Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brass fittings assortment

Shimmy1 · 2025-10-19 10:04

Anyone have a good source for a brass fittings assortment? At some point, having push-fittings would be nice, but I think it would add $10k to the price tag.

Replies24
  1. #1Coaldust2025-10-19 14:57

    NPT, dot compression, dot push-in, SAE 45, push lock, rubber air brake fittings,…. That’s a chunk of $$. I’ve been fairly pleased with Fastenal. I’m noticing shops in my area, ditching Fastenal and switching to Grainger for reasons. I put my own collection together in Fastenal drawers, but that’s time consuming and it nickel/dimes you. Then, I moved everything into Milwaukee Packout to make it mobile.

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-10-19 19:10

    I ordered through Discount Hydraulic Hose.

  3. #3Junkyard2025-10-19 19:45

    I’ve used Lawson since I built the shop in 2009. They have good products and I usually get stuff I order no more that two days later. Find your local rep and really negotiate on pricing. They have different tiers just like everybody else. Tifco, Kimball Midwest and others call on us all the time but they just don’t seem to take care of us the same. Now granted I’m good friends with my rep but that came from years of doing business with him. For example on some of the pricing, say a hydraulic fitting is listed on their website at $45, the lowest tier pricing should put that fitting down $25-30. Good reps will also deal when you’re making a large purchase such as you putting together a complete setup. They can do special pricing and deals.

  4. #4Acoals2025-10-19 21:29

    Dultemier for some stuff, also McMaster Carr . . .

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-10-19 22:02

    Actually if have a account at Freightliner--they can beat most, at least around here for DOT fittings.

  6. #6Shimmy12025-10-20 00:27

    I've bought from Mytee before, this actually looks reasonable. https://www.myteeproducts.com/dot-air-brake-connector-male-straight-8525.html?

  7. #7Vetech632025-10-20 09:01

    I just dumpstered several bins of fittings off my truck last week. I bet I've tossed out over $10k in fittings, valves, and hoses. I didn't figure I would ever sell the stuff

  8. #8Oxbow2025-10-20 09:42

    Tacoma Screw has good assortment drawers. I haven't done any price comparison with them.

  9. #9Junkyard2025-10-20 10:17

    You’re killin me. How else am I supposed to leave a mess for my kids?

  10. #10skyking12025-10-20 10:45

    Like planning for gold but there's no gold for anybody else in there.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2025-10-20 10:58

    Every part needs to have its own compartment with a label, otherwise it is as good as not having the part at all.... If you have a mixed drawer of parts the ones that sell frequently get used up and never reordered because the ones that are useless make the drawer look like it still has parts in it when it is time to order.... At least that is what I tell myself....

  12. #12Truck Shop2025-10-20 11:23

    Good Man! Because you likely wouldn't have sold but a few, more trouble than worth. When shop was shut down and stripped of inventory, I probably tossed 12K.

  13. #13Vetech632025-10-20 11:49

    Yeah, but it still feels like a crime against humanity

  14. #14Truck Shop2025-10-20 14:03

    Only for a moment because the wife will come up with something that will take the mind away.

  15. #15Vetech632025-10-20 17:15

    Shes just coming up with more "projects". Guess how those get done. The only other thing that she might come up with to take my mind off this......im too old and its too dam exhausting lol

  16. #16Coaldust2025-10-20 17:22

    I’ve seen it too, mass quantities of bin stock, given to the scrapper. There isn’t any practical solution for repurposing it. And, it feels like a crime. Because, next week, you will need a single fitting that will solve a problem. A 400 mile round trip, a missed barge, days of downtime, because of one fitting.

  17. #17Junkyard2025-10-20 17:25

    The perfect combo of personality traits is a hoarder that is also OCD. All that crap gets organized and they know where it is. My shop was like that to a degree. I knew where the random stuff was when we needed it. With so many people here now stuff gets moved around and we end up tossing stuff to get back to something resembling clean and organized.

  18. #18Truck Shop2025-10-20 18:06

    I don't believe that condition with a hoarder has ever been documented. * I remember cleaning the storage area of auto machine shop I worked at. Two & three deuce manifolds with carbs and several sets of finned 21 stud flathead along with chevy six two deuce Fenton split in the scrap.

  19. #19Truck Shop2025-10-20 18:29

    One thing to note--used push lock fittings normally aren't worth saving.

  20. #20LN Pipeline2025-10-20 18:53

    Another vote for Tacoma Screw. Northwest Pipe usually has everything, but good luck getting decent prices from them.

  21. #21Truck Shop2025-10-20 19:42

    T-Town--as it's called for years, kinda thought it was a odd name for a nut/bolt outfit. tacoma screw. * They do have good stuff though, best price on flange bolts/nuts.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2025-10-20 20:36

    I bough air line off them it was junk would kink really easy. It was the cheapest i could find!

  23. #23Shimmy12025-10-20 20:38

    Bought some G100 chains and binders from them a few years ago. Decent price, maybe 15% more than the Chinese junk from Mac's Hardware. Maybe it was Chinese junk as well, lol.

  24. #24Old Doug2025-10-21 07:39

    I have a trailer i leave behind a store that buys stuff from shipping companys i think that gets lost, damaged or something during shipping . They put stuff in my trailer that they dont sell that i can scrap. Its unbelievable the pipe fittings . I have been savings some i was just about to scrap them but i was told about a Amish store opening that may want to buy them. Fittings is just the tip of the stuff that is in my trailer but i sure dont want to save it and it takes time to find buyers for the stuff.