Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Engine/Tranny line-up

springbear ยท 2014-08-16 19:23

Hello everyone, I have problems with the line up of the Engine and Torque Converter. I bought this D4D Cat (serial # 22C407) and the previous owner ripped the 4 rubber "donuts" between the flywheel and the Torque Converter. I have the 4 new donuts but the two flanges do not line up at all! They are a hair more then 3/8" out (!) if I mount the donuts on the flywheel flange. If I - carefully - jack up the transmission, they come in line, but when I release the jack it is the same 3/8 again. I did noticed that the transmission and torque converter are NOT supported at all on the frame. It basically hangs on the differential housing flange! Is this normal? My question is: Is there not a missing bracket or strut bolted on the frame to support the weight of the transmission?? ( I can't reach the former owner anymore) And I don't see how I can otherwise lower the Engine 3/8" to bring it in line with the torque converter flange. Does anyone had the same problem, and if so, how can I fix this? I know I have to come close to zero between the flanges otherwise the rubber donuts will be ripped apart again. Every suggestion is welcome. Thanks!! Rene Terrace, BC Canada

Replies7
  1. #1overworked2014-08-16 20:34

    Your front engine mount sounds like it could be worn letting the front sit low, it should be a trunio mount.

  2. #2springbear2014-08-16 21:22

    That sounds very logical, never thought about that! Thanks, I will check that out first. Rene

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-08-16 22:00

    I only read a small bit on the alignment of your engine and it didn't make sense. Not sure about your engine mounts but read up on 955 951 941 coupling alignment. I think the same spec's would apply. Later Bob

  4. #4Bluox2014-08-17 00:27

    Your transmisson shoud not move, check the mounting bolts on the transfer gear housing and the transmisson. Bob

  5. #5springbear2014-08-17 11:07

    Yes Bob, I suspect the engine mounts are not tight, so it might have moved when I put the jack under the transmission. It all makes more sense now. I will check this out. thanks for your reply, really appreciated! Rene

  6. #6Bob/Ont2014-08-17 11:17

    The mounts must be tight and the alignment within spec or the biscuits will be ripped out very fast. Later Bob

  7. #7springbear2014-08-17 20:16

    Yes I found the specs for the 955 which is similar (as far as I know; same coupling) I will make sure it is as close as it can get. TTYL, Rene