Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Breaking tracks!!!

inthedirt ยท 2009-11-03 21:06

I was just wondering... What do y'all use to split crawler tracks? If it has a split link, well duh, thats a no brainer. But if you have to split it in the middle of the track (away from the master) or the master is froze in tighter than all get out, what do you use? I know there are track presses that would be pretty snazzy for the job, but..... we don't have one. We just use a sledge and a BIG bolt welded to a heavy handle and beat the daylights out of it.:Banghead A press is the "advertised" method but I didn't know how common they are or where a good place to get one is. Just wondering.

Replies21
  1. #1td25c2009-11-03 21:22

    Hi & welcome to the forums inthedirt.I weld a 2 foot long 1 1/4" shaft to the master pin.Heat up both sides of the rail bosses and do my best "Cool hand luke" impression.Swing dat hamma boy!It's always worked for me.Good luck with it.

  2. #2QuickTrax2009-11-03 21:23

    We use the same method. Two guys, a big hammer, and a big pin welded to a piece of pipe. We have a portable track press but by the time we set it up we usually have the pin out. We cut a lot of pins out w/ a torch. Most master pins are under $20 dollars and cutting them out is fast and easy.

  3. #3inthedirt2009-11-03 21:38

    That's kinda what I suspected. The company I work for kinda "shares" tools between the 6 stores and our HQ's has a track press. Only problem is it has to come on truckline delivery and usually the decision-makers don't want to wait on it. Especially when there is one of those emergency field jobs! One day when beating the *%&# out of a pin I just kinda wondered what the press is like and if anybody else uses them. Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

  4. #4OCR2009-11-04 00:38

    But don't ever let this happen... between dat hamma, and dat 2 foot long 1 1/4" shaft, 25c. :lmao Turn your sound up!...lol http://www.destgulch.com/movies/luke/luke18.wav OCR...

  5. #5Drifter2009-11-04 00:48

    Track press works good I hang it from my crane on my service truck. If I am having a hard time with the pin take your cutting torch and blow out each end of the pin. Let in sit for 5 or 10 min to shrink and most times it comes out pretty easy.

  6. #6zbo22009-11-04 01:02

    i have a ball joint press, it's a large cast c-clamp style press for ball joins or u-joints but has a 7 inch throat so as long as the track itn't any larger it should work. you can put an impact gun on it, it has a 3/4 inch fine threaded hardened bolt that goes through it. you can torque it up, apply the heat and smack it or the link. i'm sure it would free you up from the beating thingy. i just wish i would have remembered that i have it cause today i split both track chains down on my 500E with the ole' smackin the hammer deal. i hate this old age where i can't remember sh**....lol

  7. #7maddog2009-11-04 09:14

    OCR, that's one of the best lines ever, use it on my kids and dog all the time.

  8. #8SterlingR2009-11-04 11:11

    I always used a pin driver and sledge hammer, but replaced the wooden handle of the pin driver with a piece of stiff cable. No more vibrating hands if you did not hit it correct.:bash

  9. #9cps2009-11-04 12:52

    Never used or seen one of these, but i think it would be a great tool, it clamps to the track and alows one person to knock the pin out!

  10. #10TannaB2009-11-04 17:21

    testing

  11. #11QuickTrax2009-11-04 21:01

    CPS, I have never seen one of those before. We do a lot of work in the field and my mechanics biggest complaint is he never has anyone to hold the pin knocker while he swings the hammer. After I show him this picture, we will probably have one made before the weeks end. Thanks for the pictures.\ QuickTrax

  12. #12inthedirt2009-11-05 07:12

    Hey CPS Not that the boss would actually buy one... I can hear him now-"we never had to have one of those before, I just beat them out the old way, you guys are always wanting something, only a sissy would need that, etc..." but where exactly would a guy get his hands on one of those? That's pretty cool:thumbsup

  13. #1368ATractor&Box2009-11-06 14:24

    That track tools looks like it could be a usefull bit of tooling when your on your own in the field. It would'nt take much to make one looking at it. As for the boss saying "we never needed one of those" or "those are for sissys" and "I always used to do it the old way" he needs a good swift kick in the Boo Radleys or a poke in the eye and then buy 2 of them on his account just to spite him.

  14. #14Trakwork2009-11-06 16:40

    Wow.. that Track Tool is a great idea. Got a link?

  15. #15LonestarCobra2009-11-06 18:55

    Those track presses are nice on bigger machines. On D-6 and smaller the sledge hammer and pin work just fine as it takes a little time to rig the press up. I have maxed out the 150 ton cylinder pressing a 245B track apart and had to help it with heat and a sledge. Fun Fun!

  16. #16cps2009-11-15 08:24

    Hi guys sorry i havnt replyed to this thread for a while heres a link to the hands free track hand www.wtcmachinery.com they have some other great tools on there CPS

  17. #17Phil2009-11-15 17:27

    Here's a picture from ACMOC of one tool. Cutting into each end is by far the easiest way, especially if it doesn't move after several tries and the master pin starts to swell. Using two torches, one on each link, is better also. Phil

  18. #18QuickTrax2009-11-15 19:33

    If only I could get away with cutting holes in peoples track pads. I like this setup better but the holes I would cut wouldn't go over too good.

  19. #19Scrub Puller2009-11-23 03:11

    Yair...we used a jelly gun. this was a piece ten inch square solid steel about three feet long with a hole up the guts to take a piece of inch and a half shaft. There was a small hole drilled through the side through which you could feed an electric det and start off with about two inches off a standard plug of gelignite. Worked like a charm on Nine G pins provided you had everything lined up propper. Also worked well on ducks if loaded with ball bearings.

  20. #20RobVG2009-11-25 00:39

    Ah yes, the "Putter"... Be sure to be the guy with the hammer and give the other guy some gloves.

  21. #21watglen2009-11-25 08:17

    :notworthy:drinkup:falldownlaugh I love it! On a smaller machine it would punch out the pin,and dismount the track in one big bang. Sounds like a real labor saver!