Hello, I am needing some help with a 2005 caterpillar d4 g. I bought the machine about a year and a half ago, not long after we broke a track pin. Since we've broke four more, three this week. Everything looks ok externally but the last pin had some rust on it in the middle were it fits in the rail. It's has about 3400 hr on it. The pins have sealed plugs so I can't reoil them. I don't have a lot of knowledge about this problem. Maybe it's just time to replace undercarriage, but there is still a lot of grosser left. Can I just replace rail and reuse pads. And about how much $ for rails? I can purchase both tracks and sprockets for about $5,000. I need to have the dozer working right now since I've just got quite of bit of work for it. I bought it for my small businesses and personal use occasionally. But had people wanting us to work it and had a good operator needing some work. I really don't need to spend the $5,000 right, So if someone can give me some other suggestions on what else might be happening since it looks ok externally. Thank y'all for this forum and for y'all's knowledge.
Some pictures of the broken pins might help, if you got that much work then you might want to spend the money rather than loose the work or the operator.
I would like to keep the work but it's not my main source of income and would like to keep the operator. So I would like to know if there's been anyone who has had this problem before to give some advice to buy me a few days. I'll try to get a picture. Thanks
:witpic
Amen Nige. Pics!