Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Breaking ripper bolts and chauffeuring baby birds around

Oldcatpusher ยท 2019-07-07 18:19

Been a long week. Broke all the bolts on ripper cylinder for the 3rd time. Can't take much up pressure. They're grade 8. 1/2"x 3 1/4 Should I go with a grade 9 or does anyone have a better ideal. Ripper can't take much up pressure. At least the birds have got smarter and went for a safer home rather then building in the exhaust and getting shot out like an astronaut come Monday morning

Replies6
  1. #1mikebramel2019-07-07 18:29

    Are you running with the piston bottomed against the head.... You will have the hydraulic force on the base of the piston AND external forces that way

  2. #2Oldcatpusher2019-07-07 18:36

    Yes I try to keep it up all the way to keep rippers from dragging. Aftermarket kenco rippers. 3rd cylinder they've gave me. I don't think they go up far enough. They go down plenty far though. Maybe I need to add an inch or two to the rod.

  3. #3mikebramel2019-07-07 18:41

    You know what I'm saying... that will do it Looks like there is room on there for 5/8"

  4. #4Oldcatpusher2019-07-07 18:51

    That's what I was thinking. Bigger bolts. I like my equipment over built. We dont usually get easy regular jobs. It's either swamp or rocks

  5. #5DIYDAVE2019-07-07 21:13

    Have you checked the cyl, to see if the rod is bent or draggin, somewhere?

  6. #6mikebramel2019-07-07 21:16

    Yeah. Only other thing you need to check is the rod stud size. Need to calculate strength. No point I upgrading the head flange if you will then bust the rod