning the ropes with rubber snubbers. This is a high maintenance option, as the ropes and rubbers will need constant work. Heavy bolts may work if you are hauling light machinery, but won't hold it loading D-8's and such. I now just roll my rubber mats up and chain them down, then unroll them as needed for tracked machines. Also, when rubber belts are wet, they are very slick, so sometimes in the rain I will leave them off and sacrifice the wood. Good luck.

  3. #3Andrew_D2014-08-09 15:15

    Neighbour gets used tracks from ag tractors - Agco, Case, Deere, etc. But they are heavy enough that it takes either a team of guys or an excavator/loader to move them around. He uses them on the deck of his lowbed and for crossing roads. Plus side is that they are (nearly) indestructible! Andrew