This old 6 was rusty even in the cylinders.One piston and liner giving me a fight.
Yep, looks like you got quite a project there. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Well I hope it Purrs.One man said it would never run and work.Hope the jokes on him. The owner said a Mechanic looking for a job told him number six couldn't be pulled with out removing the engine.
D6d Here is some more of ol Rusty. Pics not showing up.
D6d Some more of ol Rusty
Pics I hope.
View attachment 81293 View attachment 81294 View attachment 81295 View attachment 81296 Some more
Well something is wrong.One pic gone some show as Attachments.
me are subscribed
No worries Bill, the more you work with it, you'll figure out what's going on. I'm not sure why they're showing up as attachments.
Yah....the attachment part of this forum is a bit klunky. I had the problem with "attachment text" a few weeks ago but I don't remember what I did to correct it.
I don't seem to have these problems posting pics. Have you guys checked out this thread?
More pics.I hope.
when did they start puttin rebar in bottom ends? :tong
That is an option But you have to order it from me at a very low one time only price. Really that's what I had to use to jack the pistons out.
Did you have to use any special tricks to get #6 out? Those connecting rods haven't seen oil in awhile
Believe it or not #6 was the easiest one.Took my rebar and hit it with the hammer and out she come.Now #3 was a different story.Just got it out today.Piston and liner at the same time.Piston was stuck so bad.Not rust just a lot of carbon.
Hi Bill I was going to tell you that yes #6 can come out engine in place but you,ve found this out yourself; so laugh is on the other guys. Thats the beauty of a 3306 it can have a in frame overhaul; abit dirty and arkward but it can be done and then your back at work; and they still can do alot of work even 30 yrs after they were built. I see its got a sleeve metering fuel pump on it so pull the square cover off it to make sure its got no water or rust in there to cause you stress. US built D6Ds kept being made with these pumps; wereas allthe japanese built ones went back to the old scroll system; and then a interim scroll on the DI models. A coat of paint and she,ll tidy up quite well. Do you intend to keep and work her or selll her ? keep us posted and dont be shy with the camera Merv
Well Merv she doesn't belong to me.Thats the good part I get paid to wake her up and not have to buy parts.He paid $5200.I think he is going to use it for awhile.Undercarriage is about 90%.This Machine sat near the Gulf at least two years.But so far most of the bolts let go think I broke three side panel bolt.But one bottom roller is leaking and I hope those bolts come out easy.
That looks like a great project! I'd love to find an old girl just like that to tinker on.
Lots of nasty and hot work but I enjoy it.I got a quote on inframe parts with a new turbo.$2500.Not bad for a CAT.
2stick, Keep us posted. Don't be shy with the camera!!! QuickTrax
That other 'special tool", lying on the track w/the pistons in the pic below the shot of the lower end............ Is it available separately by special order, or only available with the "piston puncher" referenced??? Can it be had with an optional wood handle? Inquiring minds need to know. Possible bulk buy customer pending. RJ
You can get it separate with the wooden handle at extra cost because wood is high.But hurry if you want metal handle because scrap iron is going up.
Update finally got the pistons,sleeves and bearings.Cleaned rust off rods and installed new pistons.Then washed inside of engine and installed sleeves.Got five mains rolled in.So hot I decided that was enough for now.More pics later. Was told the man working on a Cummins put his sleeves in a freezer.I guess this helps but I all ways put plenty of hand soap and they go in pretty easy.
Thanks for the update Bill. I was actually wondering how you were making out on this just the other day....now we know. Thanks, and keep the updates coming!
Good to hear that you are making progress Bill. Yeah, this heat is miserable. Not as bad on the east coast but still up there. I'm looking to score one of those big round 42" fans on wheels.
I have an old Attic fan but the motor burnt up.Got to hot I guess.
Hey Bill, I've been wondering how you made out? Haven't seen updates for quite some time, and finally remembered to dig up this thread.
did the a/a trans cooler go away when they changed to a direct injection motor?
oldirt; yes DI motors have a full width radiator; and a much bigger oil to water trans cooler. No oil to air trans cooler.
saw that and the pre chambered head and figured but didn't know for sure.. the oil/water cooler is great but it will plug eventually with crap from the transmission.