Well HDX and Trakloader I grab the challenge starting this new thread British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.(BCFP) Company dates back to 1946. It was merged of several companies. Once it was the 3rd. largest lumber producer in Canada. Looking forward to see some great posts:canada Now gone - it's a shame
#6-211 looks like an ancient truck.
Trakloader 6-211 went to BCFPs Renfrew Division new in 1955. Later years she was sold to contractors and now is owned by our outfit Island Pacific Logging. It was in the Courtenay yard for a long time and now is sitting at the Cameron Shop outside of Port Alberni waiting to be driven down to the Sarita Shop yard as a standby tanker. Trouble with all these old girls is they belong in parades and old truck shows NOT still working. Sure says something about a 55 year old logging truck dont it. We have one down there now and we call it "THE MOUSE HOUSE" cause they moved the whole family into her.
I will get hold of some of the Cowichan guys and tell them about this site--should be able to come up with some great truck photos (and other BCFP stuff)
1955!! Amazing that something can last that long in service! I figured she was pretty old, the old fashioned Cummins was a dead giveaway. Looks pretty good for her age, I'd say.
Yes she is and 3-216 is a pretty old lady as well - she is from 1960 Here are a few pictures of 2nd generation HDX - this is old BCFP #209. When delivered it was yellow and you can see some part of old paint and BCFP name and unit number at left door
Pics of BCFP #209 hopefully she will be restored so she can go for parades
A few pictures of old HDX BCFP #207 (Timberwaste #36-70)taken in summer 2005. This truck has been restored now and goes for parades/shows.:canada 4th pic shows Hayes HDX from 1963. Scrapped in 2006/07 Last pic is a KW properly scrapped now.
HDX that would be neat. Looking forward to see some great pictures Well I might start a CZ thread as well. They had a lot of interesting equipment and a lot of HDX preoaders both standard set back front axle and set forward front axle model(my favorite) Thanks for info of 6-211. I did not know she was that old
How do you identify a set forward axle compared to a set back? I've looked at a lot of pictures and can't really see a difference in the front. Some do look like they have a longer wheel base.
Well it is very easy to see. I will post some pics and info at the "Vancouver Island.." thread. I think it's the right place (I can't remember if BCFP) had any set forward axle.
Hayesno1 The first picture on this thread Unit # 3-132 was an Elk River Timber dump truck when new As shown in photo she is in BCFP colors because ELK RIVER TIMBER was bought out by BCFP Also the last picture of the KW taken at Saratoga Ventures was also an Elk River Timber unit and was indeed cut up At least the owner tries to save everything he can but sometimes finances dictate what must go. The pics of the HDXs #207 #208 and #209 were three sister trucks --They were of the first HDXs built in 1954 All three of them are 1954 and were no 2,3 and # 4 built The first Hayes HDX was sold to Butler Bros in Sooke BC but was later sold to Bill Neil Contracting of Victoria That truck worked for many years but was destroyed in a bad accident up Jervis Inlet. We tried to track down her remains in an attempt to restore her but had no luck. Those three trucks are in good hands and are safe from the scrappys. The one in the pictures #209 has the original 300HP cummins supercharged engine in it but alas the engine has issues due to attempting to start her with water in the exhaust system--bent some rods. That is how we got her. I will relate the recovery trip bringing two of them home another time
Thank you HDX for great info . I have an article from 1955 about those BCFP HDX. In article is mentioned some specs and which division they operated. I have to find it in my "hidings".
This is a great thread! HDX: I know where there is a derelict Cummins 275, and a 320, both of which seem to have a few salvageable parts. The rods should be the same as the 300, if you need them, let me know. You may also be able to identify the HDX pictured in Wilmer Gold's book, "Logging As It Was". Remember the one, pulling the lowbed with a TL-15 Trakloader on the back, loading stray logs onto an older, smaller Hayes? Hayesno1: Keep the pictures coming!
Old HDX #236 (preloader with cable) and pics of P16
Hayesno1 that picture you just posted with the P16 conventional with the trailer on its back taken at Honeymoon Bay Dryland That Truck was the P16 featured on the cover of the Pacific Truck and Trailer pamphlet showing how its done at Pacific. Her original unit # was 6-258 went to BCFP Caycuse Division Driver was John Bell. This truck was involved in a runaway after being sold to Island Pacific Logging before they took over the Franklin River Division Operation. The runaway happened down in Sarita and the truck was towed back to Messachie Lake Shop. Some years later she ended up down at the Sarita Shop as a parts Donor where she lays today Sad end for another P16
Some pics of a former BCFP truck. It's Hayes HDX model 32-80 from 1960 unit #3-215. This truck is for sale at present time. HDX has informed me that truck when new went to PITT LAKE in 1960. #3-215 went along with 216-and217. Thanks HDX Pics were taken in summer 2005, Campbell River.
Is that a 6-110 in the old girl?
It's a GM 6-71 engine, 5X4, spring suspension, Bud wheels, 12:00-24 tires, 2,500 gallon water tank. I got a poor picture of chassis plate so it is very difficul to read/identify digits ei. Engine model no: ??307-RD. First 2 digits may be "12" so it could 12307-RD. It doesn't to me.Engine seriel no at plate is: 6B18554. Max speed was 29 mph.
Judging by the intake and exhaust configuration, I'd say it's a 6-110. I could be wrong... 29mph! Let's hope the fire isn't too far away! The 6-71 is usually around 200hp, give or take a few each way depending on vintage. 320 would be in the correct hp range for a 6-110.
I am a novice when speaking of engines. You are properly rigth - It had a 320hp engine when she left factory in 1960 and Gross WT was 80.000. As mentioned in my earlier post it is for sale right now. I got engine information "GM 6-71" ForesTech website See link: http://www.forestech.ca/details.aspx?iid=501
Pictures of BCFP P16 now operated (well in 2005 ) by Koprino Logging. Port Alice july 2005. I don't know BCFP # unit, maybe someone can ad some infomation. At door and rad. guard it says #3031
Just looked at the pics at Forestech, it is a 6-110. Good price, too, you should buy the old girl! Be the first guy in Denmark with a HDX in your yard!
Sure that would be great and price is good all though I would prefer to live on Vancuver Island - well we all have a dream or two Did you check the site several interesting for sale. In background of pictures you can see several Hayes HD and HDX. I can't figure out who is present owner.:beatsme
Maybe HDX will know.
Well I found the article from 1955. It's about BCFP Harris Lake Camp which was completed as a full truck operation in November 1954. 4 out of 8 new of BCFP' Hayes HDX 30-80 models were in operation at Harris Lake together with 3 KW CD-849 models in 1955. All trucks were powered by NHRBS Cummins diesel. Hayes trucks got Fuller 4-speed model 4-FS-1400 transmissions, Timken rear axle and 12.00x14 tires. Logging trailers were 35 ton Columbia - 12 ft. bunks and 30 in. stakes.
Isn't it amazing, they pulled logs with such underpowered trucks! Nowadays guys think they need 500hp. diesels in their pickups, just to pull a snowmobile. Much of the biggest wood ever seen was pulled out by trucks with 220, 275,and 300 Cummins engines, and 6-71's and 6-110's. Many had 5x2 transmissions, too! Did the early HDX's have the mechanical parking brake, too, or did they have maxis? BCFP must have been very progressive. Salmon River Logging and Kelley Logging were both still buying new chain drive KW's in 1955!
Article is mentioning that average load were 12.000 board feet although 16.000 were not uncommon and some loads even went to 20.000. Those early HDX trucks had 300hp and torque converter hydrodynamic braking system besides standard pedal brake. HDX might post more information.
Wow, the old girl still has the original engine! That's amazing, so many of them older Cummins engines melted under heavy loads.
Yes she has. Original exhaust pipe went through top of hood! HDX might have mentioned it an earlier posting.
Oh, okay, is that the one with the bent rods? Many of the early trucks with the supercharged Cummins had the conventional stack up the back of the cab originally. By the time that HDX was built, it was found that the long stack created too much backpressure, so the new trucks had straight pipes right through the hood, and the older trucks were converted the same way. They tell me that the stack would often have a flame coming out of it when pulling a heavy load!
KW W900 old BCFP truck. When pic was shot it was owned by Munns. I don't know present owner
Parked BCFP KW trucks and a Hayes HDX preloader:canada
Old BCFP trucks still going strong in 2010.. Old BCFP trucks still going strong in 2010.. Old lady HDX 36-71 water truck is from 1954-55. All pix were shot on The Island
Picture #2, that truck belongs in a museum, not in the bush fighting fires!!
exhaust Hi, Really find this whole forestry section interesting.Having been to B.C. a few times and touring around Vancouver island, did manage to see some of those Hayes trucks-not in action unfortunatley.Being from a construction background , can relate to the engine/ driveline subject . But the trucks themselves are impressive.Hauling those heavy loads and I'm sure at times not in ideal conditions would have taxed the profanity mill of many a driver. Like the fender mounted exhaust :drinkup Dominion:canada
Trakloader You are right but not quite yet--She is in good hands where she is She is a 1954 one of the first HDXs built I believe that she was maybe the 4-5th built. Note the cab Very different than later Hayes's They built a special cab for these first ones and used the Clipper Conv. doors--only because they had them right there. First Clipper was built in 1953 so they just modified the cab till the engineers could redesign the HD cab and make it work.
Yeah, the Clipper doors really make the early HDX's stand out. I always worry about them old tankers, after what happened to H-225. I'm glad that one is in good hands!
In late 90s two BCFP HDX Hayes Preloads were sent up to Sandspit from their Caycuse Camp. One was unit # 40-126 ex 6-249 This was Johnny Sawatskys truck and I wonder if it is still around? I would have to look through my pictures to find out what the other truck number was. Both these trucks came through Franklin River on their way to Port Alberni to have the 5th wheels changed prior to barging up to Sandspit. Sure would like to know if ether of them survived and is still around. Sad that of all the Hayes Preloads BCFP had very few are still around.
I have not seen #40-126. I have only seen #40-127 and you know her. I am not sure if she was an old BCFP truck, but she is a preloader.(I will post some pics of her at Hayes Truck Thread) The BCFP HDX preloader above on this Thread got unit #40-109. Pic was taken at Courtenay 2005.
Hayesno1 Couldnt sleep till I found those pictures The two trucks that went up to Sandspit were 40-126 ex 6-249 and 40-137 ex 6-253 Dave Wiskins was driving one of them and cant remember who the other driver was as they went through Franklin Camp on their way to Port Alberni .6-253 went to Silver River up at Harrison Lake new and when they shut down she was transfered to Renfrew Division
Hayesno1 That picture you posted of the BCFP HDX pre-load unit #40-109 That is for sure a mystery BCFP never bought pre-loads in that configuration all theirs were the folding reach type, This truck was obviously a BCFP unit though because of the paint scheme. When both CrownZ and BCFP were taken over by Fletcher Challenge they used Crown unit #s, It would not be in anybodys best interest to take a Crown Z unit and paint it BCFP colors when after being taken over they would go to Fletcher Challenge colors (all ORANGE) The truck has my attention--Here is a shot--Back in the 80s when Skogland sent all their equipment to the RB Auction there was some of those Hayes Pre-loads there -at least two I know that Crown Z bought at least one maybe two but this could have been the second or third truck The problem would be that this truck would be a stand alone truck in other words it would not fit in with their other trailers because of the system of loading them. It could be very well that they needed another truck somewhere and because of auction prices and availability they bought her and sent her to one of their camps. If there was preloads at that camp they could very well have made it work because you can do anything with these trucks. After all it could still pull their goose-neck trailers It is a real interesting truck Will have to reserch her further
HDX. Re. BCFP #40-109. You might be right but as I remember those 2 Skoglund HDX preloaders that were auctioned had the same set forward axle as H17.
1967 Truck Logger magazine add Found this add in one of my old mag's, shows quite a list of camps running back then. ( sorry if its not clear enough )
Greatwestcam. We left BCFPs Brittan River Division in 1957 and that was when they were moving over to Glacial Creek across the Inlet but Vancouver Bay was the big Camp and Brittan River was a sattelite camp. Dad was a High Rigger and then went driving log truck # 170 These were the Heartshape Grill Hayes's 1947 models. Andy Burns was also a driver there as was Johnny Cushnorinco (Sputnic) John went on to BCFPs Caycuse Division and drove there till he retired All those camps had a "camp boat" for emergencies and the B/R boat was the Osulphrie I cant remember the exact spelling--I do however remember "Boat Day" because the Jervis Express would bring everybodies groceries from Woodwards in Vancouver man that was great- store bought bread and us kids could always grovell a little ice cream from the cook house. Vic Ramsay was the super up there back then.
Back in 1947 BCFP was growing and had these operations 1-Tom Brown Lake Camp-2 Brittain River Camp-3 Glacial Creek Camp-4Vancouver Bay Camp-5 Narrows Inlet Camp-6 Vancouver-7 Pitt Lake Camp-8 Hammond-9 Camp 3(NitNat) later sold to Crown Z-10 Camp 6 (Caycuse)-11 Youbou-12 Harris Creek Camp-13 Beach Camp-14 Bear Creek Camp -and 15 was Victoria.
Hayesno1 You are right!!! Need glasses Cant see the forest for the trees!! That just means that Crown Z got both those Skaglund trucks I remember talking to one of the other drivers in Franklin when we learned that those trucks were coming up for auction and hoping that M&B would buy them--They were in exellent shape very well looked after. However that still dont solve the puzzle Maybe somebody else knows something about her! Was definitly a rose among the thorns whereever she was.Maybe a serial # or something--somebody had to know about her
Ex. BCFP Pacific P16 truck - at present time parked at Sarita. Photo credit: HDX.
HDX-I was very interested to read about Brittan River. I used to live there in the early fifties, the we moved down to Vancouver Bay. Everytime we had to go to town it was on the Jervis Express. I remember Vic Ramsay, Arnie Bergland was super at Van Bay and John Sawatsky was driving log truck. Also made many trips to Pender with the boatman Don Fulton on the camp boat "Kukalani". Also remember the softball games between Van Bay and Brittan River.
M_T_Noggin Cant be that M_T_ for you to remember all that Edd Nelson was a hooker as was Charlie Roux Bert Toleman Do you remember old Bill Blank he use to run the boom boat had a wooden leg? I remember when Billy Woods fell off his bike while crossing the bridge by the shop and broke his leg. The ball field was a ways down the mainline from camp towards the river at B/R.
Bill Blank built a boat for my father, and I still have the nameboard. I stayed at Nelson's for a few days after we moved to Van Bay. Shoot me a e-mail and we can continue to reminisce.
Hi everyone My grandpa worked for BCFP most his loggin career ,my dad worked for them at one time also in Van bay , I worked for them starting around 83 in Narrows Inlet . i'll find some pictures my grandpa gave me .Here's one hanging in my kitchen of a carving made and given to him by BCFP when he retired
Howdy eveyone . My grandpa worked for BCPF for 31 years he started in 1949 in Harris Creek ( near Port Renfrew ) . My Dad worked for BCFP for a time in Port Renfrew and Van Bay where we lived , i was too young to remember tho . I worked for BCFP in the early 80's in Narrows Inlet . We did a few blocks in Van bay in the mid-late 90's for INTERFOR .
Here is a picture #1 i took from Treat Creek looking down on Jervis inlet . Around the point on the left is Brittain River , Vancouver Bay is just on other side of the ridge on the right you can see Mount Churchill on the right .. Height: 1996 m (6549 ft) - picture #2 close up of Mount Churchill - picture #3 is from Delta Rock gravel pit (Treat Creek) lookin at Mt Churchill - picture #4 is lookin the other way of pic#3 Captains Island and Nelson Island ..I also posted a picutre of BCFP's Camp 6 Caycuse in another thread , post #39 at HeavyEquipmentForums
Welcome Born2clearcut This is the best place to amble down memory mainline! What years were you at Van Bay?
Sry for the double post everyone . wonder if i can delete them somehow ?? Thanks HDX this is a cool place . i think we lived in van bay around the mid 60's but not really sure.
I removed the duplicate with the pictures. They're not your fault. This board has been a little buggy since it was upgraded, and some posts are finding their way into a list of posts "awaiting moderation", even though we haven't set anything to do that. I've been checking for those, and approving them all. Apparently, that's why yours got duplicated, since you had to go to the trouble of posting them twice. We apologize for the inconvenience. (I'm beginning to wish I had a nickle for every time I've had to post that...) :Banghead :bash
I was diggin in some of my stufff my grandfather gave me and found this pic tucked in a folder . I dout it was BCFP back then but it says Camp 6 1929 . sry the faces arn't clear, picture was too big for scanner..They are cystal clear in the picture.
Well here I am Born2clearcut Just waitin for the Don Yates pic
Hayesno1 Was up in Campbell River a couple weeks ago and came across the remains of BCFP unit 236 You posted a pic of her here, (post #15) She was a sandtruck with numbers 38-38 on the hood. This was 236 when new. Afraid she is all gone now cause what was left is scrapped. Too late again When Born2clearcut posts his next truck picture I will post the history of these trucks because it all ties in together Stay tuned
Heres the pic you are talking about HDX .I'm glad someone know some history on some of trucks . (i have more)
Welcome Born2clearcut to this great site. Very nice picture of #233. Looking forward to see more . HDX; Sad to hear about old #236 but we cant save them all. Here are a few pics of #236 as sandtruck i shot summer 2010, when she was parked at Mesachie Lake. So HDX let us know the history of those BCFP trucks
Thanks for the welcome Hayesno1 ,yes this a great site I'll let HDX tell alittle about those trucks. I would like to get more info on some of these pic's . My grandfather never got time to write down the story and dates of some of these pictures he has given me. I would like to write down some info of some of the pictures for the next generation (my son) . the history on some of these machines are goin to lost .
OK The driver is Don Yates. He got 233 s/n 0033081 new April 3 1970 She came with her sister truck 234 s/n 0033980 both trucks went to BCFPs Caycuse Division. They were part of a 6 truck order with Hayes. Unit 233--234 Caycuse unit 235 went to their Pitt lake operation in March and units 236--237-- 238 went to their Renfrew Division in April and May of 1970 All 6 of these trucks were PreLoad units with 12V71N engines and 1263 main trans with 9441 auxs These trucks were state of the art for the day real class- Don Yates is still around -Talked to him from time to time Really a Gentleman. When he got off 233 another really great guy got her name of Roy Shultz (Sarge)- BCFP was fortunate because some of the best Truck Drivers I ever met drove for them I lost track of 233 after the dissassembly of Caycuse. Hayes Forest Services got a number of these trucks and they were cut up for parts. I have what is left of 234 (the cab) although its all gutted it might be used on one of our Hayes restorations one day ! I will look down in Sarita at our Fire Tankers and see how many are of this order of 6 trucks
Born2clearcut Roy Shultz passed away some time back but he had a ton of pictures of 233 because he took lots of pictures Shoot me a PM and I will give you a name
WOW ! thats some great info HDX thanks alot . Here's a pic of BCFP's 229 with lowbed again i have no info on this truck
figured i post couple pics of this BCFP's 16 page magazine they put out at one time Pic # 1 is front cover .. pic#2 is a random page in middle of magazine .. pic#3 is back cover . Maybe some will remember these
couple more items i have pic#1is a little matchbox truck someone has put a BCFP sticker on it pic#2 #3 is a booklet of Caycuse operation it folds open like big road map i just scanned front and back of it didn't want to unfold it all because i can never get those kind of things folded back right again lol
Born2clearcut Another great one Unit 229 went to BCFPs Caycuse Division April 27 1966 s/n 6053091 and 53 Ton Preload trailer # 549 s/n 6053092 Truck came with a 12V71N and a 5-G-1520 Main and a 9341 aux trans BD90,000 rears top speed was 46 MPH and of coarse she was a Preload truck.
Jeez My clutch is slippin I guess Forgot to say that old 229 also came with a Thompson Driveline Retarder (long since removed) There is not a lot of these still around. I have only seen a couple but never had the pleasure of using them. Old 229 is down in Sarita with us I will try and get a pic of her to post this week.
This a picture of a picture was way too big to scan at home . BCFP Harris Creek 1961 the singleman is Bil Thatcher . Something alittle differant about the tower it is square . Wondering if anyone worked on this machine and how it made out .
Hayesno1 well it took some time but finally got a serial # of 40-109 It was sold to CrownZ new july 1974 went to their Kokish Division Her history is kind of clouded as to where she was working and how she was to get the BCFP paint job but we are working on it Maybe was sent to their Sandspit Operation in the QCIs. She is currently hooked up to a lowbed on north end of island. Funny though because Crown Z had mostly 71,000 rear diffs and this one had the narrow track 91,000 Clarks (90 inch track) so maybe because she was a preload she was spec'd out to pull the lowbed Will keep lookin
That was pic #5 post #33 for anybody that is keeping track--The other 4 pics on that posting (the Kenworths) were all ex Elk River Timber trucks and because they were taken over by BCFP before Crown Z and BCFP merged it would explain all their trucks being painted from yellow to orange/white /green There is pics around of ERTs # 26 with both companies numbers still visable and then still in her Apache Yellow with BCFP unit numbers 6-276 then changed to 40-114 after Crown Z merger
Here's #200 pulling out of side #1 its got pretty short stakes ,but still nice load .
HDX thanks for sharing info´re. 40-109. Here is another picture of her. Sadly it was raining heavily that day so I only took 2 shots of her. What is serial #? Great to hear she is still active. Pics of old Hayes HD truck a few days before sandbox was removed(summer 2007). Present status of truck is unknown.
Hayesno1 The sand truck you captured was the same one as on the first post of this thread unit 3-132 was EX- Elk River Timber dumptruck #132 After she had the sand box removed she was painted up and stuck out on the Highway up at Sayward as a display truck with a phony water tank and bunk/bolster I think there is pictures of her on this Forum (maybe in the Hayes Truck thread)
Hayesno1 The serial # is 6387
HDX, thanks for information. Somehow I knew it was the same truck I captured last summer. Here are a few pics of 1960 Hayes HD at display at Sayward Junction. Water tank looks pretty new.
Heres a picture of picture again too big to scan . nice shot of the landing and setting in the full size picture looks like they gettin ready to change roads there is a couple guys at the backend and one part way down in the fell and bucked . the tower is telescopic could be 110 foot skagit but not really sure
AH The dreaded SPARMATIC BCFP loved these things
AH here's another one on the move getting snubbed down a hill . Can see a old shack in the bottom of the draw on left
Thats a great collection of pics.that you and your Grandfather have thanks for sharing them with us.
Can't get enough of those Sparmatic pics. Keep adding them. I posted a bunch of shots on the M & B thread of two I used to work on back in the late '70s. Strange as it may seem bu they're still one of my favourite machines...
Does anybody know purpose of U-channel at top of headache rack and why they got that angle. I have only seen those on BCFP trucks - see posted pics ** sander(Summer 2005) and tanker(Summer 2010) truck. Look at born2clearcut pics as well
about channel if it's the 2 bigger piece's on the side of watertank, it's for the front bunk to sit on for the preload trailers, Spoart lake div. had 2 of these the reach's didn't slide so the bunk sat way high on top stop them from swaying from side to side H131 and H132 i think check out Jim Falconer's pic from Norm West on Hank's site these trailers needed to be lifted onto truck.
Thanks Hayeslogtruck, that makes sense
Could one of those have been sent to Sandspit, too?
Old fire truck.
That doesn't figure, the BCFP trucks had the folding reach trailers. The bunk didn't go up there, I was just looking at a picture of one. They seem to have come with the extra iron on top right from the factory.
In April 1980 BCFP started a log recovery program . In Ucluelet harbour the log losses through deadheads and sinkers were over 15 % of the volume produced At intervals attemps were made to recover the deadheads and sinkers and sell them at a distress prices to local mills . Attemps to pile them up and dry them out also failed . pic #1 Ucluelet harbour jin pole log dump with some of logs recovered that were riddled with teredoes and the logs were worthless within a few months . Pictures of the American on the barge is log recovery in Cowichan lake . Due to the shortage of log supply for its major sawmill and veneer plant complex in Youbou . BCFP experimented with recovering the sinkers in the lake ,some have been there for over 30 years . The salvage equipment consists of a American grapple mounted on a steel scow. There are 2 detachable scows on which the sunken logs are intially placed . The cost of this setup was $ 1,000,000 . It was estimated that production was about 15,000 cunits per year ( cunits were a log volume measurement at the time ) and there was more then 10 years of work for BCFP alone .
They used a regular preload trailer, The truck had a fifth wheel but it would only go up a couple of feet, so the trailer had a lifting strap on it and you unloaded it with the loader, And boy that rig was heavy the smaller loaders had a tougth time of it on hills. When I worked in Moses Inlet back in the 80"s for Benwest Logging there was a contract truck there with that set up , and in Zeballos they had two of them there in the 70's ,All of them were P16's.Gold River had several of them too.
This one has the extra iron on the water tank, yet it is clear that the bunk doesn't sit up there.
And here is a picture, which I had to steal, showing a BCFP HDX with the folding reach pre-load trailer. As you can see, the extra iron on the water tank couldn't be to stabilize the trailer, as the trailer doesn't go near it. The iron was obviously added at the factory, too, because this is from a Hayes brochure.
These were P16's I drove and loaded, the Hayes are differrent they must have used them for another reason' but they sure look like the ones used on the P16's. They could put a front bunk on and use a coventional trailer if they wished.The way some loader operators loaded the more you had over the cab the better off you were.
Trakloader top pic is H 57 from Copper Canyon V12 GM with sticks Was surplused and went through a few hands until finally Frank DeIaco bought it from Nanaimo (DeIaco Trailers) and painted it all yellow even inside cab and added a blue stripe to the outside and had it for sale - dont know where she ended up The beautiful BCFP Preload underneath was 6-234 from Caycuse She was sold to Hayes Forest after the big Timber-Waste garage sale and they cut her up at Mesachie Lake (I saved the cab what was left of it)
The BCFP Preload story was you were all right in a way In 1956 BCFP started to fool around with Pre-loads unit 211-212 came as conventionals but were converted to Preloads and they used the early system where in fact the front bunk DID sit above the top of the water tank Units 213 and 214 were originally destined for their Harris Creek Camp when new in 1956 but were both eventually converted and sent to Caycuse? It was August of 1960 that units 213 and #214 was converted over to a preloads As was 215 and 216 Unit 217 went to Pitt Lake along with 218 and they had 4 preload trailers delivered with them Unit 219 220 221 went to Caycuse with the new big power Cummins V8s unit 222 and 223 went to Harris Creek Camp Unit 224 went to Renfrew Division as a preload I know this is overpowering all this info at once I will try and send you a pic of what these early preloads looked like Trakloader OK Then you can post it
HDX. you are THE MAN! Thanks for clearing that up, I was hoping you'd get in on this discussion. When did the hydraulic 5th. wheel as we know it today come out?
Thanks HDX, for sure you are Mr. Hayes. Now it all makes sense.
Pics of ex BCFP #40-130 when she still was in operational for ABL. I think she has been scrapped. I did not see her in 2010. She had conventional configuration - not a preloader
Wow, poor old girl looked pretty sad even then. Just pounded to death, by the looks of it. I'll bet she didn't look like that when BCFP ran her. I hate that retarded way they haul the empty trailers now, too. E&A hauls them that way, and half the time the reach is pointing skyward. Quite a few have fallen off on hills. It doesn't feel good following a truck with the trailer bouncing up and down.
This P16 was originally unit # 6-258 from BCFPs Caycuse Division This truck was featured on one of the Pacific truck and Trailer brochures front cover if memory serves me right. Was renumbered 40-130 when Fletcher Challange came on the scene--When they left They left a satellite company called TimberWest behind to do all their creaming of the second growth. With swinging over to small logs the day of the big trucks ended She was bought from TimberWaste at the big Garage sale by Alliford Bay Logging. Went to Sarita Division hauling at a timber sale and had a runaway on Flora Lake line 1300. Was taken back to Messachie Lake and started to be parted out. Her remains are now down in the Sarita boneyard. I will try and get a pic for Hayesno1. Before the sharp eyes clue into the fact that the truck on the brochure has a different front bumper --Well the original bumper is still underneath the upgraded bumper on her. This must have been done at the Caycuse Shop But rest assured that IS 6-258 So there is another piece of Pacific history gone. This truck also had a really wierd suspension under her Walking beam and spring Would ride on the springs when empty and would sit down on the walking beams when loaded.
Just a quick question: why does the engine hood tilt back down toasted the cab on such an angle, it is intentional? Fir what reason? Or is the frame changed/bent. I don't know, I've seen it on a few trucks, is there a reason?
Hood is just sitting on top of the rad Not sitting down where it would be normally also the front cab mounts are NFG and yes the frame was a little altered when truck bumped into rock bluff going downhill with a load of logs at a great rate of speed
Ah thanks for the answer, very interesting. Sothats a larger rad than the original?
Ouch! Poor old P-16.... Like E&A # TL-6, the cab sits crooked, it tipped over many years ago and was never straightened. The drivers say it feels strange, because the mirrors, stakes, etc. all look crooked from the driver's seat.
How is the trailer usually mounted, looks normal to me
The bunk is usually turned, with the stake tripped. Carried that way, the bogie on the trailer is compressed at the back, which keeps the reach in the saddle. The new way, the front trailer wheels rest on the bunk, so the reach can flip up.
Old BCFP truck with folding reach - now IPL truck unit #H136. I wonder if cable is fixed between frame so winch at top of watertank is doing loading and unloading of trailer? Or is there a 2nd winch between truck frame?
Cool truck!
No Just a single winch but when the driver winches the trailer up it will actually go over center then he will tag the choker knob into a bell on the gooseneck and let the winch line out a little so the strap is holding the trailer up not the winch line. The driver pictured here is Butch Wright from Cowichan
That's a pretty neat system. What was the winch, some sort of Gearmatic?
It was the Gearmatic side of PacCar ( Kenworth Peterbilt) that shut Hayes down in Sept 1975
couple random pictures . first one is of BCFP's log barge starting its first load . pic#2 is of Pitt Lake dump . pic# 3 Narrows Inlet
couple black& white pics
Swiftsure Prince I found this on Flickr, the old BCFP log barge "Swiftsure Prince" tied up on the Fraser River in 2009. It was taken out of service after an incident in Hecate Straits, it heeled over and almost dumped. Also spilled a bunch of fuel. I couldn't find anything at all on the old "Forest Prince", anyone have any info?
Heres what CBC News had reported about incident http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/06/bc-prince-rupert-diesel-spill.html
It's still there
Once again I'm blown away by all the info and pics some of you guys have posted. I've mentioned elsewhere that I worked for BCFP at Renfrew for eight years, starting in 1976 on their Forestry Crew. During Christmas shutdown old Joe Weekes, the Warehouseman there, had a heart attack so when we re-opened in '77 they needed one. I saw the notice posted first day back so talked to them and explained my background and was soon running the warehouse and doing the buying. Joe came back to work in June so I went afternoon shift, which was great for a surfer like I was at the time. I'd go home to Jordan River if there was a good swell running, surf all morning then head back in to Renfrew to work. Joe retired not long after and I took over day shift then. So long ago I can barely remember half the names of guys I worked with for eight years. Can't recall the numbers of the trucks there either, as I've encountered many of them over the years so they all blur together for me. Thanks again for sharing all your pics and knowledge with us. I really appreciate it as it does bring back some fond memories. Take care.
not the biggest truck on the coast,but the colors have history.Took this this morning
Trakloader will know about the above GM for sure!
Bcfp Found these among the several thousand slides I'm sorting through. I'd guess 1977 or so? I'm hoping some of the old snags on here will know where these pics were taken.
More BCFP More.... Sorry for the distortion, my slide projector seems to have a warped lens.... Not really sure what the problem is, the pics all come out twisted. I tried hitting the projector with a hammer, but it didn't help.
BIGGER HAMMER??? looks like Lake Cowichan area
Heres a couple of Cowichan Lake sort hard to tell if it the same machines as above
The ones in my pics are 14-4 and 14-5, looks like you guys are right.
born2cealcut did you fine the info you where looking for on camp 6
Yes i did thanks for asking
Units 6-233 and 6-234 at Caycuse Dryland Sort Unit 6-243 wqas at Renfrew Dryland Sort There is a picture of one of the trucks showing just the trailer with the load suspended above it Look at the trailer hubs That is one of the old trailers with Budd Wheels that had the Dayton wheel conversions ! Rather than change over the entire hub you would install this at the tire shop Just bolted onto the Budd wheel studs and it had the Dayton wheel stud pattern so now you used the same wheels on the trailer as the truck. Another problem was a lot of these trucks came with Schuler front Axles with Budd wheels so this drove the tireman nuts cause every time he had to go out on the mainline somewhere to fix a flat he always had to take two tires one with a Budd rim and one with a Dayton rim just in case Usually somewhere between the Dispatchers message and the tire shop it got lost in translation Was an interesting time
Here's a couple of BCFP's KW's and a cat towing some kind of donkey up a hill . I think HDX may have some info on these trucks
WOW Still pretty new These were the first of a 5 truck order through Ferguson Truck Distributers in downtown Nanaimo (under the Bastion Street Bridge) This would later become The Kenworth Dealership. BCFP ordered 5 trucks in 1950 for their operations in the Cowichan area all 5 were model CD548s The first truck came with HB Cummins Engine and Rockwell SD462 rear diffs The next 4 came with NHRBS Supercharged Cummins engines and Rockwell 460 rear ends. These were the rear ends used just before the 4600s and just after the old worm drive diffs. All these trucks were Canary Yellow They they ordered 6 more in 1951 and they all were model CD849s with Rockwell 4600 rear diffs and NHRBS supercharged engines Will dig up serial numbers when time permits There was a picture years ago on the cover of Lumberman Magazine I think with two of these old girls brand new just prior to delivery Everybody go check your old magazines cause that photo is out there somewhere Couple guys standing there with the trucks in trench coats and hats
Wow, HDX, you are truly a walking encyclopedia! Is that one of them yarders with the big, heavy steel wheels that they are pulling?
Yes as a matter of fact it is We had one but it was towed over to Copper Canyon with a couple cats I think her remains still grace the jungle over there
About 6 years ago we lowbeded our grapple yarder from Chemainus to Nitnat . We came across a restored donkey in the middle of nowhere it had some kind of a history plaque on it ,I think it was just before we got to Copper Canyon , pretty kool unit. My buddy got some pictures . I'll have to check to see what ever happen to the pic's .,but he is about as organized as a chokerman on his first day
The drag line pictures are in Port Renfrew 1941 not sure about the rest of the pictures pretty sure they taken in the same area . i'll have too start scanning more pics to post .
Heres one for HDX he might have some info on this ole girl
Born2clearcut This is really something to see #210 was the SECOND HDX BUILT As you know the first HDX went to Butler Bros and was later sold to Bill Neil from Victoria. Unit #210 s/n 4081540 went to Caycuse new. She was the first of a 8 truck order by BCFP in mid 1954 This is how they were built 210 was the first then 209 then 208 ,207,206,205,204,and 203 serial #s were issued in that order. In this picture taken some years later she still looks good but the original "Seattle" stakes have been replaced with the "Idaho" higher stakes In this picture you can see damage to the right front torque arm bracket under the bumper where some kind of a step is added Still has the exhaust stack up the right hand side by the mirror bracket c/w spark arrester I gotta look but you just might have solved the case of the unknown HDX in Sarita. Will get right back to you OK
OK All you guys with too much time on your hands --compare this truck to the truck Hayesno1 posted on the Hayes Truck thread (posting 586) only difference is the power steering tank has been moved from the left front side of the rad. Tomorrow I will scope out the unknown truck in Sarita and get back to you
I knew you would know the history of this ole girl . The picture is 12"x16" alittle too big for scanner thats why not that clear . I'm going to build a nice frame for it and put up in my shop so it can shine for many years to come . I had a look at Hayes Truck thread (posting 586) and if it the same truck it looks a hell of alot better with a load of logs then it does with a water tank. Thanks for all your info on all these trucks i posted . I'll dig up some more when i have the time
Born2Clearcut; great picture of #210 and thanks for great info HDX. Here a few pics of #209. Truck belongs to Jim Falconer
Another old HDX that has been saved - it is old #207. This truck belongs to Jim Falconer as well. I took pictures back in 2005. Jim has since done a great restoration job and truck looks great at present time. A real show truck
Hayesno1 Unit #36-70 is actually old 207 when new Jim and the Hayes Truck Club Crew did some work on her to get her up to Unrestored Show Status. Jim takes her out every chance he gets The old girl has a set of 12 foot bunks with "Seattle" stakes again and a 36 ton trailer just as when new She also still has the numbers matching NHRBS 300 HP Supercharged engine in her Jim keeps doing stuff to her and flash's her up all the time The exhaust stack also went back through the hood like it was when they were delivered in 1954 (Although its CHROME now)
HDX: Well I wrote she was old #207. .. LOL Here some pics(credit Re-Pete) of #207 with stack through hood and smoke
Beside my pics of #207, #209 and post #586 at Hayes thread this pic is showing the last of known excisting old HDX model from 1954 with Clipper doors. This is unit #208. Jim Falconer(on fender) and Peter(from the Danish invasion group) at truck.
Hayesno1 Yes you are right You did and I didnt look at your posting close. I dont think that the HDX in Sarita is 210 after looking at pictues all weekend We have been going by what we were able to find on the doors under all the paint . This is not always the best idea because these trucks in their later years were moved around and some were sold off so when one was being sold of coarse things were taken off to keep the remaining trucks up to snuff and it would be only natural if one you were keeping had a door that was in poor shape well just trade with the one being sold off so this is where a wrong door on a truck can be miss leading The only real way to solve the mystery is to find the serial numbers and go from there. We have spent hours going over these trucks to find where they were stamped with no luck Sometimes they were stamped behind a bracket and then something was bolted over them Eventually we will locate them. Maybe when we sandblast one of them it will show up. I had the same problem with the LM Mack I bought It was an ex-Elk River Timber Truck and under the paint on the door it had number 9 But after talking with Ralph Cox the Master Mechanic from there we compared serial numbers and he said NO its number 7 and that was what happened there --the door from no9 ended up on no7 just the drivers door and sure enough when the pass door was sanded down there was no7 So the plot thickens here. We are sure of no 207 because the engine serial number matches.
HDX; For sure you rigth - many if not all of them have been rebuilt several times using spare parts from other trucks. You are the Hayes Master and for sure I have learned a lot to find serial numbers; identify models etc. Thanks. Sorry to say but I have been scratching a few frames - but only trucks that I knew that were parked to be scrapped - looking at doors and dashboard etc. Sometimes I saw a truck ending up with 2 different sn# - one at the frame and a different at door or dashboard, so I got a bit confused. I still remember those 2 WHD coal trucks up in Northern BC. I measured the frame - 40" wide. I spent hours up there but no numbers or whatever that could identify those 2 pretty neat trucks. They should be restored. Some pics of #207. Is tank (water and fuel) original? Is fuel tank a 300 gal? It looks pretty small compare to "normal" HDX fuel tank. How about the turntable platform - is that the original? It is all most like a deck!
Pics from RB when 1960 HDX was on auction in 2005. Tank is a 3000 gal.
Hayesno1 Yes the water tank/fuel tank are original This was the first attempt combining the fuel/water tank together You are right about them being smaller Fuel tank is a 70 gal and water is 300 gal as opposed to the later 120 gal fuel and 400gal water tanks The turntable was original with some extra plates welded in to make a deck for the fire tank-- missing is the bunk pin that the truck bunk sat on with the horseshoe clamp to hold the bunk on If you look you can see the two halfs of the turntable This was the first truck to have a turntable installed like this. All the trucks before this had what was called "Rub Irons" whereas the bunk had a wear plate welded on each side that would wear with use The same style is still used on highway trucks today called the bolster The turn table eliminated being Bunk Bound on sharp corners when the truck would lean one way and the trailer the other or if you had a side heavy load they were prone to bind up on corners. The bunks then had rollers added to them and they would help the bunk turn because they actually rolled around on the turn table NO MORE BINDING UP ON CORNERS The next turn tables built were made in a full circle and had a notch at the front behind the water tank and this was built into the turntable so a mechanic could change the rollers without taking the bunk right off--You would swing the bunk around fore and aft and take out the retaining bolt and drop the roller out the bottom Worked very well. Next was the top rad tank. These had another tank welded on top of the original tank to hold more coolant Most of the trucks being built that had the Cummins supercharged engines in them had a real bad cooling problem so most companies made the top tanks bigger to hold more coolant.A lot of company shops would just cut a hole in the top of the hood and change the manifold configuration so the exhaust pipe came right off the manifold and straight up with a 4 inch pipe. With the side exhaust and muffler there was too much back pressure and this just added to the heating problem. In this picture you took you can see the 7lb pressure relief valve mounted on top instead of behind the top tank on the right hand side This was on there to prevent too much pressure being built when the water in the rad got hot and expanded.Also note that the rad cap is the same as the fuel cap Both used the same one The third picture shows the newer style Luberfiner filter --The original one was the style with the bolts around the top. These were a pain in the rear because of the gasket you had to change every time you changed oil-- mirror bracket is original only bent a little. The last picture shows the power steering tank also original Hope this does not confuse anybody
HDX; Wow you did it again, again. Thanks very much. Ups! I did mixed up with fuel/water tank size! Here some pics of a 1963 sn#3052466 BCFP sander truck when auctioned way back in 2005/2006. I think she went to LLL. Sorry to tell; I think I found her remains in 2007 at LLL shop close to Port McNeill
BCFP Hayes HDX sander truck when auction in 2005. Truck is from 1964 #sn 4032549
Hayesno1 Another great one from the past WOW old 225 from BCFPs Renfrew Division Was delivered Feb 7 1964 Came with a 903 V8 Cummins (350 HP ) and Spicer 8241C main with 8341C Aux also used the Thompson Retarder and 70,000 rear ends Top speed was about 34 1/2 MPH Came as a preload with two trailers #s 529 and 530. As for the linehose beside her well that was old BCFP unit # 224 also from Renfrew Division She came April 8 1963 and came with the same spec's as unit #225 It makes me sad to see all these trucks that were so well looked after by the people at BCFP now scattered all over at country-- so many were just cut up and yet others were doomed to sit out their remaining years as Fire Tankers and to slowly be neglected till their time comes to be cut up. When they still had BCFP on the registration papers these trucks were kept in tip top condition all year round. Even as tankers or sand trucks But as fate would have it opportunists couldnt wait to get their mitts on them as you can see in the pictures above. I see the paint sprayed all over them and wonder what kind of employee would even THINK of defacing equipment like this. Wonder what would happen if you walked over and sparyed the same thing on HIS CAR or Pick-up OH WELL at least they live on if only on this site Thanks for posting these pics Kim
OH Yes no 224 also came with two trailers 528 and 527
Old Veteran Saw this old girl this weekend at Mesachie Lake. I did a back country trip up from Port Renfrew and stumbled upon this yard enroute. Many more shots to follow.
Jackd; Nice pic of an old lady still going strong, thanks for sharing. At first I thought it was the same truck as I saw at the Cameron Div. last year but it was unit #36-85. Way back I have posted a few pics of her on this thread. Looking forward to see more pics from your trip.
I've got more shots coming and if they are repeats of things posted previously, I do apoligize. But what the hell, if I took shots of them this week, then at least we know that they are still around.
No no - sorry you misunderstood me - my English is not that good - I have posted pics of #36-85 - not #36-84. She is "new" to me. Great to see she is around. Please post more pics of her and other trucks/stuff.
Your English is very good - better than my Danish! I didn't mis-understand you and I am going to post all my shots be they repeats or not. No worries here.
Did you take the trip down to Sarita, jackd?
Believe it or not, this was new territory for me to cover and I wasn't sure about my gas situation. I was hoping to stop at Franklin River shop and drove past this huge gravel pit, which I was told by a contractor, was the former camp/shop. What year did they rip it all down? And being that I was there on the weekend, I assumed that the yards would be locked and I would be looking through the outside wire inwards. As it was I got into Mesachie, Cameron and Sproat. Sarita will have to wait for another day - and I assume this is where much of the big iron is right now.
pickups and logging trucks, etc just thought i would comment on this site, i'm very surprised to see so many bcfp pieces out there, that haven't been repainted, i'm with out word's, but i suppose it's cheaper to paste a vinyl decal over rather than repaint, not the case every where else, but nice to see, i saw the other day in cowichan, a hurd of old bcfp logging truck's with the logo and bcfp slogan on the bottom,on the door's, with guy's driving them, they the guy's looked like something outa the 70's red chequerd doe skin jackets, and white and green bcfp caps, not sure what's going on, is someone trying to recreate the old bcfp, it seem's timberwest is ok with it, and western, anyone else with a problem, not me, most of the trucks were re painted with exact same color's, can anyone tell me whats going on, gordon river timberwest, out
water tanker it appears this was at franklin camp,before camp was razed, and re-planted, ??
BCFP VET Welcome to the best site on the web No that old 36-71 is down in the Sarita Yard Funny that she should end up there after leaving Gordon River. Some years ago you BCFP crews had TShirts made with an HDX with a load of logs and the BCFP Logo Have you guys thought about redoing those??? OH by the way I seem to recall that the truck was printed backwards!!!!! LOL
Regarding Post #150, i was working in the shop at Renfrew when #224 came brand new. It had been on display at the Truck Loggers. Had chrome pieces on the "VT-350" Cummins, chrome caps on the front hubs, and a chrome exhaust on the fender (probably more that I don't remember), a great looking truck , sad to see it in that picture.
I've still got one of those t-shirts somewhere and yes, the truck came out backwards when they printed them, which we all found funny as heck. Take care.
Dave Thats great I know the guy that did the truck drawing used there Does anybody know where those T Shirts originated
was a chokerman in camp3,early shift,brathwaits cummins had flames 4ft out of the stack cuming up for a load.will search some old pictures and send(not alowed yet still a aprentic,but love the site(grew up in camp 3 worked in the cat shop camp6 for 3 years
Welcome aboard yblock This is THE PLACE FOR PICTURES You are right about wait times but sure worth the wait when you see the history being recorded here!!! Everybody contributes what ever they can be it info or pics or both HDX
Looks like a busy time at the dump (anyone know what dump this may be ? ). I have added alittle bit of color in this pic ( bored lol ) maybe our truckopedia HDX has some info on truck 202 or any other info on this pic . I make up little cards with info on them and put on back of picture frame.
It sure looks like Port Renfrew before the Dry Sort was built.
I never saw Renfrew before they had a dryland sort and never thought to ask anyone how and where they boomed before having one so can't help much. I must comment though that with the benefit of hindsight and history it isn't hard to see how we had such an adverse effect on fisheries wherever we logged. That would be either the Gordon or the San Juan river I'd imagine. Neat peek at some history of logging for sure though. Thanks. Take care.
Thanks guys . I was thinking it is Port Renfrew just by the stories my grandfather had told me about his life in the woods . My mom also grew up in Harris Creek same basic area . These 2 pictures are of the Port Renfrew Hotel . I bet this building has a few million stories to tell .I havn't been there in 25 or 30 years . Is it still standing today ?
Still there as at a couple years ago. I'll be down that way next month when the surf gets good again to watch the surfers and talk story with old friends. I'll check it out. Take care.
Sorry to the old "Palace" is gone, and a new pub built in it's location.
As She Is Today. I had breakfast at the new pub in late July - building is similar but hasn't got the same feel as the old one which burnt down several years ago. Looks the same from the outside but all modern on the inside. Beautiful view of the water though.
Thats kool they built it with the same kinda shape and style as the old hotel , glad to see they have fixed the wharf lol
Here is truck 205 just finishing up loading the chaser is taking the tongs off of the peaker log
I was kid back at this (1961) time in Renfrew but I reconize the Renfrew dump before the sort. My dad drove 190 back in those days and 202 in the picture was Tony Webber. I later went to work for B.C.F.P in the woods and on the sort. I started contracting for them shortly after where I spent 30 years, finishing with Timber West.
actually, there are hayes bcfp logging trucks being parked at gordon river camp area, with a office and some other dwellings, plus who ever is stillrunning these older trucks have some that are being parked at the old port renfrew dryland sort area, with some old bcfp crummy trucks, iv'e seen loggers driving them and going back and forth, I wonder if anyone would have a pics of the old carley logging outfit that was just past sooke, i remember wesley carley owned it from the 50's to 80's when his helicopter crashed in thetis lake killing his son and him, his shops are where home depot is in langford, carley logging was a huge logging contractor for bcfp and mb, and cip logging in sooke, wouldanyone have any pics of carley logging or merill ring logging in sooke maybe pat carson as well, thank you
we never had bcfp shirts ever, bcfp was cheap, the only thing we ever received was a cheap aluminum hard hat with a sticker of bcfp and a bcfp green jacket with the logo on the back and front and our name on the arms, oh we also received a xmas turkey every year , other than that i sold my shares out in 1989 to fcc, because bcfp predicted the future for logging would be nasty, thus they sold out, butb bcfp sold for 3 times what they were worth, i made half a million in my shares, thanks i have lots of bcfp gear for saleon ebay,
timberwaste, there gone now they soldout, there changing there name now
it was gordon river camp that they were parked, with a office and dwellings, plus theres bcfp and cz logging trucks parked at renfrew dryland sort area, plus bcfp and cz crummy trucks, nice sight, ive seen the crews working, i thought i wasseeing things but wasn't, in sooke ive also seen cip logging trucks and malloch mosley logging trucks with logs loaded driving into victoria,would anyone have any pics of carley loggingsopertaions, it was owned by wesley and his son who died in there private helicopter in the early 90's in thetis lake, that was a mess, there shops were located where the home depot today, any pics anyone maybe merill ring logging in sooke??
I disagree that bcfp was cheap,i lived in camp3 with my parents till i was 17 then worked in the shop,and onto the cat shop in 6 with doug taylor,found them a well run co and was paid well for every hr i worked.doug was a great guy to work with and fred denman was supper as well
bcfp was a cheap outfit, we were payed by the truckload neverby thehour, our trucks were challengers and 2 yuks, we used mcullochs and canadians for power saws, i worledwith david walmsley, bobby mcallum, john elder, jim ash, it may have been good foryou,but as a share holder of bcfp we felt it was time to do the right thing, the pay was ok but crown zellerbach payed afewbucks more and so did mb bcfp was a ok outfit,but none the less cheap, when i drove truck for crazy bill malloch and des mosley logging, they were the best with nice company jackets caps and yes turkeys every xmas and company picnic's, i also worked for cip in sooke and carley logging, thankyou
My eight years with BCFP didn't ever find them "cheap" either, although I was on staff most of that time and may have received things most of the crew didn't. I got the T-shirt with the drivers position reversed, I've got a green BCFP vest also kicking around here somewhere. One of my favorite perks was flying on the company chopper from Renfrew over to the foot of Howe St. in Vancouver whereupon I'd walk up to head office on W. Pender and spend the rest of the day with my Buyer in the Purchasing Dept. Went to lunch at the Terminal City Club one day too, which was hilarious for a small down boy like me. I'd stay the night in a good hotel, tour a couple of suppliers the next day, like Finning or Acklands or whomever then fly home in the afternoon in time for supper in the cookhouse at Renfrew. The '70's were good times in the forest industry and in fact, BCFP made 98 million dollars net profit in 1979, the best year in company history. Carter was President in the US. In 1980 we made a good but lesser profit, can't recall what it was. Carter was still President in the US. In January of 1981 Reagan started his first term and by Fall of 1982 the company was shut down and everyone except the Divisional Manager and two or three others was sent home. High interest rates designed to kill inflation crippled the housing industry in the US and much of our market was geared that way. The industry hasn't ever been the same since. Incidentally, that shutdown in 1982 was simply awesome for me personally as I had a small but cool cabin at Jordan River that cost me $55.00 a month to rent and the company had arranged it so that while I was off I received about 70% of my regular salary. Given I was a hardcore surfer and that 1982 was a huge El Nino year my circumstances were such that I was forced into spending the whole surf season riding tons of good, big and consistent surf while receiving enough money that when a great house in Renfrew came available I was able to buy it in the Fall of 1982 with confidence that I'd be going back to work soon. That house was a godsend in that it had a nice sauna in the basement so whenever the surf got good in Renfrew I'd turn on the sauna, go surfing then come home and get out of my wetsuit, have a quick shower then take a sauna. Best times of my life back then. Came to an end when I got married the next year and then the industry collapsed enough that I eventually lost my job in 1984 and finally sold that house in 1989 as part of a divorce settlement. (sigh) I worked for Fred Denman back then at Renfrew and really enjoyed knowing him. Funny guy and we got along pretty good. Lots of good memories from those days for sure. Take care.
I remember Chum Carley well as I rustled up some parts for his grapple yarder for him one time and he was very gracious and grateful for that. Met him a couple of times at Shakies in Jordan River and he always bought lunch for me. I recall he had a Skagit SST grapple yarder serial #1002. Tahsis Company at Gold River had serial #1001 and BCFP at Renfrew had serial #1003. They mostly ended their days with Lemare Lake in McNeill I suspect. Sorry I don't have any pics from those days, only memories. Take care.
dave did you ever work with the smiths in port renfrew? great people also my dad blasted for chum carly also for pat carson and he taught blasting for m and b employees hope to hear more stories ... thanks rick hogg .....
Great stories from the '70s - thanks to both of you. There was still a sense of optimism in those years and it sure did change when the early '80s came along. Though I was Mac & Blo, the story was very similar.
bcfp sold out because the price was right, we all sold out our shares some of us walking away with half a mill some with a quarter of a mill, sad to see bcfp disapear, it seems no one owns the rights to the logo or name anymore, someone could do a bcfp spin off company, same colors and yeah anyone have any pics of wesley carleys logging outfit in sooke?????
Saw Norm and son Monty all the time and did business on behalf of BCFP with both. As you noted, good people and a pleasure to know. Take care.
BCFP Clark Skidder Shared photo.Appears to be a 668
left camp6 in1969 went to finning as apprentic wound up service maniger in victoria wher i met and did buisness with chum carly, we became good frends,did lots with fred who was in renfrew.we also did lots of work for pat carson.rather neat to grow up in camp6 bcfp years and come back,haveing doug and fred as customers,also ed chew. cliff tate
BCFP KW Truck # 157
His name was wesley carley owner of carley logging limited ofvictoria bc, he had a huge shop of millstream road in langford, right where the home depot is today, wesley did contract logging for bcfp for 50 years along side of billy malloch and des mosley logging limited of langford, sadly wesley carley died with his son in the early nineties in his personal helicopter in thetis lake, there never did find his son, in the lake, after the crash,wesleys wife sold the shop and house being in victoria andmoved, i wouldlove to find some pics of wesleys logging equipment, its been solong,
3 pics of a BCFP boom boat for sale in North Van in the early 80's
nice pics there,now does anyone have any pics of carley logging of victoria bc?????
Here is a BCFP Hayes logging truck being loaded with a line loader, I think this was for the Caycuse division. I have some more pictures of old BCFP equipment from Gordon River when Timber West was running the show, I will scan and post. I was at the old Gordon River shop this past summer and there is nothing left, they even went as far as removing the old A-frame cabin from across the creek behind the offices by the old boneyard.
please keep posting this is great history nd i have to thank all the people that take the time to share
It.s sad that timberwaste isn't around anymore,as they have been sold, lol bcfp was goodtimes, but as many have mentioned, the housing market fell threw and alot of outfits sold out, as quick as they could change they under pants,lol im still wondering what ever happened to nitnat logging camp, it was moore-whitting i think thats there name, anyone have any pictures of nitnat camp,
Hoglogg, did you work for the world famous bc forest products on van island and any of there contractor's, i think we need to start a carley and maloch and mosley page, they were equaly as famous, as they they did alot of sub work for bcfp and macmillan blodel, and the same goes for sooke logging, aka butler bros, happy new years,
BCFP VET did you work at Gordon River for BCFP? My dad worked at the Renfrew division and Gordon river division for quite a few years, I have alot of fond memories going to work with him when I was younger at Gordon river. Later on I got the opportunity to work in the shop for holiday releif, it was an excellant shop to work in and they had alot of good mechanics there. I wish I had of taken more pictures of the good ol days.
I worked for western forest industries aka,, Rayonier canada, (BC) Limited, at gordon river camp, then in 83 or around there it was sold to bcfp, from what i know being a share holder of bcfp, every employeee, i knew owned a piece of bcfp, I had shares in western as well, and made a handsome profit, I can't remember what the wfi equipment looked like up there, there are however a few buildings left at gordon river, along the old railway as you drive into the razed camp, in the back, my dad worked in victoria and at hillcrest then on to renfrew logging div as a faller butcher, my dad loved his machine bcfp bought, it eliminated the need for fallers, plus you stayed warm inside your cab, with a good stereo system, my dad finally packed er in 95 at cowichan sawmilling division of fcc,/timberwaste, lol glad there gone now, sold out, i wonder what ever happend to dale malloch and his sisters outfit munns lumber, for a while they were doing contract work for tw, then they disappeared, dales brother in metchosin is still running his own outfit, i loved working for wfi and bcfp, just that bcfp was a cheap outfit always trying to save a buck or two, i was up in cowichan last year and noticed a offulllot of old bcfp equipment left in the bushes, and railway stuff, near gordon we were out hiking and found a few old steam engines with bcfp logo's on them, and other stuff,
Here some more pics of old #211 from 1955 re. HDX post #3. HDX; Is this the original cab? If so it must be one of the first HDX without the clipper doors. What is the little round cylinder for in front of right door?
Hayes HDX & TL6,Gold River area 10 or so years old.Shared pic. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
My mistake,this was a Hayes post above not a BCFP
Hayesno1 There was only 9 HDXs built with the Clipper Door cab Do not know why Hayes went to this style cab for these trucks when they already had a cab that was offset since 1952 and it was a tried and tested good cab HOWEVER I have a picture with Hayes building the First HDX (Butler Bros-later Bill Neil bought it from them) and it was a totally different cab again-one piece windshield etc from the other two and yet the picture clearly shows all three cabs sitting on the factory. floor Jim and I have been talking about cloning the first HDX only because we can. We figure we have everything we would need to do it OK im drifting here anyway unit 211 and 212 were the first two HDXs with the newer style cab that would become the one we know today The round tank in front of the R/H door is the power steering tank You probably noticed that this truck also sports the butterfly windows in the doors. We wont go there right now but I will ask around and see if she was in an accident at one time or how she came to have those doors
Skadill Really good post This HDX has popped up a few times around the site Last time we saw her she has the Friel Lake sign on the R/H door out at the Sproat Lake Shop Her S/N is 4016 was bought new by Roy Saunders as unit #K44 for the Eurocan Haul she was then sold a time or two and then she showed up here in the Alberni Valley I think she is going back to work yet again around here somewhere Just hearsay right now Scope out the Hayes thread around page 43-44 somewhere around there
i worked for a contractor called wj green at widow and cottonwood creeks past youbo in the 70s . my older brother worked for m. and b . and millstream at kennedy lake, dad was a blaster for m. and b. also for chum carley and pat carson .... my other brother owns a small logging (gypo) company that i was once in . i still go out and run machines and haul logs when i have time .i am presently wrenching at my shop on the malahat , ( warm and dry he he ) ... take care (bcfp vet ) .....
bcfp hats a friend that grew up in port renfrew gave me his late fathers hats from bcfp. his dad train logged there and also ran the booming grounds , later in his life he worked at the bcfp boom at victoria .
HDX; Thank you for great information. I remember you have showed me a picture of the first HDX with one piece windshield - very different cab compare to the other cabs. Very interesting project Jim and you are having in your thoughts! Here are a few shared pics of a HDX that went to RB auction a few years ago. I don't know what happened to her after she was auctioned - maybe someone knows?
That truck was cut up in Campbell River because the rear ends were being installed in a gravel truck Dennis Dystant got the rad and some other parts and I have the cab and some misc parts
What did those HDX truck run for engines? Detroit GM??? What was the HP on them?
Harry Most of them came with 12V71N GM engines 431HP with 65C injectors Most of the logging companies such as BCFP M&B Crown Z eventually went to the twin turbo vresion and that brought them up to the 500 HP range depending on what else was done
HDX; Re post 201 and 204 here a pic of door. It says unit #36-65 so this must be another cab or at least the doors(vent). It says #CSP 26 as well but that is a newer number. It's amazing that this truck from 1955 got BCFP new colour configuration. I think Al S. told me BCFP changed to new colour configuration back in the early 70's, when getting new trucks. This truck must have been painted afterwards just like 207-208 and 209.
His name wasn't chum carley hoglogg,and yes i know you at your shop on the hat, his name was wesley carley, of carley logging limited of victoria bc,wes, worked along side cragg creek logging limited up there, staverman logging and timber were also good friends with wes and his son, i knew them all very well, as i use to hang out from time too time at there shops on millstream right where millstream art knapps plant land use to be,
here some old school, caps from my years,
I've noted you always use the name Wesley when referring to the late Mr. Carley. Do you have some personal reason for doing that? I, and I'm sure numerous others, always knew him as Chum. Did he secretly not like that name or something? Curious in Campbell River. Take care
Here a few pics of a BCFP Hayes truck. I think it is a WHD - 40" wide frame.
Shared pics of an old Hayes HDX model with Smith sander box. Unit #38-36. RB auction 2008. Truck has most likely been scraped. HDX will know for sure.
Hayesno1 Yes a classy old girl Was Elk River Timber unit #14 powered by GM 6-110 @300HP Old girl was saved by IPL loggong and will be restored However she has been kicked out of nice dry shop because a bunch of "****-Pot" trucks need the room now to fix daily repairs at the Cameron end Not a biggee though When the pic was taken she was under engine repair with 4 siezed injectors All fixed now and runs like a top She will be at the 90th Anniversary for Hayes Trucks here in Alberni in July As usual GOOD POST
Mr,Wesley carley his birth name Mr. Wesley Carley was his name, everyone knew him by this name, why would he go by any other name, with over a 100 employee's no one of them called him chum, so I'm thinking you have the wrong guy period, same with les longland of cragg creek logging and timber, of sooke, some of you call him lee, not his actually name , thank you and good day all,
I wonder if dale malloch will be there with his 72 kenworth logging truck retored as malloch and mosley logging limited, and hayes old restored hayes logger as well
Thanks for your reply, slightly confusing as it is. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same guy but I always knew him as Chum and interacted with him numerous times in the '70's and early '80's. No problem though. I also know Ed Longland who could be related to Les Longland, although I'm not sure. I'll ask Ed when I see him next. Also, I recall back when Malloch & Moseley sponsored a stock car at Western Speedway, probably in the mid '60's when I was in the Navy and used to go to the races a lot. I drove past their old place many times in later years. Later I dated the daughter of Ted Shaw from Sooke. Sadly, she passed away recently from cancer. Lots of memories from both my Navy years and then my Jordan River years, 1975-1987. Keep your stories coming BCFPVet. I like them. Take care.
hey there, chum eh interesting no one on his crew ever called him that, wes was around way before the 70's he started in the 50's along with other's, his machinery colors or company colors were green and white, he wouldtrucklog's down to muir creek log dump where malloch and mosley was for years, i never knew Mr, shaw in sooke but knew lewis knotts longtime logger and miner in sooke, along with fellow logger crazy donald razzo, my dad worked for pioneer logging and canadian puget sound timber and lumber a division of Rayonier canada (BC) limited, last i herd cragg creek logging left the area as did ipswich investments ltd and merrill ring inc of sooke and staverman logging and timber ltd, i never did figure out what ever happend to staverman or who they were owned by, or where there camp was located, Iv'ebeen out to muir creek a few times and have found old malloch mosley logging equipment out there, memories,thanks there for the info, i was looking for my old malloch and mosley cap,
wow the memories ...i went to work for longland logging when i was a kid (family went to school with some of them ) i went to go slash burning.. got all the way out to nowhere, and it was to wet to burn ,, got coffee and a thankyou , went home ha ha ,
A few more shared pics of #38-36. Look closely how exhaust pipe heat up sander box. Old Hayes HDX preloader.
BCFP VET The 1972 LW Kenworth that has been restored belongs to Gordi Isaccson When did Malloch obtain and restore an old Hayes Logging truck??? I have never seen it around ? I would sure like to see her There is not a lot of them around Thank you for the heads up Will try and track her down
it was dale malloch of metchosin, who restored a 72 kenworth logging truck, the malloch and mosley logging truck as it was called, it has been going to every xmas light truckparade for years, where they all end up at western speedway, i have pics of her 8 years ago, with dale and his beard, i don'tknow if he was in the xmas light parade this year, maybe someone could shed some light on this matter,
1948 Hayes Dump Truck Repost in this thread by request from HDX to fill in some of its history. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
1948 hayes Nice dual axel dump truck,looks like it's still restorable, maybe someone out there should see if they could haul it out, or buy it if someones ownes it, wheres this at anyways???
BCFP; yes for sure a nice old truck and hopefully she will be restored some day. Sorry but we keep it for ourselfs where she is parked, as some people might pick her up and sell the old iron....
We came upon this old girl a long time ago . She is in a nice safe environment where no harm can come to her. When we first looked at her she just smacked of BCFP and the area was right because of the older camps around there Vancouver Bay, Britain River ,Glacial,Creek as well as a few others. My dad drove one of them at Britain River so I remember them. However the windshield wipers through me off. Then after a little searching it came up Cowichan had in fact been running the same model trucks at Caycuse/Nitnat Operations back in the mid 40s and after looking at pictures sure enough there she was She is a 1944 model Although the serial # plate was long gone we found where the number was because we have restored a couple similar trucks and sure enough there it was. So she was probably transferred from there perhaps when BCFP sold off NitNat (Camp 3) to Crown Z in 1957 and they had a surplus of trucks so she was sent over to one of the Mainland Operations --this is just pure speculation on my part but it would explain how she ended up there.There was several of these trucks went to Glendale Cove (Tom Brown Division) new in 1947 and were used there till it shut down in 1949 --Then all the equipment was transferred to Vancouver Bay and Britain River You are all right she should be saved but the downside is that people get swept up in the moment and would love to grab her and restore her back to what she once was until they see the enormity of the task and then reality sets in Usually this is where common sense kicks in and she will once again sit just like she is now I personally HATE COMMON SENSE!!! We will see what we can do though
Skadill Thanks for doing this!!!!
HDX; Thank you for great info as usual. Like you I HATE COMMON SENSE. I had to give up a Danish "Triangel" truck many years ago. I had to sell her. Buyer has not so far found enough money to do the restorration....
Hello, you say bcfp sold nitinat camp to crown zellerbach in the 50's seem's kinda strange because it was owned by moore and whittington at this time off rosander main, it was kinsinger lake that was crown zellerbach in the 70's maybe earlier, my dad worked there thats how i know that one, west fraser timber had a mobile mill at that time up there as well, i have a west fraser timber cap as well in my forestry collections, kingsinger lake camp was closed down in 85, and nitinat camp im not sure when they closed permanetly
if everyones into restoring older trucks it would be a shame to let this old girl just continue to sit there and rot, i think it wouldn't hurt to go chat with the owner and see if a deal couldn't be reached to purchase her and get her in a nice warm comfy shop, with some tunes playing, hayes trucks were built to last but not this long and she sure looks in great shape but long over due for cleaning up and put back in service again, just imagine what that original engine would sound like all rebuilt, gas or diesel i bet she would sound classic by far, goodluck, doesnt hurt to ask though,
BCFPVET You have lost me completely What does Camp 3 have to do with the Moore and Whittington camp down on NitNat Lake???? Since when did Camp 3 move from Kissenger Lake on a barge halfway down NitNat Lake That camp you are talking about was originally NitNat Lake Logging before it was M/W and then became a Malloch and Mosley camp. Only way in was by boat till 1976 when BCFP and M&B built the Rosander Mainline hookup from the Caycuse Bridge It was then that the Malloch &Mosley 850 Kenworth trucks started hauling directly to the Caycuse Dryland Sort The drivers were Ike Issacson Lea Fortin Ron Long and Billy Spiller and also Mike Fortin drove near the end-- As for BCFP selling Camp 3 it was sold to CrownZ on Aug 29 1957. The Hayes we were discussing is NOT up for grabs and wont be in the forseeable future. It is safe where it is so all anybody can do is enjoy it where its at--in picture form on this site.
Nopehaven't lost you at all, moore and whittington owned nitnat division and water tower until the 70's it was 1974 rosander was built, acording to myuncle bob, who was a dozer operator, billy malloch and des mosley never used kenworths because they couldn'tstandup to there driver's abuse lol they used yuk's and a few challenger's, maybe later on but not in 74, nitnat was never a malloch camp,malloch had muir creek sort and another camp up on the queen charlottes and rivers inlet, in the 60's and 70's, my uncle was a feller buncher, for years, crown zellerbach was at kissenger in 79 acording to my uncle who worked there as well, and pictures prove that story as well, as my uncle was a chargehand for many years,
OH My What is a YUK and a Challenger ????
I got the Challenger part: My guess on the Yuk is a Mack CL350?
BCFPVET this thread is not going anywhere so lets just write it off Thanks HDX
BCFP VET Having lived in Caycuse before the road from Honeymoon Bay was put in, we went to school in Lake Cowichan by boat and the railway speeder that ran down the North Shore to Youbou. The speeder ran from BCFP Nitnat (Camp 3) to Youbou. HDX is correct in post 235. I was in the Nitnat camp a few times when I was a kid.
Sorry wrong, what year was this because cn rail stopped using the railway behond youbou sawmill as of the 60's, the rais and ties were later covered over with gravel and dirt , in the early 70's the road from the sawmill was a actually logging road, bcfp converted from rail to trucks, my uncle helped the bcfp railway crews tear up the tracks to the backofthemill where the bunks were located, there was a speeder system in the 50's but later on all was ripped up, challenger was manufactsured in alberni in 85 by a fella by the name of john, for a few years, using oem parts from mack and other outfits,yuks were made by leyland trucks and then someone else using there own parts, they were built verymuch like a hayes, nice and heavy and tough, a little heavy on fuel though lol, oh and my other uncle who lived up in shawnigan lake worked at bear creek camp and used bcfp's speeder system and later on for harrison creek camp, untilthey were both shut down, around 1963, that was around the time the logging railway was shut down period,
This was in the fifties, The road was put into Caycuse in 1956, then a school bus was used.
I for one really enjoy the thread- the trucks and the machines and the history. It sure seems like alot of nonsense and quarreling over nothing lateley (in several of these threads not just this one). HDX you have contributed to alot of enjoyment for me so dont stop posting. I can learn something new with every post! I'm not much of a translator, but I think a 'Yuk' might be backwoods for 'Euc'? Just a thought.
I believe you probably nailed it about what a 'Yuk' might be. I also agree about too much quarreling. I contributed some of that unfortunately, and may very well have helped to run an honorable man off from this forum. Hopefully not.
Can't we all just get along. I get tremendous satisfaction seeing the pictures and learning about the companies and people behind them. No one should use information on this site to profit unless they ask the poster first ie is that machine for sale, could you ask the owner if I could sell it for scrap, I would like to talk to the owner. Possibly the request would be nothing more than be able to learn from someone's experiences rather than the old stand by of the school of hard knocks. No one should be criticized for their endeavors to make money. Don't post locations of machines, if the owner can be put together with a prospective purchaser for whatever use and a deal is made to the mutual satisfaction of both parties then we should all be please with the outcome and not complain. I for one have sent several machines to the scrap yard that I was unable to sell and can't afford to keep untill the end of time with no productive use in sight. Some I was happy to see gone, others I would like to have kept, but how many cable shovels and old delimbers can you keep in your back yard before the neighbors complain. Use some discretion as to locations of machines and respect the intentions of other contributors as you would have them respect your intentions. The information here is priceless to those of us interested in learning how others have done things in different times and places. Keep the posts and pictures coming and the history of lost parts of our industry set down in writing. We will all be better off for the knowledge. Thanks
Hello, just wondering im trying to refurbish my old bullard hard had and the old bcfp logo has warn off, Were trying to recreate the replica, i wonder if maybe you could take another picture of the hard hat up close, I have a collection of this stuff actually one of a kind and plan on opening a museum up one day when all complete, I'm sure you wouldn't be into selling your hard hat, I need the colors of the emblem to march, thank you
good to see such almost iconic vehicles. made in the days men were men and gay meant happy
BCFP Cat D8H From an RBauction flyer in the 80's http://youtube.com/user/skadill
One thing I really enjoy about all these Canadian threads are the camp names; Fanny Bay, Honeymoon Bay, Cayuse, Youbou etc. Down here in the states, we hear: Lester, Grisdale, Camp 1, Camp B etc. The names are much more poetic up north. I guess that is why you have Bob Swanson and we do not.....
Jumbo Bob Swanson was the greatest MR AIR CHIME himself I still have my original industrial air ticket with his signature on it LOL
here ya go with a pic of bcfp hardhat
ooops sorry cant seam to get the pic smaller again , i will try when i get some more time , i am brain farting right now ...
bcfp logo try again going to try again
Time to bring this thread back to life Here's a picture of the Caycuse school Jan1969 . It may bring back memories for some of you. Some of my pictures may not have machines in them , but they may show a brief look back in time .
Brand new cummy for the Harris Creek Camp, 1958 international 4x4 pickup
BCFP Grader From an old RBauction flyer.
BCFP's fire truck at a house fire Port Renfrew 1961
3 Cats snubbing some type of machine up the hill , must be a heavy it has soild steel wheels under it with 3 cats pushing and pulling.
Great pics!
Could that be an old Washington Slackline machine? Snoqualmie had one that looked almost identical. It was scrapped in the late '70s carried a 2" skyline with an Iron Bird Carriage. I do not remember if the carriage was Washington mfg. or Young mfg. I seem to remember it as a product of Young but someone here will remember. It was the last yarder using a wooden tree there. I never worked under it as a slackline machine, just as a high lead machine. I got broke in there using 1-1/4 x 60 chokers. I immediately realize I liked working behind a cat which only had 7/8 chokers. Anyway, when they moved it, they never used the transport; they just drug it around on those steel wheels. Everything about it was LARGE. After nearly 40 years, the memory fades and I think the mainline was 1-1/2 and the receding line was 1” I thought a 16” Ropemaster block was big, the 20” Young blocks used on that machine were monstrous. I remember the Iron Bird sitting in the yard at Weyerhaeuser, I do not remember the size of the engine, but I think the drop line was 1” about 150 feet of it. The whole lashup was replaced about ’77 with an 046 Madill. What a tiny machine compared to that old Washington
Raising a Spar tree 1958 Harris Creek area . One of my Grandfathers favorite saying was " Back in the day when Machines were made out of wood and the men were Steel "
Excellent pics, Born2clearcut. You'd wanna know what you're doing to rig that wooden spar...
Done that a long time ago, Southland, New Zealand about 1976 approx. The wooden spar had all guy wires and blocks for the hauler attached first and then was anchored to a stump and pulled up with a Cat D6B dozer with the guys tightened or slackend as required to steer it straight as it went up. Quite a process and took nearly all day.
I saw somewhere in my pile of pics of a fully rigged tree being raised .I'll see if i can track them down .
Being from Southland was this done using a Willson Bros hauler was it? I assume 76 would have been using the diesel sleds. There are a few still around that have been converted to trailers with steel towers.
One was a Wilson Bros sled powered by Detroit, very modern compared to some. Another was one built by a company on West Coast but cant remember its name. A Washington turned up about this time too. A big gap in my life here, not one photo of any of it to my regret. This type of logging was done only in native until it was virtually shutdown with exotic forest taking over and Madills and some Skagits gradually coming in throughout NZ where the terrain made it necessary. I have been out of it for 20yrs now and have watched the destruction of the Forestry Industry in Tasmania destroyed by scabby braindead politicians spruiking for the greenie vote. One thingTassie can do is grow trees of all sorts. Lets log! .
The Dispatch was built in Greymouth and the Davidson in Hokitika. I know of three Wilsons and 4 Dispatches still around. 6 have been converted to steel towers. The last is a dispatch sitting at Maramarua. Come to think of it, it has been a long time since I have been in there so it is more likely gone by now. You should try get hold of the May issue of NZ Logger. It has a few neat photos of Kiwi steam sled haulers in it.
It was a Dispatch and on tracks.
BCFP Bear Creek 1958 Wish i knew my old machines better but i'm sure someone here will beable to tell us what make / model of machine it is . Think i counted 7 drums , maybe 8 looks like a small strawline drum on far front right . This is quite the rig too bad its broke down lol . The big sticker on the side of the plywood ( cab) says " Prevent Fire's "
great pics of renfrew , the old bear creek camp is being logged as we speak , second growth wood, timberwest owns that area , i dont know who s logging it for them tho. i knew lots of guys that train logged and truck logged out there years ago , sadly a lot of them have passed away , we are doing some heli salvage near there, closer to town ,,,, please keep the pics coming ....
I remember that shop truck, it was at the Renfrew shop. It had a welder powered by a v4 wisconson and a hand crank. Was it ever fun to start.
It looks like it might be an old sled mounted unit skidder, the two front drums appearing to be identical in size, and the two levers right in front of the plywood appear to be the operating levers for a duplex loader. The yarding drums are back towards the rear in the shadows. The front small drum might have been a car spotting drum in it’s day. The duplex loader hoists ran the drum both directions which would account for the base of the levers, with the levers being somewhat centered in the photo Every unit skidder on a sled I have ever seen (pictures) was steam, so this might have been repowered. However, Washington did build some horrendously large electrics and I think there were a couple powered by the Estep diesel. That is my 2 cents worth..
Thats the way guys. Grow it and log it.
Downtown Caycuse BCFP Caycuse office . First pic was taken 1965, second pic january 1969 looks like they got alot of snow that year
Looks like a modern (at the time) Fargo crew cab on the right. I would guess that the pickup on the left was an older International?
I think it maybe a mid 60's Dodge d350 Vigilant ,but I could be wrong . I would loved to have that Fargo crew cab today in the mint shape it looks to be in , They're kool looking rig's . Here's a Ambulance Fargo, picture taken 1969 in Caycuse
Nice. Me myself, I would give my eye teeth for a '71 or '72 Mercury 3/4 ton in mint shape.
I am kind of partial to the Willy's and the Studebaker sitting there.....Cory
Holy Cow !!!I remember when Doc Shrader use to have that ambulance parked everyday out at the big NitNat Bridge God I never would have thought it would even rate a picture Man that is pure history If memory serves me right he lived in Chemainus
Back in the Sixties, Weyco Twin Harbors (Washington) had a silver Willys just like the one pictured. My Dad was a surveyor at the time, and they kept that one 4X4 for getting into the roughest areas to survey, stake roads, and set up logging plans. I remember it well.
1958 Harris Creek area . Couple young men in the landing , The Cat has some kinda yarding package on the back .
Aug 1960 Port Renfrew. This rig here i have no idea what it is, some type of yarder. This is the only pic i have of it . I see it has guylines a strawline drum and a butt rigging hanging so it must have atleast 2 drums. Would really like to know what this is and why it was lol
We had one over at Franklin the same Was used as a windrow yarder Worked very well in the right settings They looked funny when towered down kind of like an oil derrick folded up in the middle
Ah kool HDX thanks for info . Maybe it deck this wood in these pics . Looks like they using a old Northwest for a loader
Who was the manufacturer? Powered by the usual 12V71, I assume? Inquiring minds want to know.
Port Renfrew 1961 Truck 212 crossing the San Juan bridge with a new yarder
great pics of the old bridge , the cement footings are still there next to a steel span bridge !
Was that a rail bridge at one time? Great shots by the way.
jackd, i thought it might have been a rail before but the rail from the south side of the san jaun was red creek that followed right into renfrew, the one that had bear creek trestle (largest in the comonwealth at the time )... i think the san jaun bridge was built when the switch to trucks happened ,,,
Post #286 is magnificent!
Next question: How did they load these yarders with skids onto these trucks? I see the back wall of the yarder (truck cab end) is solid, so would they string lines up each side via blocks to drag itself onboard? Would they build a ramp to get it over the rear bunks of the trailer? What kind of yarder is that?
Vilgilant - Glad you like the pic's . I'll have more coming just need to do some scanning . jackd - I have a few pic's of this yarder sitting in camp , looks like its setup to be put on a truck ( must scan these pics ). As for the type of yarder i guessing it may be a Washington as described by Jumbo on page 19,post#272 . This machine looks like a updated machine compared too the one on page 18 post#269. hoglogg - you mention the Bear Creek trestle i have a few pic's of the trestle even have one of it being blowen up after it was no longer being used . I can scan and post these pic's if anyone interested seeing the trestle ?? I'll try to get some scanning done this weekend .
MMMmmmmmmmmm....... Trestle pics. I have walked a few old trestles from the days of steam. Great memories.
Absolutely! Please post more pics!
love to see more pics of the bear creek trestle i found the remains of it and the old hwy bridge . bear creek turned into renfrew road that went to shawnigan lake , lots of memories of the area , there was a suspension bridge across williams creek years ago. , it sagged as you drove on it !!
I don't like driving heavy rigs over suspension bridges for that exact reason. Scary! lol
Bear Creek trestle In the mid-1930’s, the San Juan Valley attracted a large scale logging operation. Obtaining timber licenses in the upper reaches of the valley, the Malahat Logging Co. built a railway line from their beach camp, extending 22 km/13.6 miles to beyond the bear Creek Valley. The line followed much the same route as the Red Creek Main Line. Beach Camp, one of two camps built by them, was located where the present Port Renfrew townsite is today. At the time, the camp had a large shop, a rail line rightaway, an office, a cookhouse, a few homes and bunkhouses for the boommen and railway crews. The second camp, located on the west side of Bear Creek housed the fallers, donkey punchers, high riggers, hooktenders and chokermen, the men who worked to get the timber out of the woods, This camp was built in 1938-39 when construction was started on the Bear Creek Bridge. Standing 242 feet high and spanning 517 feet across, the bridge was, in those days, the highest wooden trestle in the world. Later in years when the bridge was showing its age, the train crew would send someone across the bridge on foot. Then they would send train with loaded skeleton cars across the bridge unmanned. When it got to other side, they would jump back on. Info from “Hiking through History” taken from internet Picture 4 you can see the roofs of camp 2 just above the bridge . The trestle was blowen up on January 30th 1957.
hoglogg could this be the Williams Creek bridge you had mentioned ?? If so i think thats alittle more then a sag lol
probably the one ,,, there were trees around it then so it looked alot different, also it was a long time ago over 30 years ,,, that road went from shawnigan lake to port renfrew , some kids light the williams crrek bridge on fire and that was the end of that route ..the story i heard ? also it went high up into the mountains and was not good in winter ,,, wish the road was still there tho as i live near shawnigan ...thanks for the pics
years ago i was researching the bear creek trestle , i tried to find the bridge on bear creek , the creek was re- named blackney after the engineer that built it , took me a while to figur that out , not much left to see now
Is that saggy bridge built like that, or did do that over time? Neat pictures. I always enjoy seeing how things were built before computers designed everything..
I participated in dismantling of the Williams creek bridge when it was removed. There were large cables anchored at each end in huge concrete blocks, and cross ties bolted to the cables with large clamps, and then the deck running fore and aft. After the deck and cross ties were removed we used a cutting torch to cut the cables at the Renfrew end. The plan was to have the line horse come and retrieve them. The cables were wrapped in a heavy galvanized wire making them very rigid. I was told later that they would not bend enough to spool on the line horse drum so they were left there. When I was working in the area previously, a forestry engineer told me they never hauled logs over it, and if they did they would have had to put a "false bent" in the bridge to remove the sag. A story was told at the time about a logging contractor from Renfrew who was moving his cat on a lowbed over the bridge heading for Renfrew, the weight pushed the sag of the bridge ahead of the truck and the front bumper and the rear of the trailer got hung up in the dip. He had to walk to Bear Creek camp to get help pulling it off the bridge. I didn't see this myself but heard about it working in the area. When driving across, it seemed fairly steep at each end.
I remember hearing a story from Sproat Lake Division about a bridge they built up near Sutton Pass. It think that it eventually got the name of the 'Glue Lam' bridge - this was what the truck drivers would use when they called in to dispatch when they were bringing in their loads to the dump at Shoemaker Bay. The bridge was a highly engineered affair made up of laminated stringers and therefore the name came from its laminated glue construction. I was told that grade guys were questioning the survey of the bridge - something just wasn't right.... It was being built by a fancy contractor with the overview of professional engineers. Suppposedly the guys were eye-balling the line-up of the bridge and thought that it would hit the far bank about a foot lower than it should. The construction company blew off their criticisms and forged ahead. Sure enough, the bridge did hit the far bank lower than it should have. There must have been a few red faces and my guess is that they must have had to alter the road for the bridge approach to fix their screw-up. You got to love those fancy engineers and their calculations.....
i found the shawnigan side of williams creek a few years ago , not much to see looked a lot different with alot of trees there,, what year was it torn down ? also a rumour was that the army built it ??? as another way out to the coast ...
I think it was in the early 90's that it was removed. Don't know who built it or when. The Federal government was involved with the telegraph line that ran along the Bear Creek M/L. It was put in for the Lifesaving Trail that started in Renfrew now known as the West Coast Trail. We used to find the odd glass insulator in a tree. I worked with a long time resident of Shawnigan Lake, who told me that the government shipped out a rail car loaded with poles for the project from New Brunswick to Cobble Hill. (Some things in Gov't never change) On the Renfrew side of Williams Creek you could see where it had been attached to the trees, so I don't know where the poles were used.
yup it was like going uphill on the williams bridge ....thanks for the info , that roads owned by timberwest now from kapoor hill to garbage creek gated both ends and i doubt it will connect anytime soon ,, have to go all the way to cowichan to get to renfrew ....
Port Renfrew 1961 Washington Yarder This looks to be a brand new machine ( i'm still guessing on the machine type ). The crew is putting the finishing touches on the ole girl before she heads up the hill . Jackd as for loading it I would say they back truck up to it and start dragging up and over the big skid log onto the truck . Can compare the size of big skid log in picture 3 couple guys standing beside it
Skagit
Thanks, Trakloader. Back in the days of the yellow Skagits, eh? That yarder in the above post looks a lot like the one on the previous page crossing the San Juan Bridge. Could that in fact be the same machine? That's the first 'modern' yarder with an enclosed cab I have seen on a sled, and without an attached steel tower.
This was the skidder being moved to Bear Creek. I don't know who made it but it was powered by two 6 cyl Cummins.
I remember seeing some ads for twin-engine skidders in the old Loggers' Handbooks.
Thanks for the info Trakloader . Yes Vigilant it is the same machine, I should of posted the pics of it sitting in the yard first , but its a large logging company and sometimes they like to do things backwards
Hmmm... Large logging company, likes to do things backwards..... you sure we're not talking about the Lazy W? :cough: Weyco... :cough:
cool old trucks love the FARGO ones anymore pics of bcfp pickups
See if i can get it right The skidder is a Skagit thats powered by two 6 cyl Cummins. This is the same truck and skidder as posted above . These pictures are the rest of the trip to the landing
continued from page 20 and 21 Almost there ,the tree is rigged and rdy to produce . Truck and Skidder getting snub up the last hill by a couple of cats . The last pic its still on the truck but in the landing . Where's the crew ?? We're here to LOG ! not @#$$ the Dog !
Those are great shots of a long forgotten era - keep posting them. What really brings it all back to me is the pics of the old settings from previous years next to where they are setting up. In my several years at M & B, we spent much of our time yarding out fire breaks - it was always fun trying to find a stump in an old setting that was still good enough to hang a guy line around. The wood is just the same size as what I remember as well - not the **** poles that these modern machines are dragging out now.
Best series of pictures I have seen! Thank you for posting this, Born2clearcut. Awaiting for the crew starting to get logs now.
Your very Welcome Torkel . I'm still converting slides , so I'll post some rigging shots when i come across a few more. Beverly Hillbillies heading home The picture below is of KW water truck , the guys on top are sitting on the riggin box. Picture taken 1962, Port Renfrew area
i had made a comment about the bear creek trestle and that timberwest was logging at the bridge , i was out there today at the west side of bear creek, its being logged, you can drive right to the remains of the trestle . found lots of neat stuff near there , 4 yarders next to eachother just the loggs left now all the steel stripped out 60-70 foot long , huge old yarders sitting with trees growing thru then , and no camera !! i will go back and get some pics when the sun is shining , looked like a yarder graveyard !
^^^ Hope the scrappers won't be paying those relics a visit, now that the cat's out of the bag. Wouldn't it be a hoot if one of those old girls was the same as the one in the above sequence of photos?
hoglogg if you see any Spar O matic's or any steel spars and get some good pic's of them we may beable to compare the old ones you find ,to pictures of some new one's ( new at the time )
these are just the 2 huge logs with crossbeam? held together with 3 inch cable and the cable ends where poured lead ends all the winches and metal stuff was long gone , i,ll get back out that way in the next few weeks and take some pics ,,, not much steel for the scrapers also on private gated property (gate was cut open when we went there ) but probably will be fixed soon i would think
Here is a photo of just a cab of a BCFP truck laying in the bush...taken in the spring of 2012
DerelictTexture Next time you are around that Hayes cab Look around the r/h side of the dash for a small brass tag about 1"X2" It will be screwed on and will have some numbers stamped into it It will be 6-### it is those numbers we need to identify the old girl Also there might be a 3"X6 1/2" (God Forbid) brass plate still screwed to the top R/H side of the dash also with a bunch of numbers stamped into it Try for pics of either one or both It is a 1966-1970 HDX it had an Allison Auto trans in her But I know BCFP had inherited a couple of WHD Hayes's and looking at the torch cut on the side of the cab that is where the bottom arm of the R/H mirror bracket was bolted. However it could have been a brace for the mirror post as well We will all wait right here while you scope it out for us OK Thanks a bunch
Awesome, I'd love to look at that for you. I'll be back in that neighborhood in a few weeks. I will also check my other photos, I think I have an interior shot of it.
HDX...here are a few interior shots from the same day...plus a couple of interesting side notes. There is a tag on the drivers side, but I can't make out what it says...even on the high res images. I'll post them here and get better ones on the return trip
DerelictTexture That is both the right tags right there in the last pic The bottom one will be stamped 6-### and the one above it will have S/N etc Look on the left hand side of the Hayes plate in the picture top will say Model No-- HDX 45-98 or something close and under that it will say Serial No and it will be either a 7 digit or 4 digit number Good Luck We are all waiting LOL. Maybe we can record another one for history! The only thing I gotta ask you to do is just keep its location to yourself due to collectors grabbing these plates for their "Bragging Wall" Many thanks from all of us
HDX... I'm sworn to secrecy for oh so many reasons.
Thanks born2clearcut for those pictuers you and your grandpa have do you know what happened to thay american grapple that was on a barge and used in cowichan lake ?
Thanks for the pictures there awesome I was just wondering if anybody has a plan to restore that yellow hayes
My dad George Phillips retired as master mechanic for BCFP Renfrew division 1987 he started in Bear Creek went to Harris Creek then finally to Beach Camp we have hundreds of photos to post of the beginnings of BCFP in this area. I just found this site and can hardly wait to share the pictures my dad took
Welcome Renfrew . I can't wait to see your pictures .I have 100's of pictures also of the same time and area . Taken by my grandfather . Who know's you may have gone to school with my mom . This newspaper clipping is from a local Vancouver Island newspaper of when my grandfather retired ,I'm posting it to give you guys a little insight of the man who took these picture's .
I strongly suspect there is a special place in Heaven for loggers. Considering the short few years I spent actually working in the woods, I hope they will give me a guest pass.
When did he become Master Mechanic at Renfrew Div? I left in 1984 (October) when Brian Dickson was MM and Phil Percival and Bob Ceriko were Shop Foremen. I know Phil ended up here in Campbell River and Bob went to another company whose name I can't recall right now and I heard Brian went elsewhere after I left too, so I'm not hip as to when George took over. I'd love to hear what happened to some of those guys. I'm looking forward to your pics as I have a soft spot in my heart for those years at Renfrew Div, even though commuting from Jordan River to Gordon River after we moved in 1983 was a pain. LOL Take care.
There sure is! "They fly pure gold chokers..." - ever heard the song by Buzz Martin titled 'Loggers Reward'?? Buzz Martin is a favorite of mine and if you guys haven't got his music you sure need to get it. Not much better out there.
I'll have to check it out, thanks. Unlike yourself, who had the honor of growing up with Mr. Finley Hays, I only met him once, and spent the better part of the afternoon at his house, talking with him about the old days of logging. As we finally parted, with regret, he said, "We'll have to talk again, in the next life. There will be plenty of time then". That is an appointment which I intend to keep.
Pure Gold chokers . I would imagine they get pretty heavy pulling that back all day .. New Northwest log loader Port Renfrew 1960 a Northwest log loader sitting in the yard looking pretty new in these pictures . The undercarriage looks like its got a few hours on it so it may just be a 5 gallon rebuild .Either way she looking good ..
Yup they were flying pure gold chokers that wouldn't kink and the bells wouldn't clog,here's a link to the song one of Skadill's early videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOiIrkW8GU&feature=plcp Here's another god song video by Skadill,sad to say as true as can be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmMBCPk7TI&feature=plcp Thanks for all the great videos Skadill!:notworthy
wow i,m a little stunned right now ,,,all the neat stuff about bcfp and one of my favorite places, port renfrew ,!!!!!! please keep it coming
Port Renfrew Shop Here's a couple picture's of the new shop in Port Renfrews upper camp . First pic taken April 1963 ,the second pic was taken Dec 1963 the buildings are all painted up and logging truck stalls built..
Hey guys...is there any old gear in the Port Renfrew area?...I'm going to be there in a couple days. In a car, not a 4x4 though!... Thanks Mike P
does anyone know who is the country artist on those old skadill videos?
I was up on oldrenfrew road last year, the bear creek trestle is still up on the hillside, with its center missing sadly, my dad remembers when they blew the center out with dynamite, after they decomissioned the camp. around 1964 i believe. harris creek camp was closed around 67 from what my dad explained.there's still a few old bunkhouses left and shopbuildings at harris and bear creek, there is also about mile of logging track that was left at bear creek, i know the logging camp at kissingering lake nitinat campwas still going in the 80's, but slowly being closed down.
Hello, I'm guessing this is where the new renfrew marina is located. i remember bcfp when i worked for them,moved from beach camp to there new location where the marina is located, there was also a log sort there as well. i believe this camp was torn down 1988. i do how ever remember there was a race that was kinda incorporated there for a few years. they then moved everything up to gordon river logging camp, which i have many pictures of as well, just before they burned the whole campdown,by the contractor. 2005,gone. i'dlike to see if anyone has any pictures of them tearing down this camp along with harris in 63 and bear creek, supposedly there is a huge old logging donkey on the left side of the olbear creek trestle, which is still standing from what i saw, kinda hard to see in the valley. maybe you can shed somelight on this. cheers
i have some pictures of the them moving some of the buildings out of harris creek and also moving houses from the beach camp in renfrew i'll post some when i can get some spare time
Port Renfrew house move 1962
Few more of Renfrew house move ,the last 2 pictures are the office being yarded of a float .
Harris Creek Camp move 1960 Picture's 3 and 4 house crossing Bear creek bridge . pictures 5 Truck #223 moving building ,but looks like the rear of the building has started to collapse .
Cool stuff! I was just on a road trip to that part of the world ...last week. My parents first house in Davis Bay came off a barge ( in the 50's ) and was dragged by Cat to it's present location on Davis Bay road. It just occurred to me that I might have pics of the old "Georgia Transporter" self powered landing barge..sitting around somewhere. It used to pick up and drop off Jacksons Bros Logging gear on the beach down by the Standard Oil wharf.
A bit sad but cool pics, would be good to see them restored and put into a logging museum
Sorry guys I was talking about all the old logging gear just parked up in the scrub. Not sure how my previous post ended up underneath these photos. Cool photos though
bear creek bridge , the curved road bridge that was on bear main , ,it was closer to the san jaun river , i have some pics of the remains of that bridge, i,m guessing that the buildings in these pics were when they moved to beach camp ? great stuff thks for posting !!!!
I think that yellow cabover truck shown in Post #347 and other posts may be the same truck that is sitting to the left of that old red B Model in Post #55 in the Vintage Macks thread. Any thoughts?
Bear Creek Community Hall 1961 Picutre #1 was taken in the 50's picture was sent from a family friend . The rest of the picutres are of the Hall being burnt down on purpose to destroy it , guess it wasn't worth trying to move .
a few more
1976 New Machines Couple new machines on the claim
Nice pictures,what were they trying to achieve by putting the bucket facing away from the excavator?
That makes my day,those two above photos.Thanks a bunch for finding those.The Lorain Log Loader is awesome!
Wagner Stacker Shared photos.
Superior break out force was a result
Raising Spar Tree
few more
What kind of truck is that in the center of last picture? Was this in Renfrew as well? Cool pictures, I always look forward to seeing more of them! Reg
Great pictures Born2clearcut! First thing for me to do in the morning these days is looking at HEF for more pictures from your collection!
I'm glad you guys enjoy the pictures ,I've been kinda Slackin on posting pictures . Yes RCP57 this is in Renfrew area . Not sure what kind of truck that is , maybe a Mack, maybe not lol here's a close up picture of it , maybe someone in the forums could help us out on what Make and Model the ole line horse is
VERY CLASSY She is a Corbitt model 50SD6 / White Model 666 6Ton powered by a HXD Herc 855ci Gas engine and 6 wheel drive These trucks were built by both Companies and were the same truck For you military guru's they were G-512 and G514 In this picture you can see what appears to be an M26 "Wiffle Tree" welded onto the top behind the cab Must have been for hanging a block for some special purpose These old Line horse's / Rig up goats were always heavily modified by the "Rig Up Crews" that worked them The blacksmith shops would make all kinds of special job related equipment for these guys Born2clearcut this is one of the few remaining sets of pictures showing the raising of a tree WELL DONE
Very interesting... Thank you for the post! That would be a cool truck to make a scale model of someday. Anybody have more pictures of those trucks? Reg
Just paste this into your browser, lots of info on these trucks, http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_corbitt_white_ww2_6ton.php
Thanks!
Rigging a Standing Tree Here's a standing tree starting to be rigged up , looks like he's doin some guyline work in these pictures
Very cool pics Born to clearcut. This stuff is intriguing. Makes you realise how easy things are these days, comparitively. Like Torkel, I enjoy the stuff you put up too.
You're right Kiwi , We work hard in the the bush today ,but they worked harder back then . They were a very inventive bunch back in the day, which has got us to the point we are at now in the logging industry. 1958 Sled # 762 Side No_1 This Sled can be seen in the background of a few of my other post in this thread
1958 Harris Creek area Here's a couple pictures of what a wooden spar tree looks like after its all rigged up and ready to log .
I'm thinking that the rigging/guywire design was done by the wire and cable salesman...or the engineer had a spar fall over in the past...and he said "not this time!"
Wooden spars flex a lot, so they need an extra set of guylines to prevent the tree from collapsing. The taller the tree, the more guylines. Some had three sets in total.
Those shovel fronts were popular for a short period in the 70's-80's. They really produced, the Poclain they had here often built 800ft. of subgrade in a day. I think they only stopped using them because they still had to work off of mats.
I sure enjoy these old school logging pictures you've been posting...thanks
Hey Murk, I have a ton of old pics to post! All colour too. I posted some in "Back in the Day" and have about 20 more to do.
The first few pictures picking out a wooden spar ( 1958 Bear Creek ) the other pic's are of a rigged wooden spar . The last pic is of a wooden spar and setting both taken in 1959 Harris Creek, Renfrew area
I will never complain about moving the 3 guy lines on a swing yarder ever again
1959 Renfrew area truck#212 with side #1 on lowbed on the move with alittle help from a cat
Born2clearcut It is driving me nuts and we just gotta find out--When did unit #211 AKA 6-211 get the newer style Hayes cab She must have been rolled over or had a log dropped on her but she for sure has a early 60's HDX cab on her as opposed to the early cab as seen on 212 above and also 213. From unit #203 in 1954 they had the special built Clipper style cabs and somehow old 211 ended up with a later style cab. Other than that she is pretty original Just a shot here
As you know HDX I have quite a few pictures of BCFP's older truck fleet , I'll have a look around for pic of 211 .I know for sure I have some pic's of the lower 200 BCFP truck series.
Born2clearcut I have gone over her carefully and the cab on her appears to be early to mid 60's vintage I would guess if something happened to her it would have been in that time frame Other # on her were CSP 26(Contractor unit #) and her Fire Tanker # was 36-65 I will phone Calvin Oliver first chance and ask him. Al Skeene and Rob Norman and Bob Norcross came up with the original # of the old early HDX unit # 36-71 as # 213 That is down in Sarita. Island Pacific Logging owner and his son did a fantastic job of restoring her just for the Hayes 90th Anniversary Show here in Port Alberni on July 1st long weekend she sure looks good and it speaks volumes about how much people really care about the Log Truck history of the province The entire crew down at the IPL Chemainus Shop deserve a big round of applause for what they did in a very short time span We will go into this restoration further as this thread comes along
I only found one picture of #211 April 1959 . The date I have on the picture is the date the picture was developed not necessarily when taken . I also had a quick look for #213 but no luck .
The A-Team would love that thing...Lol
Born2clearcut That is a fantastic picture of her She still has her original cab on her --same as #212 and the original Seattle Stakes have also been replaced with solid higher stakes. What is very interesting is the fact that she is under the boom of an "air tong" loader The loading tongs were air operated The old style tongs are on a strap in front just to unload the trailer from the truck and then the second loader flips the strap off the boom and they load with the air tongs.That is pure lost history.We had one over in Franklin River also and she was bone-yarded in the mid 60's Thanks for posting these fantastic pictures
Back in the Fifties, my Dad evaluated the Berger-Rees air tongs as part of his thesis. I still have said thesis.
Where did he go to school?
Undergraduate at West Virginia U, Master's at Washington State U. I think he completed his Master's in 1954. Or thereabouts. He spent one year with Potlatch in Headquarters, ID, including the Spring log drive down the Clearwater. That was the Frenchman's last drive. Red McCollister took over the next year as Boss. Dad went with Weyco Twin Harbors after that, working for Ken Schaeffer. Retired from Weyco after 39 years. He was an honorable man, not like some of the characters we see today in that outfit. He would have never been a part of what they did to McMillan Bloedel.
1958 Truck #212 seems to be BCFP's main lowbed for that date and time, these pictures they're loading a big chunk on the lowbed with a Washington line loader ( no idea what the chunk was used for ). In picture 3 you can see a wooden bridge arch in the background. More of #212 and it loads to come soon
That lowbed looks like the one that is up here, it has a 849RF under it now, but it says British Columbia Forest Products on it and looks really old. I must get pics of it.
In the third picture it looks like it has HAYES on it.
it does...
I also thought it said HAYES , but after zooming in and staring at it for awhile I noticed it was a R at the end , making it say HAYER . Picture 1 is orginal zoomed in , pic2 I outlined the letters and filled in ( not my best work ) . My eye's are not the best anymore ,maybe someone with better eyesight see's something differant ??
Born2clearcut That is a Hayes 80 Ton Low Bed s/n 6021695 Was delivered not long after 211 and 212 s/n 5081621 5081622 to Renfrew Division If you go onto the Hayes thread go to post 167 and you will see the same name plate on the side of Rick Jones's 20-19 It did not come there from Hayes but was added by somebody I think that is why the name has been altered. Maybe a drivers name ???Hayes never put those on any other trucks other than those built between 1948-1951 That was the span of that model truck. In 1952 Hayes introduced the all new concept in their trucks called the "HD" and that replaced those series trucks What do you think???
Born2clearcut; Great pics. They are inspiration for my modeling. I like those old HDX with the Clipper doors.
BCFP unit #36-84 converted to a Fire/water truck.
Hayesno1 Very nice pictures there! Jim Falconer and I spent a great deal of time on weekends trying to track down some of the trailers that came with these trucks as well as the original bunks (Seattle style) but could never find any trace of them. It was not till one day we were beating the bush's down at Messachie Lake and came across a couple of their big Tanker Trailers-- What BCFP had done was they took rail road tanks and put wheels under them and in the summer during fire season they would haul them out to different areas with the PreLoad trucks and set them up as mobile fire tankers in case of forest fires. That in itself was brilliant!!! Just out of interest we went over and looked at one of them because it still had a matching set on neat old Goodyear Cross Bar Tires on and that went WAY BACK . It was then that we figured out that we were looking at one of the original trailers!!!! I took my trusty jackknife and scratched away the paint and sure enough there was the serial number and it was one of them! Then we started really scoping them out and be darned if the original bunks off the trucks and trailers werent cut and welded together to make base's for the big tanks to sit on These were riveted bunks back then and there in you picture above it stands out very clearly! I think that BCFP was way ahead with their mechanical thinking than some of the others. They used everthing they had rather than just scrap it Wonder if any of those old tankers are still around Would be nice to see at least one saved Maybe I will make some calls and see what we can do!!!! This could go in a very good direction
OK HDX I'll reply here with some pics in the hope that this is one of the same ex- BCFP units. I was in Chemainus looking at some grapple yarders at one point (2004?) and snapped these pics (and a couple hundered others) in that neighborhood. The tanker is as described and there were several other trailer variations at this location as well. One pic is of a mobile 'fuel platform' for lack of a better word; Snapped an boatload of pictures simply because I thought they were cool. Completely forgot about the trip and the pics until you rattled my head with that last post!
Rusty Grapple You are right on with that post!! The red one was one of the ones we use to see being dragged around in the summer months by the BCFP PreLoads. They used the PreLoad truck's because they could lift the trailer up with the hydralic 5th wheel and the driver would lift the trailer legs up and put pin's in to hold them up and then drop it down to the frame level and away he would go. We always found that to get stuck bull-cooking the fire tankers around was a punishment thing So we always use to laugh at the guy doing it because you just knew he had peed off the truck dispatcher. In your pic's the 36 Ton Hayes Trailer's are very clear. There were a few other of those trailer's that also had the old Seattle bunks welded where the legs were and they had a set of short leg's on them Also you can see the king pin very well. The first picture show's a 36 ton "Dolly" under the front of that unit. You can see the 5th wheel on the top of the trailer These 36 ton dolly's were not as common as the 50Ton Columbia Trailers. I think its great that some of these treasures are still around if only in pictures Thanks for sharing these because I think a lot of guys were wondering what the heck I was talking about LOL
HDX, Very interesting information. I must see if I can find a rail road tank model and convert it to a preload tanker. Here some brochures of Seattle bunks used on Hayes.
Ups I forgot one!
Sounds good to me HDX ,it won't be the first time someone has made or altered something so their name lives on with a machine .
Picture 1 1962 Renfrew area . This is one of those water tankers HDX is talking about . It's being fillup with water by a hi volume pump
There was about 8 maybe 9 of those trailers built and there is still a few around although they are no longer used they are still in existence So there is hope yet LOL The BCFP drivers called them "Long Toms". Very nice post Born2clearcut Shows them in action
i found 2 of those converted rail tankers out in renfrew area , all rusty now , one parked near gordon river and one across the san jaun river about 2 years ago tho , not sure if the scrappers have them now tho , also there were a few square tanks , setup near creeks , i,m guessing they were not for filling the water tanks for offroad trucks , but for fire,, as they were on the ground versus set up as water towers .
Hey Rusty Grapple, in reference to the red water tanker converted from a rail tank car in thread 401, would you happen to have any additional photos of this rig? I've got a feeling I need to build me one of these! Thanks Scott
1969 Snow fall Looks like Caycuse area got a good dump of snow in 1969
Those pictures of winter -69 brings back memories to me, working on north island we had christmas holiday and were supposed to start up on jan. 3 i think. But cause of the snow we were shut down three or four weeks if i remember right. Thanks for sharing pictures Sigurd
Here's a few picture of some trucks parked waiting to start the day . Picture 1 is Harris creek 1958 truck number 206 Hayes ,201 KW ,187 KW , 204 Hayes , 202 Hayes . All have wooden reaches. Picture 2 is truck number 205 Hayes , # 201 KW and third truck is a KW number unknown , trucks are parked outside of Port Renfrew 1959 . Picture 3 and 4 1969 Caycuse trailer reload ( I think )
I remember 1969 and the snow quite well. I'd started as Warehouseman at the logging camp in Gold River August that year and thought the previous winter was something as we'd had a total of 16' of snow at Gold River and a heckuva time when the pulp mill froze up during the Christmas shut-down. Little did I know that '69 would bring us another whack of snow, although less than the previous year I think, and at one time I had to buy a bunch of snowshoes so the fallers could get in to where they were falling. And they had to dig out around the trees they were falling too, sort of like that last pic. We fought snow pretty hard that year as markets and demand were good. Thanks again for sharing your pics. Really appreciate them. Take care.
Couple new trucks years unknown Picture 1 Hayes preload with a self loading trailer , couldn't see the number of this truck ,maybe HDX can help with some info ? Picture 2 Hayes truck #229
Born2clearcut 6-234 Also bound for Caycuse as well as 229 Will see what I got on them The pic of 6-234 was part of a photo shoot by Hayes for their new brochure featuring the HDX
Unit # 229 was built with this front bumper and only a few came like that. This was in part a request made by Master mechanics to get away from the "I"beam style and the old short "Stub" bumpers . They were terrible for pushing Low-beds and rubber tired Log Loaders and the bumper above was the proto-type. But with the wide flat surface it proved to be problematic when pushing on a corner. After several trips to the island to actually watch what was happining ,the engineers went back to the drawing board and changed the configuration of this bumper and gave it the swept back 6 degree angle on each side as well as extending the front frame rails by 4 inches that became the bumper all HDX's would be built with. This would carry over to the Pacific Truck as well because they also have a problem when pushing a Low-bed or a rubber tired log loader on a sharp switchback or sharp corners--- the front fender is always getting bent. Happens to both sides. There is no strength on the side's and you have to keep the middle 4 feet of the bumper as the pushing area.With the HDX the fenders slope back enough to avoid this damage but the Pacific is not so fortunate due to the big square fenders. It's too bad because once the fender is wrinkled it usually stays that way. Quite a number of customers would get big square steel blocks welded onto the bumper as well and this gave a little more distance between the brushguard and whatever you were pushing-- say a rubber tired log loader up a hill. When going through a deep dip in the road or starting up a really steep pitch the loader fuel tank/counterweight was even with the push plate you were pushing on and it would tilt back and bend the brush guard and then hit the rad and then the fan would destroy that as well as wrinkling the hood. This happens more than you would think.
Thanks for the info HDX . Your knowledge of these trucks is Outstanding . I'm starting to get alot of my old pictures named , numbered and dated thanks to you . :cool2 .Keep up the awesome work :drinkup
I was talking to a friend today about old trucks and the subject came up about the front bumpers! Just to keep the record straight Hayes started to build the all new concept in their Heavy Duty truck line in 1952 called an HD for Heavy Duty. These trucks were built with a front bumper called a "Stub"bumper made out of 10 inch "I" beam 6 feet long. By very early 1953 Hayes was getting lots of interest from more customers in the HD's but some wanted a more versatile front bumper and the engineering dept came up with a smaller version of the "Push Bumper" and by mid 1953 it was another option that could be installed on these trucks--However--The HDX would retain the "I"beam bumper till mid 1965. The only reason I added this info was for you guys with sharp eyes that saw the older Hayes's with the push style front bumpers and would wonder what that was all about. It was actually BCFP that got HAYES to try and reproduce a similar front bumper to the Kenworth one on their earlier units like 200 and those pictured above. If you look you can see the similarities above on the KWs. Some of the earlier HDX's actually had their "I"beam bumpers boxed in by their shops or welders. This summer Jim and I found one of the old BC Hydro HDX's and sure enought its front bumper was covered over to make it look newer. But underneath was still the original "I"beam job
Found a picture of #229 working in 1969 with a preload trailer Caycuse area. The front bumper has already been changed . Their is a picture of #229 brand new in post number 414, page 28
Also a picture of 229 with a lowbed on page 5 , post #66 in this BCFP thread post #69 has more info on truck #229 the year , s/n ect
Wow! Thanks for sharing those pictures guys, I'm astounded at the colour photos of Renfrew back in the hayday. I guess I'm late to the party, my old boss said if you were a teenager getting drunk up sooke back in he day the cops would get you and tell you you start work in the morning in JR or wherever.
Tried to find it today. no luck. we made it to 12 k on the main.
found another Bear Creek bridge picture hiding in my pile
canadian forest products is there enough pictures around and information on this company to start a thread. my dad worked for them at harrison mils 48to53 ihave but 4 pictures of that time but may be more out there thanks
Howdy alcan 50 , I had a look into the forums and found a Canfor thread already , it was about 12 pages into it . i'll do a small post to move it to the top of the thread list for you . The n you can post away ..
Couple pic's of the road crew the first picture is a Lloyd Edgson's old ford dump truck getting loaded at the pit . Second picture is a gradall loading a truck ,not sure if the same truck or not . M T Noggin may know more about these pictures or atleast the truck
Heres a few riggin pictures from Harris Creek 1958
I got this pic from "HDX". It's Hayes WHD I think but I am sure HDX will correct me if I am wrong.. LOL.. Original it was a Cattermoles truck unit #216.
Hayesno1 This is the sister truck to the BCFP colored one you like so much. Hate to tell you this but both of them are HD's Jim Falconer and I spent a great deal of time going over your favorite truck yesterday and Jim finally found where the s/n was stamped. Many years ago I saw the one you liked and tracked her s/n to Cattermole Timber but left it at that. Some light fingered individual stole the brass plate off her,and I lost the paper with the info on it. Well her number was 217 and the above pic is what she would have looked like when delivered new. She was part of a 4 truck order from HAYES by Cattermole Timber.The four trucks were delivered in July 1962.Trucks were numbered 215 216 217 218 and the next year they got another one identical to these as unit number 219 The reason for the BIG rad was because all 4 of them came with V8 Cummins 350 HP Engines and they used the same rads that the BCFP HDX's were built with using the V8 Cummins. Cummins needed the bigger rads for cooling These trucks were all HD 35-80's 4A112 main trans and 8341C aux trans 47-40 rears with 14:00X24 tires and 9:03 ratio diffs Giving the trucks a top speed of 50 MPH. The reason I got you to post this on the BCFP thread is because Cattermole-Trethewey was bought out by BCFP in May of 1971 and these trucks were spread around to different camps and operations as BCFP units That is why your old girl got the deluxe paint job (Orange white and green with the logo painted properly on the doors) Cattermole got the first WHD built by Hayes (Aug 1964)and its unit number was 221 There is pictures of her kicking around the internet She had a Black and white striped front bumper and had a well used trailer on it. Thanks for posting these for me Kim
Big Fir on top of 2 trucks traveling together. Maybe a new pole for a dump machine ? Not sure what dump this is . Pictures 3 & 4 are of Pitlake dump , last picture is a bundle going down the skids ,looks like 2 camp run skids and a bundle skid, dump unknown
How did they manage to synchronize hauling this pole two trucks together without pulling the log right off,did they use rope between trucks? Sigurd
As far as i can tell by the full size picture . The top cross logs are notched and then wrapped and chained down to the load , the long log on top is cinched down to the cross logs which holds the log and trucks in place.
Here are pics of BCFP Hayes HD unit #36-92 at right thread. When new she was Cattermole Timber unit #217 and looked like Cattermole Timber #216 posted a few days ago.
Born2clearcut Thanks for explaining, that makes sense, still think it took some skill from the drivers Sigurd
More pics of BCFP Hayes HD unit #36-92. Pics were taken in Coutaney summer 2007.
Born2clearcut; Great pics as usual. It must have been an impressive sight. It looks like those Hayes trucks at first picture are M&B trucks but I have been wronng before - several times..
H06 was an M&B truck down at Copper Canyon. That picture was taken when they were getting all the big fir logs ready to be sent to Japan for EXPO "70" They stood them all up over there and really they were impressive
Sorry guy's ,I knew the first 2 pictures were M&B trucks ,not sure why i posted them here :Banghead , Habit i guess
EXPO 70 hmm maybe that explains some pictures i have of 2 skidders skidding out one log together,each skidder had one end of the log not to drag the log on the ground. Also 2 line loaders loading a hiway truck with no grapples, they are using the mainline choked on each end of the log to load it onto the truck. I always wondered why they were handling these logs so carefully
First 2 pictures are 1958 Harris Creek. Truck#204 with a big fir on top . picture 2 you can see truck #188 a KW in background . Picture 3 is #204 crossing over the San Juan bridge 1961
Born2clearcut; Great pictures as usual. I realy enjoy those old pictures filled with atmosphere/action. I'll have to build a model of that Hayes HDX model with Hayes Clipper doors. Pic of Fargo C700 water truck.
Any photos on hand of medium duty Mercury trucks? Would love to see 'em.
I have a few pictures of Mercury trucks, but they were not used in the forest industry, so I will not post them at this site. Send me a PM.
Great picture, I remember having to walk over that bridge to get to our house in Bear Creek camp as the road from Shawnigan ended on the east side.
As a kid I remember spending a lot of time in that old community hall, great pictures your posting sure brings back memories, keep up the great postings.
Sure hope you weren't holding hands with my Mom when you were crossing that bridge (Just joking Y&L)
Harris Creek 1958 Here's my grandfather standing beside truck# 201 with a 3 piece load
I'll show the picture to my dad and see if he remembers him.
BCFP Hayes HDX preloader with preload fire tanker
Shared pics of BCFP unit #217. A Hayes HDX with preload trailer in front of office. Some great pics - please enjoy and thanks for sharing.
Pictures taken in front of Pitt Lake Office June 61 came with BD 50-70 rear diffs and 8241 main and 8341B aux GM engine
The HDX fire tanker pictured above (PT1) was cut up in Campbell River a couple years ago. I bought the cab off her. The rear ends were installed in a gravel truck
Road Crew First 2 pictures are of a Cat converted into a drill rig 1958 Harris Creek last 3 pictures are of a tank drill going through a good size rock cut 1962 Port Renfrew area
^Awesome!
Truck # 203 Picture 1 - Harris Creek 1960 truck #203 with short stakes . Are these what they call Seattle stakes ? Picture 2 - and 3 are of truck #203 in 1961 with a 5 gallon rebuild and converted over to a Pre-load truck In picture 2 with the headlights under the rad and the trailer hitch and steel plate on bumper almost looks like #203 is happy to be getting another load
1959 Port Renfrew area Air tong's and a wooden boom . Not a 100% sure on machine make , maybe someone knows the make of this machine ?
Looks like a Northwest. The pictures of the drill, the last three don't show a tank drill. I can see cat tracks, appears to be another cat drill.
Weren't all the Northwests orange from the factory? Paint looks like an early Lima.
They were either orange or yellow, and went back and forth from what I have seen. Lima normally had the cab on the other side.
I have never seen a yellow Northwest, although I'm sure you're right. Now that I think about it, I believe the few Limas I have been around did have the cab on the other side.
Looking closely, that is a Model 6 Northwest and appears to have the high lift boom, and probably has the long sticks, too. The Northwest has more rigging than other shovels, with extra stays on the boom, etc. You couldn't raise or lower the boom easily on those machines.
You must be a ole Cat tracker from way back trakloader , you are right after zooming in I can see a Cat drill . I just saw the orange and figured it was a Finning tank drill , but what I was looking at was the compressor on the back . here's a close up for those who don't have the eyes that trakloader has .
This is all so neat! My Grandpa was the president of BCFP for a while, Ken Benson. He always loves seeing pictures and other stuff from his BCFP days. I cannot wait to show him this forum. Did anyone work with him at all?
MR KP Benson Didnt he come in just after EP Taylor quit Seems to ring a bell mid 60's Welcome to this humble site miss benson Enjoy!!!!
Love the look of that Kenworth I think I have the build sheet on that unit I will have a look nice picture. If I have it do u want a copy?
Towering up in Harris Creek area 1958. Looks like a real nice machine to run all day
Hey there Renfrew, I just discovered this site. I remember you're Dad very well. Hope you get some pictures up soon. Cheers, Dave Virtanen.
I love it when another veteran Canuck finds this site. Even though, sadly, I am not. Welcome aboard, Dave. :thumbsup:
hdx on frame #33 could be BCFP 6-247 or 6-254 these were nekite river trucks sent to elk river when nekite shut down. 6-247 was about 1972-3 6-254 was about 1974-5 .Both Hayes HDX had hydralic rams under truck bunk to hook up lowbed. both trucks were other wise conventional log trucks converted to preload trucks when transfered to Elk River.
HDX#6-211 was originaly a Caycues truck transfered to Nekite R. prior to 1975 . The difference in the cab could be that it was wrecked at Nekite between 1975 -1978 the first time I seen it in 75 it was still yellow with a green hood in 78 it was painted in later B.C.F.P. colours . As Nekite was vally bottom haul the water valves were never put back in cab for water on brakes.
camptramp Thanks for solving that little problem!!! As you probably read on this thread about the cab on 211 was changed and now thanks to you we have atimeline when and where it was done Thanks A lot and welcome aboard HDX
pictures on page 18 frame #269 is the skidder at Bear cr. camp before new sled and cab. Pictures on page 20 frame #286 is the skidder with new sled and cab crossing suspension bridge over San Juan River. (bridge was built in 1957 or 1958 to join Bear Creek rail grade to Lens Creek truck roads ) Pictures on page 21 frame #307 is the skidder with new sled and cab ready to leave the Harris Creek camp , sled was probably built by George Sturmy sometime around 1960 .Page 21 frame #315 shows skidder crossing new Lens Creek bridge old bridge is still there . The skidder was retired in 1964 or1965 it was abandon on its last setting in Merdith Creek a fork of Bear Creek with the home tree standing and rigged the cab , engine and lines stripped off of it . Far as I know its still there.
Pictures on page 23 frame #338 is the 79 log loader after its converion from a grade shovel. It could be the first model 6 Northwest rigged up as a grapple loader in Renfrew divison I believe Jack Murius was the First operater on it .It was built in the late 1930s or early 1940s it loaded from steel tower landings until the mid 1970s it more than paid for its keep.
Picture on page 28 frame #406 showes a HDX Hayes pulling a"Long Tom" water tanker .When B.C,F.P. shut down the logging railroad they kept all the tanks off water cars oil cars and tanks off the locie tenders .The smaller tanks were made into slipons for convetional trucks and the larger tanks 5000 to 10000 gallons were made into long toms using old log truck traillers in the mid to late 1950s .As the trucks were up graded better trailers were put under the long toms . the master mind behind this project and many others including the B.C.F.P. style of preload trailer was the master mechenic George Gibberson
HDX any thougths on my thoughts of the B.C.F.P. Hayes with the non B.C.F.P. preloader set up on page 3 frame #33 I think its at Elk River
The picture was taken at the "Y" in Courtenay It was a Crown Z truck painted up in BCFP colors. I know its strange but there are a couple trucks both Pacific preload and Hayes that somehow were painted in BCFP tri-color. At first we thought maybe she was a conventional truck converted to a preload but a couple of us went up to Campbell River where she was for sale and went over her No she was for sure always a preload. So the mystery continues!!! As for 6-247 she was delivered to Nekite Division May 23/73 and 6-254 went there Oct 2/74 Funny thing was 6-247 was still painted Apache Yellow when delivered from Hayes 6-254 was the BCFP Toledo Orange and Superior White and Forest green stripe. Also while on this great subject 6-245 and 6-246 were delivered new to Malibu Division on the same barge as old 6-247 They were both still also Apache Yellow. Can you shed any light on this one???? They were painted AFTER they were in service for some time. I know its strange because BCFP had gone to its new company colors same time as M&B and Crown Z and that was 1967. I scoped out some of the later Hayes HDX's of yours and sure enough under the tri-color is Apache Yellow paint. 6-246 ended up at Gordon River Camp and had the "Line Horse" mounted on her. She is down in Sarita now just sitting and she has yellow under her. Any idea's?? Good to see this thread come alive again
HDX When I was at Nekite R. in 1975 the 6-247 was painted yellow with green hood .When I was in Nekite in 1979 it was in B.C.F.P. tri colours The 6-254 was always BCFP tri colours .When I was in Malibu in 1977 the 6-245 and 6-246 were both yellow with green hoods. The 6-243 and 6-244 both arrived at Renfrew yellow with green hoods . I donot know which was the first Hayes to be painted BCFP tri colours but the 6-253 appeared to have tricolours new posibly someone from Caycuse knows if the 6-249 6-250 6-251 or 6-252 came new painted tri colours . As to why they were painting new trucks yellow up until 1973 I donot know, but I,ll ask Lance Lingren next time I see him. It,s interesting that there was a push on in the late 1970,s to paint all BCFP equipment the tri colour scheme and every camp had a different combination untill the early 1980s when a thick book arrived with insructions on how to paint erverythink the same.
Page 5 frame #71 shows a picture of Burger Tower your right it is square it was at Renfrew Div. its # was 717 it had a highlead winch on it, make and manufature unknown but it was anicent the winch was mounted on a drop center lowbed trailer the squire tower and racks to raise it were mounted above winch using the mainline on the base of the tower and haulback hooked to block purchouse threaded though a rack with rollers to roll up the squire tower .The tower was stood to a hieght that the quarter guylines on the base of tower could stand the tower up. A real work house it was,nt a job it was a sentence thank christ there were,nt a lot of then around I set chokers on it chased on it pulled rigging on it and went camp inspecting from it.
Awesome info Camptramp . It's great to get some more info on some of my pictures.Now that the rain is here I'll have to get some pictures going again . Thanks for the info camptramp and welcome to HEF and the BCFP thread .
Born2clearcut If I ever figure out how to scan pictures I have three albums of pictures from renfrew caycuse malibu and nekite I,ll share with the crew plus a couple of other camps I checked out.
Pictures on page 6 frame #79 shows an Northwest model 80D loading out of SPARAMADIC Steel tower I believe they were 120 ft. in hieght . if you look closeiy you can see the big tires under the carrier ,same as picture of the Sparamadic in frame #81 towered down on the move . Picture #79 makes me think it was taken at Caycues as they had a couple Sparamadic,s as well as Northwests ,I don,t recegnize loader as one from Renfrew . Though Renfrew and Pit Lake each had a Sparamatic tower and Northwest loaders, A little thought I had on the numbering system for BCFP steel towers .It seems that when they started buying towers they sent out yarder winches and had them mounted on towers ,the tower took the number of the winch. I remmber the #1 slackline arriving back on a brand new 120 ft. Skajit telescoping tower #762 . In the spring of 1966 after all the old yarders on wooden sleds were recycled complete new towers got new numbers the first at Renfrew being the #797 a 120 ft. Skajit tower on atank under carrage with a new IJ80 inter lock winch.
Born2clearcut picture on posting # 167 is the old A frame dump where the log trucks dumped after the railroad was tore up in 1953 or 1954 on the Harris Cr. side of the San Juan vally. The dump was created by dredging out the mouth of Browns Cr. where the Gordon R. meets the north arm of the San Juan R. There are pictures prior to that one showing a dragline working I suspect that is dredging that same log dump.
Hayesno1 picture on posting #217 #224 is the old 6-223 Renfrew Div. truck in 1979 BCFP bought a Smith sander set up with peload legs (you can still see the cut off squaire tubing ) and set up the 6-223 as a sand truck in the winter and haul logs in summer could be witched back and forth in about an hour later on 1980-81 it was penioned off log haul and was permenent sand truck. For some reason the box didnt lift as high on it compared to the sander on the 6-208 which was later swapped to the 6-225 . You can only imagine our frustration when they sent the 6-225 to Nanimo Lakes to get trashed and were stuck with the 6-223 in the late 1980s when Fletcher took over us ,something about the 6-223 having a couple new rearends . The guy that made that desicion wasnt very popular , one early morning when I was up Br. 1400 in the dark on a sheet of ice when the gravel quit because box wouldnt go up any higher . I manged to ditch her in the high side before it picked up much speed . Oh the joys off sliding backwards in dark on sheer ice .
Couple pictures of possibly building booming grounds in Port Renfrew. The black and white pictures i may have posted before , sry if this is the case
Born2clearcut The first pictures on posting 484 is the clearing to start dredging the booming grounds for the new Dlyland sort at Renfrew Div. around 1960- 1961 I remmber it being built but the exact dates are alittle fuzzy . The contractor with the cats was Ike Skelly he teamed up with another contractor who had grade shovels and draglines .After the land was cleared the boompocket was dregded the gavel was used to fill the sight of the DLS and Shop up to grade. It really was ahuge undertaking. The sight is now where the marina is located. the same contractors cleared the sight above Beach Camp and put in the services for the houses moved down from Harris Cr. I think the lower pictures are of the old A frame dump being dredged for the switch over from railroad logging to truck logging on the Harris Cr. side in the early 1950,s the boompocket for the DLS is just continuation of the A frame dump. The first picture is of pilings beeninh driven in for the new Booming grounds For the new dryland sort.
Thanks for the info camptramp , I posted some pictures of the houses moved down from Harris creek in this thread somewhere . I'll have a look I think i have some pictures of the new DLS being setup.
Born2clearcut You posted pictures of Bear Cr. and Harris Cr. Houses on the move in an earlier posting . Heres some Renfrew history for you. I dont know all the houses at Bear Cr. or Harris Cr. There about 4 maybe 5 houses that appeared built in Beach Camp about 14 that were bunk houses that were bunk houses renovated, added on to become houses . And 8 houses built in Vancouver and setup in Beach Camp. At some point of time and I believe it was after BCFP took over the Renfrew area had houses built in Vancouver . They were built on skids in two haves then barged to Port Renfrew and hauled up to Bear Cr. and Harris Cr. on the logging rail road , put to gether and held together by 3or4 steel rods throuh the floor joist and tied together in the attic. Bill Brown was the contractor who move the houses from Bear Cr. to Beach Camp in 1959 to do it he split the houses in haft and brougth them down the old rail grade . They were set up where the railroad use to run through Beach camp and where the shop and cook house ,bunk houses were located .About 24 to 26 houses . When Harris Cr. was moved down to Beach Camp in 1961 Modern House Movers was the contractor, they moved the houses down the Harris Cr. haul road in one piece they desizned and built a custum trailer haul the houses with hydralics built in to it so the right wheels lean over to ride the timber that divided the walkway from the main traveled lane of bridge. It also raised the whole house high enough to clear the gard rails. Not positive but think I belive the owner of Modern pioneered the system that uses a jack system controled remotly from a truck to raise a whole house at once. The Harris Cr. houses were set up above Beach camp along the main road through Renfrew between where the school and store are located.
Le tourneau setting up Renfrew sort 1963
Panoramic view of the new (in 1963) Port Renfrew camp from the dry land sort
^^^ That was a first class camp from the looks of it. Even kept the trucks and crew buses under a roof. If I were born a few years sooner, I would have loved to live and work there.
I started there in 1976 so there had been a few changes by then but I certainly recognize it. Thanks very much for sharing those. And "camptramp", do we know each other? Must have crossed paths or at least know some people in common. I was tall, dark and good looking..............................well tall anyway. lol Skinny too. Take care
Born2clearcut Really good pictures of Renfrew Div. camp when it was being built it was refered to by the locals as "The Industrial Site . The office was moved over from Beach Camp the cook house ,rec. hall and 1 bunk house were moved down from the old Harris Cr. camp , 1 bunk house was moved over from Caycues at a later date . The rest were barged in, they came in two halfs and were previouly the construction camp from Crofton when the Pulp Mill was being built. It really was one of best camps on the coast. In your Grandfathers pictures is there a picture of a mobile A frame . It was custume built by Hayes ,was built on a frame with a rubber tire undercarrage it had steel A frame hanging over the front ,the winch and cab on the back guyline to hold up A frame attacted to the back . Must have had quite a bit of counter weight as it would take the weight of a loaded off highway logging truck ,right side stakes were tripped and mobile A frame would back up withload drop it on the ground then back up leaving room for next truck to pullin front of it. Yes "Surfer Joe weve cross paths a time or two.
I do recall seeing a couple pictures of the Mobile A frame , I'll see if I can dig them out
Hmmm, ok then, be coy. And thanks for sharing your memories about things BCFP related. I really appreciate them as I enjoyed my time with BCFP and knew a ton of good people back then. Fond memories except for when I got married and lived in Renfrew for a time. lol Crazy times. Take care.
camptramp; re your post #492. I think there have been posted a few pics of that unique mobile Hayes A-frame somewhere on this great site, but I am not sure / can't remember which thread. I got the book "Working in the Woods" bu Ken Drushka and there is a good pic of her in action. It seems to me it was running on 24 rubber tires.
Surfer Joe the handle suits you Dave you definatly know me, I hired on at Renfrew Sept. 79 ( for the 5th time ) I hauled the last load of logs on the 6-221 6-222 before they were retired off the log haul . And were reasiged to water tank duty. I drove the 6-232 for a couple of years. I drove the 6-284 brand new .
Le tourneau (same as posted in #488 ) working hard in the Renfrew sort 1964
Weird that I can't recall anyone ever using "surfer Joe" to describe me. And, although the surfing crowd all called me by the nickname Hump, nobody called me that at work. Having racked what remains of my brain I'm dismayed to confess I don't remember any of the truck driver's names from those days although I could certainly put faces to names if and when I heard them. Weird because obviously I did know their names at one time. I do recall the driver from Renfrew who always kept his truck immaculate compared to many others but I can't even remember his name for sure.(Don??) And 1979 was a very busy year as the company made their biggest net profit ever to date, at 98 million as I recall. We bought a few things for the shop and the company bought all kinds of things and made major investments all over too. Then came the 80's. Notwithstanding all of that and still not knowing who you are I'd like to offer many thanks for your memories and recollections regarding those BCFP days being shared here. Brings back lots of good memories.............just not many names. LOL Take care.
Dave H Dont you just love a mystery. A lot of woods gone over the brow log since BCFP got picked over by the vultures from down under . Funny I can still remmber walking over the Bear Cr. tresle when I was 6 years old but dont ask me where or what I was doing this time last year . I guess the hazy memory might be from whiskey the I use to consume in camp. Your right on it was Don Orza who use to hate pushing the lowbed and if he did , the next time he got near the shop he had the front bumper painted. When the 40-91 and 40-96 were brought over from Nanaimo Lakes Don grab the 40-91 I had just lost the 41-145 (6-284) inherited Dons old truck the 6-244. A couple days later,he desided it wasnt a great move as the 40-91 was under powered bald tires and the preload trailers were plain run down junk ,yours truly ended up with it. At the end of 1991 we shut down ,that winter Renfrew and Caycuse Div. became HBO with lots of trucks available the 2 two Pacific 40-91 40-96 were left parked for about a year .The 40-91 was the one first repowered new tires painted the fenders rebuilt a couple of trailers. Don was back in that truck in a flash .When Calvin Oliver and Mike Cross found out the whole story (they were from Caycse) they did the 40-96 next repowered it new tires then they went through every corner of the shop to get enough paint to paint the 40-96 from the front bumper to the tail frame ,it looked brand new and when I checked the manufacturer date it was the newest offhighway in the Div. Thanks again Calvin and Mike
Loving your stuff. Thank you.......................sincerely. Take care.
Custom built Hayes Aframe unloading a truck in 1963-64 at the Port Renfrew dryland sort . It must of been a pretty kool time in the logging industry, for people to come up with a idea or drawing and the company would let them start cutting and welding until they came up with something that worked . This is a VERY kool machine ,would have loved to see it in action .
Born2clearcut You came through again great pictures I worked on that machine for a day in late 1966 I was on the ground hooking the straps to L Hooks ,I think one of the stackers was broken down , by that time they had moth balled their mobile A frame and were using a Kenworth stacker to split the loads in two or three bites to unload the trucks . Youve got to remmber the Renfrew DLS if it was not the first DLS on the BC coast it ran a close second and there was some trial and error. I didnt realize that it picked the load up high enough to clear the stakes , mind you the stakes in those days were shorter. On the A frames over water you use one line to hold the spreader bar over the load while taking the weight by lifting on the other line ,trip the water side stakes , release the line holding the spreader bar. As the load swings out over the water you release the brake on the other line dumping the load in the water . I dont know when it happened but sometime in the late 60s it was dismanteled and shipped to Black Water camp at their Mackenzie Div. Later on its my under standing the winch part of it was brought back to the coast to pull bundles out of the water at Shoal Island DLS.
Born2clearcut Heres a tale for you .When that Aframe arrived at Renfrew the story goes that George Giberson the mastermechenic who probably desizned it was testing it out moving it around the yard . There was also a shop forman Morris Thomas who had a bad stutter watching ,as George was heading for the new hydro lines with his new Aframe Morris couldnt get word out as he tried warn George all he could do was through up his arms as George cleaned out the hydro lines.
camptramp; not much left but can you identify this HDX. It was on auction in 2008
Hayesno1 Dont know the no. but I think it was the line horse from Caycuse when Caycuse and Renfrew merged to be HBO in 1992 I can tell it was a preloader by the wings welded to the top side of the water tank to support the front bunk of a preload trailer, before it self loaded its own trailer. The muffler in the water tank ladder tells me it was converted from another engine to a V12-71 I know where all the old Renfrew truck are similar to this so I would guess it between the 6-212 and 6-221. HDX can probably fillin the banks.
Camptramp maybe you could identify this camp , all I know about the pictures is that they were developed on Oct 1964.
Born2clearcut Sorry I cant identify the camp , I know its not Renfrew Caycuse Pit lake or Malibu It looks like an established camp but by look at the the growth in surounding slash its only a few years old . could be a contractors camp acrss from Campbell River. On a second look it looks like the fuel truck on the barge is an old Shell truck with F C Henry on the tank F C Henry was the Shell dealer in Sooke , Mallock and Mosley were from the Sooke area ,were contracters for BCFP at Muir Cr. and Later moved in to the old Moore Witington holdings on Nitnat Lake are you sure about the date on the pictures , Im not positive but it seems to me Malloch took over Nitnat around 1968 or 1969 could those pictures be from around 1974 . Ill ask our friend Gordy Isacson , he and his father work for Malloch in most of their operations Gordy has a bunch of the Malloch family picture albums maybe he has more pictures of Nitnat Comp.
Ya pretty sure on the date . When the slides were developed the company that developed them stamps the date on outer cardboard of the slide . So I don't know when picture was taken , but I do know when they were developed .
Born2clearcut Im still thinking its Nitnat Lake as that was around the time your grandfather was transferred to Cowichan Div. looks like a west coast beach in front of the houses . Ill still get Gordy to have a look to night . Tried a return by e mail let me know if it came through.
Bornclearcut Do you have a copy of BCFP,s book of basic history up to 1975 titled First Growth I guess I was in a transition when it was handed out in 1975 or 76 but Ive got my fathers copy lots of good information in the back . Starts page 273 gives brief run down of start up in 1946 of major purchases and events .The last load of logs on the railroad was hauled from Bear Cr. to Beach Camp was hauled in 1957 .Moore-Whittington Lumber was purchased in 1963 . I remmber in the spring or summer of 1966 Les Valley joined the Renfrew staff as a woods forman, he had previeously been a woods forman at Nitinat for Moore- Whittington. Im thinking Nitinat was run by BCFP from 1963 to 1966 then shut down that was around the time your grandfather took over management of the Cowichan area.
Born2clearcut Just finished going through the M+B thread ,on a posting you mentioned some Macks from the St Lawrence Seaway .I had a chance to meet the late Frank Norrie a couple of years ago . During a breif conversation I learned Norrie Brothers Logging had also out to the coast some of thoughs St. Lawrence Seaway Machs and made logging trucks out of them.
camptramp, My dad was wondering if the 3 wheeled stacker in post #497 ended going to M+M's setup at Muir Creek after Renfrew? Thanks, Reg
RCP57 Thats a really good question . I dont kmow for sure which DLS opened first Muir Cr. or Renfrew and I cant say I spent a lot of time at at the Renfrew DLS site when it first opened . But I do know there was some trial and error getting it up and running. The land scape in that posting I'm certian is Renfrew DLS , but it was'nt there when I started working there in Feb. 1966 . That having been said I can remmber riding the school bus from Port Renfrew to Sooke in 1963 and seeing a similer stacker at the Muir Cr. DLS . I would say its the same one. Just for the record I beleive Butler Brothers were the original contractors at the time .They were contacting for Pacific Logging closer to Sooke and BCFP at the same time When Pacific increased the quota at Sooke they couldn't handle both so they gave up Muir Cr. Giving Malloch+Moesely a chance to enlarge to their company. But I don't know what year M+M took over Muir Cr.
Thanks for the reply. I have a picture of the one from Muir creek but I need to ask if I can share it first. Reg
When were kids we found a way to break into the hall without causing damage and go upstars to shoot pool on rainy days, if we heard someone come in we climbed out the window before they got the upstairs.
I remember that old Line Horse Truck from when I was a kid, my dad drove that beast a lot in Bear Creek Camp
When I was a kid in Bear Creek Camp my dad used to drive that Old Line Horse as it was called and you could hear that screaming jimmy coming for miles away.
When Bear Cr. was shut down the crew and equipment were moved to Harris Cr. as they had 2 Linehorses 1 was sold to the Tashis Co. Was that the one BCFP sold?
Not too sure but think so!!
Hayesno1 I was looking through page 2 posting #22 I'm wondering if that P16 could be the 6-259 the 6-257 6-258 were P16s and were conventionals with the lower cabs roofs and windshields and were new at Silver River .I know the 6-260 was a P16 with the higher roof and windshield and was a preloader as were the 6-263 6-264 they are all with IPL The 6-261 6-262 were P16 conventionals that are with Moore Logging I do'nt know of any other BCFP P16 off highway trucks unless they went to Elk River . Is there a chance the 6-259 was the first high wind shield P16 sent to Pit Lake ?
Trakloader I was just looking at posting #121 pictures 1, 2, 4, are at the Renfrew Div. DLS pictures 3, 5, are Caycuse Div. DLS Posting # 122 pictures 1, 2, are at Renfrew DLS picture 3, is Caycuse Posting #124 are all of Caycuse.
camptramp; you might be right that she is old #6-259. When I took pics of her way back in 2005 I could not find the old BCFP unit number. I'll have a few more pics of her. I will check and see if I have missed something.
Video of BCFP Log Truck #213 Caycuse Division Circa 1964 Hello Members, This is a 8mm home movie of my father George Taylor & family with BCFP Log Truck #213, Caycuse Division, circa 1964. [video][/video]
I can't seem to get your link to work Taylor57
Yes I know. Thanks. I wouldn't have attempted something I had never done before if I knew I wasn't allowed to edit my posts. I've contacted the forum and asked them to delete my post.
Taylor57 Old 213is still very much around!!! She is owned by Island Pacific Logging and was down in the Sarita area of operation till last year when she was taken down to the Chemainus shop and the owner and his son did a fantastic resto on her and brought her up to the 90th Anniversary of Hayes trucks last year here in Port Alberni She now resides down at the Chemainus shop /office complex on Smiley Road She looks like a million bucks and is a nice example of what trucks once were.Of the 12 original trucks there are still 5 running around 207 208 209 211 and 213 are still mobile and a couple we are trying to track down Cant wait to see the film clip!!! Welcome to the site.
Is that the old skidder parked along the mainline?
Fred Staverman died and I believe his contract reverted back to WFP. His camp was located on Anderson road which is on the right before heading down Muir Creek hill towards Jordan River. Have not heard of any logging activity since. Well over ten years ago.
That's amazing HDX! We lived in Caycuse from 1963 to 1973. The other trucks Dad drove were 209 and I believe 219, but 213 was my favorite because, as a pre-loader, the front stakes sticking up when the trailer was loaded onto the truck gave it a "mean" look to a kid. The movie is on my Facebook account and it may be my privacy settings that's not letting it work. I'll give it another try from Facebook using a different link and see what happens and if that fails I guess I'll have to upload the movie to YouTube (which I don't really want to do).
Video of BCFP Log Truck #213 Caycuse Division Circa 1964 This is a 8mm home movie of my father George Taylor & family with BCFP Log Truck #213, Caycuse Division, circa 1964. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=302946393099050&l=3117545898810480293
Great video! Have any more?
Thanks for posting
Thanks. I guess that means the video worked! No, that's the only movie I have.
You're welcome.
This is a 8mm home movie of my father George Taylor & family with BCFP Log Truck #213, Caycuse Division, circa 1964. That's me standing on the passenger side fender at the beginning of the movie and under the cab at the end. I'm 55 years old now. I wonder if anyone has a photo of what 213 looks like now restored?
Welcome aboard Taylor57, I will post some pics of her. I am looking forward to see your video. ;-)
Thank-you Hayesno1. The link for the video is on Post #530. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Great video - I just saw it. I couldn't see on my I-pad so I had to check it out on my laptop. I have posted pics of her before at this thread and at Hayes thread, but I think she deserves it
Here 3 pics of her in 2010 when she was parked at Sarita and then 2 pics when she went to the 90th Anniversary of Hayes trucks last year in Port Alberni.
Wow! Thank-you Hayesno1. She's a real "Show Truck" now! That's nice they went back to the old BCFP colour scheme (except for the white cab). Pardon my ignorance but is that tank for water or fuel?
For Water; she is a firetruck - #F141
Following are three books I feel are worthy of this site that were written by BCFP employ'es . The first one is First Growth the story of BCFP it was issued to the employ'es of BCFP in the mid 1970's I don't beleive they were sold to the puplic , I have my fathers copy. the second book is Still Counting The Rings by W.G.Burch is for sale at book stores.The third book Ken Hallberg An Autobiography may be availabile through famly members I beleive Ken Hallberg Jr. lives in Nanaimo
Taylor57 If you want to see old 207 208 209 back together for the first time all running around together Go to Hankstruckpictures website When you get to his home page click on "WEB PAGES UPDATED IN LAST 7 DAYS" scroll down to the" three sisters reunion" After looking at them then go down and check out Jim Falconers McLeans Mill 2013 pictures just below on the same page. We changed out the original Cummins NHRBS supercharged engine (spun main bearing) in 209 and installed another Cummins You can see in the pictures old 209 took her place at the head of the line once again LOL
HDX I was wondering about a couple Renfrew Trucks the 6-231 was a Caycuse truck but ended up it Renfrew in 1980 or 81 . When Ken Long went o/o and bought a highway truck in 1985 the 6-231 was sent to Narrows Inlet . In 1986 when BCFP brought 5 highway trucks to the Div.(6-280 6-281 6-282 6-283 6-284 ) the 6-237 6-238 6-239 left the Div. the 6-239 went to Elk River . I don't know where the other 2 went anybody know if these 4 trucks still exist
camptramp Somewhere I got pics of both 6-237 and 6-238, I know for a fact that 6-238 came through Franklin River on her way to R/B Auction,I took pictures of her in Camp "B" because she looked so out of place among the M&B trucks. She was bought by Kip Brown over in Powell River and that is where she was last seen by me. She looked like she was being used as parts for another truck I also took pictures of 6-249(40-126) Caycuse truck and 6-253 (40-137) Renfrew truck-- both classic BCFP Preload HDXs on their way to Port Machine Works in Port Alberni to have their rear 5th wheel assy's changed over before being sent to the QCIslands Sandspit maybe !!!! Trakloader posted some pics of them not long ago Sure sad to see them like that after what they once were I will scope out my pics and find old 6-237
Thanks HDX for the heads up on the "three sisters reunion". That's awesome that so much time and work is going into them. I got permission from Hank to post this pic of old 213 next to a pre-loader as a nice example of what 213 looked like when my Dad drove it at Caycuse in the '60's.
Taylor57 That is a nice picture! I know both those trucks very well actually. Hank is a really great guy and his site is dedicated to the preservation of trucking pictures from all over the world. He has over 400,000 truck pictures on there. One day we will have to remove the fire tank on the back of old 213 and sit a preload trailer on her just for pictures. We know that "FERIC" the forest industry experimental group had one of these trucks at one time back in the 80's. She was painted orange and had two of the biggest dump box's (roll on roll off) I have seen and was used to see what material could be reclaimed in a landing that was otherwise just burned. They would load them up with stumps etc and haul them down to the sarita dryland sort and dump them out on the deck and sort through the stuff. All this work to see if it was worthwhile salvaging this stuff !!!! Oh after they examined the stuff they burned it LOL However the truck remains missing and we hope she is still intact somewhere in some ones yard perhaps The two box's were sold to M&B and one was installed on an old HDX/P16 as a dryland sort truck, Later she was sold to Lamare Lake Logging and went to PtMcNeil the other box was sold to JW Berry in town here but never installed I think the turned it upside down and use it as a carport More on this subject later
HDX, very interesting stuff. I look forward to seeing photos of 213 with the preload trailer on her. Should bring back a memory or two.
camptramp Still trying to track down unit # of old line horse 40-117 She is not 6-221 because her new tanker # is 36-84 and she is down in Sarita Talked to Calvin Oliver and he thinks she was 6-220 Sounds about right What do you think. Been trying to get Lance but he is away.
HDX your right the 6-221 became a water truck at Renfrew Div. in 1981 I was hauling logs with it one day . When I went into work the next morning the trailer and bunk were gone and a water tank was on it , I moved over to the 6-222 also later changed over to a water tank . The last time I seen them they were owned by IPL at Masachie Lake I've seen pictuers of them at Sarita on this forum. The 6-222 was a preloader and has the longer tank on it . The 6-221 came from Caycuse I don't know how old the engine was then , it seemed to run O K but it really didn't have any power Andy and I would leave Renfrew together in the morning he would have the 6-222 I would have the 6-221 loaded for Caycuse he would be breaking over the summit on the Caycuse hook up road starting down the hill to Caycuse . I would be breaking over the Harris Cr. summit starting down TR. 7, he would be three quarters of an hour ahead of me. Its probably the same engine in it. I'm not sure about which # the line horse was ,but I don't think it had been a line horse long when HBO was created and I think the 6-220 and the 6-221 were similer trucks it must have been a pretty good truck as the 6-224 was Renfrews line horse and I know it was a good truck when it was sent to Nanaimo Lakes as the surplace line horse .
Busy landing in 1976 Skagit tower the number looks like S53 had to tell . The loader looks like a Northwest , number on the side looks like #14 or L4 again hard to make out the numbers. The logging truck backing in has a self loading trailer .The pictures were taken in 1976 so this may be Caycuse area , Camptramp may have so more info
Born2clearcut The picture was taken at Renfrew Div. I don't know which truck it is . But the loader is the #74 an 80D Northwest I know the loader well its a one of a kind I ran from Fall 1972 to spring 1975 . The yarder is the #663 a 120 ft. slackline Skajit telescoping tower with a Tyee winch. I spent many a day landingman with that tower Sid "Skidder" Smith was running it . One time we were up on top of Garbage Cr. yarding out of a glory hole Reg Beal was pulling rigging Stan Woods and Chuck Marrow were setting chockers. These guys were good loggers but they got most of the tough settings . One day they decided they had , enough so they had their own wild cat strike . They came up the hill mid afternoon , the woods foreman came up to the side but no solution was found . The next morning the manager the assisten manager the woods foreman had a meeting with the boys down the road . after an hour or so I guess they sorted things out . when they came up to the yarder to go back to work we couldn't find Sid . We blew acouple long whistles afew minutes later Sid came over the hill with a hard hat full of Blue Berries hollering keep the strike going boys I just found a good patch of Blue Berries!
BCFP Caycuse Division Log Truck 6-230 BCFP Caycuse Division Log Truck 6-230 sn 9033647. I was given permission to post these photos by Doris Mutch of her Dad Ken McKechnie's truck 6-230. First 2 pics are from circa 1969 when it was nearly new. Photos 3 & 4 is a little later with the engine covers removed. Photo 5 is of 3 Caycuse truck drivers in 1969: George Taylor (my father & driver of trucks 213, 209 & 219), John Sawatsky, & Ken McKechnie (driver of trucks 211 & 6-230).
I remember Doris and Ken McKechnie Doris had the pleasure of baby sitting me when i was a kid in caycuse
HaHa. She babysat me too when I was a kid!
Confirmed picture is Moore Whitingtons old camp on Nitinat Lake around the time BCFP took it over
Good work Camptramp
Tony Weber's last truck the 6-260 was the last truck that I know of painted BCFP colours after Fletcher Challenger took over , picture was taken on Lower Gordon River bridge just before he retired.
Pictures of Harris Cr. camp probably in of Hemmingston & Cameron days
Awesome picture
Early pictures of #95 Washington TL15 track loader new to BCFP Harris Cr. camp early 50's
I got these B&W photos from our old ,great and late friend Roy Johnson . He was a great logger great friend to all , he should have writen a book of the tales he entertained us with. one was how he was running a loading pot with Raymond" Jumbo" Jones head loading use to build loads high enough to take the telephone wires out between the shop and the dispatch shack across the haul road on top of the truck sheds. They raised the wires up a foot they built the loads a little higher. the shop crew finally clued in after several repairs and raised the wires ten feet.
BCFP Renfrew the #690 View Spar having a bad day
BCFP Renfrew Div. Top of G arbage Cr. summer 1967 Yarder #717 Berger Tower Loader #71 Northwest note old style preloader trailer sitting Oly Virtanon -loader Pavlow Postie-hooker also Renfrews last Skidder Forman Jim Weir- yarder Jim Edwards-rigging slinger
Renfrew Div. Hemmingston Cr. summer 1967 #762 # 1 slackline 120 ft. Skajit tower #74 Northwest loader Yours truly on the mean end of the chocker
Renfrew Div. Looking down the San Juan valley from Lens Cr. winter 1967-68 #717 tower #71 loader Yours truly on the wrong end of the mainline
Renfrew Div. late 60's Dredging Harrisons booming grounds at low tide South arm of San Juan R.
renfrew Div. fall 1967 Slash fire got away spur 19 area slip on tank on 6-190 long tom water tanker being towed by 6-203 or 6-212 empty truck used to push long toms up to fire 6-206
Renfrew Div. 1980 Hemmingston Cr. 4000 6-221 being loaded by a 988 Cat ,hi Dave H.
Renfrew Div. Braden 2000 spring 1971 #79 Northwest loader #665 Skajit yarder
Renfrew Div. 1982 Pandora area #6-222 loader #16-14 American 500 on rubber Bucker Don Green yours truly on cab guard.
HOLY COW Why is she so side heavy !!! OH I just saw what was up on top of the deck boards LOL
HDX It got laid over on its side before I got it .the frames got a little bend in it ,always looks alittle side heavy with a decent load on it . Ckeck it out its got the long water tank on it at Sarita.
Barge load of equipement at Renfrew Div. 1980 . New Pacific preload trailers #318 a Washington Track Loader originally from Pit Lake moved to Nekite R. reasigned to Renfrew Div. new 988 Cat stacker
Renfrew Div. Western Star is **** Evan's who held the gravel hauling contract Internaional is Fred Isacson's #91 Northwest grade shovel
camptramp; Great Pictures. Thank you for sharing. Here are 2 old BCFP Hayes HDX trucks. 1st. pic is old #215 from 1960 sn#0012116. It's a HDX 32-80 model. Next 4 pics shows 1963 Hayes HDX line truck sn#3052466. These Pictures were taken in 2005. In 2010 it was all most scrapped. I don't know her BCFP unit no. Maybe camptramp can ad some information.
Any idea why they boomed down so far they broke the pole?
Born2clearcut The snorkel got broke because the fellow that was unloading it off barge wasn't famillar with the machine , he raised the boom and as the Washington's have live booms he didn't know how to dog it . He didn't react quick enough when he let the friction go to catch it before the snorkel got broke. He had lots of expirence but not on that machine.
Hayesno1 The line horse was 6-224 Sure sad to see her end her days like that!!
Hayesno1 I guess all us old Timber Beasts remember when Industry kept up the roads hauled logs down hill and maintianed their equipment and most of the crew did the same . The 6-224 was new in 63 or 64 following is a picture of the 6-224 as a logging truck in 1973 or 74 it was retired off the log haul in 1981 and reborn as the Renfrew Div. line horse. It was still in good shape when it left HBO in 1992. Sad to see it run into the ground
Renfrew Div. 1980 Loader #16-14 American ,Yarder #27-10 Madill Pandora area , Truck #14 Ron Peters Trucking . Ron Peters was a real character he didn't take crap from anybody . We were pulling loads up the Gordon R. M/L its adverse grade from Renfrew to the Gordon R. summit. In the early 80's the sake cutters were going over new growth areas like ants on an ant hill they all seemed to leave town the same time we headed to the dump with our first load . For about a week one guy met Ron on the same stretch of road ,forcing Ron to almost stop . To say Ron was annoyed would be an under statment .One morning the guy gave Ron enough room to pass with out slowing down.Knowing his trailer bunk was 4inches wider than his truck bunk he missed with the truck ,as the trailer when by there was aflash of chrome , he took the guy's mirror off his door.
Renfrew Div. Yarder #27-23 Madill ,Loader #16-23 Northwest on Madill carrier Truck #6-229 Granite Cr.
BCFP Renfrew Div. Ladies Day 1973
Renfrew Div. 1973 #797 Skajit 120 ft. tower with IJ80 winch on tank under carrage # 79 Model 6 Northwest
Renfrew Div. 6-237 Hayes preloader
Nekite R. 1975 I think the first logging truck is the 6-247 with the 6-254 following. Pickup verse's 6-247 logging truck pickup lost.
Renfrew Div. 1973 or 74 6-243 had loader #505 an American 7220 on lowbed, hit corner to fast lowbed leaned over king pin pulled out of fith wheel table , table exploded when the dust settled the lowbed was still tied to the loader, standing on edge . didn't even break the snorkle
You have some amazing photos! I'm so very glad you are posting them and have the stories to go with each one!
I'll second that. Many thanks to camptramp and all the other seasoned veterans who share their photos and history. Full steam ahead.
Some great photos thanks for taking time to post them here for us to view. After the truck driver ( that lost the snorkel boom) cleaned his shorts get fired?
Thanks HDX and camptramp for information and pic of old #224. Sadly this is how she looked last time when I saw her. For sure she looked great when she was converted to a line horse in 1982 - bright colours.
Camptramp See the front bumper on her It looks mirror image to the front bumper on the 40-117 old line horse. These were not the front bumpers they came with they have been altered (welded over with flat plate steel) Do you think there's an outside chance that 40-117 was really 6-225 and sent over to Caycuse or Renfrew for a line horse to replace the then aging 6-209???? Just a shot here !!!
HDX No the 6-225 was moved over to Nanimo Lakes around 1991 it was reinvented as a sand truck after it was retired off the log haul in about the end of 1982 .Actually the sander on the 6-225 was taken off the 6-208 ,which was then made into a full time water truck . It was always a sore spot with us the 6-223 and the 6-225 were both sand trucks . But because the 6-223 had a new rearend in it ,it was kept at Renfrew while our best sander went to Nanaimo Lakes . The guy that did the paper work never spent any time in the trucks and won't listen to our point of veiw.
HDX The 6-209 was brought over from Caycuse to Renfrew in the early 1970's the Renfrew line horse was on the 6-190 at that time , it was placed on the 6-209 around the same time the 6-208 showed up at Renfrew as a sand truck. Just to go back a bit the 6-188 was the line horse in 1966. So the order of line horse was 6-188 6-190 6-209 6-224 at Renfrew Div.
HDX Just a thought George Giberson was the Master Mechanic at Renfrew until the late 1960's at which time he was transferred to Caycuse ,it might be one of his ideas he took with him.( the bumper)
OK Camptramp That makes sense Bumpers were always a good way of remembering a truck. The 6-258 was a poster truck for the Pacific Truck and Trailer company and as fate would have it-- her front bumper was also reworked late in her careerYou can still see the original underneath all the welding
Camptramp the above picture with the two HDX's--- I think you told me that 6-211 went to Nekite could it have been her in front of 6-254 Its the front end profile that gives her away Needle nose HDX's What a piece of history
HDX Yes it could be the 6-211 as they were both yellow at that time.
More ladies day 1973
Renfrew Div. ladies day 1973 veiw up stream and down stream off Gordon R. bridge.
Renfrew Div. 6-260 crossing Gordon R. bridge from Renfrew end heading for Gordon R. camp . The bridge is high and long . When the bridge was first built logs were hauled from the Grierson Pandora areas to Renfrew DLS . I loaded my last load of the day in 1973 or 74 on the 6-244 then driven by Tony Weber with the #74 log loader .The crew left ahead of him,when he approched the Gordon R. bridge from the end I took this picture, there is a corner .As he entered the corner a tapered ball on the steering broke ,his left steering tire hit a shear log placed at the approch of bridge's guard, for that very reason, and steered the truck and part load on to bridge before he got it stopped. Who needs to go bunngy jumping for thrills!
Renfrew Div. Early summer 1980 the 6-264 brand new out side the tire service shop. Note Grapple Yarder cab in back ground.
c/w AIR STARTER DO YOU KNOW WHAT BECAME OF HER????
Renfrew Div. Early summer 1980 We have a new truck , lets build the 27-28 Grapple Yarder
You have some fantastic pictures! I wish you could post them bigger on this forum. Thanks for continuing to share! Reg
Check out the back ground all kinds of intresting things can you find the Bear trap
Super Bill Hanna with the red vest shows Stu Smith with the tin lid ,the proud operator of the new #27-28 how to deal with wire rope.
Renfrew Div. Early summer 1980 Lets hook the new #6-264 P16 Pacific to the lowbed and haul the new #27-28 Grapple Yarder out to the woods to yard its first log.
HDX The #6-264 came with a K series Cummins I vaguely remember an air start ,they might have had some grief with it and put in electric start. I remember when all was said and done they weren't impressed with the K series it was later replaced with a Cummins triple 444.
Renfrew Div. New machines arrive old machines leave after about 29 years and having been reinvented several times the #95 a TL 15 Washington Trakloader leaves the Div. with the #799 Skajit Grapple Yarder of late 1960's vintage on the barge to town I think they got their money's worth out of the #95 .
You talking about the KT450? I never heard much either way about them, since we seldom saw that kind of horsepower in a highway truck back then in North Carolina. Around here, the 444 did not have a good rep. I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that it worked out well up your way.
Renfrew Div. Bill Neil's # 16 a 849 Kenworth loaded off spur 14 on to the Harris Cr. M/L Bill Neil was a one of a kind I don't know how old Bill was when he hit Renfrew in 1980 but I he was collecting his OAP . He would drive all week ,then pull Wrenchs most of the week end . It almost broke his heart when the company told him that the company emploies retired at 65 and that he should do the same and hire a driver.
Renfrew Div. 1981 or 82 Bill Neils #16 a 849 Kenworth and #18 an HDX Hayes parked at Port Renfrew
Renfrew Div. 1983 or 84 Bill Neils #18 an HDX Hayes loaded across the bridge at the bottom of Tr.11 heading for the Gordon R. M/L driver Carl Carlson
Its a long time ago and I didn't drive the truck . But they put I beleive a K series in both the #6-264 and the #27-28 the engine in the grapple yarder seemed to work out okay but the driver of the #6-264 didn't seem to happy with it in the truck . I can't remember the HP , But the truck was originaly ment to pull trains ( two off highway loads )from the bottom of Tr11 30 kms to Honeymoon Bay . It also had the heavy Rockwell rearends . The engine was replaced in due time I think it was a Triple 444 but I could be wrong but it definatly had muscle I spent alot of time behind it pushing it with another P16 Pacific with a twin turbo V12-71 when Tom Worth was using it as the lowbed truck , It didn't take us long to get a Madill or 7280 Cypress grapple yarder fron A to B
Truck #212 seems to be the lowbed truck of the time early 60's . Not sure what machine this is . Maybe Camptramp could tell us what machine is on the lowbed and what bridge this maybe .
Three photos of my Uncle Mal Taylor driving for BCFP Renfrew Division in about 1953. First is him by an old Hayes. I believe this is the truck he wrecked. See the thread "and they walked away" for photos of the wreck. Second pic is of a Renfrew Division Speeder. He's on the right with a couple of Buddies. Third pic is taken the same day as the second and shows him in the center by a San Juan Division Kenworth. I have a couple more pics of him driving an old BS & W truck. I'm pretty sure they were taken on the Island but don't know what thread to post them. I know it's off topic but can anyone tell me anything about BS & W?
If you know the pictures were taken on V.Island Taylor57 you can post in this thread HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks for the link Born2clearcut. I'm 99% sure it was a Vancouver Island company so I think I will post them there.
Born2clearcut The #203 and #212 were the two trucks used for lowbeding at Harris Cr. through the 1950's into the 1960's Tony Weber drove the #212 and Don Wilson drove the #203 both trucks were powered by V8 Cummins engines ,they still did a lot of lowbeding after the #222 #223 #225 arrived. When the #6-232 arrived in 1969 with a V12-71 Detroit and the #222 #223 #224 #225 which originally had V8 Cummins in them ,were converted to V12-71's ,the #203 and #212 were know longer used as lowbed trucks . The picture of the #212 with the Skidder on the lowbed , looks to be crossing the Three Rivers Thresle on the old Bear Cr. to Beach Camp rail grade. As I dont recall any Skidder setting on the Renfrew side of Three Rivers I would asume its on its way to Harris Cr. for a new sled in the late 1950's.
Taylor57; Bloedel, Stewart and Welch oprerated on Vancouver Island. They had a lage fleet of steam engineering etc. I think they had some Sterling trucks after WWII.
Thank-you Hayesno1. I posted the photos on the Vancouver Island thread and HDX posted some very interesting info on them. You are correct about the trucks as the truck my Uncle is standing beside is indeed a Sterling.
Taylor57 The #123 speeder I beleive was originally at Harris Cr. camp then moved over to the Bear Cr. camp after the rail road was pulled up on the Harris Cr. side . I can remember playing on it after the rail road on the Bear Cr. side was shut down before the scrap dealer tore up the tracks. Somewheres alone the line I was told when they started truck logging at Bear Cr. and Harris Cr. from the woods to the truck to rail car reloads . Bear Cr. had Kenworths and Harris Cr. had Hayes.
Thank-you camptramp. If I've understood this information correctly the last 2 photos were taken at Bear Creek Camp. I do remember my father speaking of Bear Creek when I was a kid. Does the year 1953 sound about right to you?
Taylore57 Yes the rail road tracks were tore up on the Harris Cr. side late 1953 or early 1954 The rail road tracks from Bear Cr. were shut down 1957 and tore up 1958.
Taylor57 The picture of the KW will have the name of the camp painted on the door It will have British Columbia Forest Products then the camp and under that will be the unit number. I cant make out what it says on there but its there
HDX, it says San Juan Logging Division. Truck number is 183.
You my friend are on fire Well Done!!!! This division on the door thing was deleted in 1952 by BCFP There was a couple trucks from Glendale Cove Division that were sent to Vancouver Bay after they shut it down and they retained the Glendale Cove Division on their doors even though they were now Van Bay trucks. I was told that time erased it though!
So this still could have been at Bear Creek Camp with the truck retaining it's older division designation?
Glendale Cove Div. Interesting story. The was a good sized shop left behind at Glendale Cone. From what I can recall the shop was big enough to drive an HDX into and was kind of a typical post and beam style. They decided in the mid 90's that they had to get rid of it so they flew in some people to get rid of it. (I won't name anyone) They took in a power saw drill and some sticks of powder. They drilled holes about 4ft off the ground in the upright posts, put in sticks of powder and let it rip. When they went back the shop was still standing in perfect order but it was just 4 ft shorter. They had enough powder to try it again so they repeated the process and let it rip again. The shop was now 8 ft shorter and to walk into the high bay doors you had to duck your head. But the shop was still standing just as it had been, just shorter. I don't know how they finally got rid of it but I think it's gone now. I only saw it after it was shortened. I do remember telling Blair McLean who owned the Hoeya Hilton at the time to get a hold of BCFP and offer to dismantle it for the lumber to use at his lodge which was in Glendale by this time. He sold out shortly after that and I don't think he followed up on it.
When BCFP was formed in 1946 they purchaced several timber holdings that included Hemmingsen-Cameron Ltd which was the log dump on the North arm of the San Juan R. and logging camp at Harris Cr. The Malahat Logging Co. with a logging camp at Bear Cr. and the San Juan Lumber Co. with log dump at the mouth of the South arm of the San Juan R. I'm just guessing but these two operations were probably known as San Juan Logging Division before it was called Renfrew Div.
Sorry about the finish on photos there faded and I lost the negatives long a go. BCFP Malibu Div. Jervis Inlet 1977 if one thinks back to all the camps one has worked in ,Malibu would be my favorite. A float camp the small shelter that they called a shop was built on the first switch back then the M/L just kept going up 14 switch backs and a turn around to somewheres around 3500 to 4000 ft. Several of the crew were homeguards from when BCFP bought up Northern Cedar on Drury Inlet. Good guys and real characters. I flew into Malibu on the AM of Sept. 14 1976 when I left town I told my wife it would only be for a couple weeks ,six weeks at the most as the camp logged at a high elevation. Malibu was a six day camp we did service work or running repairs on sunday AM . So usually it was a six and a haft day week .We were washed out one day betwen Sept. 14 and when I flew out on Nov. 28. I was met by the super John Olsen when I got off the plane ,he asked me if I was ready to go to work ? I replied yes ,he said throw your stuff in the bunk house and you can take over the yarder from the relief operator after lunch. My shift had started.
Malibu Div. 1977 One of the coolest guys in camp was a fellow, George Gallagher, he was no kid and prbably nearretirement,he could weld pull wrenches drive logging truck ,run grader front end loader gravel truck and I don't know what else .He never worked on Sundays . He had a wife and home in the Frazer Valley but chose to stay in camp all season . At the end of the season he would go to town for two weeks . Come back to camp and camp watch for the Winter . When the camp opened up in the Spring he would go to town for two weeks then head back to camp for the season . One time his wife phoned camp pleading for him to send her some money as hers had run out early that month . George went back to his room and shuffled through a drawer by his bed then headed for the time keepers office . Ray make me up a 300.00 drag the wifes out of money. Why don't you send her one of those cheques in your drawer? None of them are small enough, says George.
Malibu Div. 1977 What a welcome sight after a tough day on the hillside. Malibu being a float camp had its advanages. The Tyee pilot always seem to make his Malibu stop around lunch time . Gordy the cook always had something on the stove for lunch for the pilot . Gordy also liked to sip on a glass of Rye after dinner was served . The pilot would always take care of Gordy by bring him a bottle of Rye when ever required. As the cook houes was right by the plane float , if one had a letter to send home , you would put in the cook house window and the pilot's would take them to town and mail them. The pilot also offered another service to the crew. If you make out a list of your needs from the liquor store, placed in an envelope with adequate funds which included taxi fare and a dollar an item for freight placed it in an envelope addressed to Tyee Pilot and placed in the cook house window with out going mail . The needs were filled on the next plane by. It always amazed me that there were always more letters addressed to the Tyee Pilot than to town.
Malibu Div. 1977 Up in the nose bleed section our tail blocks were almost at the timber line on the high side on one setting there was a hanging valley behind us with a meadow in it . We use to watch Mountian goats on the rock faces above it and watch a sow Bear and her cub , make her rounds through the meadow in search of food . The timber was all hemloch bas lsom and yellow cedar ,was very brittle up end a turn to hard pulling into a hang up and all you had was a bunch of chunks.
Malibu 1977 #27-13 Madill 009 yarder on rubber tire carrier , Lorain hydrualic loader on top of the mountain
Malibu 1977 Walter" Dutchy" Scholts # 16-22 Lorain loader, loading the #6-245 or #6-246 HDX Hayes logging truck . When I was at Nekite R. in 1975 there was a fellow , who had lots of highway truck miles had hired out to Nekite to drive an off highway rock truck .He got broke in driving logging truck ,he was driving the #6-254 HDX Hayes .Nekite R. is valley bottom they didn't even bother filling their water tanks . This fellow on the spur of the moment quit, caught the schede to town . After a fling in town he hired out as an expirenced log truck driver , he got sent out to Malibu . He'd never seen a real switch back or a good water hill . The crew said after taking the truck up the hill he had the good sense to ride down the 14 switch backs and turn around in a pickup.
Malibu 1977 After travelling down the steepest and longest hill on the Malibu haul road in less than a thousand feet the road enters a turn around.After truning around the #6-246 HDX Hayes will pull out of the turn around and drop down the next five switch backs to a parbuckle dump. The senior driver when I first got there was Louie while in town he bought a B.C. lottery Expreess ticket and won the $50,000 prize a lot of money in thoughs days . John Olson the super gave Louie ten days off to go to town to collect his prize . While in town he helped his son out with his morgage bought a new Ford T Bird and got himself a new girlfriend . He came back to camp , a week later he couldn't get hold of his new girl friend with his new T Bird . He wanted time off to go find his new T Bird ,Olson said no so he quit .Moral of story don't leave your new car with your new girl friend when you head back to camp .
Malibu Div. 1977 Leaving the landing , hitting the dump.
Renfrew Div. 1982 Here you go BCFP VET the offical potos BCFP pulled all the equipment into Renfrew shop area late summer 1982 for along shut down note buckets on exaughst stacks and air cleaners . Truck drivers and DLS crew returned in Fall to clean out DLS . The DLS equipment would be at Honeymoon Bay when we opened up in 1983 we would still use the shop for awhile . But the Renfrew camp was closing down . While cleaning out the DLS I hauled the last load of logs with the #6-222 the next time I would put a trailer on the #6-222 would be in 1983 or 84 when I took an old preload trailer from Gordon R. shop to pick up the laminated beams for the over head crane in the then being dismantaled Renfrew shop Jim Peterson from Lake Cowichan loaded them on board . The #6-222 made its last trip with a logging trailer to Goron R. where the trailer with the beams was stored for future use. Surfer can fine tune the shut down dates better than I.
Renfrew Div. EBAP program Winter 1982 -83
Great pics Al sure brings back a lot of good old memories.
Nekite R. 1978 #502 Madill 009 steel tower on tracks . Nekite R. had two Madill 009 yarders the last time I raised the old girl both towers were moving on the same day. As both sides were short handed it was desided that our rigging crew would join the other crew and raise the new tower first and that the hooker and I would go to our tower grease up and notch the stumps . I greased the fairleads and guyline sheaves then prcceeded to carry the Tommy Moore block out to the front quarter the hooker was notching went back to the yarder pulled out the strawline.Back to the yarder raised the tower with the ram sent the first guyline out to stump the hooker hung the guyline sent the Tommy Moore in on the strawline . We just kept going until we had 5 guylines out and finished standing the tower up about that time the woods foreman came to check on us . He took one look and left muttering something about the other crew hadn't got their tower out of the saddle yet!
Nekite Div. 1978 The business end of the Butt rigging
Nekite R. 1978 Nekite R. shop and yard yellow and black Mack is Port Hardy Bulldozing .The 7220 American is the #16-4 it started out as a loader then was made into a grapple yarder , ended up at Renfrew Div. when Nekite shut down
Renfrew Div. winter 1977 78 Lens Cr. #16-23 Northwest log loader on Madill rubber tire under carriage , can't remember Madill grapple yarder no. but its the that got pulled over in 1981. Its also on a rubber tire carrier scared me just watching it move on a hill or switch back.
Nekite R. 1979 American 5270 or is it 5720? log loader
Nekite R. 1979 Here you go HDX the #6-211 #6-214 and #6-247 at Nekite R. note the trailer on #6-211
Nekite R. !979 My first load driving the #6-247 , loader by Dave Anderson with the #318 a Washington TL6 Trak Loader originally from Pit Lake Div.
Renfrew Div. 1981 or 82 Some bodies having a bad day ,might need a new welding truck
Nekite R. 1979 #221 WHD Hayes An ex Cattermole Trethewey truck, if it looks like its had a tough life your right . It started out with an old trailer and needn't get any better . Before it got to Nekite it was wrecked at Narrows Inlet ,sent to Pit Lake as a spare truck . When it left Pit Lake they put all the rags they could for tires ,that would get it on the barge . The roof was pushed down the back of the cab pushed in , you had to roll the drivers window down ,as it was plexie glass and you couldn't see through it rolled up. The front end was a little loose lots of play in the steering wheel. Picture taken in down town Nekite and at the parbuckle dump.
6-211 with her new cab Looking really good 6-214 was the last Hayes built with the clipper style cab BCFP wanted those style when the newer HD/HDX cab was available Kind of a "Comfort" cab I guess God these are great pictures Al Keep it up
Nice-looking '65 or '66 F-250 in post #652. Excellent photos, sir. Thanks VERY much for sharing them.
The Ford pickup is a 1966 F100 Heavy haft ton had 352 cu. in. v8 3 on the tree positrack rear end.
Renfrew Div. #797 Skajit 120 ft. with IJ80 winch on tank under carriage . That machine had pulling power when you went ahead on a heavy turn , it was heading for the landing or something was going to break ,Stu Smith knew when to use the power and when to back off.
Renfrew Div. #6-236 Hayes HDX preloader almost new Don Wilson on the running board
Renfrew Div. #74 Northwest Model 80D log loader
Renfrew Div. #74 log loader # 762 120ft. Skajit Slackline tower on a Winter morning
Nekite R. 1979 First you catch the barge that got away ,then load the building heading for a new home.
Nekite R. 1979 A veiw from camp on a nice day
Renfrew Div. Bill Neil's Kenworth
Camptramp I was up in the Nekite three weeks ago fishing, has grown up really nice, the Grizzly's are big there to.
075 I'm not a fisher man or hunter but threre were lots of Grizzly's in the area and lots of fish in the creeks , ever run into "EJ" Norris in your travels ,he use to run Grapple Yarder spent lots time fishing . They use to have a Rec Hall that sold beer by the bottle on Wednesday nights , by the case on Saturday nights . The empties were collected and placed on a pallet to be sent back to town behind the Rec Hall .A Grizzly started to hang around camp ,I guess he could smell something good in the bottles and tried to find it . There were bottles scattered around as far as that bear could bat them.
Barge being towed into the north arm of the San Juan R.with the #717 Berger Tower it looks brand new (the tower is new the winch is ancient paint does wonders) the tug towing is the Renfrew Prince . The Renfrew Prince use to work the North arm of the San Juan the Pacheena Prince use to work the South arm of the San Juan until the Rail Road from Bear Cr. was shut down. Al may have some extra info. Picture 5 is the Pacheena Prince
Born2clearcut Its the #717 for sure,I can remember the Renfrew Prince being shipped out on a flat car on the rail road , must have been just before the rail road shut down . The third picture shows the #717 at the end of the old deerings bridge if your crossing the new bridge (that now needs replacing ) you can still see the remains of the old bridge up stream. The pick up in the picture is a 1958 or 59 Dodge or Fargo so that makes the #717 around 1959 or 60 . The picture of the Pacheena Prince in a winter scene would be around 56 to 58 , I can remember a winter with enough snow they used a Cat to plow the roads in Beach Camp ,and those with ice skates were skating on Lizard Lake . The picture of the Pacheena Prince getting its hull copper painted is probably up the south arm of the San Juan R. at the old winter dump for the R.R. where the shake mill was more recentley. The pacheena Prince was around Renfrew until the mid 1960's when it was replaced by the Formast.
Renfrew Div. 1979 80 #16-14 American loader and Madill tower , Note the Madill on lowbed mount ,the tank carriers were very stable ,the ones on rubber weren't to bad , the ones on a lowbed mount were ones you might handle with kid gloves. I'm thinking the guy that ordered it never raised it . Remember the good old days when we had crummy's with lots of room!
Renfrew Div. Does this bring back fond memories Y&L Wench the Renfrew shop 2 off highway logging trucks could be parked cross ways at far end . A Cat or logging truck length wise in the center then a log loader behined it ,be able to close the doors then park a steel tower under the outside crane way ,with an over head crane able to traveling the length of it, capable of picking up the front end of a Lima Shay Locie.
Thanks for the info on the tugs camptramp .. I remember those 9 man bunny buses (crew truck ) alot of shenanigans went on in those things
Renfrew Div. Truck sheds at Port Renfrew ,we didn't know how good we had it . Trucks parked under a roof at night or through shut downs even older trucks retired from log haul duties had a sheltered life . Never a damp mouldy cab plugged into a block heater , a mechanic that went around in the morning before the drivers starting time . Checked oil ,topped up if nesesary, started engine ,turned on heater on cold winter days . The good old days we were living and didn't realize it. Now when someone asks me how it going , my standered answer IS TO HELL IN A HURRY! An old grade forman Rollin Baird had a favorate saying " She Aint Exactly Chicken ****, Around But Shes Acquiring A Lot Of Hen House Ways"
Renfrew Div. Hayes HDX preloader loading its trailer in the morning . The 2 double doors to the left are the truck shop doors.
camptramp Old 6-247 is for sale again!! Has a low bed on her back Forest tech web site She surfaced back some time ago. Scope her out on the Hayes Truck thread posting 763 Also check out 6-249 and 6-253 as they look now up in the QC Islands. Both these trucks had their 5h wheels changed here in Port Alberni before being sent up to the QC Islands I never thought that a truck could be so modified from its original configuration but there they are
Renfrew Div. A&L Trucking was the hauling contractor for Fiddick Logging a logging contractor at Renfrew in TFL46 .Note the Renfrew camp dispatch shack and trailrt reload . the green International #4 was driven by Pete Sparks ,it smoked so bad , if you were in the surrounding area and cold see camp, you cold tell when Pete left camp empty.
The top picture taken in the shed That sure looks like 6-238!!!!!! Cant see a number on her but for sure its her LOL
HDX your right see the squiare tubing guard over winch thats the #6-236
The Mack beside the International looks like an R Model. I don't recall seeing a single R Model in any of the other photos posted on this site.
6-238 in camp B and last two pictures are 6-238 over in Powell River.
camptramp These are the pics I took of her on the way to the auction. She was bought by Kip Brown over in Powell River The last two pics were as she was being taken apart. I could not find the trailer just the truck and next time I went over she was nowhere around What a shame to see such a beautiful truck just cut up or parted out I only hope she was spared that fate and was sold to somebody else.
Vigilant The Mack was kind of an odd ball don't know why A&L trucking bought a Mack , but he bought it around 1980 , the go thing about it was our friend Bob Melvin moved over from Powel R. to drive it . Ted Shaw at Sooke loved Mack's and had 3 or 4 of them in the early mid 70's.
HDX The truck in the truck shed is the #6-236 Jack Mowat used to drive the #6-238 he was on the short side thats probably the reason for the third step . he had quite a sense of humor one day when he was getting loaded John,s voice came over the radio " Pete I'll wipe that cup of tea off the ceiling and try again"
Renfrew Div. HDX Found a picture of the #6-237 you can see that guard over the winch I guess they did all three (6-236 6-237 6-238 ) the same .The tower is the #663 a Skajit tower with a Tyee slack line winch. The loader is the #71 a Northwest.
Renfrew Div. HDX heres one of the #6-236 being loaded by a Cat 988
Renfrew Div. Some loaders yarders caught parked in camp . The #319 a TL15 Washington Trak Loader originaly a loader set up for yarding . The #799 Skajit grapple yarder the first grappje yarder at Renfrew. The #73 a Northwest Model 6 loader . The #73 was run by Gordy Buck, Ace loader and took good care of the old NW . Gordy had some great tales to tell .He was a former employ of the Hillcrest Lumber Co. on one longer winter shut down the Hillcrest Co. offered some of their key logging workers jobs in their saw mill to help them over the shut down . Reluctantly Gordy took a job on the green chain . I guess no one told the shift forman what was going on , he came around watched Gordy for awhile , then pointed out to Gordy the guy that was there yesterday could pull twice as much lumber off the green gang . Gordy promptly told the forman to get him back grabbed his lunch kit and headed for home.
yes camptramp It is 236 As we talked about--- it was the step and the brushguard that was not right Another one solved!!! I just wonder if in fact old 6-238 still remains over there in a bone yard somewhere Maybe 69Hayes will stumble across her somewhere
I will keep my eyes peeled
I knew we could count on you Thanks 69Hayes
Renfrew Div. Waganer unloading truck Renfrew DLS 988 Cat sorting logs Renfrew DLS Booming grounds Renfrew
Renfrew Div. #6-209 as a line horse at Renfrew yard #6-208 as a sand truck on Brayden M/L early 1980
Renfrew Div. Early summer 1980 operational fire #6-208 is water tanker with red tank, #6-237 is towing long tom water tanker.
Renfrew Div. Operational fire early summer 1980 Hemmingsten 2000 yarder #797 loader #16-14 . When the Martin Mars arrives its like the Cavalry coming over the hill . If you've ever been on a fire line and watched the Martin Mars work , you will always look at the Pilots ,Crew and Staff as hero's . Perhaps some back benchers should spend some time on the business end of a Madick or fire hose. I took these pictures standing on the house of the #16-14 loader ,I have been told #3 would be a great picture if the guyline wasn't in the way , I took the picture to show how close the Mars is to the lines!
A couple more Martin mars pictures . This must be a demo on fire fighting . pictures taken in 1964 I think this is Caycuse , maybe someone could confirm this .
Same place as above doing a heli demo
Born2clearcut I think the picture of the Martin Mars is a demo. at the ball park a Lake Cowichan , check the up right fuel tanks in first picture , looks like the old B/A later Gulf out let below present day Arena also score board for soft ball score . Internasinal crummy . BCFP had Dodges like the ones in Heli. pictures below. The first 2 Heli pictures are taken at north end "delta end " of Cove Bridge crossing South arm of San Juan R. I think I recognize the pick ups , I'm Pretty sure your Grandfather Les Way use to drive the Internaional windowed panel.
Renfrew Div. #6-237 with lowbed ,have a look at the short ramps on lowbed . When it first arrived to replace the old drop center lowbed , everybody was scared to try walking up the ramps as it was steel to steel and very steep, so we used the old brow log ramps for the old drop center lowbed to load cross ways trouble was the new lowbed was higher off ground . As you walked across it you crawled up on it , when you hit center, it almost threw youi off the other side. Eventually we got brave and started walking up the ramps with tires on the steel to prevent sliding , on or off it was still a heart stopper when you broke over theback end of lowbed . I think it was a Willock or something like that ,the later modles had longer ramps , but I'm a big fan of Columbia lowbeds the first time I walked an American on to a Columbia I thought I was in heaven.
Renfrew Div. A smith sander awaits in the Renfrew yard for snow the#6-223 was set up as a duel purpose truck a logging truck in good weather and a sand truck for ice and snow . The long tom water tanks are ready incase of fire .
Renfrew Div. #505 American 7220 loader #6-229 HDX Hayes preloader . Ernie Harrison ran this loader as well as several others in his career as a loading operator . Any machine he ran had an easy life . He could get on a Model 6 Northwest or a new Madill Super Snorkel run it a day or ten years and it would be in as good a shape or better than when he took it over . His cost for line wear to logs loaded were always the cheapest.
So word I got today is that # 238 still lives, its now # 5 working on King Island as a lowbed truck for Malaspina Enterprises
Renfrew Div. Madill grapple yarder on rubber tire carrier . Washington Trakloader TL6 #309
Renfrew Div. Loader #16-23 Northwest mounted on a Madill rubber tire carrier being pushed up a hill by logging truck . The #16-23 was built by Madill , it should have had pedels with machenical linkage to brake bands , instead it had air brakes to the brake bands . God that thing was rough to load under , it got the name The Pile Driver.
Renfrew Div. #6-264 pulling lowbed with grapple yarder on board crossing bridge
Renfrew Div. Lowbed parked along side service shop at Renfrew Camp with #797 a Skajit 120 ft. telescoping tower on board
Renfrew Div. Early summer 1980 The #6-242 was on loan at Renfrew from Caycuse . Its being loaded by the #16-23 Northwest ( The Pile Driver ) log loader .
Renfrew Div, #6-242 HDX Hayes being dumped at Caycuse DLS
Renfrew Div. A load of logs crossing San Juan bridge
Renfrew Div. Skajit tower #73 Northwest Model 6 log loader #6-229 HDX Hayes logging truck
Forgot to mention she now has a Cummins N - 14 for power
Renfrew Div. The #6-264 pulling the lowbed with #16-15 on board . The #16-15 an American 7220 had a colourfull history ,brand new at the Silver River Div. , on the way out to the woods brand new before it loaded a log ,it was lost off the lowbed . At the time it was debatable if it was worth the cost of recovering it. Jake Kruger was the first operater to run it when it arrived at Renfrew, Jake was senior on the senority list at the time . One morning in the mid 1980's Jake walked into the Supers office , Bob ,the wife( Kay ) doesn't want to get up with me in the morning and make my lunch anymore, I'm retiring at the end of the month. What a classic exit.
69hayes Thanks for solving that little problem!!! That is VERY GOOD NEWS When she was sitting there with the back diff housing out we figured for sure it was being fitted for something else. For your all your trouble tracking her down I will post a few more pics LOL Thanks Again
Renfrew Div. In a loggers real world the sun dosen't always shine and the sky's aren't aways blue.#16-39 a Northwest log loader the #797 a Skajit Steel Tower . A Madill Grapplr Yarder.
Britain River Division 1949 Lawrie Drybrough with the Hayes he drove
6-230 This was the last time I saw this old girl from Caycuse This picture was taken at the "Y" at Courtenay where she was being used as a yard truck for putting the pup loads together for the P16's to pull up to Campbell River
Renfrew Div. Winter 1973 or 74 Pandora M/L #74 Northwest 80D log loader .
These are the last pictures taken of 6-249 and 6-253 These pics were taken in the Franklin River yard in front of the Dispatch Shack The two trucks were going through to the Cameron Division yard just outside Port Alberni to await the refit at Port Machine Works That is where they had their new 5th wheels installed before going on the barge to the QC Islands
HDX THe front bumper on the #6-230 sure is differnt than the #6-229. I can't remember which one it was ,but I was sent over to Caycuse to get a sand truck one winter. I pick up the sand truck and headed for Renfrew ,it seemed a little gutless , then I though maybe they loaded it for me . Stopped by the Caycuse DLS checked the box no sand , got down the road a little farther , maybe the brakes are dragging, stopped ,brakes OK . Man it was a long day. lol
HDX I know its painted in Timberwest colours , but the Caycuse shop crew sure had the #6-249 looking good , makes me sad to think how some of those trucks were treated after they left the south island , I know there are a lot of good drivers out there , I hope some of them got good rides and took care of them.
Renfrew Div. Salvaging a boom that broke up in a winter storm in San Juan Bay
camptramp The front bumper on 229 was the only one of that style installed on an HDX it was right after that one came out that Hayes swept back the two ends of the bumper 6 degree's and that became the bumper that all HDX's would be built with. It was actually a BCFP Shop Foreman that got it put on there --modeled after the Kenworths they had, but it was just too wide and too easy to hang up with while pushing stuff They were available with a reinforced plate welded over the center section as an option also This was for pushing more than the standard HDX bumper. Without that plate on there the bumper tended to get pushed in and dented easily. Most drivers got the shop to weld push blocks or something on them to better suit the conditions they were in. Mine has the plate on it but when she was still pretty new I got the welders to weld on a piece of angle iron on for pushing. Even the plate got scarred up but with the angle iron on there no more marks and very little painting after pushing lowbed
Renfrew Div. The #16-23 Northwest log loader with the Skajit grapple yarder
camptramp I remember when Johnny Sawatzky got her new and then Dave Whiskin had her right up till he had to take her to Port Alberni . I was talking to him in the Franklin Yard and man were those two drivers pis#ed about the trucks being sent away. Dave really looked after her and to see her like she is today is heartbreaking. BUT There is still hope She is still able to be put back together
Renfrew Div. A winter storm caught the #505 an American 7220 on top of Harris Cr. Spur 14 . I was driving #6-232 HDX Hayes push truck (note how you can get more traction with the BCFP preloaders by slacking winch line allowing trailer to lay back) Tom Worth on the #6-263 P16 Pacific lowbed truck Robbie Young on the Cat . Robbie held Tom until they got below the snow and ice, what a team! While we were up Spur 14 snow had fallen on the Gordon R. sumitt on the Gordon R, M/L, somebody hit the panic button and shut down the camp . When Tom got the lowbed off Spur 14 there was only a little slush on the road we headed down the Harris Cr. M/lLto the old Renfrew camp ,then started up the new Gordon R. M/L heading to ward Gordon R. camp .Tom dropped the #505 off at Gordon R.3000 Ernie Harrison walked the loader up to the first pile of logs and threw a load on the #6-232 . I was going to take the load to Gordon R. camp , when I got to Gordon R. camp no sign of snow when I got to the sumit still no snow so I kept going to Honeymoon Bay DLS . My biggest problem of day was finding a ride home everybody had already left earlier.
Renfrew Div. #79 older Model 6 Northwest log loader loading some "berries". Note the shortened preload trailer.
Renfrew Div. A Hayes HD setup for carrying an Air Track that was having a bad day.
Renfrew Div. A Model 6 Northwest grade shovel the #6-221 HDX Hayes logging truck, D. Evans gravel trucks
Renfrew Div. The #73 a Model 6 Northwest log loader . Most Northwest's of this vintage had Murphy Diesel's in them this one has a Cummins Diesel in it .
Renfrew Div. #305 Northwest grade shovel loading #6-223 HDX Hayes sand truck and D.Evans gravel truck.
Renfrew Div. #6-263 Pacific P16 moving Malloch & Moseley's grapple yarder on Gordon R. M/L M&M Kenworth push truck following.
AWESOME photo, Mister Tramp. Thanks.
Caycuse Div. The retired A Frame at Caycuse's former wet dump on Lake Cowichan. The Caycuse truck sheds. The #74 Northwest 80D log loader from Renfrew Div. being parted out in down town Caycuse.
Caycuse Div. Caycuse DLS on Lake Cowichan
Caycuse Div. Line ups to get dumped at Caycuse DLS were unbelievably long , it wasn't for lack of effort from the crew . They were just overwhelmed by the volume of wood BCFP tried to put through there from Caycuse and Renfrew Div. as well as Malloch & Moseley's Nitinat Div.
Renfrew Div. A new Chapman log loader at the Renfrew service/tire shop at the Renfrew Camp .
Camptramp, for us that live away from that area how about giving us some facts. I just was looking at the loads and was wondering the size and weight that was being hauled on those trucks? What kind of grade where you operating on, when hauling logs up and down the roads that were built by the timber companies? This has been some very interesting stuff for me to read and what great pictures of everything, to enjoy. Thanks to all that have shared so much!
Renfrew Div. New Chapman log loader out side service shop.
Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS dirty4fun I'm not that great with numbers but I'll give it a shot ,maybe HDX will kick in a couple of coments too. BCFP wanted to average about 90 cubic meter loads so loads not peaked up on BCFP trucks would be about 90 meters . I know I have hauled loads over 140 meters and there have been loads hauled by BCFP trucks over 150 meters . Malloch & Moesley's trucks load average was much higher as you can see in pictures . To give you an idea of weight a 5 axle highway truck hauling on the highway across DOT scales , load average was about 39 meters , so an average off highway truck would be hauling about two and a half highway loads, total weight for an average off highway log truck between 130 to 150 tons. Grades on hills vary I'm thinking a 25% grade would be getting steep , but there are probably grades up to 30% for short pitchs , a short steep pitch is no big deal ,a long steep grade is a real concern. I'm no hero ,but if the roads solid and the grades reasonable ,if the loader can get it on the truck, I'll get it to the dump . If the roads questionable or the grades overly steep ,load to the top of the stakes and round it off.
Renfrew Div. #309 Washington Trakloader operator Jim Elliot, Madill grapple yarder operator Ken Kruger #6-221 HDX Hayes log truck . Check out the scissor grapples on loader . When the #309 was new the original operator Alec Malahoff didn;t like the Washington scissor grapples that came with the loader ,so he and welder Lefty Marsh developed these grapples from the originals , Jim could eat his lunch with them ,if he could get them in the cab!
Posting 728 The little HD Ramptruck is for sale on Forest tech site. Funny how all these old trucks were worth nothing when Timberwaste was dumping them and now they are worth a gazillion dollars Must be a " they become more valuable the older they are" Just like the guys that drove them--They were called Dinosaur's Well now I hear industry call's them "Hard to find" LOL
camptramp We should try and post all the BCFP trucks and what they look like today-- Who has what truck and maybe a picture !!! Im not too up on the loaders or the spars but the trucks always yanked my crank. What do you think????
HDX If you don't mind me posting some of the pictures again I'll go through them and list the names of the drivers and operators I can Remeber
Renfrew Div. #6-221 HDX Hayes hauling a nice piece of fir from #309 Washington Trakloader Pandora area. I had a jamie short haul 5 loads a day.
Renfrew Div. Dumping #6-221 log truck with big log at Renfrew's DLS with Waganer stacker .
Excellent pictures Camptramp, they bring back a lot of fond memories of growing up around the forest industry in Lake Cowichan.
Thanks Wdonldson glad your having a peek at them . If you have any don't hesitate to share them with us . If your like me and can make comments ,but have trouble with these puzzle factories ( If you know me you will know my temper,) my wife does to ,in my frustration ,I was heading out the door to my shop to get my 16 inch cresent wrench and tune this sucker up when my wife caught me sat me down and got hold of the "Chemainus Computer Doctor " he had me posting pictures in no time . Don't you just love a good wife.
Renfrew Div DLS Chapman loader used for sorting log on dryland sort.
Renfrew Div. #6-229 HDX Hayes moving the #762 Skajit slackline tower , the old Skajit winch was retired in the mid 70's in this picture it has a Madill slackline winch on it .
Renfrew Div. The #762 Skajit 120 ft. telescoping steel tower with a Madill slackline winch awaits at Honeymoon Bay DLS for its new owners to move it to its new home in Washington State
Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS dirty4fun heres a picture I just found its an off highway load waiting to get dumped . The loaded highway truck with a legal load , is loaded with scaled and sorted wood to be dumped at salt water dump Shoal Island DLS. Does that give you an idea of the size of an off highway logging truck.
Renfrew Div. Looking down at the Renfrew Camp and DLS the mouth of the Gordon R. the North arm of the San Juan R. San Juan Bay the Sraits of Juan De Fuca, the State of Washington in the back ground . The bottom picture is Fairy Lake . All pictures taken from the top of Browns Cr.
Renfrew Div. How do you get a trailer reload built at Gordon R. shop down to Honeymoon Bay DLS . You get Master Mechanic Brian Dickson, Rigger Woods Forman Fred McMurray and Lowbed Driver Tom Worth together and the impossible gets done. Picture shows trailer reload crossing highway under hydro lines into Honeymoon Bay DLS . The back of the reload was held up by a cross log , when it got to the DLS a Chapman loader took the weight of the back end of reload , log was cut off to allow high end of reload to clear hydro lines, the loader carried that end of reload into DLS.
Renfrew Div. Moving trailer reload from Gordon R. Shop to Honeymoon Bay DLS
I look at the top of that mountain every time I go to Renfrew and wonder how nice of a view that must be. Thanks for posting
Thanks Camptramp for telling me how much the trucks would haul, and now seeing the difference next to each other. It was hard since the off road trucks are so big and wide that it makes things hard to tell what kind of load they are hauling. Being used to seeing 8' wide loads for the norm then I read where the off road trucks have a 14' bunk, it was hard to figure how much you were hauling. These forestry threads have been my favorite to read and view for quite some time. Thanks for the explanation, and looking forward to seeing and learning more!
Renfrew Div. dirty4fun The bunks on the HDX Hayes trucks #6-221 and #6-222 were 14 ft. wide ,the bunks on the M&M Kenworth bunks are 16 ft. wide , the stakes are 8 ft. high. The Hayes HDX trucks up to 6-229 were a narrower track and lighter springs than the #6-232 and up we had 2 sets of preload trailers the set for the older trucks had 14 ft. bunks the trailers for the newer trucks were 15.5 ft. When BCFP started to widen the preload trailers from 14 ft. to 15.5 , they tried the wide trailers on the older trucks the 6-229 aquired the nick name 2tippty9.
Renfrew Div. Spengstoff your very welcome , the view is terrific from the top of surrounding hill tops , on a clear day you can see the Glacier caps of the Olympic Mountians and freighters and marine traffic in the Straits of Juan de Fuca
camptramp Remember the Caycuse Trucks were restricted to 14 ft wide due to the big NitNat bridge with the gabled side's same as us over at Franklin. BCFP hauled out of the "Spruce Flats" and the other side of NitNat lake. There was a dump out at the mouth of the lake (KNOB POINT) but it was shut down so all the wood was hauled all the way to Caycuse DLS We had the same problem hauling out of the NitNat cross hauling against you guys and going to the Coleman Dump on the Alberni Canal
Renfrew Div. Taylor57 I remember growing up at Port Renfrew , there use to be a Taylor that use to bring Movies into Renfrew and show them weekly in the old Community Hall it must have been going on for a long time as there was a projection room built into the building I think his name was Al Taylor any relation?
HDX in those days I was over the hills at Renfrew and wasn't aware of that situation at Caycues I can't swear on a stack of Bibles but I think Renfrew started widening their bunks out when the first Pacific P16 #6-260 arrived I was out camp inspecting around that time , but don't think the old 14 ft. preload trailers worked with the new wide track Pacific P16s
Does the 6 in front of the truck number refer to a Renfrew area truck ?
69hayes the answer is no . Some time in the early mid 1970's as BCFP was growing ,its only a guess but new equipment started showing up #6-meaning log truck #27 ment yarder #27-10 #27-13 # 27-23 #27-27 were all Madill 009 90ft. high lead steel towers the #27-28 was a Madill Grapple Yarder #16-14 was an American line loader #16-15 was a 7220 American line loader #16-23 was a Northwest line loader . There are exceptions The #16-4 was an American 7220 line loader bought as a loader then converted over to a grapple yarder ,but kept the same number.
Thanks camptramp,when calling out miles do you use the 6 number in front of the truck number or just shorten it up to just the truck number, over here we used the H letter in front of the trucks number to mean a log truck when calling miles,
Campttramp, once again thanks having some good numbers to work with makes it a lot clearer as to the size of those loads. That one load look like it is about 16' tall above the bunk. I can see how winding around the roads in the mountains it could be a mess in a hurry, when it is slippy, tippy, would make it flippy. Got to get out there to see this for myself, for sure next year.
dirty4fun RegretfullyI don't drive logging truck any more the last Off Highway load I hauled was several years ago I've got a picture of it I'll post on the Pacific page later on . But I'm sure if and when you get out this way we can get together with HDX and arange some thing. I drove highway logging truck pretty much steady from 2001 until 2008 when I took early retirement ( couldn't stand watching the new players running the Industry into the ground any longer) I have been filling in driving highway logging truck here and there but I mostly stay around home driving Gravel truck.
69hayes The roads we hauled on when I drove Off Highway Logging truck were considered private each camp had its own policy ,ours. was we checked in at certian check points , the loaded truck had the right of way and the empty truck was exspected to wait at a wide spot on road side . When the Lowbed was loaded with a machine it had the right of way which ever direction it was traveling . In the last couple of years the forestry has delegated certian VIH radio frequency's on roads on crown land and they are radio controled calling in up or down by the KM's
camptramp This radio crap is pure BS now!!!!! Forestry Channel -- Empty pick-ups and loaded pick-ups going up and down in every direction That clown in Victoria that thought up this brainfart sure as H#LL didn't have to listen to this all day long It use to be simple -- Loaded truck always has the right of way when he calls-- Empty's didn't call except when starting into a spur or another mainline. Now they call at every Christmas tree empty and loaded every kilometer. Gets to the point of just wanting to shut the radio off to avoid the constant radio pollution . First thing you are told is DO NOT DRIVE BY THE RADIO DUHHH I fear to think what would happen if somebodies radio stopped working Shut the truck down right there I guess Simply cant drive if you cant call every stump and tree. Worksafe has created this mess and they don't even monitor the radios. Most of the companies have two frequencies--one is truck to truck that will only reach a short distance and the other is long distance (Repeater Channel) that will reach very long distance. Only problem with this is everybody goes onto the repeater channel to ensure they get heard but whenever the call they are cutting off the trucks calling their call points on the truck to truck channel. Then when they meet you they say YOU DIDNT CALL!!! There is a lot of people out there that don't even posses basic radio skills and yet they make the most noise on the radios When you see a head on collision or a head on sideswipe --I promise YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT When the investigation happens the first thing said is I DIDNT HEAR HIM CALL !!! I have seen 7 of these in my driving career with off highway trucks--one was a fatal and two others the driver had to be cut out of the trucks The last one where they were cutting the driver out the cutting torch started a fire in the lining of the cab and the driver almost burned to death before they got him out of the wreck Coleman Road H111 and H260 Radio's are a tool and if you don't know how to use them properly you should not have one. In our area of operations we are so overdue for a bad vehicle accident and yet nobody will address the problem. We have small highway trucks hauling out there now and some of the things I see I cant believe. I told one of the young fellas on the radio just after he slid to a stop crossways in front of me that we didn't have the jaws of life out here we use an HDX and a choker and tear the cab apart to get you out OH Yeah and it wont be me they are getting out of the wreckage. This is a sore spot and if I sound on edge because of it well maybe I just am I will take pictures and post them when the next one happens and it will SOON No such thing as radio protocol anymore Just go for it!!!!
Renfrew Div. 1969 HDX Hayes #6-232 The first Hayes preloader to arrive at Renfrew as a truck capable of loading its own trailer . It was also the first truck with a V12-71 Jimmy with an Allison transmission
HDX I could not agree more , my theory was if some one called back to say a pickup or highway truck was heading my way driving like a race car , P16 or HDX took the worry out of getting close . I hear of a lot of accidents and bad ones on roads that 20 years ago were a rarity now its a comon occurence,yea I've had a couple of trucks in the ditch but speed wasn't the cause ,it was parts failure or soft shoulders that got me . I've had a couple of what could have been bad run aways ( with preload trailers some one else had dropped off with problems some one else should have had fixed) but I kept them under control until I got them stopped on a flat spot. The radio night mare is the brain child of some back bencher in town trying to justify their job and some guy that drops into the area and can't figure out how to make a list of companies and radio channels in areas their visiting . Or can't figure out how to listen to a channel keep track of loaded log trucks and drive like theres a logging truck around every corner.
Renfrew Div. HDX HAYES loaded at Renfrew DLS
Renfrew Div. HDX Hayes #6-222 loader #93 TL15 Washington Trakloader
Regarding the 6-232 in post 770, I'll bet there was a long list of drivers wanting to be assigned to her, and a lot of politicking.
Renfrew Div. Vigilant there was a pecking order in place Tony Weber who was senior driver by a seniority system, who was driving the #6-212 was in line for a new truck ,got it .
Renfrew Div. Vigilant heres an interesting piece of information , when the 6-232 arrived with a V12 71 the #6-222 # 6-223 #6-224 #6-225 which had V8 Cummiuns in them with 4 X 4 standard trans. were converted to V12 71 Jimmy's with 6X4 trans . All the senior drivers were given a chance to spend time on the #6-232 , When asked what they prefered they chose the V12 71 with 6x4 standered trans. when the #6-236 #6-237 #6-238 #6-239 arrived they all had V12 71's with 6X4 standard trans. in them . When the #6-243 #6-244 arrived they had V12 71's Alison 6 speeds in them
Renfrew Div. #6-225 HDX Hayes logging truck being loaded by the #318 TL6 Washington Trakloader from a Madill 009 yarder looks like their using a shot gun system for yarding up hill.
Renfrew Div. #6-222 HDX Hayes logging truck #93 TL15 Washington Trakloader high country in the spring
Renfrew Div. #6-232 loaded in the Lens Cr. canyon not a lot of room some places you look down out of drivers window you can barely see edge of road under running board, Its just a ledge blown out of solid rock.
Renfrew Div. #6-231 HDX Hayes being loaded by #505 7220 American loader . Second picture is Ernie Harrison on #505 loader dragging a large Fir log up right of way to load on #-231
I agree, straight seniority is the best way. Regarding the V8 Cummins, if we're talking about a VT903, aka nine-o-nuttin', I would have a hard time understanding how that engine found its way into an off-highway truck. That and a 4X4 would have probably made for a long and arduous day.
Vigilant I don't know that much about them HDX might he has the records the #6-203 #6-212 #6-222 #6-223 #6-224 #6-225 were all trucks in Renfrew Div. with V8 cummins in them . The #6-204 #6-205 #6-206 had inline 6 Cummins in them they all had 4 speed mains and 4 speed auxillary square cut gears , the drivers in those days had to be good to servive. I don't think they were the greatest engines ,as there was a fellow by the name of Gerry Anderson whos job it was to travel around BCFP camps to rebuild V8 Cummins engines .
What little I know about the VT903s is that they were decent engines when maintained well and not run hard in severe duty applications. Otherwise, they did not seem to do well.
Renfrew Div. #799 Skajit grapple yarder crossing Gordon River bridge
Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes was considered the hot rod of the fleet in her day. It was also the first log truck at Renfrew Div. to arrive with 8 ft. stakes.
Renfrew Div. #318 TL6 Washington Trakloader having a little problem. Looks like I caught someone in a pickup stuck
Hi everyone HDX wanted me to go thru my old kenworth records for BCFP here is what I found. 1948 kenworth 548 sn 56724 1950 kenworth CD548 sn59450 1951 hayes SW452 sn 109751 truck number 172 1950 kenworth cd548 sn59451 unit #184 1950 kenworth cd548 sn59452 1950 kenworth cd548 sn59453 unit#187 1950 kenworth cd548 sn59454 unit #188 1951 kenworth cd548 sn59932 1951 kenworth cd548 sn59933 1951 kenworth cd548 sn60587 1954 kenworth cd849 sn62693 1954 kenworth cd849 sn62694 1954 kenworth cd849 sn62695 This unit was kind of on its own not too much information but sn is 57188 which says in my records is a 1948 cd548 and unit number 7. Anyways I hope this helps I have all the specs as in engines trans and diffs. A lot of new trucks for the day.
I'll have a look , i'm pretty sure i have pictures of this bridge being built
Great information 31kenworth I remember #188 as the linehorse at Renfrew when I started working there in 1966 . The #188 was new in 1950 and just about used up as the linehorse in '66 it dosen't seem it was in service very long . But then if you check out the pictures of the loads the loading crews piled on them It's no wonder , They were small trucks originaly bought to haul small loads to reload on to rail cars, when they tore up the railroad and hauled the logs all the way to the dump at salt water they over loaded them to make the trip worth while. I guess thats why BCFP bought so many log trucks in the late 1940's early 1950's the valley bottoms were logged out ,they had reached up the hillsides as far as they could with skylines and railroad switch backs . The change over to truck logging had begun .It almost happened hand in hand with the change from Steam power to Diesel power .
You probably do it was built in around 1972 and your Grandfather was aways involved with major projects in that region of BCFP and always had his camera with him he took great pictures .
Renfrew Div. #6-244 HDX Hayes the ultamate truck driver John Ellioit at the wheel coming around a switch back on WFI 2000
Renfrew Div. Some times dropping a loaded preload trailer works some times it doesn't
Hayes trucks are also good in logging industry compare to the other brand of trucks.
A problem not uncommon to most pre-load drivers LOL Been there done that
Its worst if only one leg sinks!
Renfrew Div. In late Oct. early Nov. 1981 we had a very dry stretch of Indian summer . There was a large setting of F&B above the Harris Cr. Summit reaching around to spur 19 . There were 2 Skajit towers yarding up hill from HC. 2000 above the HC Summit . The first tower on a short branch road was a track mount self propelled the second tower behind was a lowbed mount requiring a preload style truck to move it . All the fire equipment had been taken to camp for winter storage ,the Martin Mars were being prepared for winter. A choker broke on the rigging of the first tower a flash of flame shot from the choker to a brush pile , the brush burst into a fire and all hell broke out . By the time I got from Renfrew camp to HC2000 with a Long Tom water tank it was a major fire .The log loaders had moved into the clear the towers were towering down to move in to clear . The first tower on tracks towered down moved into clear . The back tower had a problem the dogs jamed that lock to hold the tower in the telescoped up position . As the wind picked up and the fire started to move across the hill ,the crew abandoned the second tower and moved them selves to safety. As the fire got close to the road the wind died down and the crew decided to take one more shot at saving the tower . They went back in got the tower down . Fred McMurray and a crew member stayed with the tower when the main crew were in the clear I took the #6-222 through the smoke hooked up to the tower .Fred said I'll stay in front of you just follow me . I told him to just get the hell out of there , the only thing I'll be watching is for where the ditch line is I'll run you over if you get in the way.I rolled up the window and grabbed a couple of gears and got her through, another hour it would have been scorched scrap metal.
Renfrew Div. Fire on HC 2000 the martin Mars did get in the air ,but late in the day the fire quieted down in the evening . The crew fighting the fire called it a night about 10 PM . When we arrived back at top landing we discovered the wind had come up during the night , and had taken the fire across the sidehill the #6-209 water truck had been left on a top landing . The windows were rolled down the cab was full of ash a fire pump on the edge of the landing was burnt up the hose hooking the pump to the 6-209 was burnt half ways to the truck but the truck made it through the night unscathed
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes
Renfrew Div. #6-222 HDX Hayes # 16-14 American log loader Madill grapple yarder ,logging bottom of setting on Harris Cr. M/L just under Harris Cr. Summit where it becomes Tr 7. The top of that setting is the one that burn up a little later in the fall of 1981
Renfrew Div. #6-243 HDX Hayes driver Dan Burns loaded down WFI 2000 not much road , no inside ditch.
Renfrew Div. #6-263 Pacific P16 Tom Worth moving the #319 a TL15 Washington Trakloader on lowbed , on a icy Winters day
Moving that trackloader on icy roads wouldn't be a enjoyable job. I can still remember the first time I loaded a Cat dozer on a trailer, three tries to keep it on the deck. Some more great pictures thanks so much for sharing, with us.
I posted this on the Hayes Thread only because of the number of Hayes Trucks After talking with camptramp we decided that a list of BCFP Trucks would be a good idea! If any of you guys comes across one of them in your travels please snap a picture of her and get it posted on here. It is not for someone's private collection It is for histories sake. There are very few people around the world that would ever have the chance to see them and this is our way of sharing them with you. Truck numbers in the early years of BCFP are hard to figure out because this new company was buying up other companies and moving equipment around to suit their needs. In 1946 They bought out Industrial Timber and with them came two Hayes Logging trucks--One of which is the old Hayes with the gravel box on her over in Sechelt and the other was lost to history Next they bought out Tom Brown Lake Logging Operation at Glendale Cove. That Operation had 4 Hayes Logging Trucks. These were spread out between Vancouver Bay Division and Britain River Division when Glendale cove was shut down. In 1957 Britain River was shut down and moved across to a new camp called Glacier Creek. This was a smaller camp and it was decided that they didn't need so many trucks #172 was sent down to Harris Creek Camp Im not sure how the rest played out and if somebody has an idea where they were please jump in !!!! Industrial Timber Two Hayes's a 1944 and a 1945 The 1945 is in Seceht and the other is lost to history Tom Brown Lake trucks #1--stayed as #1 #2 became BCFP#159 #3 stayed as #3 #4 became BCFP#169 Some early year trucks #159 ex Tom Brown Truck #2 ????? #167 was a Vancouver Bay Truck #168 was a Vancouver Bay Truck #169 was a Britain River Truck ex Tom Brown #4 #170 was a Britain River Truck #171 was a Britain River Truck #172 was a Britain River Truck #173 was a Vancouver Bay Truck #174 ????? Then in 1954 BCFP started buying new HDX Trucks from Hayes 1954 #210 Caycuse #209 Caycuse #208 Caycuse #207 Caycuse #206 Harris Creek Camp #205 Harris Creek Camp #204 Harris Creek Camp #203 Harris Creek Camp 1955 #211 Caycuse #212 Harris Creek Camp 1956 an HD 20-70 Hayes Division and unit # unknown #213 Caycuse #214 Caycuse 1960 #215 Pitt Lake #216 Pitt Lake 1961 #217 Pitt Lake This was the first BCFP with planetary rear ends 1962 #218 Pitt Lake #219 Caycuse #220 Caycuse #221 Caycuse #222 Renfrew #223 Renfrew 1963 #224 Renfrew 1964 # 726 Hayes built Log Unloader Renfrew #225 Renfrew 1965 There was never a unit # for a Truck numbered 226 #227 Pitt Lake #228 Caycuse 1966 #229 Caycuse This truck came with a flat front bumper designed after the early Kenworth style by a BCFP Master Mechanic. It was the only truck built with that style bumper It was after this truck that Hayes went to the swept back 6 degree on each side style front bumper that all HDX's would have. 1969 #230 Caycuse This was the first Hayes with an Allison Trans that BCFP bought #231 Caycuse #232 Renfrew 1970 #233 Caycuse #234 Caycuse #235 Pitt Lake #236 Renfrew #237 Renfrew #238 Renfrew 1971 #6-239 Renfrew #6-240 Caycuse 1972 #6-241 Caycuse #6-242 Caycuse #6-243 Renfrew #6-244 Renfrew 1973 #6-245 Malibu #6-246 Malibu #6-247 Nekite #6-248 Narrows with 2 trailers #6-249 Caycuse #6-250 Caycuse 1974 #6-251 Caycuse #6-252 Caycuse #6-253 Silver River #6-254 Nekite Oct /74 This was to be the last Hayes that BCFP bought After this they were forced to buy Pacific P16's due to the shut down of Hayes--There was two trucks being ordered at the time Hayes was shutting down and it was a mutual consent by both parties that the order would be sent over to Pacific Truck and Trailer to fill that order
You've been hard at work HDX a lot of information there . BCFP bought out Kapoors in the Shawnigan Lake area in the late 1950's a couple of log trucks from their ended up at Harris Cr. doe's anyone out there know anything about these trucks.
Renfrew Div. Can't remember taking this picture but its the #232 pulling the low bed with a fairly new excavater on board
camptramp that picture shows how far the 5th wheel will lift and how it works so the guys on here can see what happens when you have to lift the loaded trailer to unhook it With it in the raised position like this it allows you to drop the trailer legs and stand the load on its own.You would do this if you were preloading or maybe you had to make a lowbed move part way through the day . you just drop the load and grab another trailer or the lowbed or a Fire Tanker or whatever Good shot!!!!
Renfrew Div. HDX that picture was taken when Tom Worth was driving the #6-232 just alittle history on the #6-232 Tony Weber drove the #6-232 brand new in 1969, when the #6-244 arrived at Renfrew in 1972 it was issued to Tony Weber and Tom Worth took over the #6-232 in the late 1970's Tom Worth was taking over the lowbed driving duties, in 1979 the #6-263 arrived in Renfrew Div. and was issued to Pete Malahoff , Pete went back running log loader in 1980 and Tom Worth took over the #6-263 ,heres a sad note Tom with out doubt was one of the best if not the best driver in Renfrew Div. history , but he never climbed into the cab of a brand new truck to call his own. That lowbed trailer had short ramps ,to help the guys loading machines on it , they us to load so the lowbed was facing down a hill or lift the truck end of the lowbed up so the climb up the ramps wasn't so steep.
Renfrew Div. #6-263 Pacific P16 pulling lowbed mount Madill 009 steel tower up Harris Cr. Spur 10
Y'awl must have had plenty of graders running back then, because about every haul road I have seen in this thread looks to be in great shape. Haven't seen any washboards yet.
One more observation. I was still a young lad when my father worked at Twin Harbors, and then Vail. Even so, I spent a lot of time in the woods with him. Some of the things which seem very common in all the Canadian photos I have seen, yet I never saw in the PNW back then, are snorkels, raised cabs on shovels (loaders), and an enclosed cab on a line horse. My first thought when I saw a photo here of a line horse with an enclosed cab was, "Real men don't need enclosed cabs". ROFL!
Good old HDX push truck LOL
I don't see any lowbed there - it looks more like a rubber mounted 009 being pulled with a strap by the lead Pacific. Not that I'm nitpicking here - I really enjoy all of your postings Camptramp. You are very nicely capturing the era that I spent in my early '20s working with this equipment. The Madill 009's were always a pig to get up steep spurs from what I remember. Their rear drive wheels would always lose traction at the slightest incline. So where exactly would the following HDX be pushing on the back of the yarder? The pad?
Renfrew Div. Jackd let me put it a different way BCFP had Madill build 009 yarders with 90ft. towers mounted on a trailer carrier that could be pulled around by their peload style logging trucks . In my travels I have only seen 3 of this style 2 highlead yarders in Renfrew Div. and 1 with a Madill slack line winch in Caycuse . Caycuse also had an old Madill tower mounted on a home built trailer setup ,the way the winch is mounted on the frame with the goose neck for the pin to hook to the fifth wheel looks a bit like a lowbed from the side. When raising a Madill tower I preffered the Tank style the later model rubber tire carrier with tandem steering axles ran a close second , the trailer mounts were not as stable and one had to take a lot more care. The long arms or braces for the pad would be taken off and the push truck pushed on the pad. When ever I was moving a Madill 009 at Malibu or Nekite we used a Cat to pull it up steep grades or a round switch backs . At Malibu on the #27-13 rubber tire mount sometimes we had to back up around switch backs as there was no way to go forward and clear rock faces with tower or put the tower up on the ram to clear banks and stumps . I could get a round in a lot tighter spots with the tank mount style.
So was there ever the occasion when the 'pipe' slapped the top of the truck when this towing was going on? Did the guy lines, mainline/haulback lines ever foul the truck cab as well? I remember it was always a bugger with the 009's when the pipe snagged onto something on the upper side of the road, when you went around corners. This was another reason I liked the Sparmatics - 120 foot telescoping pipe was much less the problem. The pusher truck must have taken great care to stay on centre for fear of nailing one of the rear levelling jacks on the Madill.
AWESOME pics camptramp! two questions,1st,noticed in posting #796 it appears that on unit 222 there is an exhaust stack on drivers side. if so i hve not seen this configuration before or i wasnt paying attention to earlier hdx configurations. 2nd,was wondering why on all units it appears that there is only one fog light and its on passenger side.was curious about reasoning behind this. once again AWESOME pics! loving the history being displayed!
My guess is that the 12V71 was retrofitted in a truck plumbed for Cummins.
jackd I won't say it never happened but as a junior driver I didn,t spend much time towing those trailer type towers but most often we would climb up on the pigeon roof with a piece of rope and tie the lines tight to the tower. I did spend a fair a mount of time pushing them . Pushing on the center with the pad between the truck and the frame of tower kept jacks in the clear.
trux The reason for the single headlite on the R/H front of the brushguard was a Ditch-Light It was there to give the driver a better line of sight in the dark The R/H side of these trucks is a blind spot and these help a great deal The driver would adjust that light for his best light assist!!! As for the twin stacks --When the V12's were installed it was far more easy to just run the small 4 inch mufflers up the side of the water tank. A number of these trucks came with the Cummins V903 engines and the exhaust pipe ran up the R/H side of the hood near where the air cleaner was mounted. Some actually came with the exhaust pipe mounted up forward near the rad. See some of the earlier posts on this thread and you will see them as delivered new
HDX: How did the V903s hold up as an off-highway truck engine?
Vigilant I never drove one of them with a 903 in it!!! From what I have been told by some of the old BCFP drivers they were OK and some just didn't like them. BCFP got one Allison trans in one truck but the drivers didn't like that either so they got the next bunch of HDX's with 6speed mains and 4 speed aux's and then as the older HDX's with the 903's were converted to 12V71's they also got the 6&4s. I never drove for BCFP because I drove for MacMillan & Bloedel but I always had a soft spot for them because I was born in a BCFP Camp up the coast and that is where I came into the world of logging trucks. We didn't have Smith Miller we had HAYES up there. But as for the 903 well I have a M123A1C with a 903 in it and I love it ALL NOISE NO POWER!!! She is all stock and except for the paint it is in as issued condition with all the hard to find stuff still on her
Vigilant BCFP at Renfrew had a lot of roads TFL 46 is a large area one haul from Honeymoon Bay DLS was over 60KMs to Camper Cr. of gravel road there were several others criss crossing the San Juan R. and Gordon R. drainage's. 3 Cat 12 were used at lest one was double shifted. Most of these pictures are taken in good weather ,if the road got graded in the right conditions it packed in pretty good . The bigger tires on larger trucks were easier on the roads , when we started to switch to highway trucks on the road the wash board showed up on the roads ( we found we got better tire wear and road stayed together when we engaged power divider when we hit the gravel road). The use of snorkles on the BC coast have been around for along time I seen my first snorkle in Juskatla in 1968 but I'm sure they were around long before that . BCFP started to use them at Renfrew around 1970 they rigged up the #319 a TL15 Washington Trakloader with one then bought the #505 an American 7220 . They had a system and I guess it had to do with stumpage rates ,they would cherry pick the logs on a regular width road right of way then go back later and widen the right of way as far as the loader could reach with 7220 that the end of the snorkle was about 60-70 feet from the center pin of the loader. These pictures were taken out of the drivers side window of an HDX. As far as the cab on the line horse I like to think we worked smarter not harder , we may not be as tough as thoughs that came before us but we arn't as crippled up either after 46 years in the industry.
Vigilant heres a little bit of information on the exghaust on the HDX's the floor boards were cooler in the trucks converted over to V12-71's the exghaust pipes followed the frame under the running boards then up through the ladder of the water tank a little noiser ,but the cab was cooler . The factory set up has the left exghaust pipe crossing over to the right side under the floor boards ,on long adverse grades the heat comes up through the floor.
Renfrew Div. loading logs out of Renfrew DLS to haul to Caycuse DLS
Interesting. Thanks. The comment about the line horse cab was all in fun. Just interesting to note the differences. Speaking of differences, I used to think the KW 848 was king of the woods. I had heard about Hayes trucks,but not Pacifics. Both brands of truck surely do put the 848/849/850 to shame in some ways, and to hear some of y'awl joking now and then about how the Hayes and Pacifics out-shine the KWs was pretty amusing.
Van Natta Bros. have one also.
They have about 3 or 4 of them All are in the bone yard now I think They used them for a lot of heavy stuff and yes they went through a number of engines 65,000LB Mack rear ends and a Mack triple reduction steering axle. They went into great detail about some of the engine failures over the years Good bunch of guys to BS with I got some ideas from them and they were very helpful with all questions. They have replaced them with the M911's with the 8V92 Gm's and auto trans These were built by Oshkosh whereas the M123's were built by Consolidated Diesel Electric (Condec) under contract to Mack Love those 14:00X24 tires. Some day I will find the M125 to go beside her LOL
2 Classics 6-249-H-17 Taken at Cameron Shop Yard
6-229 6-219 6-219 6-252
6-254 6-215 6-215 6-216 Preload #40-148 Original unit number unknown.
6-227 Little HD ramp truck 6-228
Gordon river shop yard , 6-246 with line horse on her now & old line horse original number unknown.
camptramp Those are just SOME of my pics from over the years. I think we should try and record all the BCFP trucks we can With what you have already posted and these we got a pretty good headstart. I looked but cant remember what 40-148's original number was. For some reason I remember her from Caycuse maybe Renfrew-- also the above picture of 40-117 I have lost her original unit number For the record 6-228 is now IPL unit # H150 Maybe Hayesno1 can post a picture of her for us here
camptramp 40-148 IS 6-230 Found the paper
hdx, thx for replying to my questions.
Vigilant As far as trucks that are simple no frills the Hayes HDX would come first , the Pacicfic P16 would be second. But if you got off the Island and did a little camp inspecting in the Inlets ,out on the West coast of the Island in the 1960's and 1970's you would find a lot of owner operators and small contractors with 848 Kenworths .They had a big piece of that market , maybe it was a smaller investment maybe cost of parts maybe the contractor didn't have to invest as much in road building . But I've seen alot of 848's in places like Bute Inlet Kingcome Inlet . By the time Kenworth started building the 849 850's I think outfits like BCFP ,M&B ,CZ aready had the Hayes HDX and had the parts and shops setup to work on them . I didn't see that many Pacific's around until the Hayes were bought up and shut down. Then they seemed to ramp up production to fill the gap , they seemed to stick to the keep it simple keep it tough concept. The Kenworth was always alittle on the fancy show off side.
HDX I'll give Calvin Oliver a call and see if he knows which truck that is . Heres a little history for you , the water tank on it looks a little different that funny notch on the back , it is the result of a misshap to a Longtom at a fire the fall 1967 . The longtom had been parked and blocked up the night before with the truck still under it . In the morning the truck pulled out from under it ,I wasn't there so I don't know what caused it but as the truck pulled out the longtom dropped off the blocking and rolled down the hill, tires parts and pump going every direction . After the fire what was left of the longtom was draged back to the road and hauled back to camp . The front end was saved and made into a water tank for the 209 after its line horse duties were finished ,the notch is where the king pin for the fifth wheel use to be turned over .
Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific I don't know whos idea it was ,but Tom Worth will try just about anything and pull it off once. Delivering a couple "Berries" to the Honeymoon Bay DLS
Renfrew Div. Unloading "Berries" at Honeymoon Bay DLS
HDX are you sure the 36-84 isnt the #6-221
Quite a bunch of great pictures, really like those logs being hauled cross ways on a lowboy. Good to see how they were unloaded, I wondered if they dropped the ramps and rolled them off, till is scrolled on down.
keep them coming camptramp as have a brother who worked for bcfp retired now beleave dad did so to late 40s early 50s
Yes camptramp It is 221. I was looking at some of the pics and back some post's ago we were talking about the front bumpers!!! Well if you look at post827 on this thread you can see the reinforced front bumper on the 249 and then look at the reinforced front bumper on H17 parked beside her, They both have the heavy steel plate welded in the middle section. H17 has the angle iron welded over it and it shows how little bruising happens when pushing the low bed or rubber tired log loaders. Then look at post 831 and look at the standard front bumper without the plate. Poor old 6-246 (Line horse) and you can see what happened when pushing All dented up
Renfrew Div.#6-232 HDX Hayes with load in front of #505 7220 American loader.
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes #505 American log loader good view of snorkle
Renfrew Div. View from the push truck during a lowbed move.
Did you have many driver fatalities from rollovers, etc in terrain that rough?
Renfrew Div. #6-264 P16 Pacific pulling lowbed with #505 American 7220 log loader on board coming and going.
To my knowlege there hasn't been a fatality in the operation I worked in . There have been fatalities in this area , and one driver who relocated to the North end of the Island was involved in a truck wreck fatality. The biggest cause are runaway's . When things go wrong on a steep grade ,one has a split second to decide what to do . Most of the log truck drivers I've shared the road with are very competent at what they do , Keeping their brakes in good order and driving in a manner that they alwayes have the truck under control . If your coming down a steep hill and traveling at a speed ,that if something goes wrong you can stop it or ditch it . If your driving in a manner that your almost out of control and something goes wrong you've got few options ,if you ditch it the load takes the water tank and cab off ,if you try to out run it things only get worse.
Words of wisdom on the highway as well. That, and the pitfalls of placing too much faith in the Jake.
Renfrew Div. A new Madill Grapple Yarder assembled in front of Gordon R. shop around 1983 or 84 Surfer can you nail down the date or number .
Renfrew Div. #6-263 with lowbed hauling new Madill grapple yarder to the woods.
Renfrew Div. A winter scene #6-232 under an American 7220 log loader
Are you sure that isn't the machine that got pulled over the first day it worked? I have a very strong memory of that happening for some reason but can't help with the year much. Wally Pakulak stayed and watched all morning then left and the accident happened after that. And about that time Madill would practically give you a yarder if you could put it to work. Things were very tight in 1983 after a long and complete shut-down starting in September of '82 so I'm hard-pressed to believe the company actually bought a new machine then. I also seem to recall there was 100,000 bucks worth of damage done to the boom when it pulled over. Maybe I'm confusing two events but....... Take care.
Hey Dave good to hear from you . I'm sure this is not a Madill Grapple Yarder that got pulled over . The one that got pulled over was on a rubber tire under carriage this ones on tracks . Ramsey got on a mission to get rid of steel towers and replace them with grapple yarders this one might have been put together in 85 or 86 they had two Madills that they double shifted .Bruce Wilson and Pete Mallahoff doubled shifted the log loader on one yarder and Jim Elliot and Gerry VanBeers double shifted on the loader on the other yarder Stu Smith ran one grapple yarder on one shift and Ken Kruger Ran the other yarder on one shift but I don't recall their opposites .
Hey Dave I finally remembered the number of the grapple yarder that got pulled over on the WFI Hook Up road . Its the #27-25 Ken Kruger ran it new.
I left in October of '84 so missed all that. Weird how "memories" get screwed up over the years eh? Anyway, I'm still stoked at all the pics and stories you're sharing here so thanks again. Take care.
Renfrew Div Got a call from Mike Green today the grapple yarder put together at Gordon River shop was #27-02 ,Mike ran grapple yarder and Jim Elliot ran log loader on one shift and Ken Kruger ran grapple yarder , Gerry VanBeers ran log loader on the opposite shift on the #27-02.
Renfrew Div. #6-244 pulling adverse grade in Camper ,Sad Lake area
Renfrew Div. I was trying to figure out which truck this is then I looked at the front bumper painted not a mark on it hasn't pushed the lowbed for a while its got to be the #6-236 with Don Orza driving it.
Renfrew Div. Okay Spike ask Cannon to explain this one . lol
Renfrew Div. Slackline Hooktender Rigger Maurice Trembly wakling into landing
Renfrew Div. Log Loader Grapple Yarder Operator Howard Hyde walking in front of #6-221 log truck
Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific pulling lowbed with #319 a TL15 Washington Trakloader rigged up for yarding on board
Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay shop and Dry Land Sort
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes with a load of berries at Honeymoon Bay DLS
Renfrew Div. #6-260 P16 Pacific hooked to lowbed with #93 a TL15 Washington Trakloader on board , Tony Weber's last truck before he retired
Awesome pictures Al , I noticed its been very orange in here tho , so heres alittle splash of yellow . Truck #194 KW self loader picture taken in 1964
Its a funny thing about putting a machine on a low bed ,that you never think about the two and a half feet of track on the lowbed, all you think of is the six inches hanging over the edge
Looking at Post #865, it appears that the hood is actually sloping upward toward the front. I have noticed this before in photos of Hayes trucks posted here. Was that common, perhaps among older Hayes trucks?
yes the Hayes had high rads. when you break over a hill with a Hayes its a second or so before you see whats ahead of you . The #6-232 had a higher rad tank than most Hayes it's my under standing that when it was new it had a heating problem. instead of putting a thicker rad core in it , someone put a higher rad core in it ,probably to save the cost of matching rad tanks . That a real plus for the Pacific's ,they have better visibility of the road in front of you ,I've never driven an 849 or 850 Kenworth but I suspect holds true for them to.
Again, I thank you, sir.
That would have to be a Caycuse truck there was a self loading Chunk Truck with a " Courtenay Heel Boom" similar to that one #191 at Renfrew Div. it was still there in 1966 when I first hired on it disappeared shortly after then but I cann't remember exactly when.. When we were loading Heli wood at the old Harris Cr. camp I found a round brass tag with #191 stamped on it.
Renfrew Div. A couple of pictures of lowbed with 7220 American loader from a distance . First one traveling on WFI Hook Up road . The second is the lowbed making the switch back corner off the Grierson M/L on to the Gordon River M/L.
Small price to pay for driving a Classic!!!!!
Well those trees sure have grown fast eh? wouldnt have recognized the location at all.
Renfrew Div. Those pictures were taken quite a few years ago . I can remember running the #74 log loader on a landing just above the first picture of the lowbed on the Grierson M/L. I was loading out logs yarded by the #797 Skajit steel tower ,We were being visited by a new Workmens Compensation Board Inspector ,strait out of the office didn' t have a clue about what was going on . The yarder pulled the turn into a hang up ,the chocker broke ,the noise went from a screaming Jimmy to a quite lull. The landingman pointed out the broken chocker bell flying over the top of the tower . By that time our new WCB inspector was trying to crawl under the yarder which was a tank mount , he didn't get far maybe his hard hat and head with his ass sticking out and his knee's digging for forward motion . If I remember correctly ,that was his one and only visit.
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes #16-4 American originally a log loader at Nekite R. it was converted to a grapple yarder . When Nekite shut down it was transferred to Renfrew Div. I guess I was doing pull truck duties that day , theres a Pacific hooked to the lowbed behind me.
Renfrew Div. Art Nickerson's pride and joy #6-239 an HDX Hayes the last conventional off highway log truck purchased new for Renfrew Div. HDX check out the wings on top sides of water tank for the front bunk of the 1950's early preload trailers . And the first log truck to arrive in Renfrew with 8 ft. stakes. Driven new by one of Renfrews most unique charactor's Fred Call.
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes being loaded by #318 TL6 Washington Trakloader Loading from Madill 009 steel tower
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes Getting a highway B Train out to the woods to pick up shake bolts isn't an easy chore . We use to tow them up the steeper hills so they didn't chew up our hills to bad , they would put it in neuteral we would hardly know they were back there.
Renfrew Div. #6-253 HDX Hayes the last Hayes preloader style log truck bought by BCFP new at Silver River transferred to Renfrew Div. in late 1982
At least her and old 6-249 are still keeping each other company Strange to see a BCFP HDX with hood skirts on it
Renfrew Div. #6-237 HDX Hayes turning switch back
Renfrew Div. #6-253 HDX Hayes on Gordon R. M/L around Axe Cr. no hood skirts HDX
Renfrew Div. P16 Pacific pulling lowbed with Madill Grapple Yarder on board across bridge at bottom of TR.11
Renfrew Div. #6-236 #6-253 HDX Hayes pulling loads up "Jack Shaft Summit " When the Gordon River M/L was opened , the camp engineer felt he Saved $50,000 worth of dynamite keeping with a steeper grade . The shop felt they spent more than that on jack shafts and rear ends in the first year . BCFP cut the grade down once , Timberwest cut the grade down once ,its still a tough grade to pull. On a hot day pulling up that grade with the Alison Trans in first gear or first converter the heat generated by the trans and the left exhaust pipe passing under cab to right side , the dash board is warm enough that its hot to hold your hand on ,if you prop the door open with your foot, for some fresh air ,the dust from the wheels drifts into the cab.
Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific and lowbed with#505 American 7220 log loader has arrived at its new address.
BCFP P16 unit #6-258. This is how she looks today.
Renfrew Div. #225 HDX Hayes as a sand truck in better days
Renfrew Div. The DLS shop at Honeymoon Bay
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes parked in front of Honeymoon Bay DLS office
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P9 Pacific tandem tractor with triaxle trailer May 1986 brand new at CPR dock Nanaimo B.C. This truck was in tha truck cavalcade that opened the Coquihalle Highway . When BCFP decided to start hauling some of the wood straight from the woods to Shoal Island DLS , they ordered 5 P9 Pacific trucks with Knight triaxle trailers . 4 contractors were hired to share the haul ,2 bought P9 Pacific's with Knight rigging ,2 bought Kenworths with Parpac rigging.It didn't take long to see the Parpac's were a better trailer ,the Knight trailers were just gravel trailers with a bunk mounted on them . I don't know all that went on with the order,but have to asume that one Knight trailer was aready started when the order was cancelled. The #6-280 #6-281 #6-282 #6-283 arrived with Parpac rigging . The #6-284 arrived with a redesigned Knight trailer with a more ridged I beam frame that had a dropped center section to lower the bunk to allow 5 inches hie ght for pay load . The contractors trailers were soon returned to Knight and replaced with this type of trailer . The third picture of taking trailer off at Shoal I. DLS to get tara weights at highway scales .
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P9 Pacific First load with the first new truck I drove. Had a 3406 400 HP Cat with 15 speed road ranger .
Camptramp great job enjoy your posts. I have the build list for Madill GYs April 1984 #60116 the Rubber mount is a 1977 #60035 I noticed in some of your other pictures the rubber mount has 2 guylines probably installed after the faceplant. Great pictures of the Martin Mars, I forwarded them to the flight crew who also enjoyed, my brother is a captain on the Mars. Keep up the good work....
Very interesting photos camptramp, thanks for sharing. I have in my collection a photo of this truck - or one of the others in this order - the photograph doesn't show the BCFP decals or they are obscured by the air cleaner. At any rate, I will post this photo on the Pacific website shortly along with the build sheet for it and it's siblings. #6-284 was SN A01950...
Nice looking trucks but I doubt they were P-9's especially in that year.I think P-9's were finished before I started there.I suspect they are P-510's.....Cory
Your absoluty correct I put over 300,000 KM on that truck and I don't think I even looked at the plate with the serial numbers . I was talking to an old friend this afternoon and he pointed out the difference , that modle has an International cab . The dash was a plastic wrap around as the earlier Pacifics were metal straight across.
Renfrew Div. #6-283 P510 Pacific logging truck #16-14 American log loader My first load on a highway logging truck .
Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS loading a large Fir on a Doman truck to take to Shoal Island DLS
By 1986 International had sold us and we no longer (read yee haw)had to use their cabs on the smaller trucks.The 86 would more than likely have the new redone "Pacific" cab.They had the "plastic" wrap around dashes.It was a big change for trucks like the P-16 that had used flat dashes for decades.We at Pacific liked the changes and were all very happy to see "our" cab on "our trucks....Times were changing tho and our days were numbered......Cory
THE #6-284 P510 Pacific with Knight trailer and rigging was alittle different from the other 4 trucks #6-280 to #6-283 as they had Parpac trailers and rigging the water tanks were a different shape and the headache rack was made of round steel with corners rounded. The #6-284 was the one of a kind odd ball the headache rack made of square steel and had sqare corners . I couldn't even swap trailers with the Parpac's as the rider bars were different . Even the heigth of the stakes were different the Parpac were 12ft.10in. the Knight was 12ft.6in. Les Knight came over to the Island to look at a couple of concerns like moving the trailer bunk back a little as the third axle was carring to much weight .He had a fellow with him that I think was an engineer that had something to do with designing the trailer , I asked him how high the stakes were , he didn't know but stated they had ordered standard stakes for the trailer . I explained to him that the Parpac's were higher and I had to tell the loaders that I could load 6in. higher than the other trucks . A couple of days later Knight sent over new stake tops ,thats why if you look at the truck new the top stakes fold tight to the bottom half of the stake , later they fold down and have a 4in. gap. The contractors who had bought Knight trailers and rigging also were issued longer stake tops.
Thanks for keeping us up on the facts were the doors Pacific . Now that you pointed it out I remember some of Trav Rankins trucks had rather bulky looking cabs , those would be the Inter . cabs ? What years did Pacific's use brand x cabs ? I drove the #40-96 a P16 Pacific Built Aug. 1980 an ex CZ truck that ended up at Timberwest HBO it had a flat dash board in it I actually prefered it to the plastic dash , just simpler and stood up better on gravel roads . The #6-284 was a great truck to drive with the rubber block suspension and the cab bolted to the frame ,if you were over driving it on gravel road you knew it . Not like the trucks today with air bags under the cab . I kept wax on it and there was hardly a mark on it from the headache rack forward , when I washed it ,it still looked great after 300,000 plus KMs on a lot of it,gravel roads , it was a sad day to watch it leave the Division in 1991
When it comes to the Pacific cabs it is kind of a mess, I have yet to nail down exact dates, but there were three cabs used after the discontinuation of the P9 (1974). The final letters in the P500 model number tells you what cab was used... P (P510P/P512P) - First style Pacific cab, on P500 models F or S (P500S/P510S/P512S/P500F/P510F/P512F) - International cab - trucks with steel hood denoted by the S and fibreglass denoted by the F PF or PS (P510PS/P512PS/P510PF/P512PF) - New style Pacific cab - trucks with steel hood denoted by the S and fibreglass denoted by the F When it comes to the bigger trucks, like the P10/12 and 16 I can't find an exact pattern yet. As far as dates and the cab used, it is all over the map. The easiest way to tell the difference between the old and new style Pacific cabs is to look at the front windows. On the new style cabs, the strip of steel between the two front windows is bolted on and the window seal does not continue up the break between the two windows, rather it is one long strip that runs around the outside edge of both windows, the bolted on strip of steel forms the seal between the two pieces of glass. The old style Pacific cab has two distinctly separate windows the holes cut into the front cab skin. International cab - http://www.pacifictruckclub.org/RegDetail.php?SN=T81110-1712 New style cab - single window rubber seal and the steel strip between the windows: http://www.pacifictruckclub.org/RegDetail.php?SN=A01945 Old style cab - two distinct holes cut into cab skin for the window: http://www.pacifictruckclub.org/RegDetail.php?SN=T8156-1656
Murk100 Give my best regards to your brother and coworkers their my heros . I've watched a couple of demonstration drops and I've watched them working on the fire line ,they are just plain amazing . A fire is like a kid let it get out of hand when its small , it just gets woarse as it gets bigger . The Mars does it best work if you can get on a fire before it gets out of hand . I wonder how many millions of dollars in costs and assets would have been saved if the Mars had been sent to Kelowna as soon as they reallized they had a fire with a lake so handy?
I will see if I can find the aprox date of the change...From what I remember the "off road"stuff got the Pacific cab and the on road stuff got the IH cab.Now.....what I don't know is if the off road stuff got the Pacific cab because it was better and would stand up or if IH just didn't have any interest in the off road..Then again it could have been something written in the contract..I remember seeing doors made in house but I don't remember many details about it...My interests at the time were elsewhere....Mainly P-16's and P12's.....Cory
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific dumping at Shoal Island DLS
Renfrew Div. #6-284 loading trailer at Shoal Island DLS trailer reload.
re pacific cabs # 903 , the easy way to see if ihc cab or the real pacific cab is wipers from top of windshield then its cornbinder , from bottom its pacific cab also wish the pics would load up from that page >> ..
Renfrew Div. Ex tra preload trailers at the trailer park at Gordon R. camp.
Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with Madill tank mount tower on lowbed
Renfrew Div. TL6 Washington Trakloader with a Madill grapple yarder on the Brayden M/L
That log in the last photo does not appear to have been cut with a chain saw. Could feller bunchers work in that terrain back then?
Good eye ,but I'm sure it was hand fell, the picture was taken in the early mid 1980's on the Braden Cr. M/L the average timber would have been to big for a Faller Buncher to handle . Unless the faller cleaned up the butt of the log ,I don't think I would have wanted to be in the quarter when he was working ,its an awful clean cut with a piece of holding wood hanging off it.
Renfrew Div. D. Evans Trucking 1985 Kenworth dumping off highway load at Honeymoon Bay DLS
Renfrew Div. #6-244 HDX Hayes parked in front of Gordon R. shop
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific with off highway load for Honeymoon Bay DLS
Renfrew Div. #319 TL15 Washington Trakloader Late May early June 1986 I was issued the #6-284 P510 Pacific I had time to take the truck home and put a coat of wax on it . A series of event happened that took me away from my new ride . Olie Virtanen the operator of the #319 Trakloader was off getting an ankel worked on , the back up operator for the #319 had a major misshap in his family, I was recruited to run the #319 in their absence to make matters worse we went on strike in early July that went on until December , when we got back to work neither operator was back yet , so I spent a couple more days on it until Dave Fothergill bailed me out and I got the #6-284 back for Christmas.
Renfrew Div. P510 Pacific being loaded by the #16-23 Northwest loader known as the Pile Driver.
Renfrew Div. #505 American 7220 log loader rigged up with a super snorkle
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific log truck with #505 American super snorkle in back ground
Renfrew Div. Washington TL6 using a strap to load a big Fir on #6-232 log truck ,with preload trailer shorten up.
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes
Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes log truck , #16-14 American log loader
Man that super snorkel looks mighty long, what a reach that would have, looks like it would take a careful operator to not over load or damage it. Pretty amazing stuff to a person that has never seen anything like that!
I'm not sure how far it could reach out , but it must be getting close to 100 ft. off the center pin of the loader . Your right about having the right person to run it , I didn't keep to close of tabs on it but I think it got bent a couple times and faded away . A friend down at CPS Jordan River ran a similar machine ,he use to load highway trucks with it . If your ever on the North end of the Island theres a welding shop in Port McNeill where they were built , the owners father designed it and he built them , he has a model of one in his office. Cann't remember his name ,but its there.
Renfrew Div. machines parked at Honeymoon Bay DLS office
Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS log sorting area
http://micronmachineworks.com/ d.d.
Micro's snorkle Thanks for all the information, 100' would be quite a reach and make for trouble real fast. Micro's website looks like they build most everything. Next summer needs to hurry up, as I am headed your way, so I can see all this and maybe quit having to ask so many questions.
Thanks d.d. a couple of years ago I was sent up to the North Island with a highway truck to haul out of the Lower Tsitika R. to Eve River DLS . One of those deals that started off on the wrong foot and didn't get any better. Got a call Tuesday mid afternoon to take a truck up to Port McNiell to be at the load site at 5:30 AM ,stop at Nanaimo for radio channels, hit snow north of Sayward fuel stations closed couldn't top up fuel , Dalewood Inn wasn't what it was in 1968. Fought snow out of the Tsitika M/L until Saturday , Saturday night snow turned to rain ,washed out highway and Tsitika M/L so I was stuck in Woss Lake . On Monday I figuired out a way around washed out highway ,fought my way through snow on back roads to Eve R. M/L and headed home . The only good thing was on Wednesday afternoon I blew a piece of flex pipe on the exhaust , MICRON were the only guys I could find to stay late and fix it ,I'm embassrassed I can't recall their names ,but they are a great couple of guys. Thanks again for the help.
I helped put on a few of those supersnorkels at Duke Pt and Northwest bay loadouts. Loaded a couple of the machines onto the barges after they were installed. It is quite something to sit in the cab and look out at all that rigging. I always thought it was like looking up the mast of a large fully rigged sailboat. They are quite the deal to get everything adjusted up with the turnbuckles so it is straight also. They take a lot of space on a barge too if the skipper wants the boom down which they often did if they were going around to the outside. I've still got a few 8 or 10 ft pieces of pipe in my yard from a supersnorkel that was replaced on a rubber tired 075 that was rolled over up the coast and we repaired at the Duncan bay barge ramp. d.d.
A couple of days ago on the highway log truck thread I was made aware of the Deming Logging Show . When I checked out their web sight I found a name I hadn't seen in a good many years Ed Johnson was listed as Champion Speed Climber in 1983-84 . Yesterday I got a call from friend of 50 years passed. It got me thinking of all the fellows I've met and worked with over the years and have lost touch with ,through changes in the Industry Slacklines and Skidders to Highlead to Grapple Yarders to Hoe Chuckers , Fallers to Faller Bunchers . During the War of the Woods when we were losing quota to parks , I wrote a couple poems I'd like to share one with you The Timber Trade by Camptramp In a rural town Called a logging camp I grew to be a man On the west coast of B.C. We followed our fathers Several friends and I We took to the forests To harvest the trees With pride we excepted Hard work, for a decent wage And a life ,in the Timber Trade Where once we stood proud And paid our own way We now look forward To being retrained ,as welfare slaves We now have our doubts As to how we'll get by But having been raised a Logger The tougher things get The harder we try The toughest chore of all Is to swallow our pride
REnfrew Div. #6-280 P510 Pacific with an off highway load for Honeymoon Bay DLS on Gordon R. M/L
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific at Duncan Mall for weekend of National Forestry Week
Renfrew Div #6-284 P510 Pacific
Doris recently sent me an email with photos of a Hayes truck. I can't describe it better than she did so I'll quote her message with a bit of editing. "My brother Wes lives in Chilliwack now and seen an old logging truck on a guys property. He went out and met the guy and got some pictures, and what are the odds of this. Ended up being our Dads old truck #230. The guy bought it at Ritchie Bros. Auction in Surrey. Not sure when and doesn't have any immediate plans with it. Serial # matches what I have seen on the forum. Came with a sand box on the back which was still sitting there beside the truck."
Renfrew Div. An afternoon shifts load count trucks parked at Renfrew yard late 1970's trailer reload in back ground.
Renfrew Div. #663 Skajit telescoping 120 ft. tower #311 Washington TL 6 Trakloader in Pandora area 1971 ( new 1971 ford camoer special )
Renfrew Div. #797 Skajit 120 ft. telescoping tower with IJ-80 winch on tank under carrage Donkey Puncher Mike Green standing by cab.
Renfrew Div. Office that was moved over from Beach Camp , Cook House that was moved down from Harris Cr, camp
Renfrew Div. Fire Warden's Head Quarters , Renfrew's Marshalling area, Part of main shop
Renfrew Div. Truck sheds #6-243 HDX Hayes parked by Crummy sheds at Renfrew mashalling area
Renfrew Div. Loading large Fir in Lens Cr. #6-232 HDX Hayes preload logging truck shortened up Tom Worth Driver . #79 Northwest Model 6 log loader Daryl Quesnel operator . #797 Skajit steel tower Stu Smith opoerator
Renfrew Div. Mike Green grapple yarder operator standing in front of #27-2 Madill grapple yarder with his father Head Carpender Ed Green on his retirement tour
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific at Shoal Island DLS with a respectable load yes I left a little bark on the old CN over head tresle that use to be in down town Lake Cowichan . I didn't have my camera that day, but Mike Ed and Randy in the Shoal Island Shop were always willing to help me out if I had a small problem and Ed use to have a camera with him , thanks again for the pictures Ed
Did they load that biggest log with the tower?
Renfrew Div. #6-284 P510 Pacific log truck #16-14 American American line loader No Vigilant it was loaded one end at a time with an American line loader on a rubber tire carrier its a 500 series 5720 or 5270 ? #16-14 . The fir tree was growing on a side hill and wasn't that heavy for its size ,I can't remember the exact weight but I was under legal weight ,the guys at the scale were so busy looking at the log they didn't notice or chose to ignore that the butt was a little high ( in those days we had a couple of fair guys on the scales you stayed within the rules ,they turned a blind eye if you messed up a little, play games with them and you got lots of paper work ) We still have a couple fair guys on scales but we also have a couple out to justify their existence . Legal height is thirteen ft. six in. usually the'll turn a blind eye if you stay under forteen ft. the old CN over head tresle in Lake Cowichan was about forteen ft. three in and I left some bark on it .
That's an impressive log, no doubt, but it certainly does have some flare. Too bad they couldn't scale it at the butt.
Actually, with metric scale it is measured at both ends.
Hayesno1 on the Pacific truck thread you asked about what HBO stood for . A lot of memories surfaced ,good memories of a simpler time and some of the characters ,mentors, and teachers we had ,when I was rambling on . One of the events we lost for ever was the tales told in the crummy before work and lunch breaks when we had the bigger crews on the high lead and slackline towers ,if you were working with Sid "Skidder" Smith ,Olie Virtanen ,Jim Wier, Morris Trembley Blain Hanna , Fred McMurray the list goes on but there was alwayes some good B.S. Sid had to take first prize , he grew up in Vancouver in the twenties and thirties when is career as a carpenter got side lined in the dirty thirties he found work in the woods. One tale was about hearing about a job opening on the booming grounds on the Fraser River a boom man had drowned. When he went inquiring about it, the forman told him he was to late the guy that pushed him in got the job. With a straigth face he'd tell about in the thrirties and forties, when you were to old to work ,for a going away present you were given a suit case and a hand mirror. A suit case to move out of camp and a hand mirror to watch your self starve to death. One time on a Slack line setting on Braden Creek as Sid went ahead on the Skidding line something didn't feel right ,about the same time the rigging crew heard something and blew stop . While they were waiting for the shop the Super arrived with a set of binoculars , laid down in the landing where he could see the Skidding line fairlead and told Sid to go ahead on it he wanted to see what it was doing Sid tried to talk him out of it , but insisted . So Sid went ahead on the Skidding line he was watching the turn of logs on its way down the hillside and didn't see the Super running around waving his arms . When he dropped the logs in the landing the Skidding line shive was welded to the shaft . After a stern lecture from the Super ,with a straight face Sid agreed casually stating he thought there might have been a problem with the Skidding line fairlead.
Holy Cow you guys 69Hayes just picked up an old BCFP 15 Ton Columbia Trailer unit # 549 Now we just gotta figure out where she came from Vancouver Bay maybe Maybe down Cowichan way. Put on your thinkin caps she had to be behind one of the Kenworths
HDX heres a thought on 69Hayes trailer ,just specutation the #189 a small old off highway Kenworth was dropped off at Renfrew Div along with the #311 a TL6 Washington Trakloader and two cattle car crummies from Vancouver Bay when it shut down . The #189 looked to be in good shape it had a 335 Cummin in it and it only had Seattle stakes on it , in late 1966 or 67 .It was used as a spare truck . It dissappeared around 1969 or 70 when new HDX's started arriving along with the Kenworths #200 201 202 , Don't know for sure but believe they were sent to Malibu up Jervis Inlet . The next time I saw #189 it was at Malibu in 1976 with a water tank on it . Is there any way that trailer could have found its way to the Sunshine coast? The last time I seen the #189 was at Caycuse in 1980 after Malibu shut down .
Its just a short barge ride from Malibu to Sunshine Coast , 189's trailer could be on the Sunshine Coast over night , weather permitting . Here's a few pictures of 190 with a few different looks . These 2 pictures are of 190 after a crash in 1958
Truck #190 after the crash in 1958 , later in 1958 it is all fixed up. Here its hauling some kind of bridge stringers . Its hooked up to another truck with a cable ( trailer pin too trailer pin) towing the second truck backwards with the other end of the load . Picture 4 - #190 with a 3 piece load in 1959
Here she is
These pictures are from Don Yates collection more to come
More Don Yates pictures
More Don Yates pictures v
More Don Yates
The speeder above was built by HAYES and delivered in Mar/48 and the sister speeder unit #123 came in June/48
The speeder above was built by HAYES and delivered in Mar/48 and the sister speeder unit #123 came in June/48 The serial #'s were 8031126 and 8061141
Don Yates has some great pictures thanks for sharing them with us. Where was the picture of #191 taken , I remember it in later years at Renfrew Div. with a Courtenay Heal boom loader on it used as a chunk truck. And where is the picture of the #123 speeder taken I was sent a picture of it that was taken in the old Harris Cr. camp and I'm pretty sure it ended its days on the Beach Camp to Bear Cr. camp run.
Great pictures of older trucks. Had to be tough on the loader man with no stakes to help keep the logs from rolling off.
Great pictures Born2clearcut looks like the Gluelam laminated stringers ,used on new bridge to replace old Railroad trestle/truck bridge across Granite Cr , the first of this type of bridge in the Renfrew area. A fellow by the name of George Milligan who over seen the relocation of Bear Cr. houses moved down to Beach Camp ,was involved with construction of this bridge and many more I think his company was West Van Construction when he was winding down West Van Constr. in the late 1970's , two of his key employee's Niegle Bester and Brian Thacker started their own company. When I was at Nekite River in 1978 they were using BCFP's D8 Cat to put cribing and log stringers in place tied to gether with old worn out haulback ,very humble begining to what would be come Surespan Structures.
HDX learn something new every day, I knew the speeders used on logging R.R. were manufactured ,I just didn't know by who ,Hayes played a large role in the forst industry. I'm pretty sure there was a #123 and #124 at Beach Camp When they shut the R,R. down ,that were in use . There were two others parked I never seen used #140 #141 ? Any record of the other speeders ?
Hi camp tramp I just had lunch with don yates and he says 191 picture was taken at bear creek camp and the speeder was at the same place bear creek he said it was just rebuilt and painted by a fellow named harry warrem and that's why he took the speeder picture.
Is that the same speeder that was still in the bush 10-12 years ago by the yarder and wooden spar?
Hi. There is a fellow here in Langford that built a scale model of that speeder. I think he runs it out at the Sannich Historical tracks. He had it at the model show that was held at the Royal BC Museum years ago. A woman showed up that actually rode on it. Thanks Doug.
camptramp I will let 31 kenworth and Don answer the questions They just asked me to post them. They were classy trucks in their day. The old Corbit/White dump truck had to be the one that later became the rig up goat featured many post's ago! Looks great with BCFP on the door As for the speeder's --there had to be a couple trailer's built also for them. Do you recall seeing any of them No engines in them just a crew type trailer towed behind the speeder???
Just for laugh's did anybody check out the exhaust system on the KW Unit #181. Very interesting. Never saw that before
Forgive my fuzzy memory ,the speeder shown in picture #122 is not the speeder at the old Skidder home tree ,that speeder is probably an old home built one that was used to haul the extra rigging around with the skidder from setting to setting . Can't say for sure but I have seen pictures of #123 speeder at old Harris Cr. camp , I asume that the #122 and #123 were on the Harris Cr. R.R. . When the R.R. on the Harris Cr. side was torn up in 1953 or 54 the speeders were moved to the R.R. on the Bear Cr. side . Rebuilt in the railroad shop at Beach Camp ,when we moved into Port Renfrew in Nov. 1954 I remember 2 speeders that looked like they had fresh paint that were in use #123 and another #12- . I also remember 2 speeders #14- that were parked and looked alittle faded I always wondered why they used the speeders with the older numbers. At the same time the locie in use was the big Heisler # 6 or #16 ? I remember walking past the locie shop and seeing another locie with the front end lifted off the ground by an over head crane in the shop, it was not long after that the #19 Shay locie came out of the shop and was put back into service with a fresh coat of paint . The Heisler was parked beside the shop and I don't ever remember seeing it run again. Yes HDX the speeders had at least one trailer maybe two. One of the speeders was used around camp by Andy Davidson who did everything from dumping the cook house garbage to fixing the plumbing in the family houses. The other speeder was used to go to Bear Cr. for freight or passengers , any thing that was done on the R.R. M/L . That speeder was operated by John Krawchuk , John never married ,when the R.R. was shut down at Renfrew he was transferred to Crofton , where he had a tidy little home on a corner lot . One thing that really up set him was that every dog in Crofton used his favourite shurb to mark its territory. John solved the problem ,with the use of his nephews electric train transformer , on his days off he would sit in his living room with the transformer wired to the shrub pretty soon every dog in Crofton stayed on the other side of the street.
I've ridden in thoughs speeders many times, after the R.R. at Port Renfrew was shut down they were parked by the blacksmith shop along with the Shay locie, they were our play ground until the tracks were torn up and the locies were cut up . We use to have a push car that we found around camp and got it on the R.R. tracks through Beach Camp where the church and a row of houses sit now . There was a slight grade along there ,we would push the hand car up the track until we ran out of steam ,then we would all jump on it and ride it as far as it would go ,then do it all over ,its a miracle nobody lost any fingers or toes ,after a summer of that we were all dam strong . The scrap dealer used the speeders to pick up the rails and haul them down to the pier where the scrap was loaded on a barge . I wonder if any were hauled away in tack to be used any wheres else?
31Kenworth if your taking to Don Yates , could you ask him for a list of truck numbers at Bear Cr. , If they were hauling logs across across the Bear Cr. tresle during the time he drove at Bear Cr. Thanks again .
HDX...I checked out the exhaust on 181, can't see anything in the photo, is it going up through the water tank? Also, looking at the log bunks on the Columbia trailer, curious how the cables work on the log bunks....looks like they keep the stakes verticle or raised when the trailer is loaded, and release them when not under load....is that correct? Are they similar on your LMSWL MacK only with chain instead of wire rope? Camptramp, That 191 is a fine looking truck, makes me want to see more of their equipment. Pictures you have been posting are great, so are the stories that go with them.
If you look at the front of the bunk you will see a release on each side, if you release the pass side the drivers side stake will drop and if you release the drivers side the pass will drop. each of the cables are anchored at one end then loop around the stake back to the opposite side. They have a steel eye on this end that goes to the release that when hooked on pulls it tight by over centering back into place then you put a safety pin in to hold it. When you dump the load you pull the safety pin on the trailer cable opposite to the side you want to dump and bang or pry the release out till it over centers and lets the cable eye go, letting that stake drop then back to the truck bunk to repeat the procedure. Sometimes depending how tight the load is in the bunks they can make a loud bang when they go.Also there's a large spring connected to the stake inside the bunk that will pull the stake back up when the load is dumped if it is tensioned correctly.
Did you notice the width of of the pads on the Northwest log loader ,its the #71 before the cab was elevated I'll post a picture of it with an elevated cab . Don't know if its gospel truth or not ,but I remember talk of that machine starting its life out as a dragline at a placer gold mine. The trucks in these pictures still have cheese blocks , and it shows a truck parked by rail road tracks at the "reload" at the bottom of Bear Cr. M/L where the loads were transferred from the trucks on to a skeleton car for the trip down to the dump at Beach Camp.I wonder how they managed with the load pictured under the pictures of the #71.
69HAYES....Thanks for your info. Did they always work that way, as I'm producing a model to sell of a 1950's vintage LMSWL Mack like HDX's truck. He said they originally had PC&F 12' bunks on them and I believe they had chains instead of wire rope going to the stakes.
I better let HDX answer that question, he can explain how the old cheeseblocks worked along with the Seattle bunks
dmills1419 The Seattle Stakes and bunks were different than the Cheese Block type bunks. You are right about the chains. Big ring on one end of the chain and the other end was welded to the cheese block itself. Cheese blocks just slid on top of the bunk inside a trough. The ring end would go across to the other side of the bunk and wrap around the end and then you dropped the chain link into a slot welded on there for just that purpose. So if you had a one log load you would center the log as best as you could then adjust both chains on each bunk to fit the log to stop it from rolling one way or the other. By doing this what you did was like sliding two wedges together with the log between them. These were always getting flipped out while loading because if the log loader dropped a log hard on the bunks the cheese blocks would jump out and drop down. The original style Seattle Bunks (like on My LM Mack) had a steel rod inside the bunks for each stake. Like 69hayes said the right side would trip the left stake and left side would trip the Right side stake. When these bunks were rebuilt and industry got away from the Seattle Stakes they kept the original bunks and took the short hinged stakes off and added the higher "IDAHO" stakes. They would for the most part cut the guts out of these bunks and install a heavy spring inside with a short rat tail cable out each end of the bunk You would pull it tight and use a couple Crosby clamps to keep it tight.That was how they were adjusted. You would tighten them up just tight enough that you could pull the stake down by hand and when you let it go the stake would stand back up.There was some that had a coil spring added inside the bottom of the stake and they worked just as good. This is when like you said the high stakes were held up with cable straps, with a toggle on each side to trip them There was a place up here called The " Courtenay Machine Shop" and they converted over an unbelievable amount of bunks in the late 50's and early 60's . They also got into building log loader additions that were bolted and welded onto a truck so that it could load itself If memory serves me right they were EEZYWAY booms. That is for another thread along with Venture Booms from Nanaimo. I hope this explains it but if not we can post some pics.
Tom Worth has loaned me his pictures to post all of his pictures will start with T.W. T.W. Renfrew Div. The Bear Cr. tresle being demolished, in its prime , and what is left of it. The #123 speeder crossing the bridge over the north arm of the San Juan River ,also known as Derring's Bridge , on the Renfrew Beach to Harris Cr. camp rail road .
T.W. Renfrew Div. Abirds eye view of the San Juan valley . Renfrew Div. DLS then and now.
Don does not think they hauled logs on trucks over the tresle while he was there but you got him thinking he will let u know. As for the unit numbers he is going to look for you.
tw BCFP Renfrew Div. A young Tom Worth showing off bunk houses at BCFP's new camp at Port Renfrew B.C.
tw Renfrew Div. looking up the top row of houses ,in the family quarters of Beach Camp , Bruce Wilson in his 1966 Pontiac.
tw Renfrew Div. #311 TL 6 Washington Trakloader operator Alex Malahoff 2nd loader Tom Worth
tw Renfrew Div. #311 TL6 Washington Trakloader operator Alex Malahoff 2nd loader Tom Worth.
31 kenworth I've known Don for a number of years from P & R Trucks a gentleman any time Ive had any thing to do with him . I knew he drove Off highway at Caycuse ,but didn't know he drove at Bear Cr. . Not many of that crew around any more especially with their wits about them, hope Don enjoy's many more. Next time I run into him we'll have to have chat about what year he was there and who shared the road with him .
tw Renfrew Div. #314 Model 6 Northwest the loader Ernie Harrison started loading logs on #690 View Sparamatic operator Steve Young
tw Renfrew Div. #690 View Sparamatic operator Steve Young
I know he is a great guy and has all wits. I worked at inland kenworth for 25 years and moved on to P&R 6 years ago and work with don now he works 3 days a week and has lots of stories we have lunch at P&R every Wednesday and he loves seeing this site I will get him going. he is looking for more pictures will keep u informed.
tw Renfrew Div. The end of an era the old yarder on a sled known as the Yellow Canary was the last wooden spar tree . In the summer of 1966 a wooden tree was rasied to take the place of the #665 Skagit steel tower while it was in shop being equiped with an IJ-80 winch . Tom Worth was the yarding engineer on the last wooden tree in Lens Cr. Renfrew Div.
tw Renfrew Div. The old and the new , an old yarder put out to pasture behind a new Timber Toter Renfrew Div. first rubber tire skidder
tw Renfrew Div. I thought that I'd memtion an old friend and long time employ of Renfrew Div. John Macisaac a Cape Bretoner that spent most of his working life on the west coast . He worked hard fished hard and drank hard . He was a Slackline Hook Tender , long and lanky, when he left the landing for the back end ,you had to go like hell to keep up to him as he seemed to just strole along . when we became Fletcher Challege, it wasn't long before John retired and moved back to Cape Breton Island . As we gathered at Honeymoon Bay DLS to wish John well in his retirement , a new FC foreman said a few kind words and presented him with a copy of BCFP First Growth , then asked John to say a few words with his best smile and his Cape Breton drawl he replied : I'm glad I'm gone". I heard this weekend John had broken his leg ,I hope he gets fixed up and enjoy's a few more years of retirement , we all have some great memories of working for him.
tw Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort
tw Renfrew Div. Long time BCFP logger Bill Hanna stands in front of a couple fir logs.
tw Renfrew Div. #319 a new TL15 Washington Trakloader Jake Krugers pride and joy.
tw Renfrew Div. Tom Worth at the controls of the #690 View Sparamatic, looking out from the inside of the cab.
Don Yates photo's
Don Yates photo's
Don Yates photo's
tw Renfrew Div. #690 View Sparamatic #309 TL6 Washington Trakloader
More great pictures the one with the train crossing the bridge is really neat. Wow lots of work to build that bridge. When I get to the forestry page it puts a smile on my face to see so many posts. Means some more pictures and information being shared and enjoyed, thanks.
tw Renfrew Div. #309 TL6 Washington Trakloader operator Howard Heyd
Hello Mr. Camptramp: Thank you very much for taking your camera to work and taking all those pictures and then posting them for us all to see. Almost everyday I go to HEF to see what your latest photos are. I hope you never run out. I am curious, in Posting #994 of this thread, could you identify what the 4-axled mobile A-frame device was used for? It has me scratching my head. Thank you and keep on posting.
tw Renfrew Div. Some of the crew
tw Renfrew Div. The good old days when we had real logs and lots of them
tw Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes Tom Worth driver
tw Renfrew Div. #27-02 grapple yarder crew Don Green landing bucker Lyle Halberg hook tender Leon Jones landing man Jerry Vanbeers loader operator Ken Kruger grapple yarder operator
isn't that the one that garnet is running in contract loggers great photo of the longline on spur 12?
oh god what an ugly crew....first day in the woods was with the "KRUG"...PETE MALAHOFF ON LOADER.
my addition to the leon jones pics
Heres a few pictures taken in 1961 of some bridges using laminated bridge stringers . On page 64 post #955 has a few pictures of truck #190 with a load of strings on it getting unloaded.
few more
More great pictures Born2clearcut #1 is a bridge being built to replace the Sam Cr. tresle ,truck bridge on the old Beach Camp to Bear Cr. rail grade #2 is the bridge crossing the lower Gordon River. #3 4 5 6 is the new Lens Cr. bridge under construction #7 Is the Lens Cr. bridge completed #8 9 is the "Skidder" being hauled across the new Lens Cr. bridge.
Yes thats the loader that Garnet Margetish was running , loading out of the spur 12 long line setting the number would have been Timberwest #54-75 by that time. A 7220 American.
sry missed a couple of pictures that go with post #1015 , #1016
Great pictures that first picture in #1015 shows the stringer in the air being manoeuvered into place . The arch behind the Cat is another piece of equipement that there are few and far between survivors. BCFP use to have an old Cat with a three drum winch for projects like the one pictured .
tw Renfrew Div. #27-48 Madill 122 grapple yarder operator Stu Smith with a birds eye view of things
tw Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with lowbed waiting for #27-48 Madill grapple yarder to load . Tail hold Cat with Bruce Wilson and Don Green watching grapple yarder on lowbed a little off center. Reg Beal helping tie down grapple yarder to lowbed.
tw Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with lowbed , #27-48 Madill grapple yarder on board turning around.
tw Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with lowbed excavator rigged up for use as tail hold hoe.
is that the 122 that got renamed 52-52 with kruger at the wheel?
With so many number changes , I lost track of some machines , but that is Stu on it . I'm pretty sure that machine was purchased when we were still BCFP, it was the first grapple yarder smaller than an 044. I'm pretty sure Stu ran it new. Can you remember the truck number that Bill Williams is checking out ?
tw Renfrew Div. A couple winter pictures
tw Renfrew Div. Got lots of snow better bring out the sand trucks #6-223 and #6-236 HDX Hayes with Smith sanders on them.
tw Renfrew Div. We say good bye to an old friend and senior driver Tony Weber . First picture Tom Worth , Tony Weber ,Reg Beal Second picture drivers Andy Robillilard,Rick Robinson ,Dan Burns,Al Skene ,Tony weber ,Reid Bryson ,John Elliot, Art Nickerson ,Don Orza, Jerry Gergly Woods Forman Reg Beale missing Rex Weaver.
tw Renfrew Div. Long time BCFP employee and the ultamate cat skinner Robbie Young , Started working for BCFP at Bear Cr. camp very young.
tw Renfrew Div. Shop at Gordon River Camp , the original WFI shop is the building with red tin roof after BCFP took it over in early 1980's they built the addition to the left. Inside in the main part of the new addition the over head crane from the Rail Road shop from Beach Camp and used in the shop at the DLS at Port Renfrew was used again , it would lift just about any thing that needed lifting in a logging camp shop . It along with a lot of good "Stuff" was scrapped or destroyed when Timberwest sold off TFL 46 then contracted out its private lands.
HEY HEY Whats with the side heavy load on old 236???? Were we only sanding one side of the road Would have been a bummer to lift the box like that!!!!
gotta be after the merger...George balogh on the culvert truck.
gordie parlee's truck....Grierson 2000, bruce Wilson loaded it.
tw Renfrew Div. Loading #319 TL15 Washington Trakloader on lowbed ,#6-263 P16 Pacific.
tw Renfrew Div. Tom Worth in front of #6-263 P16 Pacific , American 7220 on lowbed but I'm not sure which one could be the #505
tw Renfrew Div. Jerry Gergely in front of #6-281 P510s Pacific he got new in spring 1986
tw Renfrew Div. Former loader operator , then truck dispatcher Alex Malahoff , I've was told when Alex ran the #95 Washington Trakloader as a tong machine he could cast the tongs out to the next log needed like he was casting a lure with a fishing rod .
tw Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with #505 American 7220 rigged up with a super snorkel on lowbed.
tw Renfrew Div. A road side meeting Les "Horrible" Hillard loader operator, Paul Ropponen landing bucker, Eric Ropponen head rigger, Bob Murant superintendent, Rick Robinson log truck driver, Roy Johnson handyman charge hand .
that's one **** of a Renfrew pic right there...sad to here of the recent passing of "ranger roy"....but we still have horrible and ropey fighting the good fight.
It is so sad to see 6-236 in the awful state she is in now. In posting 1028 she looked just like the sandtrucks we all had! All well looked after and ready to go. They use her for spare parts all summer long now in Sarita then when the snow flies they run around like a bunch of ##### trying to figure out what happened to it. Just like the EX BCFP fire tankers we have--just beat em into the ground Don't check anything Don't do anything . God some don't even have rear view mirrors anymore There is not one of them that has even had an oil change since we had them. The old line horse (6-246) that was in as close to mint condition when she came down there is just being stripped of her parts Both doors have been gutted I kid you not they just ripped the door panels off and bent the window tracks and tore out the parts they needed-- everything inside all scattered around like a mad womans crap and then just left the doors wide open to the elements this is to ensure that the door hinges would rust solid in the open position. Also that everything inside is wet all year round we make sure the windows are left in the down position-- that is if they even still have door glass in them The other tankers are only there for a parts supply Rad caps fuel caps are taken and then the fuel tanks fill up with water OH WELL they just drive them anyway. Roar into the yard with them and abandon them till next year-- God forbid they should be fueled up at the end of the season. It makes me sick to see this happen because they were looked after all their working time in the woods. Windshield wipers are torn off them because we cant get new ones I guess, when they wont work they just throw them in the dumpster. The sand truck does pee me off because guys lives depend on it to function when it is needed. They all knew the snow was coming but OH WELL go out and see what you can do. ONE PIECE OF CRAP grader and one very tired sandtruck THAT IS IT!!! Yesterday was a good example of what we do First thing is get the sandtruck out there we need it OH YA we didn't check it out so OK just put a guy on it to drive it that has never even driven a Smith style sander before and go see what you can do. Yesterday I went up to the heli to get a load(WFP Alberni Region) now has a deal with Air Crane where they fly the logs to the very top of the mountains instead of somewhere that would make it a little easier for us to haul from in adverse weather conditions!! By the time I got up there the snow was starting to pile up so I told the supersnorkle operator that I would just park in the turnout down the road out of the way. We wont even try to load . Why-- there is several switchbacks and it is pure ice underneath No water no hope. About this time it came to me DONT BE A DUMMY HEAD FOR THE CRUMMY. Good nite old girl We will see you in a few days. It is a shame that this is what the logging industry has come to!!! I can see what is happening because all the equipment that the big three had for all those years is now finished. Sad story but a true one I will post pictures to substantiate this story. Ashamed and embarrassed YOU BET!!!
I hear you HDX , thats why I'm hauling pebbles around town now . It was tough to watch a good shop and crew dismanteled ,all the things we lobbied for tore down and destroyed. Lets cut up a perfecty good trailer reload that a driver can load his own trailer with in a couple of minutes and replace it with a small crane that only the shop crew are allowed to run , then it takes two mechanic's ten minutes to load a trailer so its ready for morning thats twenty minutes the guy's should have been pulling wrenches . Theres a Cat 980 stacker around camp we used to ajust our loads with ,if we were heavy on one end or alittle over weight . We were trying to get our loads up to max legal weight . Somebody took a couple of bean poles off and left them in camp ,a no no with Foresty ,instead of getting wholed of the guy that did it and making sure he came through camp light the next trip and load the bean poles back on a truck and get them out of camp . They take the Cat 980 away , so now every body loads light becaues you can't fix a load if its heavy and we cross the scales every trip. And lets tear out that truck wash isn't it better to travel down the highway with 500 to 1000 KGs of mud rather than pay load and dosen't puplic image count if it looks like a beat up pig sty whos the DOT going to pull over to inspect. Its tough to get up in the morning and get at her with a positive attitude ,when your wearing a "Boom chain" around your neck. A guy from Teal Jones asked me how it was going , I just replied , To hell in a hurry . I'm getting high blood pressure just thinking about the mess the powers that be have made of the industry , old John Mcissac said it best " I'm glad I'm gone ".
I hope the powers to be wake up soon, to bad the bean counters can't be made to use the poorly taken care of equipment instead of a calculator for a while. Sorry that things are going to hell in a hand basket! A few people around here wait till the weather is bad and then, want something done right now. I used to try and get it done for them, doing what ever it took. Like now the city wants holes dug for new light poles. It is 5 degrees this morning, now didn't they think it was going to get ever get cold and the subdivision has been there for years. I told them I would do it a month ago, but they weren't ready yet. Yesterday they decided they were ready, could I hurry over there before it gets to cold.
camptramp--dirty4fun The deck is stacked against us! We are not suppose to be capable of independent thought. Just go to work Do your job and go home. Pick the battles you can win. I keep buying lottery tickets and god help them all when I finally connect cause i'm here to tell you there will be a lot of VERY HAPPY old trucks NOT in the forest industry anymore I just happen to have a nice spot all picked out where they can all be parked even the parts ones. Trailers to the right Trucks to the left!! Let them just soak up the sun !
Well said HDX, Amen
HDX is a man with a plan. If you need help getting them to that special spot I know you can count on me and many others to help you. Hope it is a winner real soon for you.
wm Caycuse Div. Climax locie pulling loaded skeleton cars through Caycuse camp to the dump on Lake Cowichan . Good shot of the Caycuse locie shop in back ground.
wm Caycuse Div. #6-230 HDX Hayes near new in 1969 driver Ken McKechnie ,with tin hat on , At A Frame wet dump . These pictures were sent to me by Ken McKechnie's son Wes McKechie long time Donkey Puncher at Caycuse ,later Timberwest . Any pictures I post of Wes will start with wm .
The pictures you guys share are down right amazing to me. Like the last one I had never thought about it, but seeing the whole load of logs being lifted at once makes sense. Sure not going to take few logs off at a time. What a learning experience for me, I want to keep learning so you keep posting your pictures and thanks for doing so.
When dumping with an A frame configuration one line usually the haulback drum holds the spreader bar above the load ,centered above the load . Then the main line,with the help of heal blocks to increase the lifting power ,is used to take the weight of the load . Lifting the load just clear of the bunks,the water side stakes are tripped , then the line holding the spreader bar over the load is released as the load swings out over the water clear of the truck ,the main line holding the the load in the air is released ,allowing the load to drop into the water . Theres what they call L hooks on the shortest set of lifting straps and a knob on the longest set of the lifting straps , the L hooks are spring loaded when theres weight on them they stay locked but when they go slack in the water the knobs are released . The rigging is lifted in the air and positioned for the next load .
camptramp More than one guy got his front teeth adjusted with those MARR HOOKS LOL
tw Renfrew Div. #16-15 American 7220 log loader walking off lowbed
tw Renfrew Div. Excavator walking up on lowbed.
Thanks for getting the name right on the Marr Hooks ,never had a lot to do with them . Did straps on that Hayes mobile A Frame at Renfrew DLS one day in 1966 . Had time on Parbuckle dump machines at BCFP Nekite R. and O'conners Bute Inlet . When I was at Pacific Logging Sooke Div. ,the loader I was running in Dec. 1978 got snowed in , I was asked if I could run a winch ,so I pointed out that a loader was an winch , next question could I run their A Frame ,you bet ,so I got a crash coarse on their A Frame . Pacific Logging had an inland DLS a couple miles from the water ,during the day they sorted and made up log bundles on afternoon shift they would use a couple of preload log trucks with widened out bunks to haul five bundles of logs at a time down to the wet dump . All went well until the third night , in front of the A Frame there was a rock under the surface of the water, at low tide or when we were dumping Hemlock bundles , the bundles would get hung up on the rock and wouldn't float away and the dozer boat couldn't move them . It was a comon occurence and they had an old Marion shovel rigged up with a straight boom and a clam shell bucket for dredging , parked by the waters edge ,to swing over the rock and drag the bundles free . All the home guards had broke in running shovels and loaders on an old Lima that had the mainline on the left foot , so all their loaders were set up with the mainline on the left foot . The first time I climbed on that old girl in the dark , got it fired up and reached out to clear the grounded bundles was quite an adventure.
Thanks for the explaining how the A frame works, I wondered how they got the slings unhooked. The picture of the American log loader I see it has smooth pads. I would of thought it some bars, to help it keep from sliding around. Could make for an interesting ride at times, it would seem.
You have to remember most of the equipment in the logging Industry was borrowed or modified from other Industries . Loaders are grade shovels and cranes with the house , guarding , loading gantry and boom built on an American or other manufactures turntable and tracks they were ment for level ground . Usually there are acouple of lugs welded on each pad to get some traction on ice or snow . Madill ,Washington and Skagit were manufactured for use in the logging Industry. Even the winches used on yarders were originally adapted from sailing ships and mines . Henry Norman a high rigger who came to Vancouver Island with the first skidder from Louisiana, was born in Finland and worked in the rigging on sailing ships,until he was recruted to rig spar trees in the logging Industry.
tw Renfrew Div. Terry Steeves with a load of pulp on a self loading Pacific highway truck getting ready to leave Honeymoon Bay DLS for Shoal Island DLS.
Regarding Marr hooks, is this a different manufacturer, or are you talking about the old Mar Hook from years ago, that is still alive? http://www.arrow-cranehoist.com/marproducts.htm
Vigilant I scoped out the MAR stuff and didn't see anything that resembled the ones we were talking about. Could very well have been from them I will track one down and take a picture of it They were not a hook at all but we referred to them as such! will see what I can come up with Maybe somebody else on here has a close-up of one.
That outfit has been around for years. They originated in Aberdeen, WA, where I was born, and mostly built trailer hoists, from what I saw.
Raising a A-frame dump machine , going by the year 1973 i'm guessing this is Caycuse dump ( maybe someone could confirm this ) . I tried to lighten up the pictures but they just didn't look good .
Yes...that is caycuse.
Caycuse Div. Heres a picture of Caycuse A Frame after it was retired about 1981-82
pulling the Calgary flag pole out of caycuse..
tw Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS and Booming grounds.
jim hagans favorite job(other than bucking) was drilling the boomsticks
I walk by two of them every Morning ( they are hanging on the dump rigging) .Will try to a picture for you tomorrow
I kind of thought you might jump in here and save the day 075 LOL There just are not that many hanging around anymore Thanks
This is what a Marr Hook looks like when under load. You will see that the knob has pulled down and down past the flapper that is hanging above it. When there is no load on the Marr Hook you have to push the flapper up with the knob, and when the knob in in the Marr Hook the flapper falls down and holds the knob in . As soon as you pick up on the load with the dump machine, the knob pulls down as in the picture. And will stay there until the load is released by putting it in the water and then the knob is kicked out of the Marr Hook and the dump rigging is free of the load.
tw A gathering of mostly ex BCFP guys when Tom Worth retired . Thanks for sharing the pictures Tom.
HDX: It almost sounds like you are setting up a recruitment campaign for the oilsands...Nothing but the best of equipment, with a whole fleet of graders, bulldozers, rubber tired dozers, scrapers and sand trucks and a shop full of mechanics all working hard to keep the trucks hauling 24/7/365. Still not as much fun as logging used to be, but this is now and that was then. Still miss the days when MB and the other big outfits that cared ruled the woods on the coast.
Well DBDLS this is what the industry has wanted for a long time! The large timber tenure holders want all the small guy fighting over every block they harvest -Its like they are throwing them a bone and saying cut cut cut that rate down Be creative with your numbers. BCFP M&B and Crown Z and a ton of others all paid their guys well for what they did. Then the black days arrived and here we are now. You have all seen what has happened to the accident rate--look back a few years to when we were killing a guy a week in the industry. WHY because industry got rid of all the experience and figured that the new generation would just step up and fly at it!! SOME smaller companies are expected to have proper safety programs in place and to hold safety meetings BUT NOT ALL so it is a double standard and I can back this statement up with facts!!! As for young guys coming into this industry WHY WOULD THEY EVEN BOTHER! They get treated like crap and don't even get paid what they should be(New pay scale now for new guys entering the industry) Hell even our landing buckers have different pay grades! I try and tell the young guy Go to Alberta At least you get treated with dignity and respect. Out here we got guys that took some very lucrative buy outs and went down and signed up for their IWA pension THEN went back to work non union so they can collect their pensions as well as their Canada pension and then work out a deal with the employer where as they can work 7 days a week all the hours they want. How is a young guy suppose to compete with them? No-- industry is getting back just what they put into it! Too Bad because there was a lot of top grade loggers out there that just threw in the towel and walked away. They didn't turn their back on the forest industry IT DISCARDED THEM!
OK Its over!!!!! NO MORE RANTS Im sorry if I have offended anybody! It had to be said and that's IT!
HDX, it's the same everywhere,I'm ok jack you go get @#$#@##.In some places guys retire, then come back to work in the same occupation but don't have to pay back into the pension system and the company saves money by not having to put there share in too. Soon we won't have a pension plan.
I hear you guys, that's exactly how I felt after I was laid off at Menzies. I was lucky enough to work in Port McNeill for six months, there it was like M&B was still running things. Unfortunately I had the feeling Weyerhaueser was going to come in and clean house, so when I had another opportunity I took it. Sadly Weyerhaueser did clean house about six months later.
HDX It is ranting just stating facts. The only ones you might offend are the ones that are guilty of what you stated.
bc Renfrew Div. Bruce Christison has loaned me his pictures to post and share . I start with a bc top left of page that are his pictures. #797 120ft. Skagit telescoping tower . Towering up.
bc Renfrew Div. Just a couple pictures of a turn of logs coming into, landing the hard working Hooker in last picture is Bruce Wilson
bc Renfrew Div. A premium unit that found its way to Renfrew Div. around 1967 or 68 a 90ft. Madill mounted on an old logging truck looks like something you got to run if you were in the penalty box.
bc Renfrew Div. #74 a 80D Northwest log loader Nick Kerluke loader operator . Nick was a great guy with a hell'va sense of humuor. In 1969-71 I was landingman for Ernie Harrison on the #79 Model 6 Northwest log loader , when ever he was ahead of things or things were slow he would climb off the loader and take a walk or play a joke on smeone , Ernie was always up to something. When he was off the loader ,he'd let me practice on it , the first thing he told me was not to glaze up his frictions by slipping them (they were manual levers) pull the levers all the way in. I was moved over to Nicks side for a few days one time . Nick was old school ,you helped him grease the grapples and the tracks he'd let you on his loader . The first time he let me on his loader , he stood behind me , I swung over grabbed a log and pulled in the lever for the mainline .Nicks behind me hollering at me not to pull on the lever so hard ,he was an old master at setting thoughs old hand jamers up . He had the frictions set up so they toggled in themselves in . Fast forword a couple of years I was running the #74 80D Northwest log loader . On a summer shut down I was padman for Nick on a hydraulic P&H grade shovel building road , one hot day Nick got off the shovel to go down the grade to get a drink of water. As he climbed off he caually said to me " if you promise not to tear the levers out of her ,go ahead and dig some grade"
That's one good looking hooker. I especially like the pants. Granville Street, here we come:drinkup
bc Shoal Island DLS Chapman 1800 sorting logs
bc Shoal Island DLS What Bruce Christison use to see every morning a Cat 980 ,the Shoal Island shop in back ground with Letourneau stackers .
wm Caycuse Div. #6-230 HDX Hayes Logging truck.
wm Caycuse Div. #6 -230 HDX Hayes pulling Long Tom water tanker . Water tanks were saved when BCFP switched from rail road logging to truck logging and mounted them on old logging truck trailers.
bc Shoal Island DLS The View of a DLS from the cab of a Cat 980
bc Shoal Island DLS Pictures of the booming grounds with boom crew hard at work.
bc Shoal Island DLS Early morning sunrise over Saltspring Island
That's actually a 988B, big machine!
Thanks for the correction ,we'll get it right eventually.
wm Caycuse Div. 200 ft. flag pole harvested from Caycuse loaded on CN rail road cars at Youbou destened for Calgary Olympices 1981
wm Caycuse Div. Picture #1 is #779 View Spar in 1973 Picture #2 is #774 View Spar in 1980 with #317 a TL6 Washington Trakloader.
wm Cowichan Logging Caycuse #779 Originally on a wooden sleigh, IJ-90 slackline winch
Sorry for the messed up posting having a little re sizing grief
wm Caycuse Div. #774 View Spar steel tower with #317 TL6 Washington Trak loader
wm Caycuse Div. #779 View Spar IJ 90 Skagit slack line winch was originaly on a wooden sleigh
wm Caycuse Div. Another sad day for BCFP employee's a great picture of Caycuse office is on page 19 posting #274 fast forward to a day in 1993 all thats left of it
Picture 1- 1965 is the picture camptramp is talking about . Picture 2 - 1969 is what it would look like today if still standing ( lots of snow here today )
Look at that cool old Willy's and 4WD Apache
Thanks for the pictures Born2clearcut . There use to be a fellow I don't know his offical title that over seen the logging operations at Renfrew and Caycuse Div. by the name of Harry Hobson I believe he drove the Willy's jeep . The trucks in the second picture are Dodge or Fargo's the one on the left is about !958 the one on the right is mid 1960's . The winter of 1968-69 was a tough one lots of termination dust . Started snowing Boxing Day 1968 backed off around New Years went back to work for three day's after New Years , snow during the day froze at night ,the camp at Renfrew Div. shut down . The full crew didn't get back to work until mid March 1969 . I was pulling rigging up Granite Creek in snow up to my chest , we had shovel's to dig for log's with.
wm Caycuse Div. #774 View Spar slackline tower, #317 TL6 Washington Trak loader
wm Caycuse Div. Denabo "DANYBOY" our first skycar 1991
wm Caycuse Div. #27-17 Madill 046 slackline yarder , #313 TL-6 Washington Trak loader yarding and loading a 9ft. 6in. Douglas Fir on Br. F3 1987
wm Caycuse Div. more big fir F3
wm Caycuse Div. #313 TL-6 Trak loader loading big fir on #228 HDX Hayes log truck
Got to love those Washington Tong Grapples, they would bite into any over sized log and hang on. No good in small wood though.Little logs would just slide through it.
If you look back through the postings of the 309 or 311 TL6 Washington Trak Loaders at Renfrew Div. ,when the #309 arrived at Port Renfrew new . Alec Malahoff was the first operator on it he didn't like the scissors grapples that came with it . He and a welder by the name of Lefty Marsh modified them to Alec's liking . They were hanging off the boom of thoughs TL6's from 1958 to the mid 1980's when they were retired. A lot of that time though's machines were double shifted.
I ran one on the first Super Snorkel I ran a 7220 with an 90' snorkel. Use to have three of them ,one on the machine, one in the pickup as a spare and one in the shop being put back together. The length of the snorkel pulled the Haulback arms off the grapple on a regular bases. Butch Long the Snorkel operator in Port McNeill modified one that used chains instead off fixed arms. Really good for yarding big wood but sucked big time in smaller wood. In about 1986 or so Lothar Dolamar (Micron) Jim Beise (WFP Forman)and me put or heads together and came up with what turned out to be Microns Yarding Loading & yarding Grapple. Lothar did the planning and building and Jim and I tried out the first grapple and added our suggestions to make it work better.The roller on the mainline was one of my ideas A little harder to open but hung on much better in all types of wood. I still have the plans for a tong grapple in my basement.
I wondered how the tong could pick up such a big log. Then looking closer, while the tong might be helping that choker going around the big log is doing quite a bit of the lifting. If it was just the tong picking up the angle of the that large log would be quite different than it is.
wm Cowichan Logging #779 View Spar tower Skagit IJ-90 winch
wm Cowichan Logging #6-250 Hayes HDX preloader logging truck Tennis Cr. in Nitinat Valley
wm Cowichan Logging FMC 1980
wm Cowichan Logging Logs like they use to be, 1985
camptramp It has been a long time since I saw old 6-250 with the side panels still on the hood!!! Also couldn't help but notice the recaps on the steering axle. Over on our side we never would have them on the trucks due to high speeds and what not Just could not depend on them. Too many heat separations!!! We had a truck that we borrowed from Sproat Lake Division H131 and one from Menzies Bay Division H217 just while we were expanding the Carmannah haul and H131 came over with recaps on the steering axle. One day the driver was cruising along and could not figure out what was going on but it was the R/F tire coming unglued and sure enough the cap wound itself around the hub and tore off the front wheel brake booster. Hell of a job getting it all cut out of there. We only had them for a short time and then they went back.
HDX Renfrew Div. didn't run recaps on the steering axle either , I can't recall running them on the drivers either . I'll bet your wondering where the side panels got to , two original Hayes emblems are somewheres LOL Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Same to all you guys down there camptramp
6V53 and an Allison, I'll bet.
6V53 and Clark transmission, the allisons only went into the military version
don't you guys take xmas off?
wm On posting #1104 Wes tells me the yarder did the lifting while the loader guided it into place. And yes the loader did have trouble getting a "bite" on it. This is taking Christmas off caycusion in 2008 it started snowing on about Dec. 16 I plowed and sanded roads from 4AM to 4Pm right through Christmas Eve Christmas Day Boxing Day took New Years Eve off was back on the road New Years Day 4AM . So this is taking Christmas off . LOL
wm Caycuse Div. an early picture of a Climax Locie crossing a bridge work on water front of Camp 6 near rail road wet dump on Lake Cowichan
Took some pictures of this today. I figure that this is a really cool, complete old piece so why isn't someone trying to save it? For that matter, who even owns it now? What type of trailer is the tank sitting on? Hayes? Reg
Its a water tanker left over from the railroad days at Port Renfrew ,mounted on an early Hayes trailer from the #203 to #212 Hayes HDX vintage hard to say who owns it now. Probably one of the few left, use to be about six at Renfrew Div.
The tanks on those trailers must be 60-70 years old? I would like to bring it home and sit it in my yard!
Yea, they're riveted
They could be a lot older than that , they were probably surplace from the CPR or some other large R.R. company in the 1920's to 1940's when they started life on a logging rail road.
RCP57 We are trying to figure out who owns it also We been measuring it up to tow behind old 209. 207 has a trailer and proper seattle bunks and 208 use's the 36ton Hayes trailer off my LM Mack and we were kicking around the idea of using 209 with that in tow.We have a 5th wheel lined up for her. The trailer is a 1954 --36 ton log trailer that was converted over to tanker duty as the trucks were converted over to sanding/linehorse and firetanker duty's. See what you can do down that way If you need it or want it go for it as long as it is saved. Don't know how many others are even still around. If you look between the 510 and the BCFP welded numbers on the trailer body there on the side you will find numbers stamped into the trailer body It will say serial 40815##. Also look at the front leg assy. The cross piece is 1/2 of a Seattle bunk. See all the rivits and the tripping assy still on there.They cut the bunk in half and welded braces onto the bunk and up to the tank Looks like small stakes but they aren't. These were the bunks off those trailers One of them still had the wear plates still on it.
Thanks for all the info HDX. I hope someone can save it! I could never afford to buy it and move it but we do have plenty of space to store it.lol I guess I am a hoarder but I find it really frustrating that this stuff gets picked off by vultures... I got an email from a friend of mine last night that is a member here but doesn't post. It just so turns out that he was out in Renfrew yesterday as well and after driving by countless times, stopped to take these pictures at Masachie Lake. He spends a lot of time hiking and exploring(Not a tree hugger but a logging enthusiast lol) the area and has quite a few pictures of things left to rust in the bush from all over the BC coast. I am trying to convince him to start posting on his own but he has sent me some things to post for him... Any history lessons on this one? It looks to have 24" tires and walking beams so is it a smaller, older trailer? The tank is much larger too by the looks of it.
That is an ex Renfrew Div. Long Tom Water tanker it was the biggest water tanker in the fleet . Tried to hook up to it for a fire but it was to heavy for the #222 HDX Hayes 5th wheel ram to lift ,had to hook up to the next smaller one 7000 or 8000 gallon tanker. For owner ship start with Timberwest or Teal Jones
camptramp You did it when she was full of water How about if it was empty? So this means that there is still two of them around!
HDX Renfrew Div. had a operational fire in about Nov. 1981 , up above the Harris Cr. summit ,you could almost see the Gordon River camp . All the fire equipment had been taken back to camp at Port Renfrew . There is an old gravel pit on the Gordon River M/L about a mile out of Renfrew camp where they stored the Long Tow tankers when not in use . I was driving the #222 at the time and I was the closest preloader to Renfrew camp when the call came in to get some water heading to the fire . There were 5 or 6 tankers parked there and I tried the biggest one , the old girl couldn't lift it full so I grabbed the next smallest one and got on my way. Theres a picture of a 5 or 6000 gallon tanker and a picture of a 10000 gallon tanker and their both ex Renfrew Div. tankers hard to say might be others hidden around the claim .
OK camptramp Whack Whack Whack That's the sound of us all beating the bush's!!!!
I'm glad I posted those pictures! Digs up more memories from you guys and gives me more to read and learn. HDX, Tell me about the trailer under the 10000 gallon tanker. Why does it have walking beams and not leaves? Older? Newer? Different size? Reg
RCP57 She probably broke her spring packs over time and it would be cheaper and easier to just fabricate and stuff home made walking beams under her. Remember these were 35Ton trailers and I think maybe with a full load of water they might have been a tad over that capacity. That and the fact they were 3/4 inch spring leaves to begin with (small springpacks). They sure were a good idea for fire fighting. Man lots of water in a hurry Love the push block on the tail end so another truck could help the driver by pushing him up the hill. Funny though -if the front truck was a standard trans truck and the push truck was an automatic the front driver would have a lot less shifting to do!!!
Reg I can almost see the serial number on the trailer right there above the tires. It is on that triangle part of the trailer body under the 80-18 right where that little hole is. As a matter of fact the hole will probably remove part of the number.
That makes sense! I'm happy that my wife and I went for a drive yesterday. Not only was it nice to spend the afternoon driving around with her on the logging roads, but now we have seen some more of the stuff that I read about on here in person. It's cool to see the off highway equipment. It reminds a guy how big the stuff is! Too bad the glory days of logging are all gone!
Camptramp,I thought this a better site to chat,so did you know Cecil Clarke? I met him as he was a friend of the boys who drove for Irvine Olsen at Nitinat.
Yes I knew Cecil Clark from a round Renfrew , he drove comuter bus out of Renfrew for a good many years , occasionally when someone was on holiday's or off work for some reason and there was no spare driver , he would take a logging truck out for a load . Good log truck driver , I guess he'd had enough of the old bone shakers and liked driving bus.
Cecil lived in Chemainus so the trip to Renfrew,was it the same route as the newer paved road?
When Cecil started driving comuter bus the road started from Masachie Lake as gravel ( the old Hillcrest M/L ) following the route over the height of land by Lens Lake down the switch backs ,through what was known as the Hillcrest Gate . That section of road was on Pacific Logging's holding . At the hillcrest Gate that road joined BCFP's Harris Cr. M/L ,it continued gravel until about 12 miles out of Port Renfrew where it became pavement to Renfrew . BCFP had that section of the Harris Cr. M/L paved in about 1964. So yes that was the road recently upgraded and paved and is now known as the Pacific Marine Route.
Thanks for that
thanks for the update...this is what I was talking about in the paved roads links I added....maybe you have some pics of the the big guys on the pavement...and when it was put in....seems like a big expense back in the day...thanks rob wilkin
Great webpage. I'm seeing a lot of people that I worked with in Renfrew in the mid 60s. I do have some pictures that would fill in a few spots. I logged on the top of Garbage Creek, the Burma road,Harris Creek,logged the first cut on the Gordon River,Granite Creek,Lens Creek slide area,spur 14 on Harris creek and a few other side hills as well. I started on an old skidder around Bear Creek, then went on #3slackline, the Square Burger Tower and a few others. Great pictures bring back a lot of good memories. Len Burton
Welcome aboard Len long time no see . Often wonder where a you guys got to . Ever run into Rick B. he was chasing when you were second loading . I think you were one of the characters in one of Don Browns drawing of the crew heading back to the bunk house after thursday night at Palmers Palace in the "old roadster" on the wall at the camp coffee shop. Any pictures you have would always be welcome .
Hi Steve, Rick Bialkoski and I are still around. Still friends after all of these years. I second loaded for a few different loaders,Pete Malahoff, Alex Malahoff,Oli but his last name escapes me,Howard Hyde, and Nick Kerluke. Nick was the best loader I worked with and I with him for quite a while. When I started setting chokers the first setting I was on was on the Burma road. The bear creek tressle and three rivers tressel were still being used then. Long way to the bottom.Bill Dingee was the engineer,Fred McMurray was the hook tender. Then I moved to #3 Slackline on top of Garbage Creek. Rolly Kennedy was the engineer,Blain Hanna was the hooker, Howard Hyde was the loader, Harvey Bennett was the second loader, Dutchy Kaspers was the riggin slinger. Rick Bialkoski,Lorne Smith,and I set chokers there was a fourth chokerman but I can't remember his name. Chris Mearnes was the whistle punk. When the snow came in the fall we moved to spur 14 just past the Hillcrest gate. Attached are a few pics to see how they work for you. The one pic is me before I went second loading,the pics infront of D&E bunkhouse are Gary Muir on the left,me on the right and LLoyd Serico in the bunkhouse window. The 3rd pic is #3 slackline.
Great pictures Len , I started punking whistles on the " training side " along side the slide area Lens 6500 on the new #665 Skagit tower Feb 1966 couple of guys from Victoria were setting chockers Ken Kruger pulling rigging I think Rick B. chasing you were second loading Jim Wier running yarder Pete M. running loader Bruce Wilson tending hook and Fred McMurray " trainer". Shortly after I graduated to setting chockers on the #717 Berger Tower on Hemmingsen Cr. , since then I've run rubber tire skidder out Rocky Point way to pulling rigging on the Queen Charlette Islands with quite a few stops in between. Olie Virtanen was the loaders last name. When you mention Nick Kerluke ,I always remember what a cool guy he was to work with and always something funny happening around him. Do you remember Kaye Peterson the big Dane who drove the #225 log truck ? One time he was hauling from Nick , he was leaving with a load after lunch and asked Nick if he would be getting another load that day? Nick said he didn't think so . Kaye heads for the dump ,gets dumped loads his trailer asks the truck dispatcher Pat Robertson where to go ,Pat says to go back to Nick ,he won't have another load say's Kaye ,go back he'll find you a load . On the way back ,the woods foreman Bob Robertson stops Kaye to say Nick won't have another load ,what are you going to do . When Nick picks up my trailer I'm heading for camp says Kaye. Kaye backed into the landing when Nick picked up his trailer with the loader Kaye headed straight for camp ,Bob Robertson stopped him on the M/L and asked him what he was going to do when he passed the dispatch shack . Kaye's reply I'm going to blow my horn. Kaye went back the next morning to hook up to his trailer. Logging use to be a lot more fun with some of thoughs characters around.
Does anyone have any photos of the door artwork? from the beginning to the end of BCFP would be of great help. Planning out the next batch of projects. Thanks Ap40
Heres a couple door pics picture 1 = 1958 picture2 = 1960
Nice, those will help, In fact i might just have to build both of those rigs as in the photos. 1st one looks like a KW 848, w/ 12 or 14' bunks. The second would be a HDX, flex frame? w/ 14' bunks....???? Ap40
door image here's another one
Fantastic. Any of the later Orange & green with white stripe trucks? Ap40
Hi Steve, Did those last pictures of the Slide area I sent come through? What ever became of the Drawing that Don had in the coffee shop ? Len
Hello Born2clearcut. I (Bruce) moved to Harris Creek with my parents (Art and Pearl Wilson) when I was 4 in 1949. I lived there up until 1962 when they moved the camp to Beach. Grew up knowing your family and asked your Grandpa for my first job in 1962 just before camp was moved. Myrna was more my brother's (Don) age who also worked at Harris Creek. Enjoy reading your posts.
All these names are bringing back a lot of good memories. When we logged the slide area in Lens Cr with the Burger Tower (square tower) I (Bruce Wilson) was hooking on it and my dad was the operator. This was just before my dad retired in 1965. My problem now is trying to remember names and faces. I am not like camptramp who has a fantastic memory. + +
The picture of the lettering on the #203 in posting 1149 would be from 1954 and was hand painted. The lettering on the #190 door would be from 1958 or 59 , as the truck was wrecked and rebuilt its not the original lettering. The lettering on the cab in posting 1151 is a decal used in the 1960's into the 1970's . The truck in the picture is a 1986 Pacific on its first load also a decal.
Haven't seen any pictures of the slide area Len . I don't know what happened to the pictures Don had on the walls in the coffee shop . Don spent quite a while working on the DLS ,had some great drawings on the walls down there too. One was a drawing of the Leturno stacker with the caption Murrày`s Worry and another one of Burly Bowler trying to get on the Kenworth stacker when it was moving , Brian Emerson took him for a ride around the DLS hanging on to the bottom rung of the ladder for dear life Don`s drawing`s caption was Evil Emerson Strikes Again . Don did thoughs ones in colour ,but they disapeared for a while ,then copy`s showed up in black and white.
Hi Steve, I'll rescan the Lens Creek slide area pics and re send them. I found another pic that I'd written Oli the landing bucker on the back but I have no idea what his last name. I knew Don quite well he was a good friend. I also found a pic of my dad when he was logging in the Comox valley in the 30s.
Welcome Woodchucker . I have heard your name and your brothers name a lot over the years .I look forward to seeing some of your pictures and a few story's . Camptramp I had a look at Truck 190 when it was wrecked in 1958 and I don't see any Logo what so ever . Does anyone know when they started to place logos on machines ,trucks and so on ?
Hey Len ,Being a friend of Dons you would know about his tragic end ,another name and face from the past that brings to mind the term forever young. I'll always remember him for his quick wit ,sense of humor ,and drawing of cartoon characters. Olie Berge is the buckers name ,Hill Martin ( his real name is Martin Hill ,but he filled out his imagration papers wrong when he came over from Finland),John cant remember his last name ,and **** can't remember his last name either, all old burnt out fallers put out to pasture. Chris Mearnes is another name I haven't heard in a few years , his nephew worked at Renfrew in the late 1960's, he told us Chris and his dad had been Hooktenders at one time . Seems they got injured a lot took turns packing each other out . Ran into Blain Hanna in Victoria a couple of years ago . They had a thing called Good Timber playing down at the Provincal Museum , went to see it with my wife and another couple, sat down and Blain and his wife were sitting right in front of us. Was looking pretty good but I heard he's had a stroke since then , hope he's doing okay ,great guy to work with and learned a lot from him.
Hey Steve, I knew about Don not a good way to go. Did you ever know Dave Moody? Same thing, same year within a few months of each other I think it was 1978. Don was a good guy always had a smile, always ready to party, always had your back. A lot of good ones went too young. It would have been Olie Berge I have a picture of him bucking the end of a log on a conventional trailer. Chris was punkin whistles on #3 slackline when I met him. Dragging that line out into the bush with the wooden handled switch I guess you could call it. He was in pretty tough shape then. He used to smoke rolled cigarettes but liked it when someone gave him a taylor made, then he'd spend the next twenty minutes coughing his lungs up. Blain Hannah was a great guy, taught me a lot in the bush. I rigged my first backspar with him. I always wondered what happened to him. He always went into Victoria on a Wednesday night with Tony Webber in that old volkswaggon van.
View attachment 113403
Hi Steve, Not sure what's going on here I posted Olie last night successfully but the pic doesn't show today .........
Camptramp, I think some of those towers I have seen in your pictures got sent up to Sandspit by Timberwaste. The big 046's, the cabs on them were extended. Never saw cabs like that anywhere else.
Trackloader your probably right Fletcher Challenge had a field day when they took over BCFP . There was a Madill grapple yarder at Caycuse that was a bigger model than the ones at Renfrew got sent out first then one got shipped out from Renfrew . Was alot of equipment coming and going I think Renfrew Caycuse were rebuild Divison's for the rest of the outfit.
Born2clearcut went back through thread lots of old trucks had sign painted lettering even HDX's dads truck at Brittin River . I wonder if #190 had been repained and the number painted back on the door with a stencil in a camp shop?
It looks like the pics of the Lens Creek slide area went this time. Jim Weir was running the Burger Tower, Rick was chasing and I was second Loading. The pics were definitely taken during the summer.
Next pic is Pixie Lake and one taken from the roof of "C" bunkhouse. The road on the left came from the bunkhouses the other road went to the main office etc.
This was the first cut that I knew of on the Gordon River we were in about 3 miles from camp roughly. The road couldn't go any further. This is number 3 Slackline tower, Rolly Kennedy was running the yarder. I have no idea who was pulling rigging on this side. Blaine Hannah was hooker and is on the left side of the pic or what you can see of him. Roger Sewel was walking beside the cat. I think Vern Gate was running the cat. I was second loading and Nick Kerluke was the loader. Roger was standing beside me in the bottom pic.
Hi Len I think you got the picture thing figured out . Were thoughs pictures taken on Lens 6500 in the summer of 1966 ? I set chockers on the Berger tower on a spur off Three Rivers in early summer 1966 , but went cat swamping around the end of that setting . One event I remember on that setting off Three Rivers was, we broke a chocker one day when the rigging settled down , the chocker was hanging from the Bull Hook with two knobbs but no Bell .it was the Bell that broke. I was pulling rigging on the setting under neath that one in fall 1968 , yarding down to the Three Rivers M/L and I found the broken Chocker Bell. I vaguely remember a Dave Moody but can't put a face to him. Blain Hanna transferred to Crofton in the early 1970's and retired as a rigger from there, he moved to Sidney and resides there as far as I know. When I reminisce back on our early days starting to work in the woods , we were so lucky to have worked with guys like Blain Hanna ,Morris Trembly ,Fred McMurray, Postie ,Dave Thompson ,John Macisaac, I know I've had a Mainline break and because I knew where to stand when the yarder was pulling hard , I was in the clear when all hell broke out. The wooden handle device on the end of the whistle wire was called a bug.
Hey Len what year did they take the first setting out of the Gordon R. M/L I remember working on the backend crew , helping rig back spars on the #663 slackline crew in the winter of 1966 . Morris Trembly was hooking Sid Smith was running yarder Brent Rollin was second rigging John ( can't remember last name ) Pete Malahoff running loader Jim Ohonestchuk punking whistles Stu Smith ,Russ Christenson and I were exstra rigging . We were on a short spur that took off the Gordon R. M/L up the hill just as you broke into the opening. Spent most of the winter there. The crew found some old mine shafts on that side hill fairly steep with lots of rock faces. As we worked our way around the setting our last tail holed was across the Gordon R. M/L . Our last back spar wasn't far from the M/L . We had a couple of inches of snow , our hands were all cold from packing rigging across the hillside so we had lit a warm up fire . Got nicely settled around the fire ,when Jack Messer walked up from the M/L and announced he wished he had a job that he could sit around a fire. We had a skyline exstendsion down on the M/L we had to use to reach our last tailhold Jacks pickup was parked on the M/L running with the windows up and the heater going full blast . We used some strawline and Jacks pickup to drag the exstendsion out to the tail hold . Stu jumped in the truck with his wet rain cloths ,turn off the heater and rolled down all the windows , then kept Jack busy until his truck was cold and soggy.
Heres a little info for you Len . The setting we worked on in Febuary 1966 right next to the side area with the #665 . We logged it with Faller Bunchers , Hoe Chuckers in May 2006 . I hauled the new growth across the setting I started punking whistle on with a highway truck, up to Lens 6000 out the Harris Cr. M/L to Duke Point DLS .
wow do the pictures of the old Renfrew camp ever bring back a lot of memories, I used to do the garbage runs with my dad when I was a kid late 70s early 80s and take the garbage to the dump and when we were done hed take me to the cook shack where id get a piece of pie and a glass of juice, sure wish I would have found this site a lot sooner
Hi Steve, I think I've got it figured out now. I've got a few more pictures to go yet. When I was on the riggin crew yarding on top of Garbage creek. We were out about a quarter mile and it seemed like it was a mile to the bottom especially whe we finnished the day at the bottom and had to climb back to the crummy at 4:30. Lots of things happened on that setting. The haulback broke just as the turn was going into the landing. The mainline and haulback were just singing before they parted company. Heard a bunch of shorts so I just dived behind a stump. Seemed like it went by about a hundred miles an hour. The next thing was a runnaway out of the landing.It went by just as fast. I can still see it ski jumping down the side hill and crashed off into the standing timber. The next problem was an outcroping of rock that needed to be dynamited because the turns kept getting hung up. They told the rigging crew to get behind some big trees when they blasted the rock. That was interesting watching the boulders fly by. The last was a bad accident in the landing. You can use your imagination on that one. It didn't turn out well. We went from Garbage creek to spur 1400 just past the Hillcrest gate and logged a setting across the river. They had dropped a big peeler across the river (Harris Creek) that's how we logged. Right across the creek. Do you remember when they blew the three rivers bridge and were starting to build the grade down to the bottom. Vern Gates D8 went over the bank at the top and went right to the bottom and ended up in the creek below. He jumped off without a scratch. The D8 is prpbably still in the creek.They never did salvage it. You know I spent years trying to put something together on the old camp but could never find anything. Like in the crummies before we went to work I've got lots of yarns. Your webpage is allowing us old timers to reconnect from a time long gone, the characters and there were lots of them and lots of storries. You mentioned Jim Onnischuck.......I went to school with him.
Hey Steve, I think the first cut on the Gordon River main line was in January 66. Lots of snow if I remember. The road stopped into something like a montain. Then they backtracked and built a bridge across the Gordon River. That then became the mainline. Does that make sense?
Just found this pic of Rick B in his 57. I had a 60 Chevy Bell Air.
Hey Len I remember Ricks car . I don't know when they blew down the Three Rivers tresle probably happened when I was off on a camp inspection tour. During the summer of 1966 I went to the grade crew and was Cat Swamping . I was with Jim Backland we were cleaning up a rock quarry on top of Allen Cr. over looking the Three R. tresle , Roy Johnson and crew were yarding a small corner where the Three R. bypass was to join the Three R. M/L with the #95 Trakloader. I looked down to see the #95 crew buse heading down the T R M/L and stop on the tresle and the crew got out and look down, Jim had a look and said I'll bet Verns got a problem. Jim asked on the 2 way radio if they needed our help which was declined . We went down to have a look at quiting time . Vern had pushed a bout maybe 100-200 feet of grade off the old rail grade from the end of the tresle starting the bypass road. Vern had turned the Cat around and backed up to the end of the grade and Rodger Sewell was hanging a chocker on an old log left in the old logging slash . As they followed the grade center line they had pushed fill out on an old stump on the edge of a cliff into the canyon. That rock formation was shale and had water seeping down it ,just the vibration of the Cat idling started the fill behind the stump moving,the whole thing Cat and all slid down like an elevator dropping over the cliff ,into a pool of water under the tresle. I can't remember how high that cliff was but it had to be 50 or 60 ft. You could see where Vern had got off the Cat and scrambled up the bank , I didn't dare crawl down to have a better look but Vern manged to climb up it . If it had been one of the new Cats with encloser cab ,he would have gone down with the Cat. The Cat hit the water running so the motor was toast , but as it was only 3 years old with a power shift there was hope it was salvageble . Remember Tom that guy that was 6ft. !0 in. he and I with Blain Hanna spent a couple of days rigging up a skyline they used the heel blocks for thightening the Skidder skyline , hooked to the Linehorse to lift the skyline and they had another Cat with the Cats Winch hooked to the wrecked Cats winch to raise it and pull it up the Three Rivers M/L side of the ravine , the Cat had a Ublade , it cams up in two peices , when the Cat itself came up the tracks were rolling free and threre was hope it was fixable , but when they had a good look at it everything was bent or sprung it was a complete write off.
During the summer of 1967 I was Landing Man on the #717 Berger Tower with the #71 Log Loader up on top of Garbage Cr. down the road from us was the #690 View Spar both sides were preloading . By that time the Three Rivers tresle was closed to logging trucks but pickups and crummies were allowed to cross it , and the Allen Cr. roads had been hooked up to the Three R, M/L to bypass it. To say it was a long ways and steep way around would be an under statement. Waddy Weeks , Loyd Thompson and Kaye Peterson were doing the hauling with the #222 , #223 #225 HDX Hayes . One Friday afternoon Waddy pulled into our landing to pick up a loaded trailer that wasn't quite loaded , mad as hell . It seems Waddy was leaving the dump empty when he met Kaye Peterson just going into the DLS loaded , thinking he would be back to the top of Garbage Cr.first and get an early load on a Friday, only to find Peterson hooking up to the first load . Kaye had scooped the first load by going across the old tresle, he did it twice that summer that I know of.
Hi Steve, Thanks for the update on Verns cat. I thought it was still at the bottom in the creek. Where on the top of Garbage Creek did you log? When I was on the rigging crew we logged the on the very top of Garbage Creek. We could hear the old wooden home tree skidder blowing whistles below us on the Bear Creek main. When the fog rolled in it was kind of hard to tell who was blowin whistles.
Hi Steve, Here is the only pic I have of the booming ground on the San Juan. This was in with my pics probably taken around 65. I have no idea who anyone is in these pics but someone might.
Here is the only pic I have of Olie Berge.
SY BCFP Renfrew Div. Late 1950's early 1960's Head rigger Fred McMurray standing on top of spar tree , Rigger Blain Hanna on tree under guylines . Picture taken by Ed "Axle" Johnson with telephoto lens.
Morn Len that picture of the booming grounds brings back memories I spent a couple of months down on the DLS and booming grounds in spring 1968 , I had forgotten all about it . Jim Craddick and Jim Ohoustchuck were down there then Lenard Jones ran the tow boat.
Great pictures of the men getting the spar rigged up. Some tough hard work, a long way up in the air, by some even tougher men. Thanks for sharing!
I was told that it was a hundred and fifty foot home tree , and that Fred aquired quite a few hard hats betting the new guy on the bullgang he could do it. Fred is 84 years young , last Fall he joined his Grand Daughter reppelling down a 13 story building in Victoria B.C. for a fund raiser for the Easter Seal campain . He's the oldest person to do it , and when he hit the ground anounced he'd be back to do it again next year.
Hi Len when you get above the switch backs an Garbage Cr. the first main road to the right goes up and over the head waters of Garbage Cr. then over looks Three Rivers it ends looking through the timber at Burma Road . In mid summer 1967 we rigged up on a setting at the top of the hill with the #717 Berger Tower yarding up hill I was Landing Man on that setting. When that setting was finished we moved to the end of the same road , got talked into going pulling rigging. It was getting in to Fall and we were almost finished the setting ,often it would snow alittle at night , but we would cut through the snow with the crummy and by 9:00 Am it would be raining . One morning the snow didn't change to rain , at lunch time we had about 6 inches . Bob Robertson came to the side and told us the grader ,lowbed for the loader and a truck to pull the Berger Tower were on the way, get the tower down and get it out of there. You would know what a work house that thing was to rig up or lower down we had that old jewel down and on its way by 3:30. Remember that 1inch drive ratchet we use to put on the end of the guyline drum shaft that the rigging crew had to reef on to tighten the guylines up or get the dog off , what a beast.
Hey Steve, Great pics of the top of Garbage Creek. It looks just as steep over the bank as I remember. It looks like you were further along over the top. When we logged it around the fall of 64 it only went to the top. I went back there around 78 in my 4X4 and it hadn't changed much the second growth was about ten feet tall but the edge of the standing timber remained uncut. I still remember standing in that same timber about half way down when they blew the rock outcrop. How did they talk you into pullin rigging after you got into the landing as landing man ??? Attached is a pic that I too k in 78. The old wooden home tree skidder was at the bottom of that setting.
Hi Len when they combined the second loaders and chasers jobs, they had one rate for Chase and Second loader , but if you did more than a set number of cuts with a powersaw they paid you Landing mans rate which might have been fifteen or twenty cents an hour, not a hell of a lot by todays standards but I think it was under three dollars an hour for Chase,Second loader . There was an old power saw knocking around the landing , with a little trial and error I got pretty handy with it , and was putting in for Landing Mans rate every day , lots of windfalls and long logs coming into landing. Anyhow Pet Mortonson got wind of it as he was senior , put in a giervence , the job was posted and Jimmy Anderson won the posting and old Bob Robertson talked me into taking a job pulling rigging ,ended up on the wrong end of butt rigging on the Berger tower . Seems if you set chockers on that beast you end up chasing or pulling rigging on it . When the rigging got out pasted the guyline stumps you were lucky if the bull hooks were off the ground , inch and an eighth were standared chockers and inch and an sixsteenth were concidered little ckockers. Three of them dragged back in a big ball , the good old days my ass LOL. Wasn't to bad if you were on Steve Young or Bill Showbergs side they had a way of spiking the main brake when they stopped the rigging and lifted the rigging off the ground. Spent a couple of summers up on top of Garbage Creek reaching down into the head waters of Garbage Cr and down into the Bear Cr. side over looking the old Skidder home tree. I was landing man on a setting reaching down into the head waters of Garbage Cr just passed where the pictures of the Berger Tower were taken . The #762 Slackline tower was rigged up with about 4000 ft. of skyline stretched across the gully in a shot gun rig up , using the skidding line to pull the carrage to the landing .when the turn was in the landing Bill Showberg was just letting the skyline down to put slack in the chockers , I use to be pretty quick, I had one of three chockers unhooked ,I heard the cable running through the carrage above me next thing I remember was standing a the back of the yarder watching 150 ft of skyline pile up on the ground where I had been standing and the end of it whipping over the bank then the slackline carrage swinging across the landing hitting the side of the guyling drums where I had just been . Sometimes its time to get out of the way ,like right now.
SY Renfrew Div. #797 120 ft. Skagit Highlead Tower with IJ-80 interlock winch new late 1968 or early 1969 Steve Young was the first operator.
SY # 690 View Spar Yarder Steve Young operator # 314 Model 6 Northwest Loader Ernie Harrison operator
Hi Steve, More great pics. Interesting that Mortenson put in a grievance when you already had the job. He tried the same thing with Rick and I but he didn't apply and or have the seniority when the chaser and second loaders positions were posted when we put in for them before the landing man position was created. I really have no idea what he did do other than setting chokers. I have a few pics when we logged the top of Granite Creek. Took out some pretty big timber from there. Then Nick and I got a cold deck pile on spur 1410 up from the old Hillcrest gate. That was without a doubt the best job I ever had. When we were in between trucks he'd put an old rubber mat on top of the loader and fire golf balls out into the bush. Never seen a sign Bob Robertson or Jack Messer when we were there. I found a pic of my dad when he worked for Comox logging in the 30s. Would you be interested in the pic. It's pretty funny. No hard hats,someone with his head bandaged drinking beer,someone with a big cross cut saw with my dad in the middle with an axe.
Howdy Len You mention in one of your post about the Berger tower but weren't sure of rigging slinger . This picture is of a Berger tower , this was written on the back " Harris Creek 1961 the singleman is Bill Thatcher "
Hi Len there were 2 job titles Chase and second load and Landing man , I was a posted Chase and second loader , but was putting in for the higher pay rate of Landing man . Pete had a point , It never occurred to me until just now , I wonder where I would have ended up if I hadn,t put in for the Rigging slingers job. LOL Funny what brings back event's that have happened in the pass . In late summer 1978 I hired on out at Pacific Logging at Sooke to run a 599 American log loader a couple of home guards took a dim view of it and put in a grievance which kind of fizzled out . I ended loading out of one tower that the guy running it just plain didn't like me running that loader the #561 if I remember right. I just minded my own buissness and did my job . One day I was all caught up relaxing with by feet up . Out of the corner of my eye I see the crew gather around the haulback . The yarding engineer that had so many slight coments to make walks over to the loader and asks if I could put in a long splice . So I asked him which one a short long splice or a full long splice , he didn't know the difference , so I asked do you tuck in the ends or roll them in , he said the kind you tuck in , a short long splice. They had stranded the haulback , I asked if they had another piece of line around the same size , rob a strand then roll it in and tuck it to the haulback . That wasn't an option so I cut the haulback and spliced it . Nobody on the crew could put in a short long splice. As I spliced it I let them know I had to be able to do that splice to get a job Chaseing where I came from , Funny after I finished ,the crew was rather pleasent. LOL
JW BCFP Renfrew Div. No. 1 slackline #762 Skagit yarder, #203 HDX Hayes log truck at Harris Cr. Camp before it was made into a preloader
The 319, I worked on her setting beads and landing man when my uncle Ollie ran her,we were on truck road 7
That's my uncle and my grandfather, all I can say is wow.....that's 2 generations of my family right there and I was third generation on my dad's side to become a logger and to this day PROUD to be, I might not be in the industry today but you can't take the bush outta the boy, and you certainly can't take the boy outta the bush either....
Hi Steve, Here are a couple of pics when we logged the top of Granite Creek with #3 Slackline. Rick B was Chasing and I was Second Loading for Nick Kerluke. I was with Nick for quite a while and we moved around a lot. I can't remember who was running the yarder or who was on the Rigging Crew, as you mentioned before it was good that some of us threw a camera in our lunch box.
Hi Len Sid Smith was running the #663 Skagit Slack line tower .
Hi Born to clearcut, The name doesn't ring a bell, but it's been a lot of years now. I thought I had a pretty good memory but Steve has me beat hands down. I worked with a great bunch in Port Renfrew at BCFP. From there I logged at CPS Jordon River then Gold River for a short time before going into the Canadian Coast Guard Search and Rescue. I wrote all of my Marine Engineer Certificates and became a Board Certified Marine Chief Engineer. I went deep sea for a few more years on an off shore research vessel surveying the Ocean floor on the BC Coast, up through the Bering Sea to the Arctic Ocean. I came full circle and ended up as Chief Engineer at RivTow Straits towing. I ended up on the big class 8 towboats towing log barges on the BC coast. Towed a lot out of the Queen Charlottes. I liked being on the log towers towing booms from Beaver Cove to the North Arm of the Fraser River. I've got some good pics that I took on the big log barges and towing logs through the rapids. I'm now retired and have a boat of my own. My wife and I cruise the coast and I've found some pretty cool old logging machinery that was just left in the bush.
Hey Len theres another theard on this site called B.C. Equipment Left To Rust you can post any pictures of the treasures you might come across while cruising the B.C. coast. Another site Forestry Operations has a thread called West Coast Logging Camps, Shops , Barges etc. that would be a great place to post pictures from your Tow Boat Days. Any thoughts of hiking in to the old Skidder when the weather gets warmer.
Hey Steve I posted a few pics of the old logging equipment that I have found up the coast at Teakern Arm. I know where the old skidder was left at Bear Creek. I doubt the old home tree is still standing after all these years, I've heard it is down. Never gave any thought to going back in there the old road must be long gone.
Camptramp,is there a thread for American or Cypress yarders and loaders?
I'm not sure , if there is it will be a few pages deeper in this section as I haven't seen it ,there is something on cranes I've seen but it was a while ago , I've been fairly busy picking my own memory, haven't had a chance to go threw all the threads LOL.
d.d.
Thank you DD.
I thought I would post this video of a quote for lumber to build a house from 1915 ,The quote is from a company called Consumers Lumber Company, That was located in the Birks building in Vancouver . Quote from 1915 ,Total Price $935. COD [video=youtube;Sm5yTZQqeC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5yTZQqeC8[/video]
The Three Sisters on their way to McLean's Mill Truck Show 2013.
Absolutely stunning shots HDX! Are all 3 of the sisters spec'd out the same? Are these rigid frame & Cummins powered? what about tire size & transmission? Ap40
1954 HDX's These were the first series Hayes HDX after the prototype first one went to Butler Bros. BCFP thought the world of these big trucks and would buy 12 identical trucks unit #'s 203 -214 All were powered by the 300HP Cummins supercharged engine 4600 rear diffs and 12:00X24 tires 12 foot Seattle bunks and a 36 ton Hayes trailers These trucks were built with a cab all of their own Different from any other Hayes cab These were the first rigid frame trucks in the industry here
[video=youtube;XtkN0--8GIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtkN0--8GIg[/video]
[video=youtube;9JJfCcLc9so]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJfCcLc9so[/video]
Hi Steve, I found a few more pics for you. I liked the Mike and Ed Green father and son pic so I'll attach a pic of my dad when he worked at Comox logging in the 30s. My dad is standing in the center of the pic with the axe in his hand and me with a chainsaw in the next pic. I like the big back breaker saw in my dads pic and the guy with the bandaged head drinking what looks like a bottle of beer. Now those were loggers. I'll also attach a pic of one of the log towers that I was Chief Engineer on. I liked towing 72 sections of logs,lots of time to fish and we didn't move in bad weather. We used to pick up the tow at Beaver Cove then tow it to the North Arm of the Frazer River. 24 hours to get from the Riv Tow office on Commissioner street to Beaver Cove then 10 days to tow back to the north arm. Then we'd turn around and do it again for another ten days or so. 21 days on 21 days off. We used to by pass the Seymore Narrows and came through the rapids. The Green Points, Arran, Dents and Yucultas. Kind of a hairy ride doing the rapids at times. I made the mistake of asking to go on the log barges. They only went on the West Coast of Vancouver Island and the Charlottes. Nothing worse than the West Coast of Vancouver Island or the Charlottes and Hecate Straits in the winter. If you like the towboat pics I've got some great pics of loading and towing the log barges.
The pictures towing in the rapids,we were following the tug Charlotte Straits that was also towing 72 sections. That's 144 sections total and that's a lot of logs. We both had assist tugs to help us manoeuver around the bends and corners in the rapids. These pics were taken as we passed Dent Island. Just before the start of the flood current.
Very good pictures of the you towing the logs, love to see more when you have time to share, them. What years were you working towing logs? Looks like a awful big load to tow and through rapids, any details on the two boat would be great too.
Love the stories and photos. If you have more of the same please post them. Anything about tugboats, barges, towing, logs and logging has got my interest. Thanx.
You never know where an ex BCFP guy will show up or what he's been up to , more pictures of places most of us will never see , and how many pictures of the 1930's will we see . Thanks for sharing Len.
I was on the towboats in the late 70s, seven all tolled. The Monarch was the smallest one that I was on, only about 65 ft. long. Two 16 cylinder super charged screamin jimmies in her for main engines. Towboats are pretty loud inside, it wasn't uncommon to be over 100 decibles in the wheelhouse and accomodations. The engine room was usually in excess of 120 decibles. We never towed less than 72 sections. The rapids are deceiving, it's not the corners that get you. It's when the tow decides to go in another direction with the current. That's why the assist tugs on the end of the tow.
Good to hear you enjoyed the pics and stories. I will definitely post more for you. It's hard to imagine some of the places we used to shoe horn the big log barges into.
Hi Steve, If it wasn't for this website this old ex BCFP logger wouldn't be sharing pictures and swapping stories. What a great resource you have here. There aren't too many places on this coast that I haven't been into by boat. I saw most of the coast in CCG/SAR, CHS charting the ocean floor and on the towboats. I'd never thought too much about the towing industry but it's big and believe it or not they are still towing logs in booms. I was just amazed when I went on my first log barge and watching it dump the first time. Everyone threw $5 in a can to see how long it would take to dump. As Chief Engineer I had to go onto the fully loaded barge, fire up the generator that ran the pumps that pumped sea water to the tripping tanks and from then on the water in the tanks decided when the barge went over past the center of gravity and the logs slid off the barge. Once that happened the genset automatically shut down, the force of the water then went the opposite direction and the tanks drained out and we were on our way again up the coast for another load. The closest to the actual time that the barge dumped won the pot. It was a different time,every time.
At DBDLS's request here are a few more log towing and towboat pics. The first pic was our first stop at Robson Bight to get ready for the run down Blackfish Sound and into the rapids. I used to occasionally get off the towboat and get on the boom to get the old man to run past under power to get a pic. One time it kind of backfired on me. I didn't tell anyone I was going to climb up to the top of the falls to get a pic. I'd mentioned that I wanted to take on about 10,000 gallons of fuel and the boat sailed off with me at the top of the falls. By the time they realized I wasn't on board they thought I'd fell overboard and headed back to see if I was in the water. Last time I did that. The next picks are in the engine room. She had two 16 cylinder GM Diesels for main engines,one 471 GM genset and a 6 cylinder air cooled Lister generator for the second generator. Next are a few pics of the rapids. Quite safe at slack water but when the tide turns the water just boils and big whirlpools open up. The biggest whirlpool is in the Dent Rapids, it's opens up to 45 feet wide with a huge hole in the middle that can suck down a fair sized ship that goes trough at the wrong time. It's called the Devils Hole. We used to crew change by sea plane a lot because it was impossible to keep a crew change on time. I wasn't too much for flying out of Vancouver in the fog. The pilot used to say we will either be under the lions gate bridge or over it. Not a great confidence builder. We usually flew over a lot of settings up the coast, more than you'd realize. When we reached the North Arm of the Frazer River a couple of assist tugs got on the end of the to help tie us up, then it was back to Beaver Cover for another 42 sections. Hope you like the pics.
Thanks for more pictures Len, sure are enjoyable to see. I like to learning about the workings on the water a bunch.
Very kool pictures Len Heres a few pictures of the Forest Prince dumping its load in 1962 not to sure where its dumping .
couple more
sorry couldn't read any tug boat names
Here is a slow motion video of the log dump[video=youtube;b5MvNNie_lQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MvNNie_lQ[/video]
Great pics of the log barge. That was usually the best part.....watching the barge dump. The dumping grounds was at the old Victoria Plywood mill on Admirals Road. Long gone now. The towboat towing the barge was the old wooden hull tug the Commodore Straits. The other tug with the orange funnel was the Charlotte Straits probably before Straits acquired her. Her hull was white in the pics. Straits towing colours were green. The other small boats were probably just small harbour assist tugs. All log barges carried their own dozer boats (boom boats) you can see two of them on the aft deck of the barge in the you tube videos. Log barges always carried a couple for pushing the logs up to the barge for loading. They always flew in the log barge loaders they never travelled on the tow boat. Used to take three 24 hour days to load a barge.
Thanks for the info Len . Maybe you could name this place ,I'm thinking it might be Nitnat river ?
couple more
Sure looks like it .GPS on google maps is 48.673464,-124.852152 Just copy and paste in to google maps to see.
You're Welcome, I really like these pics, really cool. It's the Nitinat Narrows and it's tidal waters. It's where the Nitinat lake runs into the Pacific Ocean. The Nitinat Bar is kind of a tricky entrance. You need to know your tides and current and how to read a marine chart going into and out there. I checked out the Latitude and Longitude that you gave me. The one on Google Map is degrees and decimal points using SAT NAV for positioning. I use Degrees, Minutes and Seconds for plotting on a BSB Electronic Marine Chart. I got 48° 40.10 N 124° 51.07 W that is the Lat and Long for the entrance. I hope this makes sense.
I just go to google maps Right click on the spot on the map,Then a box opens up,Then click what's here and the GPS shows up, I can then put the same numbers into my GPS in my truck and it shows the same spot.
Just learned something. Thank you. d.d.
your welcome
That looks like Moore Whitingtons tow boat the Nitinat Lady towing through the Nitinat Narrows . The Nitinat Lady use to pull into San Juan Bay at Port Renfrew to wait out bad weather, quite often during Winter months . One Fall night it pulled into San Juan Bay for bad weather , A tug ( I vaguely remember a name like Brock in the Straits or Rock in the Straits?) towing a Barge with a pile driver built on it and a couple fish boats also took shelter in the bay . A terrible storm blew through the bay through the night . The next morning ,before going to school I walked down to the beach at Beach Camp . The tide was low and the Bay was fairly calm . One of the fish boats had dragged anchor and was almost on the beach , the barge with the pile driver was upside down ,and as far as the eye could see around the Bay were bundles and stray logs from the boom the Nitinat Lady was towing. Later walking the beach at the head of the Bay we found pieces of tongue and grove lumber from the pile driver house tossed by the sea back in the bush passed the drift wood at the high tide mark. To recover the logs and bundles Baird + Johnson Logging put a yarder on a Log Raft and used a Cat to push and pull the logs off the beach. I think it was the same storm that wrecked the Martian Mars at Pat Bay.
Camp tramp' you are like a walking encylepedia,I remember the beach after that storm,but had forgot till now.RWT.
Funny how something you see or hear triggers one's memory , so memories come back ,and if I get a little out of lead on them its okay to put me back in lead .LOL Born2clearcut has some great pictures brings back lots of memories.
Wow, that smaller blue and white tug brings back memories. Not sure of the name of the company - perhaps Warren Tug and barge - but they were based right across from the old BCFP mill on the Gorge Waterway - Selkirk waters. They were pretty much the harbour boom handling fleet at the time. When my brother and I were kids we would see their little boom tug come up into the upper Gorge in front of our folks house looking for loose logs after a storm. They had a pretty short window of time to get through the narrow cut under the bridge but always seemed to make it on a good high tide. These days, people would freak if they saw a tugboat on the upper Gorge, probably call the environment dept. Then it was pretty much a given after every storm. They had three or maybe four little tugs and were docked on a wharf below a big old estate style house. As kids, we were somewhat in awe of this little outfit. Such a blast from the past. Thank you Born2clearcut for posting
rwt Do you remember the fall of 1955 , the North arm of the San Juan River had a log jam ,we must have had a heavy rain fall all the water was coming down the South arm of the San Juan River . Flooded the Stump Ranches up on the Delta ,there was all kinds of stuff coming down the river . even the odd cow . When the water went down we even found a cross cut bucking saw and some dishes on the beach in front of Beach Camp . A log boom broke loose up at the old Mill site up the river and came down and wiped out the Cove Bridge . The School was on the delta and Old Siam Peter's use to take us across the mouth of the river with that old life boat of Harry Smith's to get to school and back every day until BCFP's bridge crew built a foot bridge to walk across until the bridge was replaced. It seems to me that old life boat was off a tug that sank out in the bay ,off the mouth of the Gordon River ,a couple of years before moved into Port Renfrew.
camp tramp, I only remember being told about it. I do remember Siam he had parkinsons I think.
Hi dirty4fun, Here are a couple more pics for you. This is Cooper Reach at the head of Loughborough Inlet. The towboat is the Mercer Straits powered by two 16 cylinder 149 GM Supercharged main engines. The log barge was an acquisition from Great West towing. We either towed the Great West number 2 or 3. This was one of the better towboats, clean inside and well laid out . The log loaders were flown in and had individual cabins.
W e'd head for Gambier Island to dump, then turn around and head a little further up the coast for a load at the Queen Charlottes.
Wow thanks Len, more great pictures on the water. The first picture looks like the tow is back quite a ways from the tug. How far away did you usually have the tow from the towboat, and what size cable would you use? I assume the cable is attached to winch so you can shorten or lengthen the distance. Does anyone still haul logs on a log barge yet? Hope you don't mind all the questions, just another thing I know so little about. Sure looking forward to this summer coming out there and seeing so much of what everyone has been posting here for all to enjoy.
great pictures Len how many crew members on the tow boats . Is there a difference in crew size between towing booms or log barges?
Hi Dirty4fun, In the first pic we were leaving Vancouver harbour and had cleared first narrows. We ran shortened up (barge right behind the tug) until we hit open water,then the tow line is let out. About 1500 to 2000 feet behind the tug. Believe it or not the towline is only about three feet below the surface of the water. Not a good idea to try to go between. That happened off Point Atkinson when a pleasure craft tried to go between. The boat slid along the towline and the PC ended up under the barge. The three people onboard didn't make it. The steel towline is about two inches in diameter. I worked on eight different towboats, three of them were class eight deep sea towboats. The towboats are classed from class one to class eight, class one being the smallest least horsepower to class eight lots of horsepower. All of the towboats I worked on were class five to eight. The most powerful one I was Chief on, we ran two side by side towlines from one winch. Each towline two and a half inch diameter. We never broke a towline on anything I worked on and we never stopped for weather. Winters on the west coast can get pretty rough. I think most of the big log barges are gone now, probably a few left but I haven't seen any on the water in the past five years. Interestingly though I've seen an increase in log towers. Most of the bigger towboats and log barges have been shipped off to China for scrap. I'll post a few more pics for you and I don't mind the questions.
Hi Steve, Crew members on the towboats varied. The bigger the tug, the bigger the crew. Most log towers that towed down the coast had five on-board. The Old Man (Skipper), Chief Engineer, First Mate and two deck hands. We stood a 6 on, 6 of watch. The Old Man and I stood the same watch 6 to 12 in the morning and 6 to midnight. The Old Man had a deckhand on his watch. The First Mate had a deck hand on his watch. Both of the deckhands were also the cooks. On the Class 6 to 8 towboat we actually got a real cook, I had a Second Engineer for the 12 to 6 watch and if I was really lucky I got an oiler. So on the bigger tugs we had a crew of nine. So that gave me an engine room crew of two. The Canada Shipping Act required two Engineers on-board, a Chief Engineer and Second Engineer for the west coast and anything past the 40 miles out from land. If we got a deep sea salvage job we went well out into the Pacific Ocean. Since Hecate Straits is 60 miles wide from the mainland to the Charlottes it was mandatory to carry two Engineers. I always slept better when I had a Second Engineer on-board. The Gibraltar Straits was the biggest towboat I was Chief on, she was about 130 feet long,25 foot beam and drew 15 feet of water when full of fuel and fresh water. Two Fairbanks Morse two stroke opposed piston main engines. 2500 BHP each. Two 671 GM naturally aspirated generators. One emergency generator. One 671 GM for the tow winch. One tow winch, two side by side two and a half inch towlines.
Thanks Len, oh so very interesting learning about tow boats and barges. 2.5" cable had to be a little bit of bugger to work with mighty heavy. The west coast does have some very bad weather to deal with and crazy tides from what I have seen. I had read about the Columbia river pilots and how tough it is to get them on board the ships. Not sure I would want to be out there during some of the storms that come in out there. I will be waiting and watching for anything more you care to share with us.
Thanks for sharing great photos and stories, those two stroke Fairbanks Morse op engines were quite special with top and bottom crankshafts. Ive heard they were very reliable. In the 1950s there was an english built truck called Commer with a sort of similar op engine but it had just one crankshaft.Here it was sometimes used as a logging truck, very special sound i remember....
Serial # plate number tag off #797 Skagit Steel Tower , also a couple # tags off other BCFP yarders
We never had to man handle the cable,everything was done with the tow winch. There was a small gypsy just behind the winch that we used to haul in the tow line and bridle to lay everything out on the aft deck. Our bridle was chain about the size of our anchor chain. It weighed a few tons. There wasn't any give in the tow line and bridle when we were under way. We came out of Kyuquot Sound one one miserable night in January and took a Southwester on the nose. The waves were about 35 feet high. We pounded into it for a while but didn't make it very far and pulled into Esperanza Inlet until the weather moderated. Good thing, we checked the log barge out and found stress fractures on the front of the barge so a welder was flown out to patch the barge up. We lost a few days but we never lost a single log. Weather was always a variable in the winter but you got used to it.
You're welcome Sigurd. I'll post more pics when I get a moment.
The Southwest gale force winds could really raise hell on B.C.'s west coast . I can remember on several occasions living at Beach Camp at Port Renfrew that a combination of a high tide , a heavy rain fall and a strong Southwest gale force winds would cause the water in San Juan Bay to pile up causing minor flooding in Beach Camp . Even after the tide had peaked and the water level should have started to drop , the water level kept rising, until the wind settled down or changed direction. I can remember spending an afternoon at rwt's family home pushing a log that was floating in their front yard , away from the skirting on their house, in the early 1970's.
Who was it that said don't mess with Mother Nature. That must of been quite a blow to push the water in like that. Be glad you were on land instead of out in that mess.
There was only one occasion that we pulled into San Juan Bay to get out of a southwester and that was when I was on a Coast Guard Cutter. Not a great place to anchor, bad bottom for holding power. We dropped the hook and started to drag right away,so we dropped the second anchor and it didn't set either. So it was up both anchors and we just hove to for the night running on two of our four main engines. No where else to go, no where to dock, too rough to go out. I do remember having a coffee on the quarter deck at 0615 in the morning after standing a 6 hour watch from midnight to six and hearing the whistle blow at camp. When the weather moderated the next day, we left. The west coast is just like that. The worst places hands down on the West Coast are going around Brookes Peninsula about half way up Vancouver Island and going around Cape Scott. Once around Cape Scott there is the Nahwhitti Bar. It's shallow at the bar. That's the only place we've hit bottom so hard I had to clean sand out of the sea chests. You've been on the Charlottes Steve. The worst places there are #1. Cape St James hands down. #2 The entrance to Tasu on the West Coast of the Charlottes #3. Dixon Entrance and the entrance to Masset. #4. Hecate Straits is rough 360 days a year.
Love all the stories and pics and hoping to contribute a bit here are a few pics I've taken recently from the Tyee Spit, here in Campbell River. Seems to have been a real increase in the number of flat-booms going by compared to the many barges we used to have. Many have been scrapped as we know. Anyway, here's the StormForce with a flatty. Here's a small barge with a load of what appears to be mostly second growth logs, judging from their size. Lots of big American tugs towing barges back and forth between Alaska and the "Lower 48" pass by here too. Quite a variety of stuff on these barges sometimes. Here's a look at one. Take care.
We just had the tug General Jackson up here in Port over the Christmas Holidays That was a really classy old tug. The crew was doing some work on her.
Walk around look,CLICK VIDEO TO WATCH [video=youtube;AOuJgFB8YAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOuJgFB8YAU[/video]
Had a great talk with rwt on the phone yesterday and he mentioned something about truck#200 his dad use to drive so I figured i would look to see if I had pic of it ,low and behold I do, its the only picture I have of truck#200 ,picture was taken in 1958 Harris Creek. I notice he has his exhaust covered up and right hood cover is open, so may be broke down
Wow, your pictures are so clear,I'll give some pics too camptramp so he can put them up.some old Renfrew & Mooyah Bay.
BCFP pics - credit to Woodchucker. I will post more pics from Woodchuckers Collections in a day or 2. Woodchucker; thanks for sharing pictures.
More BCFP pics - credit to Woodchucker
More BCFP pics - credit Woodchucker
More BCFP pics - credit to Woodchucker
More BCFP pics - credit to Woodchucker
More BCFP pics - credit to Woodchucker
Last of BCFP pics - thanks for sharing Woodchucker
Great Pic's
Would love to see more pictures of that Skagit yarder.
is that tony steeves with sangy in hand at the lunch fire pic? and jerry van beers 3rd from left in the black and white pic?
from left ?,Bruce Wilson. ?, Maurice Tremblay.
Hi Steve, Here are a few pics that I shot when I was on the Mercer Straits towing a log barge out of Skidegate Channel in the Charlottes. The pics are taken from east Skidegate Narrows until we locked down the tow pins before we crossed Hecate Strait. I added in a pic of Cape St. James on the only day I ever saw it flat calm. We usually stood the tow boat on end around Cape St James.
Cape St. James QCI.
Note the chain tow bridle winched up.
BCFP's Forest Prince launch day , Pictures developed Sept 1960 so launch day must of been close to that month . I'm guessing the Forest Prince was launch in Victoria B C (maybe someone could confirm this )
couple more
Hi born to Clearcut, The Forest Prince was one of the first log barges built. It was built in Yarrows Shipyard in Esquimalt in Victoria BC in 1960. Registry # 313681. Length 304.7 feet long, x 60.1 feet wide and drew 16.3 feet of water. The hull was steel with a registered tonage of 2722 tons. Type 1 barge,self loading,self dumping. She was owned by BCFP from 1960 until 1967 Vancouver BC. From 1969 to 1990 she was owned by Swiftsure Towing New Westminster BC. In 1995 to 1999 she was owned by Pacific Bunkering Vancouver BC. In 2001 she was owned by Pacific Barging Ltd. In 2003 she was owned by Helifor Industries Ltd. Vancouver BC. In 2012 to 2014 she was owned by Helifor Canada Corp, Vancouver BC. Currently tied up under the Patullo Bridge on the Frazer River. I'd say she was one of the first built,had a great career towing logs and will be one of the last big log barges on the coast. She ran aground once on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, unloaded her logs then was refloated without incident. Quite a history. In your pictures you can see the old Prestonian Class Frigate HMCS Beacon Hill in the background. That gave me the position of the old Yarrows Shipyard that she was built and launched from. I did many refits in Yarrows Shipyards in Esquimalt and Yarrows Shipyard in Vancouver. Great pictures, thanks for sharing some more logging history.
The FOREST PRINCE was the first self loading, self dumping barge. The first purpose built log barges were the POWELL #1 and #2 in.... 1954 I THINK. Then the STRAITS COLD DECKER and STRAITS WATERSKIDDER, and a few for CZ and Rayonier. The second self loader was the HAIDA CARRIER, which was a sister to POWELL #1 and #2. After BCFP's success with FOREST PRINCE M&B put cranes on the CARRIER.
We came , We saw , We logged it all ! Harris creek 1958
The first picture is looking across the San Juan R. over top of Bear Cr. Camp at Mt. Demers . The second picture is a great shot of the Harris Cr. shop and truck sheds.
Looking at the shop photo, was it always a truck operation? The road layout has a resemblance to rail road grade in it’s curvature, and in it’s departure from the road in the background.
The Harris Cr. camp started out as a rail road operation in the 1930's and started to convert over to truck logging in the late 1940's by 1954 it was a truck logging operation. Check page 38 posting #561 on this thread.
BCFP's Swiftsure Prince log barge 1976
couple more of Swiftsure Prince
Hi Born2clearcut, I'd like to thank-you for all the photos you've posted throughout this forum, and to have had the insight years ago to take such photographs. I can't say enough about the meaningfulness and sentimentality of these historic photos. I am particularly interested in any and all photos you might have of the Harris Creek Camp. Born in 1956, I started out my life in a house right next to the BCFP shop where my dad worked as a heavy duty mechanic. The area in the picture above was actually my playground. Camptramp is another fellow that I intend to contact as well. If possible, I it would be great to hear from you. Steelhead
Hi Camptramp, I recently contacted Born2clearcut to thank him for posting so many invaluable photos of logging operations. My appreciation extends to you as well. Back in those days, people had cameras and took photos but not to the extent that people snap photos today. The photos posted by Born2clearcut and yourself are indeed precious. It is hard not to be awestruck seeing images now on my computer screen of what life was like for many decades ago. Born in 56, I grew up in the house kiddy corner to the BCFP shop, where my dad worked as a mechanic. Our family remained there until the camp was torn down, where we then moved on to Port Renfrew. Reading your posts, it seems that you were around the same neck of the woods when I was a kid. I am very interested in pictures of the Harris Creek Camp and surrounding area. I look forward to seeing any others that you might have. Many thanks, Steelhead
Welcome to HEF Steelhead I'm sure we know each other as I watched the houses from Harris Creek being set up in Beach Camp . If you go to Vancouver Island Logging at it's Best page 48 and starting at posting #713 , I posted pictures I took of Heli-logging and loading at the old Harris Creek Camp , by then we had become Timberwest. While waiting to get loaded one day I was walking around where the old truck shop had been, I found a round brass tag with the #191 stamped on it, which was the number of a Kenworth logging truck that would end its days as a "chunk truck " with a Courtenay heel boom on it . Another morning I was wandering around the area between the present haul road and the creek where the Family houses were once located ,it must have been in the Spring , as I came across a Daffodil in bloom . Later that year (1995) I penned the following poem. A Place Once Called Home by Camptramp On a valley floor Not far from a creek A lonely Daffodil peeks Out of a carpet Of moss and ferns Beneath a canopy Of new growth trees Almost forgotten With the passing of time A place in the woods Where a logging Camp Once stood In B.C.'s back woods A slim reminder Of day's gone by Leading one to wonder Who had taken the time To plant a garden That would grow As the years pass by With the hope of security That permanence provide's Gardens are planted With the future in mind as spring turns to summer Another season of prosperity passes by Where once the valley rang With the sounds Of Yarders and Locies Now there is silence Except for the wind in the tree tops And the murmur of tumbling water As nature reclaims What man has borrowed One wonders what happened To those whose hopes and dreams Are but fading memories Of a previous era When someone had planted A flower garden
Beautiful poem, Mr. Tramp. Reminds me of the time I visited the remains of Polson/Rayonier's Railroad Camp up north of Hoquiam, WA. As huge and prosperous an operation as it once was, it was quiet and peaceful, with just a few reminders left of what that place used to be. And the Oxalis was as thick and lush as I have ever seen it. Oh, what a memory.
Thanx Camptramp. My wife thought that was a very touching poem. You have to thank those who take the time to plant gardens. I worked in a camp with a hoe operator who spent all his spare time in the camp garden. I sure hope there are some strawberries and flowers still growing there now that the camp is gone. You have to wonder how many kids were raised in logging camps that no longer exist. Our neighbour grew up in Kokish. We asked her where it was and she said, 'It was where that little stretch of Kokish Main is paved.' It seems sad when a little bit of asphalt is all that is left of where one grew up.
Steelhead I've been trying to send you a PM ( Private Message ) to you, but it won't get to you until you allow it or make some more posts. Welcome to HEF hope to hear more from you. Check page #48 and postings starting at post #713 under thread Vancouver Island Logging at its best for pictures of Heli- Logging and Loading at the old Harris Creek Camp taken in 1995 , working for Timberwest.
Hello Camptramp, Sorry for the delay. A pleasure to be here on HEF. One of the few real and tangible connections to my past. Thank-you for your beautiful poem. I can identify with the poignancy and inspiration behind it, because I share it. Being conceived and raised in Harris Creek, it was the first place my eyes opened unto. The magnificence of that rugged and beautiful land imprinted in my boyhood mind as the only place I will ever call home. A place where I felt the most free. Five decades later, the sight and sound of that section of creek, still courses through my veins. The taste of that gin clear mountain water. How can I ever forget? I can't. I have never been able to forget Harris Creek camp. Yes life was often tough for my parents, but in the end, looking back through time, life was rich. Life may have been spartan but in today's terms, we had a lot. When I was around five years old, I recall several flat beds rolling into camp one morning. I was not all that pleased over what was about to occur, the fact that they were going to demolish my town and uproot me. However, as it went, a five year old didn't have much say in the matter. In a very short time, the camp was gone, and so was I, sitting in the back of a 57 Oldsmobile headed towards our transplanted shack in Renfrew's upper camp. The connection between a boy and the land was not about to be severed so easily as in my five year old mind, I was determined to return. I knew it might take a while, but I would. And I did. When I began building my cabin by hand in Harris Creek, in 1987 on the bluff just above the recently built suspension bridge which came much later, I never, ever thought logging would return to the valley in my time. For as long as it lasted, life was once again rich. I had the camp back. It was all mine. My town. Population 1. I was mayor, police chief, fire chief, trash collector, forest ranger, and custodian of the valley. I lived amongst the cougars, bears, owls and steelhead. The world passed by on the dusty road below. No one except the animals knew I was there. I find it ironic that both you and I were both in Harris Creek Camp in 1962 when the camp's buildings were being hauled off to Renfrew, and yet decades later, around 1994, we end up in the same valley, you snapping photos of heli-logging operations and me, standing outside my cabin watching the air cranes overhead. All things come to an end though. Even though I knew the air crane pilots must have spotted my cabin, I never ever was bothered by them or was intruded upon. Loggers let me be, and I admire them for that. The eventual demise of my dwelling was made possible by a rash of gov't funded stream enhancement workers who made nothing but a mess along the creek and left a whole lot of garbage. They discovered the cabin, and once it was broken into, shortly afterwards more break-ins took place. Soon it seemed, half the hippies in Port Renfrew knew where it was. I came there one day to find two signs, one by Timber West telling me to remove it or that they would. This sign did not cause me any grief because I knew the cabin had to go. Its location was private no more. More than that, what had been special about it had been spoiled. I had lined the interior with 1X3 inch T&G yellow cedar. Its magical fragrance never left over the years. That day I realized, however, that there were others who did not appreciate the beauty of yellow cedar. The hippies had taken spray bombs and other paints to embellish their own designs, as well as destroying the interior and stealing all my tools. After spotting a few used condoms and syringes, it was not hard to say goodbye to a labour of love. The last thing I remember before walking away, was a sign the hippies had posted on the front door, "DON'T ***** WITH OUR STUFF. IT'S BAD KARMA!" I have never been back or looked back. It's a new world out there. It is any wonder that my memories of Harris Creek, the way I remember it long, long ago, become sweeter with each passing year. PS Rummaging through the brush, I often came across remnants form the past; mechanical objects, cables, concrete foundations In one of the yards along the creek, just like the daffodil you discovered, my eyes were alerted one afternoon to a deep orange, poppy plant in full bloom. I gather it had survived for thirty years. In 1990, I had hoped to rehabilitate the two apple trees that still stand, (in what may have been Les Way's yard), but they were no longer salvageable. I'll give you a hint on who I am. My dad drove the school bus from Harris Creek Camp to Renfrew and back every day.
Steelhead when there's a 8 year difference in age at 13 years of age its a huge gap , at 65 years of age the gap narrows. I know some of your family but I can't remember the names of the younger ones. Some of the school bus rides to Sooke were memorable , nothing like walking up the big switch back for being bad LOL. I heard about your cabin ,but was never there. Its a big country whats the harm if your not hurting anything? There was once a time when the family quarters were all painted neatly with tidy white fences , the families that moved into remote communities were stable, once the roads to the out side world were opened up , there were a lot of people moving in and out. Some more desirable than others . When I was little locking a door was never a concern . Later it was a necessity.
http://www.powershow.com/view1/cf1d...e_San_Juan_Valley_powerpoint_ppt_presentation
Welcome to HEF Steelhead . I sent a PM to you . If you have any questions ask away and I'll see if I can answer any. If not we'll find someone who can . Enjoy your stay at HEF
Steelhead that slide show of Early logging in San Jaun Valley was put together by Bruce Wilson , his father ran yarder at Harris Cr. His brother Don drove logging truck . Bruce Tended Hook and ran yarders and loaders at Renfrew Div.
Blk prince Caycuse Div. Caycuse dump.
Okay Steelhead what was your Dads name? RWT.
Actually camptramp, in Harris creek, even though I was quite young, I knew of Bruce Wilson, and where the Wilson's house was. I even remember that car of his. With a car like that, especially in a logging camp, you were stylin'. :scool
Boys in Harris Creek during the fifties weren't known to have a lot of toys. Instead, we had the great outdoors, the gravel roads between the houses, the creek, the old machinery to play on, and plenty of imagination. I remember getting one toy a year, either for Christmas or on my birthday. Typically it was always some sort of steel truck, something that could withstand the demand of hauling aggregate and big rocks and all day. At three and four years of age, most guys were already in the excavating business, rain or shine. We all had trucks. Trucks that would be put to the test and survive, unlike the light-duty, plastic Tonka type trucks that came later. The camp was demolished in around 1960. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had returned to the valley, often rummaging around for artifacts. The year was 1989 when I found this steel farm truck have buried, half sticking up out of the ground. If my memory served me correct, it might have belonged either of my two of my friends who lived along the creek where it was found. The truck is in amazing shape after sitting in the bush for nearly thirty years. It was designed and built in two pieces, cab and chassis coupled to a box with rails. The axles are still in tact and operational. The solid rubber tires are good for another season it seems. Quite a find! When I saw it there poking out of the ground, I felt as if I had won the lottery. I didn't think the BCFP thread on the HEF would be complete without a photo of it and a favorable mention. Many of us went on to command bigger machines in life. My dad who was also a HD mechanic for BCFP once put me behind the wheel of a big Hayes and let me drive it through the yard. That big ivory steering wheel, that sound of that diesel... Now that was something I will never forget.
That's a good find Steelhead , bet she was the pride of the fleet back in her day . Here's a couple random pic's. I tried to clean them up a bit but it's the best i could do
Nice shot of an old Sparmatic barreling down the road....
Hard to tell which yarder it is , but the loader is an early picture of the #95 a TL15 Washington Trak Loader before the cab was elevated . The tower is the #690 a Spar-a-Matic View Spar.
Got any more pics of the #690 Sparmatic?
I just may have Jack , I don't think you'll like them much tho , they are in color and the #690 is brand new doesn't even have lines on it yet :tong P.S I'll get on posting them a little later today when I have a bit more time
Oh you are a good man. I just can't get enough of these things... I'm trying to get as much material/pics of these things that I can. Maybe I'll loft up a set of plans for these things when I retire.
almost forgot Jack, here ya go . Brand new BCFP's 1962 Spar-a-matic View spar #690 . try getting this machine near a water source today let a lone driving across one , their would be hell to pay .
#690 rigged up I may have posted these two pic's already
Good pics - nothing is bent yet. Where were these taken and what year would this be? We didn't have to drive them across rivers in my time. Just keeping them on the road was hard enough. If I remember correctly, they were so heavy that they usually went for the inside ditch. Thanks for posting these. That's a great shot of the towering extension cable drum in the 4th pic. The whole system worked quite well and we never had any problems locking/unlocking the locking ring. I wonder if those Sparmatics down in Washington State from earlier posts still exist
Born2clearcut more great pictures the pictures are of the #690 crossing the Harris Creek at the old Lower Harris Creek Bridge .That is the bridge that was originally built for the Rail Road ,and wouldn't support something as heavy as the View Spar. It wasn't long after this picture was taken the bridge was replaced, it's not the first bridge as I remember old cut off pilings along that bridge. There used to be a great swimming hole just up stream from bridge ,when they built a new bridge the swimming hole got screwed up.
Just want to put this out to anyone. A friend who works in our Dentist office just found out I worked in Camp 3. She grew up in Camp 6. Her Dad was Reg Dakin.
That's a beauty
This is for Robbie N. I made contact and will have info for you with me tomorrow
Rigging up 1958
Sorry camptramp, just came across your post now. No, he is no relation.
Looks like an early Madill tower , I don't ever recall seeing it , but in the third picture it looks like Woods Foreman Blondie Moxness to the left in back ground , Hooker Rigger Blain Hanna in the center up front. It must be a setting in Lens Creek , as I recognize the ridge in the back ground as the one that runs down the South side of the San Juan River that patch of snow is a known land mark. Crew would be working out of the Harris Creek camp.
Bear Creek Tresle Wow great picture I remember our school teacher at Bear Creek School took us down to the lower bridge so we could watch them blow it up, as a young kid we would climb up and down the trestle support structure and if I remeber right Stu Smith and Larry Krawchuck were with me.
Great pic dad has a copy hanging on his wall.
Any one know if those pictures from Don Yates were taken in front of the Bear Creek truck shed, it looks like what I remember the truck sheds looked like when I was a kid living in Bear Creek Camp?
I will ask don on Wednesday when we have lunch. Larry
A family photo taken at the Caycuse truck shed in 1971 or '72. My Dad George Taylor is on the left. I can't tell what truck this is but we were probably admiring one of the new self-loaders. If you look closely to the right you can read "229" on the back of the cab of the truck next to it.
That would be great! Thank you.
BCFP Renfrew Div. rwt has loaned us his picture album to share . Picture #1 is of several Beach Camp kids sitting on top of the camp Fire Truck in 1956 ,an old Dodge or Fargo , notice the Locie shop in the back ground. Picture #2 is of the #203 HDX Hayes logging truck which his father Lloyd Thompson drove in 1956. Picture #3 is of the #200 a Kenworth logging truck Lloyd drove in 1958 , with rwt standing on the pigeon roof. Picture #4 is of rwt,Janice Fulton and Terry McMillian standing on fender of #200 Kenworth in Lens Cr. area.
Anybody know the GPS of where that bridge got Blown up, Here is a 40 sec video showing how to get GPS from Google maps,It's easy once you know how. Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpVJdy-iCQ
Y&L Wrench BCFP Renfrew Div. Renfrews first steel tower the #717 Berger Tower with the old linehorse in front of it.
Y&L Wrench BCFP Renfrew Div. The Boys of the rig up crew Ed Johnson, Head rigger Fred McMurray, Bill Tonenin
Y&L Wrench BCFP Renfrew Div. Head Rigger Fred McMurray Stands atop a 150 foot wooden spar tree ,the last Skidder Home tree at BCFP Renfrew Div. and the last Skidder Home tree he would raise and rig , but not the last Wooden Home tree he would raise and rig in his career. This last Wooden Skidder Home tree was was rigged in the early 1960's and was left standing with the Skidder winch and wooden sled ,stripped of its cab ,engine and lines left where it sat at the end of its last setting.
Y&L Wrench BCFP Bear Cr, camp #71 Northwest log loader feel off Bull Car ending up on the camp baseball diamond
rwt BCFP Renfrew Div. This picture shows a house in Beach Camp , I can remember when there were a Locie Shop and a Blacksmith Shop in this general area , and a Lima Shay use to pull Skeleton Car of logs through there to the dump. In the grassy area out front was where the Office , Cookhouse and Bunk House's use to be.
rwt Renfrew Div. A tough setting in Hemmingsten Creek the short guy in the middle is rwt , I was loading logs with the #74 an 80D Northwest , the yarder was the #665 a Skagit 110 Ft. telescoping tower.
rwt BCFP Renfrew Div. Hemmingsten Cr. #74 Loader , #665 Yarder
rwt BCFP Renfrew Div. Lloyd Thompson standing in front of #224 HDX Hayes conventenal, Lloyd Thompson standing in front of #237 HDX Hayes preloader he was issued brand new.
rwt BCFP Renfrew Div. truck #237 an HDX Hayes driver Lloyd Thompson if Lloyd didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have had any luck at times , He had been troubled with a bad back for years . He took time off work to deal with it and was well on his way to recovering from a back operation , and back driving the #237 Hayes . One morning on his way out to the woods, entering a corner while passing Fairy Lake , a tapered ball in the steering broke , the truck went straight off the corner over the embankment . Damage to the truck was minamal , but Lloyd's back didn't fair so well.
Y & L Wrench BCFP Renfrew Div. Messed up these pictures ,reposting them . #71 Northwest log loader fell off Bull Car ending up on Bear Creek Camp's soft ball field.
Hi Steve, Totally awesome picks, the side hill is every bit as steep as I remember when I started setting beads.:beerchug
When was that picture taken I dont see al burgess or dan burns
Which picture?
Don P BGFP Renfrew Div. Picture of Renfrew's main shop 1962 -1982-3
Don P BCFP Renfrew Div. Looking from shop at office and bunkhouses Looking into main Renfrew shop from crane way Looking into Welding shop , attached to main shop
Now those pics bring back a few memories as you can imagine eh? Spent close to eight years there. Thanks again man. Take care.
Well, I finally got my BCFP 1947 Columbia log trailer and rigging home, now for the cleaning and paint
Don P BCFP Renfrew Div. Choo Choo behind the Gordon River Shop building ,if not the best , one of the best trailer reloads on the coast. The trailer reload being hauled from Gordon R. shop to Honeymoon Bay DLS The trailer reload stood up at Honeymoon Bay DLS
There are at least five running around the south end of Vancouver island. Two that I believe to be seaspan with two fixed loading cranes flood ballast totype, these are the most active of the five. Two with crawler crane loaders. One with hydraulic loader. I work right over haro strait directly across from Victoria on San Juan Island great place to view canadian shipping. unload
Nice view it looks like you are across from Island View and Mt. Doug. Great picture.
The picture is from my jobsite about 800ft up looking at Vancouver Is. just north a mile or so of Cadboro bay. I saw that log barge in post #1263 just last week! On a clear day from I can see quite a few logging sites almost as far as mt washington. I love the view that the island provides very beautiful.
I didn't know BCFP was still running barges up the coast.
BCFP hasn't had a tug or barge since Fletcher Challenge sold off the assents of Swift Sure towing in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Long after the vulture from down under had erased BCFP off the face of the earth !
make that the puking dog....maybe we should have a long distance pics of unknown barges with unknown contents heading to unknown destinations thread.
Directions on how to get to the Bear Trestle? Hi Born2clearcut Could you enlighten me on how to get to the remains of the Bear Creek Trestle - I am a local Island hiker/photographer and would love to go and see it and if there is any old equipment around to see - I grew up around the logging industry in Terrace and my husband still works on the equipment. Thanks
I read about another trestle, called the Robinson Trestle, somewhere up the Olympic Peninsula, which they crossed loaded in the same fashion: they sent someone out ahead to walk across and catch the lokie, let the train cross unmanned, and then the rest of the crew walked across and boarded the lokie to continue. I suspect OSHA would have a heart attach en masse in this day and age.
I'll try to PM you directions to Bear Cr. trestle tomorrow night .
Camptramp - that would be fabulous - we are hoping to get out that way either Thursday or next week - so much to explore and see of the old camps.
2 old Hayes BCFP trucks waiting for restoration
Thanks HDX and Camptramp. This must be 6-238. Here from left side. Yes I found her in Stillwater
Hayes HDX old BCFP unit #3-216. Still used as Firetruck #F153 - Owner is IPL, I think.
Good to see old 6-238 with the lowbed off her and the trailer back on her.
Ex BCFP Unit no 6-219 a Caycuse Division Truck. It seems that the Hayes HDX has found a new life.
Gordy I , BCFP Area Logging Manager Roy Sworder ( in suit and tie ) with Bill Malloch , at Malloch & Moseley Logging , Muir Cr. DLS
Taken from a British Columbia Forest Products Limited 1978 Annual Report , showing BCFP holding's in 1978 ten years later we were pretty much history , loaned to me by Bruce Christison .
From BCFP's 1978 Annual Report
The yarder in picture is the #319 a TL15 Washington Trakloader rigged up with a yarding boom , this machine new had a "Goose Neck" loading boom , we use to yard with it , then hang "Tongs" on the mainline and load with it .
Ariel shot of the of log bridge across Loss Creek around 1980
Log Henge ?????
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. A great view of a "Slackline " Yarder ,rigged up for "Shot Gunning" the yarder looks to be a built on a trailer that is moved by a Off Highway Logging Truck , the winch looks like a Madill , the telescoping tower looks to be off a View Spar .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. TL-6 Washington Trak loader loading #6-251 HDX Hayes
I used to drive by all this stuff at the Crown Zellerbach shop at the crossroads on my way to Comox Lake. I was younger then! Thanks for thhe memories.
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. #6-251 HDX Hayes , this is the Hayes conventional that has be floating around the last couple of years . It was shipped up to the Interior , then to Olsens I think I heard someone is doing a rebuild on it . Everybody has a bad day once in a while , but over all Oz treated this Hayes with 'Kid Gloves" it was a real hot rod in its day . I hope it has found another good home .
These pictures were taken before he put the second air horn on the roof. Yes she always looked good I took some pictures a couple weeks ago of her I will post them ASAP. She was sold to Pope&Talbot in Midway then the Olson Group bought her They are doing a really nice job on her Yup she has a good home!!! In the picture above where she is testing the ditch for depth the line horse still has its original 6-### unit number . Remember when we were trying to find out what its original number was In the end she was 40-117 and then they removed the rigging and installed it on 6-246. Just as an update The linehorse rigging has been removed from 246 and she is once again almost a logging truck again! Maybe ask OZ if he remembers what her original number was Al. We all figured she was ex 6-220 6-221 or one of that series.
This is the 6-251 two weeks ago getting rebuilt. Very nice job.
It is nice for us when HDX is on a few days off,we can see good things,thanx
What engine was the 251 running? 3412?
12V71 twin Turbo. most of the Caycuse trucks were repowered with them It was the thing to do in the 80's-90's Vigilant. As for the 3412's There was only the 3 P16's in Franklin that were ordered with them H92 H93 H94 all were red and white in MacMillan & Bloedel colors. However there were a number of V12 Cummins engines sprinkled around in different trucks owned by different outfits. Sproat Lake Division (M&B) had a few as did Mars contracting in their big Kenworth. Sorry to give you bad news after a little happy story. diamondtguy can fill in the blanks about the Pacifics for you.
BCFP bought most of their HDX Hayes with natural V12-71's , when the Caycuse shop started repowering their HDX's with Twin Turbo V12-71's Cal Oliver and Mike Cross rebuilt a couple in the Caycuse shop rather than ship them out to Cullins the Nanaimo GM Deisel rep's . When they were dyno'd , Cal and Mike got more power out of the engine that went in the #6-251 than Cullins could .
Stacks looked a little bigger from that angle, and my eye is not good enough to tell one V-block engine from another at that distance. I will say that, back in the day, I could almost always tell what size Detroit was running, just by the sound, unless it was some odd-ball configuration that was new to me. I am confident that you, and may other old timers like me could do the same.
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. A picture of some of the crew out on the job , I personally don't think I recognize any of them , but people do change with age and judging by the hair cuts and the olive green and cream thermos bottle , it was taken a few years ago. I wonder where they all are now .
Oz Nelson Caycuse Div . I'll bet they got a few bundles of shakes and shingles out of this Cedar tree .
Oz Nelson Caycuse Div. Not sure I think its the 106 dump on Caycues side of Lake Cowichan near head of lakr or Marguerite dump on North side of Lake Cowichan .
Oz Nelson Caycuse Div. An up close look at a View Spar on the move .
OZ Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div . ( Camp 6 ) Pictures of Office , an outside view of main shop , an inside view of main shop , the main part of this shop was once a Locie shop , not sure what year it was built probably in the 1930's the truck bay's were most likely added in mid 1950's. Grease and tire shop's . Sheds to park service vehicles in .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. ( Camp 6 ) Truck sheds with trailer reload , a TL6 loader parked by one of the shops , a view of back entrance to shop area , a picture of off highway log truck fuel and water station , a picture of the Caycuse school house . So many well thought out conveniences to make ones day easier and to take care of equipment . I know there are some FC decal's but the camp was built by BCFP Men .
Oz Nelson BCFP Renfrew Div. William Creek Suspension Bridge , this bridge was built in the mid 1950's . The only land link to Port Renfrew at that time was the "Government Road " from Shawnigan Lake to the BCFP Bear Cr. Camp then take the logging rail road to Beach Camp . As logging was finished beyond Williams Cr. ( on the Shawnigan Lake side of Bear Cr. camp ) and the former Rail Road Trestle / Bridge was due to be replaced , somebody came up with the idea to bridge the canyon with a suspension bridge . Its my understanding the Cables that supported it were recycled from the Boston Bar Aerial Ferry . All the locales use to always have a little fun if some body in the vehicle had never traveled the road , the approach is straight and you can't see the actual bridge , speed up and terrify the guest as you crest over the approach to the bridge , drop down on to the bridge , then feel the vehicle lift off it suspension as you exit the bridge from far side . Cheapest Roller Coaster Ride I was ever on , probably a few car springs have been broken when touching down on far side .
Yes, that was good sport. Living in Duncan at the time (late 60s) once in a while we would get in our minds to run out to the Port Renfrew hotel to have a few beers. This usually happened after we spent an afternoon in the Commercial or the Zoo. We always tried to take someone (usually female) who didn't know the road. Going over the edge of the suspension bridge never failed to cause panic.
Quite picture and story about the old cable suspension bridge. Looks pretty fairly long too. I went across one in California, across the American River. The wife made me go miles out of the way as shouldn't go back across it. Ok course I stopped so she could see the river better and the boulders, then taking off you could feel the bridge move again.
Oz Nelson , a BCFP Nekite River picture taken by Al Schultz , the #6-247 HDX Hayes parked in front of office in down town Nekite River , with a load of Spruce , 1975 .
In post #1382 there is some discussion of re-powering trucks with GM V12-71 twin turbo engines. Approximately how much horse power would these engines develop?
I checked with V12-71 whiz Cal Oliver , the natural V12-71 came with about 430 HP with .055 or .060 injectors , by increasing the size of injectors they could get more HP out of them . When they Twin Turbo the V12-71 they would have about 550 Hp by tinkering with them they could get a few more HP out of them . the ex BCFP #6-251 Tmberwest #40-128 , I heard broke 570 HP when the Twin Turbo V12-71 was Dyno'ed .
Oz Nelson This is a picture of the Bear Creek Camp taken from just off the Dent Cr. M/L , early 1950's , the trestle is the Bear Cr. trestle across Bear Cr. Canyon . At one time the end of steel for the Rail Road was at " Bert's Shack " a Watchman's cabin about 5 miles East of the Bear Cr. Trestle . By the time this picture was taken the end of steel was just East of the Bear Cr. trestle . The garages by the trestle are for the Employee's of BCFP that lived and worked at Harris Cr. Camp , Beach Camp or in the Port Renfrew area , as they could only drive to the Bear Cr. Camp then take the Logging Rail Road to Beach Camp or Harris Cr. Camp .
The nice thing about the 12V71TT and the 16V71TT were when we assembled them is we didn't need to worry about the exhaust when we fired them up..Compared to a non turbo they are nice and quiet with out exhaust.... We were all smiles when a 16V or something not so mainstream like a 3412,12V92 or 12V71TT was fired for the first time....
How 'bout a 16V92 hot rod? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3THPKEkKo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtqv-77_z8 Or is it a 71 series?
Nice ride !!!!
What a great choice of a name, now Al should buy this classic.
I agree you don't see one of these every day !!!
That was sure named for Al. Len what you towing now, sure have enjoyed seeing some of your pictures.
I'm retired now but spent a lot of years in the towboat industry,Coast Guard, off shore research vessels and BC Coast Steamships. Got some good pics of the log towers I worked on though. I currently teach navigation and mechanics during the winter then cruise the coast on my own boat for the spring and summer months. I'll post more pics when I get a moment.
Thanks Len, look forward to seeing you pictures. It sure is good to hear that you are teaching, to often things are taught by book smart people, not someone who has been there and done it all. Nothing better than actual experience, then sharing what you know and have learned over the years.
This sounds interesting Len Burton Its kind of like the amphibious department of Heavyequipmentforums Forestry Equipment!!! Still the odd little artifact in the jungle on the coast. Really enjoy looking at your posts
I'd never thought of being the amphibious department of Heavy equipment forums Forestry Equipment but it put a smile on my face reading it. I put a lot of time in the jungles of the BC West Coast. Some places we went in with log barges,some were booms that had been put together out in the boonies by gypo outfits from Loughborough Inlet, Raza Island and all places north of Cape Caution. Sometimes the weather was good other times we stood the ship on end. One time we'd just passed Cape Caution in Queen Charlotte Strait towing 72 sections of logs when the tow came apart. There were logs floating everywhere from there to Port Hardy. Quite a mess. After a month contracting log salvagers we got the tow back together and continued onto the Frazer River (an additional 10 days)
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. 6-251 HDX Hayes
camptramp Don't know why but the first picture pulling the adverse sure looks like West Haddon 6
I found another pic of my dad logging in the Comox Valley in the 1930s . I can't imagine living in a bunkhouse like this one, and for those that remember the old Hilton "H bunkhouse" in the Port Renfrew Industrial Camp it wasn't so bad.
Hi out there you guys. I need a hand!!! I'm looking for ANY pictures of BCFP Unit 6-246 From what I have seen she was not a truck that was photographed a lot. Due to being up in Malibu camp and so far out of the way it is understandable Dig around and see what you can come up with THANKS A MILLION
HDX go back to page 43 on this thread the truck in pictures is the #6-246 . Can't remember the drivers last name , his first name was Don he's an American so we called him "Yankee" . He use to let me take the loaded truck down to the top of the " Big Hill" the turn around was at the bottom of the "Big Hill" .
Yes that is good I already scoped those out Al, but was wondering if there was any more from between those and her tri color and finally the F/C color. I took a couple of her with the line horse being installed over at Gordon River shop. I needed to see what the ladder arrangement was and a few other details, there was a fair number of things cut off in the conversion. I found the yellow paint under all the other colors when I first saw her some years ago. This led me to wonder why BCFP was still buying trucks in the yellow paint when they switched to the tri color back when Crown Z and M&B were all going from Yellow to their own identity company colors. From what I could track it was a master mechanic's /shop foreman decision when the truck were ordered. Thanks Again for the help. Guess it will be Apache Yellow again, sometime.
Hello hdx are you still looking for that hdx we just bought one that I have yet to see pictures of it on here it just arrived a couple days ago didn't have time to get serial number yet before we left came but its got bcfd colours underneath the paint that's on it now and its got narrow rearends just have to change couple flats and check all oils should have her hauling logs next week will get the serial number as soon as I can and post it here for you
HD2014 Should be a small brass tag approx 1x3 inches with two screws on the dash with her BCFP number Will say 6-### Or even better if the brass plate 3 inches X 6 1/2 with all the info is still on her look for the seven digit serial number Will start with something like this HDX 32-88 and right under that is the serial number Like say 2062340 UNLESS she is newer than 1970 then look for a four digit serial number instead of seven. This is FANTASTIC Thanks for doing this for us. The serial number and a couple pictures will no doubt make some people VERY HAPPY on here. I will supply all the info we can on her after we know who she is WELL DONE Thank You
Here are a few more of the Williams Creek suspension Bridge that I took. I shot one pic looking down, you can see one of the cables and the creek at the bottom. Rick B and I always came into camp from the old Kapoors claim alongside the Kokhala river, and it was a blast to stand on it and see how airborne we got on the other side. Those were definitely the days.
Do'es anybody remember when this sticker showed up on the headliner in BCFP logging trucks , was it from the factory or was it put on at the camps . I've seen it in Renfrew Div. trucks , was it in every Div. ?
I am trying to figure out how to scan slides , Bruce Wilson has been kind enough to lend me his slides . Bruce has covered most positions in the Y&L Department . Starting out in the early 1960's on the rigging at BCFP Renfrew Div. , being a true " Home Guard " stayed at the Div. through the changes in owner ship and names until he got caught up in the Munns Lumber mess in the Mid 2000's , forced into retirement from his job Hoechucking with a Madill 3800 . BCFP Renfrew Div. The first pictures are of the #797 Skajit 120 ft. tower with an IJ-80 inter lock winch , track mounted . The loader was the #74 a Model 80-D Northwest . Bruce W. would have been the Hooktender , Steve Young the Yarding Engineer , Nick Kerluk running the Loader , Stu Smith Landing Man , Arnold Jones , Stan Woods and Chuck Marrow out on the rigging .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #797 Skajit Steel Tower , #74 Northwest Log Loader , Hemmingsen Cr. 1969 , tower fully rigged up . A Hook Tenders view from the tail blocks and an morning sun rise over the South San Juan ridge.
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. , Looking down the Hemmingsen Cr. valley at a Sunrise over the South San Juan Ridge .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. , A load of logs leaving the landing , heading down the hill . The #6-244 HDX Hayes with the #71 Northwest log loader on board the 1st. rear loading Willock Lowbed at Renfrew Div. . Never felt comfortable loading a machine on that lowbed the ramps were to steep and it was steel to steel , no planks , slippery as on ice . Would have been only to happy to take the guy that designed it or he guy that bought it for a ride when I was loading one of those old Northwest's on it .
Kathy Saari Photo , BCFP Renfrew Div. Funny how things work , I got a "Flash Drive" from Bruce Wilson this week , my son was just over for a visit and took the pictures off the Flash Drive and put them on my computer . While looking through the pictures there is a picture of an old BCFP man and former co worker "Ted Bolton" . Ted left us last week , to my knowledge he was the last "Faller" to be broke in at Renfrew Div. after he was trained the Fallers that followed him were hired fully experienced . When the Faller's were on "Contract Rates" he was a legend in his own time . Our thoughts are with his family . Ted Bolton standing Scaler Harold Mayea kneeling .
We had one of those lowbeds in Mahatta when I started there. There was one operator who would take the day off rather than load his loader on the lowbed. Our lowbed had the solid rubber tires on it .Never a flat but if you went to fast for too long they would get hot and come off the rim and the tire man would hate on you. We ended up selling it to Lemare ,think they scraped it years later. Nice pictures by the way brings back lots of memories.
The new rear load Lowbed arrived at Renfrew Div. 1972 or 73 , before that we had a drop center lowbed , we used roadside ramps with a brow log to walk up on and walk across the old lowbed to center . When the new lowbed arrived the deck was at least a foot higher than the old one . No body had the guts to walk up the ramps so we continued to use the old road side ramps to walk across the deck . As you climbed up the ramp side the lowbed , it would lay over to the ramp side , when you hit center , as the lowbed leveled its self , it felt like it was going to throw you off the opposite side . I'll bet it was over a year before any body loaded from the rear . The first time I walked an 599 American loader on to a Columbia Lowbed with the long ramps and wooden deck , it felt like I'd found Heaven .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. #6-251 HDX Hayes lined up to dump at Caycuse DLS . Then lo ading trailer at trailer reload.
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse DLS .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. , Renfrew Div. recieves its first new Madill 009 high lead yarder the #27-10 and Bruce Wilson hangs up his "Caulk Boots" , moves from the Tail Blocks and fighting hang ups to "Pulling Levers" . The #71 a Northwest Log Loader and the #209 an early Caycuse HDX Hayes logging truck , retired from log haul , set up as a Linehorse in picture .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-10 Madill 009 yarder . View attachment 130705 View attachment 130706 View attachment 130707 View attachment 130708
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. , #27-10 Madill 009 Yarder , #6-238 HDX Hayes preloader putting yarder in place #6-244 HDX Hayes in back ground was used to push yarder up hill .
Bruce W. , BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-10 Madill 009 Yarder .
Camptramp, came across these pictures in the bottom of one of my boxes.
Those pictures came from Don Wilson , Bruce Wilson's older brother , I got them for you when you were looking for the sign painting on the older BCFP trucks several years ago , Don drove the #203 for several years , then drove the #6-236 when it was brand new . Good comparison of the old Hayes preloader trailer's that required the log loader to unload the trailer in the woods and a trailer reload to load empty trailer on truck at dump . And newer style BCFP Hayes self loading perload trailer that is pulled up on truck by a winch . The front bumper on the #6-236 isn't even scratched , must have been fairly new , mined you Don spent more time pulling the lowbed than pushing it .
I am working on getting a set (two) made for the doors. No rush because a certain something will take time to get to this point There was some other stuff related and it was from you so I thought it would ring bells Thanks Al
Camptramp,post 1432 shows the Preloader with paint unmarked on inside of the stakes,perhaps she had not pulled her first load?
Bruce W . BCFP Renfrew Div. #71 Northwest log loader , loading out of #27-10 Madill 009 Steel Tower .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div . #71 Northwest log loader , #27-10 Madill 009 Steel Tower . #6-238 HDX Hayes preloader logging truck .
Bruce W . BCFP Renfrew Div #71 Northwest log loader , #27-10 Madill tower , #6-238 HDX Hayes logging truck .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-238 HDX Hayes driver "Little" John Mouat on the running board . He's the reason the #6-238 had an extra step on the ladder up to the driver side running board .
Bruce w. BCFP Renfrew Div. old pictures of Bear Cr. Camp . Community Hall Cook House School House
Bruce W . BCFP Renfrew Div. Bullbucker Eric Saari standing on Bear Cr. Trestle .
camptramp, what can you tell us about this cab?
Inside the cab.
Not sure , BCFP didn't have a lot of KW's if the #6- was for logging trucks I wonder if #5- could mean Gravel truck . When I was at Nekite River in 1978 or 79 there was an 848 KW gravel truck painted white , orange and green , can't remember # , its my under standing it was picked up at an auction , had been formally owned by Al Trace . I've got a picture of the 184 log truck this KW looks a lot newer .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. Bear Cr. Trestle
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. the first picture I've seen before someone has labeled as being the Bear Cr. Trestle , I disagree the landscape is wrong , could be the trestle crossing the San Juan River to get to 'A" line and "D" line .
Yes camptramp she was a gravel truck Now its a spare for Jim Just wondering if somebody had seen it around or had a snap shot of it working
Kathie Saari , BCFP Renfrew Div. These pictures are of the late Eric Saari long time BCFP employ and Bull Bucker at Harris Cr. and Renfrew Div. 1st picture Eric Saari , 2nd picture is Eric Saari and Bob Lahore former Personal Manager at Renfrew Div. 3rd & 4th pictures is Eric Saari and Faller Oly Berg falling a Cedar tree , must be a special purpose tree as it is "Banded" to help keep but t from shattering when tree hits the ground .
Kathy Saari BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Eric Saari faller unknown , 2nd picture looks like a "Ladies Day" tour of the operation ,3rd picture is John Saari , 4th picture is Wife Mary Saari and son Danny Saari standing on large log on #184 a Kenworty logging truck .
Bruce W . BCFP Renfrew Div . #27-10 Madill 009 yarder , #71 Northwest log loader .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #797 a 120 ft heavy gauge , telescoping steel tower on a tank carrier Skagit with an IJ-80 inter lock winch , and the #73 a model 6 Northwest grade shovel converted into a log loader .
Bruce W. BCFP Harris Cr. Camp
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #663 a Skagit 120 ft. Slackline telescoping steel tower mounted on a lowbed carrier , with a Tyee slack line winch . #79 a Model 6 Northwest grade shovel converted to a log loader .
Bruce W . BCFP Renfrew Div. Unloading an old style Hayes preload trailer of the #212 a mid 1950's HDX Hayes , this truck always stood out from the rest of the trucks with its quad head lights , this truck was driven by our late friend Tony Weber .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. (Harris Creek Camp) Second picture is Art Wilson , running a Berger "High Lead " yarder .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. (Harris Creek Camp) Bruce Wilson and his father Art "Burger" Wilson standing on the Berger yarder Art ran .
Bruce W. BCFPP Renfrew Div. (Harris Creek Camp) Bruce Wilson and Virginia Smith standing on Skeleton Car at the Logging Truck to Rail Car Reload at Harris Creek Camp
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. (Harris Creek Camp) Cathy Rust and Linda Martin standing on fender of #203 the first HDX Hayes at Harris Creek . Note #203 was a conventional logging truck when this picture was taken , it was later converted to a preloader logging truck .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. (Harris Creek Camp) Don Wilson with his Caddy parked next to the Kenworth logging truck he drove before he took over the #203 HDX Hayes .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. A barge load of equipment being towed up the North arm of the San Juan River into the Booming Grounds at the old DLS , by the SAN JUAN PRINCE . On board the #27-25 a brand new Madill grapple yarder on a rubber tire carrier , a new 988 at log stacker , and a new conventional log truck trailer , most likely to replace the Hayes trailer on the #224 HDX Hayes logging truck .
Bruce w. BCFP Renfrew Div.
Camptramp how long did they keep the rubber tired Madill before they got tired of standing it back up? Don't think there is one left on the coast any where.
I'm not sure if it ever flopped over in travel mod , but sure looked scary waddling down the road around switch backs , down hills or where the road leans . It did get pulled over once that I know of when the single guyline broke . I'm not sure the exact date it left the div. maybe early 1990's after we became Timberwest . I think it arrived in 1975 or 76 . Threre's pictures of it leaving on page 52 posting 772 Vancouver Island thread . Is that the same under carriage that was used under the log loaders ?
I don't think so,Has what looks like Washington type jacks with the dogs .And it has no engine in the carrier .Most likely powered like track ones with a shaft down the center.
Madill built 12 of these babies 080 RTC carrier, I did run one of for a few months gained a few grey hairs. Your wright 075 down drive, angle box and Washington style jacks. Has a good winch retarder same as the track mount. Notice on barge pic how far back front jacks are, one of work buddies was sitting on a hill jacked her up to level the machine out, swung around and it tipped up on the front wheels. Yikes Thanks for the info on the 075 carriers
I don't think the individuals that had the last say in buying some of these machines ever ran them . " Your Getting a New Machine " , oh by the way , it comes with a change of under wear .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #311 a Washington TL-6 , this machine was new at BCFP Vancouver Bay Div. then moved to Renfrew Div. around 1967 when Van. Bay was shut down . Purchased in the late 1950's , it was still loading logs in the mid 1980's double shifting from a grapple yarder . Finally replaced with a Chapman hydraulic when the metal in frame was so fatigued cracks couldn't be welded .
Bruce W. BCFP Renfrew Div. #799 Skagit grapple yarder , the first grapple yarder at Renfrew Div. Steve Young was the first operator .
Cathels & Sorenson Co. I found these pictures on internet , as Cathels & Sorenson Co. were the first to Rail Road log on the North side of the San Juan River , to be taken over by Hemmingsen & Cameron Co. who were intern bought out by BCFP I thought they belonged on this thread . When my father moved us into Port Renfrew in 1954 , we moved into a house in an area then known as the Renfrew Beach Side . The Rails for the Logging Rail Road had been pulled up the previous year , had they still been there they would have passed right in front of our house. The dump and camp had been located at the mouth of the North Arm of the San Juan River where the Gordon River enters the San Juan R. The reminiscence of the Camp , the Log Dump and Derick used to build the Davis Raft's were still there .
Cathels & Sorenson Co. Port Renfrew B.C.
Cathels & Sorenson Co. Port Renfrew B.C.
It is enjoying to see the pictures of the old steam donkeys. You have to hand it to those guys loading one of them on a rail car, had to be quite a chore. Those guys back then did a lot with very little.
Thanks guys, this is just the 2nd thread I've read since finding you all, read it right through, has taken about 2 weeks of all my spare time but I can't stop, such great pictures of an amazing place and time. What does M/L stand for? Does the grapple yarder operator drop the grapple on logs without assistance in the brush? And did another company take over Chapman hydraulic loaders, or they still going? Thanks again, seems wrong that such great looking company as BCFP couldn't have carried on longer, beats me why things happen the way they do.
Welcome John Shipp; M/L stands for mainline, the yarder operator can spot his own grapple sometimes but there is usually the hook tender watching out in the setting. Chapman industries was taken over by Cypress manufacturing in 87 I believe, you can find out more about them in the Cypress thread on here.
Thanks HD Mech, will go and look up that Cypress thread next. All the best.
Cathels & Sorenson Co. Port Renfrew B.C.
Cathels & Sorenson Co. Port Renfrew B.C.
Rob Norman , BCFP Caycuse Div. ,1st picture , #27-17 a Madill 046 Slackline yarder on a trailer mount , hooked up to #6-249 an HDX Hayes preloader ready to travel . 2nd picture is the old "A"Frame wet dump and booming grounds , log sort area .
Hello I use a projector on the screen then a picture with the flash turned off
Our friend Rob Norman is sharing his photo album's with us . Raised at Camp 6 (BCFP Caycuse Div.) Rob has deep roots in the B.C. Logging Industry , logging is in his blood . His Grandfather was Henry Norman , a High Rigger , Skidder Forman who is credited with introducing the first Lidgerwood Skidder to the B.C. loggers in 1908 . Rob's father Al Norman was the Head Rigger at Caycuse for most of his working life . Rob started working on " the rigging " at Caycuse in 1974 , the ownership and name of the company's controlling the timber holdings have changed several times , but Rob is still there . His favourite job , was running a View Spar Steel Tower Slackline Yarder , unfortunately the Towers were replaced with Grapple Yarders in the late 1980's , Rob now drives Highway Logging Trucks .
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. There are not many pictures of Henry Norman , in this one he his standing in front of the last Steam Skidder Home Spar Tree and the last Skidder Tree he rigged before retiring .
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. Head Rigger Al Norman in his prime and in the Caycuse "splicing shed " on the day of his retirement .
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. Rob Norman on his first day at " work " , standing in front of the logging truck he was driving at Honeymoon Bay DLS , Rob sitting with Ken Hallberg , long time BCFP Rigger , Forman , Superintendent and Manager.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Rigging up crew , Camp 6 Nov. 1942 , Al Norman 2nd left , Henry Norman far right .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. School picture Camp 6 , Nov. 1937 . Al Norman back row 4th from right .
BCFP Renfrew Div. Beach Camp 1962
Mister Tramp: You would not BELIEVE how much the remaining capacity on my external hard drive has diminished thanks to all the awesome photos you and others have posted here. Thank you!
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Gas Skidder crew Camp 6 1941 Al Norman 3rd from right . On Caycuse Summit looking down Nixon Cr. towards Cowichan Lake .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Repairing bearing on Gas Skidder , on Caycuse Summit , Al Norman 3rd from left .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Al Norman 2nd from right .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Rigger Al Norman rigging "Loading Line Block " over center of Rail Road Tracks on a "Guyline" .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , ? , Al Norman , Bill Doidge .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Al Norman back row 3rd from right .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Wardroper Valley mid 1940's John Garnett , Lorn Hall , Persy Hall , ? , Al Norman .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Rigger Al Norman topping "Back Spar" early 1940's at Caycuse .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman with sister Lil on float house late 1920's or early 1930's .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman and Pete Zboyousky repairing ramp to float house after Earthquake on Vancouver Island and Tsuamia on Cowichan Lake 1946 .
Rob Norman BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman is front row 3rd form left .
Great of pictures you have here, thanks for sharing.
The credit goes to Rob Norman , he has gathered numerous pictures and newspaper clipping , old pay stubs . I wish I could post everything Rob has gather on his family and Camp 6 history .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman 3rd from left .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. The last Skidder setting at Caycuse , 1967 rigged by Al Norman ( isn't it amazing Henry Norman rigged the first Skidder Tree in the Cowichan Lake area and his son rigged the last Skidder Tree ) . Note the Lima log loader and preload trailer loaded in landing .
Rob N . BCFP Caycuse The last Skidder setting on Caycuse M/L 1967 . These are some of the "Old Timers " that worked on the Skidder Back row left to right , Steve Medwin , Jim Paton , Len Heal , Hank Nowicki , center row Ed Peck "behind line" Jim Feguson , Pete Zboyovsky , Lorn Atchison . Front Row seated - Al Norman and Lorn Hull .
my grandfather ernie stanyer far left
Good eye , thanks for helping out . So many good men have passed through the Forest Industry , lets not forget them .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div . Al Norman on left swamping on rock drill , during a shut down 1954 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Wardroper Cr. 1940's Gas Skidder . Phil Dwyer & Cec Gilchrist are the truck drivers . This is where Log Truck hauling started in Caycuse .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman (2nd from left) Locie plowing rail road tracks at Caycuse (1930's)
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman rigging wooden spar on Caycuse M/L early 1960's .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Al Norman in the tree rigging and Al Norman "Riding the Passline"
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. This Machine Raised the Wooden Tree and pulled the Guylines and Blocks ,Etc , up the tree to the "Head Rigger" . Don't know which Model it is but it's a Skagit.
More great pictures of how men got the job done years ago. Just real hard to imagine the place they were able to get a steam donkey to, and all the rigging it took to load logs years ago. Talk about putting in a hard day of work!
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #716 View Spar Slackline Rob ran for 5 years . On top of Heather Mountain looking down on head end of Cowichan Lake . Mike Paton was running Washington TL6 log loader .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Rob Norman 1st time loading 716 View Spar onto Off Highway lowbed . The brain chid of Rigger , Woods Forman Bob Norcross directing the operation . March 1981 .
Rob N . BCFP Caycuse Div . #6-249 HDX Hayes doing lowbed duty , driver John Swatsky .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Camp 1963 , Big Fir on lowbed . Left - Right , Kathy , Heather , Rob Norman , Jim Walsh .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse (Camp 6) originally started out as a float camp built by The Industrial Timber Mills Ltd. in the early 1930's , following are some pictures Rob has collected , of its beginning as a Float Camp , to a Camp on land .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Camp 6 early day's as float camp .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. early day's 1934-35 , seated in bunk house , Tom Fraser , Harry Hobson , Harold Pledger , Larry Roland .
Outstanding, sir. Thank you! Time to buy a bigger external hard drive.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. ( Camp 6 ) Winter 1935 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) May 1937 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) 1st picture "Camp Store " on boat day , during Float Camp Day's . 2nd picture " Camp Store " after camp moved up on land .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. ( Camp 6 ) 1940
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) 1941 Wood Scow .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) 1944 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) British Columbia Forest Products Ltd , took over Industrial Timber Mills Ltd around 1946 , with the new owners came change . Camp 6 was moved off the floats on to dry land in 1948-49 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. (Camp 6) This Locie Shop was originally built by Industrial Mills Ltd. in the early 1930's . It was renovated , add on to and adapted to the changing times in the Forest Industry , it was a well built and still use able shop when Timberwest destroyed it in the late 1990's , a credit to the workers who built and worked in it .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1955 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse 1950's , Camp Store and Bunk House's .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1967 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. In 1955 the completion of a road from Honeymoon Bay to Caycuse , was cause for celebration . 1st picture is a cavalcade of vehicles lined up at "Chicken Joe's" on Honeymoon Bay end of new road . The other pictures of the Opening Ceremonies at the Caycuse end of new road . Standing behind the 3rd gentleman to the right is Ken and Babe Hallberg .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Okay we got the Float Camp on land , we got access to the outside world . Lets get some wood over the "Brow Log" at the "Dump" to pay for it .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #4 Climax Locie Les Coburn -Engineer , Wes Coburn - Fireman , Pete Whisker - Brakeman .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Willamette Skidder 1954 .
^^^ Back in the days when diesel turned to molasses in the winter, eh?
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #5 Climax Locie heading out with #70 and #94 Washington TL 15 Track Loaders on flat cars . Interesting that the picture is developed backwards notice the #5 on Locie and the operators cab on wrong side of loaders .
In Post 1533 above, I believe I see two pots on one sled in the foreground. That is a first for me. I assume that was the yarding donkey. I see what must have been a loading donk in the background. Was that setup in the foreground some kind of super-powered twin-pot yarding donkey, or is there another story behind it? Thanks.
I check picture in computer blown up , it looks like 2 donkey's on cribbing side by side .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Jim Ferguson (4th right - back row ) Mike Doxer ? (Front row left )
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Ken Hallberg front row 4th from left wearing hard hat ( always promoted safety ). 1st picture .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Last train load of logs leaves log truck to rail car reload at 61/2 (c 11) July 1954 Ken Robertson - Engineer , Gord Mutch - Brakeman . Many of Rob Norman's pictures are from the Ken Hallberg collection , thank you to the late Ken Hallberg for leaving us these pictures of historic changes in the Forest Industry .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. The future meets the past as the last train load of logs makes it way to the dump July 1954 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. The last train load of logs makes its way down Caycuse Summit at South Fork Switch Back (now haul road C 4) July 1954 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Dumping last train load of logs at Caycuse ( Camp 6 ) July 1954 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. "Lifting the Steel" Scrape Dealer pulls up rail road tracks in front of Caycuse office.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Climam Locie 5 Spot leaving Caycuse on Spruce Raft for junk yard . Sold for $500.00 scrape .
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. #91 Northwest Grade Shovel , Richard Zboyousky connecting Caycuse and Mclure M/L's 1962 .
Rob N . Not sure where this was taken , could be at Caycuse , loading a contractors truck ?
LittleJimmy We'll always be camp 6 kids. My most enduring friends. Our parents were the best of friends and Rob and I still are to this day. Caycuse is my personal Camelot even though we moved out in 1968.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Wally Carlson picking up a couple of stray logs on road side with #70 a TL 15 Washington Trak Loader , while loader on lowbed .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Mid 1950's , Wally Carlson loading with #70 a Washington TL 15 Trak Loader Garnett Margetish on the ground . Note the cab on loader has been raised a little from last pictures of it
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Loading with a "Heel Boom" on a wooden spar tree .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Some basic rigging drawing's .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Camp 6 was a safe camp to work in Ken Hallberg and Ed Peck are holding up a WCB banner that prove it .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Camp 6 had a very strong Community Spirit .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Skidder setting a couple of miles past Wilson Cr. on Caycuse M/L .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div . Rig-up Machine ( Goat ) mounted on an old Army Truck with twin towers . Would also log small cut blocks and corners .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Wyssen Carriage , built in Switzerland . The Wyssen Sled sat on top of the mountian on West side of McLure Lake . The "Tail Hold" was on the hill side on the East side of McLure Lake . 5000 ft. of Skyline . This Project ran from early to mid 1960's Logs were lowered off hill side into McLure Lake - "Chaser" was in a "Boom Boat" . Logs loader out during Summer shut down . Several "Strip's" were logged over 4-5 years . The company got a reduced "Stumpage Rate" and saved on road building cost's. Ken Hallberg's idea .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div., John Sawatsky at Mclure Lake standing in front of #220 HDX Hayes preloader , great picture of the old style perloader trailer that was loader on truck by the "Dump Machine " or trail reload and was unloaded by log loader at the loading side , before "Self Loading " preload trailers were invented .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. The 1st View Spar-Matic arrives at Caycuse 1962 , parked at the Caycuse Shop .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Camp 3 was located at the head of Lake Cowichan along side Kissinger Lake . In 1956 the Camp 3 shop built a "Tin Tree" ,
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Sticky Sirup running the #798 the first Grapple Yarder to arrive in Caycuse 1969-1970 ?
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Transporting a Flag Pole , for Calgary Stampede 1981 . (Roy Shultz Photo's)
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Left Keith Sharpe , Right Don Tolson .
Rob n. BCFP Caycuse Div. Falling across Nitinat Lake from Nitinat Village .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Faller Jack Miller
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Scaler Walter White
Rob N. Looking down from the top of divide between Browns Cr. and Braden Cr. at the site of the old Renfrew Div. Camp , and out over San Juan Bay . 2011
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Logging on the shore of Cowichan Lake just East of Caycuse .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Wally Carlson Front right with pipe .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Here's a little piece of history you won't see very often , a share certificate from 1913 .
Camptramp,did you see my PM?
Yes thanks.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , The 1st truck side at Caycuse was at Wardroper on North side of Cowichan Lake , between Cottonwood Cr. and McKay Cr. , truck driver is Phil Dwyer .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Truck side at Wardroper Cr.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Wardroper Valley , Phil Dwyer in truck , Buster Murch & Gord Margetish on load , Doug MacGowen & Cec Black on logs by Cat .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Skidder at Caycuse 1950's .
Rob N . BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Skidder 1950's
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture Cat Skinner Steve Miller at work , Photo say's 1953 , the Cat looks fairly new it has a "U" Blade with hydraulic tilt and a "Power Shift" transmission , but doesn't look like it has a "Roll Over" Canopy (early ,mid 1960's ?) 2nd picture Steve Miller & Jim Ferguson , the biggest log they ever yarded with a Cat , Caycuse M/L 1950's .
From the general "look" of that D8 and the hydraulic blade options, it is likely no older than early 1960's. There is discussion in other sub-forums on this site about when cable blades were phased out by Caterpillar. The consensus is that you could get cable blades and pony starting motors up to about 1970 upon special order. Apparently hydraulic blade options were slow to be accepted because the valving made blade operation much slower than a cable blade until improvements were made. I posted a photo of my Dad's brand new D8 14A that had a cable blade and it was a 1958 machine. In reading further the D8H was introduced in 1959 and the 46A model was the first available with a power shift transmission. Other online sources say this model was introduced in 1958 and it is a bit hard to believe that there is disagreement on models and dates of mfg. So, it is possible this photo is from 1958-9, but early sixties still seems more likely.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Wardroper Cr.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Log Truck to Rail Road Skeleton Car Reload area and Log Truck Shop at 6 1/2 (now C11) at head waters of Caycuse River , just over Caycuse Summit .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Loading trailer on empty Logging Truck at Reload (6 1/2) .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Transferring load of logs from Log Truck to Rail Car at 6 1/2 . Its interesting to see the metal round stock hanging from lifting strap (sling) attached to "Spreader Bar" on right side of truck used to lift the "Load of Logs) is balanced so it can be swung under load to be attached to lifting strap on Rail side of load .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Reload at 6 1/2 .(Road call now C11) View attachment 137389 View attachment 137390
D8h 46a I agree Sidney 43 It looks like a High Horse 270hp 46A to me. I can't see clearly but the low hp (230hp) had the hydraulic pump and tank in front of the radiatior, I can't tell on this one. But no wait..... the air cleaner says low hp model. The high horse 46A had the air cleaner on a tilt at 90 degrees to the tractor. This one doesn't have the removable panel cutout in the side panel to access the air cleaner. The winch looks more like a hyster D89C model so it must be a high hp... the low hp model would have most likely had the D89A model. Also the early model hydraulic cylinders were shorter, the top end of the cylinder ended at the cross tube. So it is high hp? This one has the longer cylinders allowing you to drop the blade lower and raise it higher. The canopy looks kinda funny, like it came off a 14A. Low hp? I sure do like the straight stack on her. On a cold start you can really blow the smoke rings!! With a straight stack you really need the ear plugs the turbo whine can give you a headache after a full day on it. But man she sounds like she has a ton of power. OK.... so right next to the steering clutches there is a lever to pull to engage the starting motor. So there it is....it is a D8...The sticker says so. it is a 46A....it screams it out at us....but high hp? low hp? Where's the picture of the serial #? I'm going to do a complete flip flop and say it is a low hp D8 46A with a D89c winch. I would guess it is a later model of the low hp model incorporating some of the latest development that became the High HP 46A. Man that was confusing!!
Rob N. Truck to Rail Car Reload at 6 1/2 (now road call C11) on Caycuse M/L.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div . L. Neal , J. Paton , P. Zboyousky , L. Atchison .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Here's a rare glimpse of a very important part of any Rail Road Logging Operation the Bridge Crew and their Pile Driver , building the Nixon Cr Bridge . 1940's
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Coldecker Yarder on Rail Car outside Caycuse Shop .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div . Retired Climax Locie sits on Spruce Raft , awaiting its last trip across Cowichan Lake . Sold for scrap $500.00
You just made my day with those reload pics. Thanks. Looks to be the same setup they used at Vail.
This is where the BCFP brass wanted to move the camp when it came off the water. If it hadn't have been for Ken Hallberg it may have been so. Ken argued that he wouldn't have been able to build a family camp and retain a good work force if the company put the camp out at 6 1/2 mile. He stuck to it and eventually the brass in the Big Smoke (Vancouver) came around. Ken was a prince of a man who help make camp live much better for all of us who lived there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzGbmH61dhU For the record, I have less than no use for Geraldo. But I liked this video about Coffman Cove and life in the camp.
I have to agree with you, never had much use for Geraldo, either. The video though was enjoyable to watch, thanks for sharing it with us.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. This Grade Shovel was demolished when it fell off "Bull Car" , early 1950's , Spur C9 . Ed Peck far left .
camptramp - thank for the great pictures. There is just something about black and white that color does not have and one of those things is the sharpness of the photos that early color just could not match. Redwood climber - thanks for clearing up what model and year that D8 was. Very enjoyable analysis. Your comments brought back memories of starting the D8 on a cool summer morning, the bark of the pony motor and the smoke rings from the diesel engine when it first started. They were pretty loud and there was no mistaking if it was a D7, or the D8 bringing a turn in.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. The life of a Logger in the early days was Hard and Dangerous work , even when they had and practiced good work habits , things could go wrong and when they did it happened in a hurry . They didn't have the "Safety Net" to catch them that is in place today , if you got Crippled or worse killed , it was pretty much your own problem . Jim Atchison was a High Rigger at Caycuse when he was seriously injured falling 90 ft. from a tree in 1937 .
Jim Atchinson High Climber Thanks for the story of Jim Atchinson not many climbers live through a fall of 90 feet. It is hard to believe we did not take better care of our injured and disabled employees back then. Shame on us. A fall from 50 feet is generally considered the "coffin zone" almost always fatal. I had a climber fall from 50-55 feet and came out of it with only a dislocated shoulder. He and I both believe it was divine intervention. Hearing a man scream when he believes he is falling to his death is not easily forgotten.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse div. Here you go RCP57 . This is the train wreck you found the remains of at Lacy Cr . The wreck involved 2 Climax Locie's and 20 log car's , 1 locie with 10 loaded log cars had a run away traveling down rail grade from Caycuse Summit to a long tail track at switch back , a second Climax Locei with10 loaded log cars was parked on the tail track taking on water ' when the run away locie ran in to it .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. More of late 1940's train wreck on C4 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Shop crew 1950's .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Water Taxi leaving Caycuse .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Log Dump , early 1960's #208 an HDX Hayes being dumped .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
RobN. BCFP Caycuse Div. Kitchen in Cook House and Dining Room , Decorated for Christmas Dinner .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. ,Atchison's Gas Pump's at Caycuse Camp Winter of 1968-69 .
Man that is a ton of snow there, is that more than most winters or a usual amount?
camptramp The picture on post 1620 showing the bunkhouse room. Same as Franklins!!! We managed to scoop some of those same chairs for the Dispatch Shack/drivers room. When Weyco was bulldozing and otherwise leveling Franklin Camp,- I managed to grab 4 of those chairs and still have them in my shop today! They are still very comfortable and a reminder of the best days we had. We lost a lot of other stuff because management had two guys go and cut our locks off our lockers and dump everything out and take them away. They even swiped my 35 MM camera that was in there along with some other stuff. They never even told us they were going to do it. Gotta love weyco
Actually Ed is standing directly behind Ken, Pat Walsh to Ken's left.
My home address has been on Southern Vancouver Island my entire life , there have been several "Snowy Winters" in my memory , but the Winter of 1968-69 was the coldest and had the greatest accumulation of snow for the longest period of time . It started snowing on the evening of December 26,1968 , it eased up around New Years 1969 ,we went back to work after the Christmas shut down for three days . It snowed every day and froze every night for three days , the camp was shut down until sometime in Feb. when some of the "Home Guards " got back to work , I didn't get back to work until the middle of March . I was "Pulling Rigging' on a high lead side in snow up to my chest , I'm 6 ft. tall .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , Duncan Truck Show June 2012 . This truck hauled logs for many years in Caycuse and was originally #213 , it along with #214 were the first Pre-load log trucks . They arrived in Caycuse in 1956 .
Wow it's great to see you're keeping the BCFP thread alive Al . I have a bit of catching up to do. Hope you and family are doing well . Still don't have computer setup yet just using phone right now . I'll Try to get on alittle more often.
Good to hear from you , hope all is well with you and your family . We'er a little short handed these day's , so we can use all the help we can get . LOL You must have known Bob McMillan , his son Pat is a good friend , has his Dad's slides , should be interesting .
camptramp, Thanks for taking the time to post all the great photos, I'm really enjoying them. I did my apprenticeship with BCFP's Pitt Lake Division in the early 60's and some of the iron is similar to what was there at that time. Even the bunkhouse room picture is very similar to the room I stayed in. I got a few photos from there and will post them this coming winter, not as old as yours. Thanks again.
I second the appreciation, Mr. Tramp. Thanks.
I've been very fortunate to be living in an area where lots of old BCFP guy's live , and lots of them have been great about digging out their photo albums and allowing me to share them on these threads . I also have to acknowledge friends and fellow loggers that have also loaned us their pictures to be posted . Haven't seen to many picture's from Pitt Lake , looking forward to seeing them when you get time to post them .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Camp 3 was located at the west end of Lake Cowichan along side Kissinger Lake .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 . Waddy Weeks was the last Lokie Engineer on the BCFP Bear Cr.- Beach Camp logging rail road at Port Renfrew , I remember the last train load of logs being dump at Port Renfrew . I thought Waddy was at the throttle of that train , could the Port Renfrew Div. have dumped its last train load of logs first , then sent Waddy over to Camp 3 to dump the last trainload of logs there ?
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3
Al I found 6-245 Was the one we were talking about
So the #6-245 end up a water tanker and the #6-246 ended up a Line Horse .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 1955
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , #17 a Pacific Coast Type Shay sits at Camp 3 , Manufactured 2-1928 sold to Weyerhaeuer Timber Headquarters Camp Washington , sold to BCFP 10-1947 , scrapped in 1959 after 29 years working in the woods .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Shaw Cr. rail road Log Dump and Booming Grounds , on North West side of Lake Cowichan , 1939 .
Yes She looks kind of well worn now though. I will stop and take a couple pics maybe tomorrow of 245. Would like to have got pics of the two of them together again Never know Maybe a side trip in order
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , found better picture of train dumping at Shaw Cr. dump .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , A log flume moving logs from up hill above North Shore Rock Cut , into Lake Cowichan . Note rail road grade underneath it .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , picture showing rail road tracks running through middle of Camp 3 .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 ,Rigging up a 150 foot high Spar Tree with three sets of guylines . Note the two riggers working in spar tree . 1940
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 ,Fallers removing parallel under cut with picaroon -type axe . 1943
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Styeam Skidder rigged up on Southwest side of Lake Cowichan , looking across Lake at "North Shore Rock Cut" .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Big Cold Deck Setting looking down on Head of Lake Cowichan (Lower Right) , photo courtesy of Jock Paton .
Rob N BCFP Camp 3 , A cold deck pile and view over looking the Head of Lake Cowichan .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3
Rob N. BCFp Camp 3
Do I see one, or possibly two hard hats to the left in that photo? If so, someone was ahead of the times.
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 Rig-up machine , it would be used to raise Wooden Spar Tree's and help rig them . It would also be used to yard small corners and small setting's .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , An early version of a Steel Tower built in the Camp 3 shop by shop crew in mid 1950's . And master mechanic Ray Ross with Ray Vye Camp 3 Superintendent who's idea the steel tower was.
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 A young Mike Paton ballasting rail grade in 1955 with a 1947 Dodge single axle gravel truck .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Operator Roy Lloyd yarding logs with a LeTourneau Dozer , to Tuck Lake Rail Road Reload .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 #70 a Washington TL 15 Track Loader at Tuck Lake Reload . Tuck Lake in back ground .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 Building the Parker Cr. bridge Mike Dwyer in charge
I think these are some of the best pictures you've posted Al. Very interesting and amazing quality photos.
The quality prints way back in the day almost makes me want to get one of them old cameras 70 to 80 year old pictures they are great.
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Bridge over Nitinat River ,on rail grade connecting Tuck Lake to Camp 3 was washed out in 1948 or 1949 .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , A skyline is rigged over washed out Nitinat River trestle , to rebuild it . 1949
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , The rebuilt Trestle over the Nitinat River , the skyline still in the sky above it . 1949
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Cherry Picker crossing Nitinat River trestle . 1949
Gerry VanBeers , BCFP Renfrew Div. #762 (No. 1 Slackline ) Skagit Yarder on wooden sled . Note the small shed to the right , it was actually a trailer that was used to carry extra rigging in . Even after that Yarder was put on a 120 ft. telescoping Steel Tower , that trailer accompanied the machine where ever it was rigged up .
Gerry VanBeers ,BCFP Renfrew Div. #73 a Model 6 Northwest loading #201 a late 1940's or early 1950's Off Highway Kenworth . July 1965 .
Gerry VanBeers ,BCFP Renfrew Div. A mobile "A" Frame built by Hayes for BCFP's DLS at Renfrew Div.
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Most larger rail road logging operation's usually had a mobile steam crane , referred to as a "Cherry Picker" to do miscellaneous duties around the operation and to pick up stray logs lost off rail car's on side of rail grade . Camp 3's was named the "Black Maria" . A sad story goes with this machine , the operator was Gordon MacLean , when Camp 3 closed down , quite a few of the Camp 3 crew moved over to Camp 6 (Caycuse) . Gordon chose to leave the logging industry and go to work in town at an Iron Workers job , tragically he was working on the Second Narrow's Bridge when it collapsed .
Rob N BCFP Camp 3 , The Black Maria moving a Spar Tree to next setting on Rail Road .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , A Gas Skidder caught fire and burnt up , Shaw Cr. 1940's .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , A cold deck pile over looking Tuck Lake . Parker Cr. and Branch 2 in the back ground .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Looking down on Kissinger Lake at Camp 3 , Nitinat .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Mike Dwyer topping his 1st tree late 1930's
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Plowing snow off the rail road tracks 1940's
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Gas Skidder "Coldecker" on the move , Shaw Cr. 1940's .
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 Coldeck pile 1940's
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 Skidder Logging 1940's
Camptramp, Thanks for taking time share all the pictures you have been posting. Sure interesting seeing how they used to harvest the trees.
CT,post1675 with snow Plowright. We have one sitting on a siding in Ladysmith,not sure if same or not. Just rusting away. Also we have a one of a kind.Humbergin. That was used to offload rail cars. It travelled along side 4 cars at a time and kicked the loads off into the water
Need more pictures, very interesting first thing I check out each morning. Those old loggers sure worked hard back in the day.
Rob N. BCFP Camp 3 , Removing Drums , Winch and Engine off worn out Cold Decker Sled , 1940's .
Gerry VanBeer's BCFP Caycuse Div. , 7220 American Log Loader .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp , The Bear Cr, Trestle .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp , Bear Cr, Trestle with #8 Heisler , pulling train of loaded Skeleton cars across trestle .
Rob N . BCFP Bear Cr. Camp .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp ,Bear Cr. Community Hall and Bear Cr. School .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp , Bear Cr. Cook House .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp , loading at a track side show , Note loading crew using strap with eye's in points of tongs to load large log on rail car .
Rob N. BCFP Cottonwood Cr. Camp 5 1926 . The yarder has timbers and a jack under the corner , I wonder if it was mounted one a rail car .
Rob N. BCFP Cottonwood 1920's I count 17 men in this picture , that's almost as many as the whole crew in some camps I've been in . I recall the late Roy Johnson telling us about a yarder referred to as a "Unit" , it was a track side machine moved on the rail road and had a Loading Winch on the front and the Yarding Winch on the back , the machine in picture looks to be a "Unit" . Its made up of a lot of steel I wonder what it weights .
Rob N. BCFP Cottonwood Camp 5 , 1924 Jim Ferguson far left .
That " Unit" looks to be pretty darn good sized. I am totally amazed at the new machines and their capabilities, but back in the steam days how they were able to do what they did was truly amazing.
It is also amazing how much smaller cable diameter has become, still pulling the same load, less jaggers, and lasting longer.
Rob N. BCFP Youbou Saw Mill on Cowichan Lake 1950's .
Speaking of great folks on this forum, as always, I thank you, Mr. Tramp.
Rob N. BCFP Youbou Saw Mill , Men's bunk house , burned down l ate 1940's .
Rob N. BCFP Youbou Saw Mill , Ladies bunkhouse also known as the "Hen House" .
Rob N. BCFP Youbou Saw Mill
Rob N. BCFP Youbou , A logging train in Youbou , A CNR train pulling a train load of lumber out of Youbou and a pair of Speeder's plowing snow off rail road track's through Youbou .
Rob N. BCFP Bear Cr. Camp , The camp "Cherry Picker" loading logs at a landing where logs are yarded to the track side by Cat's . I remember this Old Cherry Picker parked behind the Black Smith shop at Beach Camp in the mid 1950's . When the Rail Road day's were winding down , I remember some Box Cars that had been used in past years for a Work Camp on the rail road , being pushed through Camp to the Cherry Picker which was set up along a stretch of beach on the way to the Dump . The box Cars were parked in front of the Cherry Picker , its mainline was wrapped around the body of the box car to choke it , the Cherry Picker would slack the mainline enough to swing its boom to a rock face across the tracks from the beach . It would then swing its boom towards the beach when the slack in the mainline came up tight , the box car was flipped off its trucks out on the beach . It reminded me of casting a lure with a fishing rod . The Box Car would be then be lite on fire and another box car pushed forward to take its place . until all the box cars were on the beach burning up . After the rail road was shut down around 1957 or 1958 the Chery Picker , 2 Locie's , 4 Speeders and a push car were our play grounds until the scrap dealer came and tore up the tracks and cut up the Locie's .
More outstanding photos. Thanks again, sir.
Yes Mr. Tramp. Great pics. Your last comet about the play ground reminds me of my time in Franklin River when I was a kid, playing in the boneyard.
Yes Mr. Tramp I never would of thought that the island would get very much snow, Great pictures I owe you a few cool ones for all your great efforts here.:drinkup
Life was so much simpler then , any old relic or abandoned piece of equipment , boat , truck or car within walking distance from home and a bit of imagination , would provide hours of entertainment . Can't remember anyone getting a major injury , but today there would be a 12 foot fence around that stuff to protect us . And now we have to provide our children with $1000,000.00 play ground's that they get bored on . I think we had way more fun .
And they wouldn't care anyway, since they would be hoynotised with their iphones and social media. God help us.
Al L. BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS 1977
Al L. BCFP Renfrew Div. 1978 #16-23 Northwest on a Madill rubber tire carrier log loader , loading #6-225 HDX Hayes preloader logging truck .
Al L. BCFP Renfrew Div. 1978 Bull Bucker Herb Halliday .
Rob Norman , BCFP Wakeman Sound Div. April 1975 , 1st picture Camp office , 2nd picture Cook House , 3rd picture Bunk Houses , 4th picture Shop .
Rob N. BCFP Wakeman Div. 1975 , 1st picture road to Family Quarters , 2nd pi cture , Family Quarters .
Rob N. BCFP Wakeman Div. 1975 , A view of Wakeman Sound and looking toward Log Dump .
Rob N. BCFP Wakeman Div. Three Grizzly Bears cleaning up garbage behind Camp , then taking an evening stroll along Wakeman River.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #774 Viewspar , D Branch 1974 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Winter 1974 , #312 Northwest Log Loader, #774 Viewspar Steel Tower on Br. M-10 . 3rd picture Alf Atkinson (left) Jim Clark (right) Wes McKechnie on machine running board .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Winter 1974 , 1st picture Alf Atkinson o n ground , **** Healy on Cat . 2nd & 3rd pictues Big log we yarded on mid setting 12 ft. at widest part of Butt .
Just have to ask about the cat on a yarding side. I notice it has an arch type structure on the winch, so exactly what was a cat used for here. Also am curious if most of the really large old growth like the twelve footer had as much defect as the one pictured.
In the 1950's up until the mid 1970's , BCFP's larger operations like Renfrew and Caycuse had 2 or 3 Cats yarding logs full time , quite often they were yarding logs right to a log loader at a tower side landing . Or piling logs up at a roadside landing within walking distance , for the log loader to load out when the tower was being turned around or rigging up or moved . When the Cat was near at hand , it would be recruited push the built up branches and bark off the landing to keep the landing clean and tidy . The practice of yarding logs with a Cat was fazed out sometime in the 1970's , when the Department of Forestry started to cut back on the erosion of the side hills caused by the Cat trails along the side hills during Winter rain falls on the West Coast.
Thanks for the response. A cat around a tower would be very useful for many things, but I am sure the bean counters decided they were extra expense. The phasing out of cat logging happened about the same time in N. California, maybe into the mid eighties. By that time rubber tired skidders were getting pretty common to try and get around some of the complaints the forestry people had, even if it was in areas where winter rainfall was not so heavy.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Winter 1974 , #320 American 7220 In shop yard , Stickey Sirup jumped off machine before it slid off ice road on D-Branch . Cab was demolished .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Spring 1976 , Caycuse M/L before 4 Mile Cr. #779 ViewSpar yarder , #300 Northwest Log Loader , #6-252 , #6-242 , #6-231 HDX Hayes logging trucks .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture Landing Bucker Joe Olsen , 2nd & 3rd pictures Chaser Ken Ramm unhooking chokers .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. , #779 VIEW SPAR , Armas Matson the operator . Gravity Slacklining ( sometime called "Shotgunning") Rob was the Rigging Slinger on this setting , nice "Wood" well laid out setting , our best day 12 Off Highway Logging Truck loads .
Al,in Post 1715, any reason that tank is laying on the ground? I guess it could be for the Zcat but just seems out of place.
The fuel tank by the yarder is probably for the loader , the Northwest Shovels only had small fuel tanks 50 maybe 60 gallon tanks , it was a daily ritual to hand pump fuel from a portable tank into the shovel to top up fuel tank .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. John Heyd , great Hooktender , he spent his last couple of years Landing Bucking before retirement .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture Doug MacDonald Slackline Hoo ktender undoing chokers . 2nd picture Doug Wainman 2nd Rigger on Slackline
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st & 2nd pictures #313 Washington TL6 Trak Loader , #716 Viewspar Slackline Steel Tower on Cottonwood Cr. , looking across valley at Widow Cr. 3rd picture looking down from landing on to Lake Cowichan .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. 1979 , Oz's first truck at Caycuse #6-221 HDX Hayes , above Fish Hatchery Nitinat Lake ( Nitinat #9 ? ) M & B Upper Hitichie .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. Above Nitinat Lake .
Oz Nelson BCFP Caycuse Div. McKay Cr. #6-251 HDX Hayes .
Oz N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #6-251 HDX Hayes , Br. C 5 (top of Caycuse Summit first right turn)
Oz N BCFP Caycuse Div. 1981 Hatton 2 .
Oz N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Hatton 2 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #70 Washington TL 6 Loader , #27-17 Madill Slackline Tower mounted on lowbed trailer , brand new , on D Branch .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #716 ViewSpar #313 TL 6 loader , Branch 137 (very close to head of Lake Cowichan)
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. #716 ViewSpar #316 Lima log loader , 4 mile Cr. , Gravity Slacklining also referred to as "Shot Gunning"
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture #716 ViewSpar 2nd & 3rd pictures , Slackline Rigging Slinger Rob Norman . 4th Picture Chokerman Bob Forester
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Looking down o n Log Booms near Caycuse from D Branch .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Cotton Wood Cr. #779 ViewSpar , #300 Northwest Log Loader , #6-252 HDX Hayes logging truck (Terry Steeves driver) Armas Matson broke Rob Norman in running ViewSpar Slackline on this setting .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Next few photos looking down from Cotton Wood Cr. at Rigging Crew from landing with Caycuse Camp in back ground .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture Smoke from Caycuse DLS in back ground . 2nd picture , new setting at back of Cotton Wood Cr. Valley looking at landing from down in Canyon , Rob N. pulled Rigging on this setting . 3rd picture is Cotton Wood Cr. , Block hung off bottom of carriage , skid line went through block with Hook & Chokers , We pulled hook way down in 2nd growth to get run away logs , where there were no stumps for for Tail Holds .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. From landing 1/2 way up Heather Mountain , #716 ViewSpar Rob Norman ran this machine from 1980-1985. Good Machine , lots of power never used 1st gear , 2nd gear low range would pull anything . #313 Washington TL 6 loader Mike Paton operator , #6-240 HDX logging truck .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Looking down from Heather Mountain at Kissinger Lake and the site of Old Camp 3 , shut down in 1982 by CZ .
Rob N BCFP Caycuse Div. Looking down from Heather Mountain at , 1st picture , West at the Nitinat River Valley , 2nd picture down at the head of Cowichan Lake , 3rd picture , down Cowichan Lake to the Village of Lake Cowichan , 4th picture is looking up at #716 ViewSpar on Heather Mountain from North Shore Rd.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. This was the last setting for #716 ViewSpar back end of Cotton wood Valley , Fall 1985 . This was and still was a good machine . This and the other ViewSpar's from Caycuse were sold to a firm in Washington or Oregon State .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. This was the last load of logs from the last setting for the #716 ViewSpar on Cotton Wood Cr. , Oct 1985 .
Good picture of 6-240 She would end up being sold to Hayes Forest at the big T/W garage sale. Her new HFS number was 723 She was cut up in their yard a couple years ago. I bought her shutters along with a 3408(parts) engine after she was cut up. There was only a chunk of the frame with the rad on it left of her when I found her. Sad end for another one. there is the odd picture of her on here . I drove her for a while as HFS was having their way with 17. The doors were so bad you could not really fix them without a total rebuild. One of our clown lowbed drivers near the end of Weco hauled two HDX preloads to Camp B (Cameron Division's H90 and H91) to be parked and he actually rolled them off the side of the lowbed with a 988 Smashed them fairly good . When HFS inherited the remains of these two they just cut them up I managed to save two doors that were fixable and worked on them at home then took them out with Vic Rowlinson and installed them on a weekend. She did look kind of funny with the yellow paint job and two red and white doors BUT they sure did work good. Don't know what happened to that cab but would be easy to identify with those doors.
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Rob Norman standing in front of his favorite ViewSpar #716 at Caycuse Reunion 1988 . #716 , #774 , #775 , #779 ViewSpars were sold to Mike Walsh of Auburn Washington for $60,000.00 .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Double shifting On Heather Mountain , Garnett Margetish running #16-8 loader , loading #6-242 HDX Hayes log truck .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Double shifting on Heather Mountain ( Night Shift )
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture , Sticky Sirup running #798 Skagit Grapple Yarder , this was the first Grapple Yarder at Caycuse . 2nd picture Howard Donahue running #798 Skagit GY , Frank Stevees running #317 Washington TL 6 log loader . D Branch 1978
Can anyone tell s a bit more about the 044 in the picture? It looks to be running with two guylines and has an overheight cab. Interesting modifications.
DBDL if it has two guylines it is an 144 not a 044
075,atCZ,after the first 044 fell on its face company put 2nd guy line on all 3 of these. One still went face first with 2 guys out.
075 , Caycuse had a Madill Grapple Yarder on tracks that appeared to be conciderably larger than the 044's at Renfrew Div. , is there a Madill 046 ? I think it was shipped up to Sandspit not long after the merger of Caycuse and Renfrew Div . in 1992 .
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div . 1st picture Dave Whiskin driving #6-249 HDX Hayes , loaded at Caycuse DLS . 2nd picture Dave loaded at Hatton M/L . 3rd picture Dave standing by #6-249 painted in new Fletcher Challenge colours , renumbered #40-126 . 4th picture Dave Whiskin on #40-126 pulling lowbed with #54-66 on board . 5th picture is Bill Norcross , lowbed driver Dave Whiskin , loader operator Brian Schulz .
Good looking truck....looks like it got repowered..That's not the 12v71 in the 3rd pic
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. 1st picture Archie Doucette & Garnett Margetish standing in front of short large Fir logs on F 3 end of Caycuse M/L . 2nd picture Landing Bucker Archie Doucette standing by Fir log . 3rd picture is loader operator Garnett Margetish getting Fir logs ready to load with American 7220 log loader . 4th & 5th pictures Garnett loading logs on #6-228 HDX Hayes log truck .
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Garnett Margetish loading out large Firs . 5th picture is Garnett Margetish loader operator , Archie Doucette Landing Bucker , Walter Cooke log truck driver on front of #6-228 log truck .
It is a 12v71 but it has been up graded with twin turbos , the shop crew ( Gordy Roberson , Cal Oliver , Mike Cross , sorry if I missed anybody ) at Caycuse took good care of their log trucks .
Cool....that explains why its still got the twin mufflers in the 4th pic..Looks like the engine got a fresh coat of paint as well
Can't remember , I've driven the truck , but I think that is a brand new Silver series 12v 71 engine . The Caycuse shop Twin Turbo'ed #6-249 (#40-126) , #6-250 (#40-127) , #6-251 (#40-128) around the time BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge . The #40-126 got a new 12v 71 , the shop crew (Cal Oliver and Mike Cross ) did in house rebuilds on 2 natural 12v 71's , converting them to twin turbo'ed 12v 71 engines for the #40-127 and #40-128 , the #40-127 and #40-128 were considered "Hot Rods" compared to the #40-126 .
Camptramp, they ain't nothing wrong with your memory or your friend set. It appear you have a good memory and a wonderful group of friend that share their photos, for which we are grateful.
Camptramp. As far as I know Detroit did not make a Silver 71. Silver series were the 92. They had a totally different sound and lots of torque. If anyone has come across a Silver 71 I would like more info on it.sending you a PM.
The #40-96 a Pacific P 16 was moved from Nanaimo Lakes to HBO in late 1991 , it came with a natural 12V 71 , it was repowered with a brand new Silver Twin Turbo 12V 71 in 1993 . At the same time the #40-91 a Pacific P 16 was repowered with a regular Twin Turbo'ed 12V 71 , both had about the same power , couldn't catch the #40-127 or #40-128 HDX Hayes .
I've been very fortunate to have been loaned the pictures that are shared on this sight . I know where there are quite a few more , and when ever I run into old friends or new friends who are associated with the Forest Industry I inquire about pictures , only acouple who have pictures have declined . So a big thanks to those who have shared their pictures and the "Mission of Posting as many pictures as I can find " continues .
Well there you go,been a good day since I learned something new.
6-249 " PURE NOSTALGIA" I do prefer the tri-color but she looks good in any color! Funny Dave somehow looks a little younger there. Was measuring up the door decals and other details on 6-252 today Will get new decals made that will mirror image the original ones. Was wondering why the front air cleaner bracket (big plate) was cut up so bad and cut down so to speak on 246!!!! Must have been done in the shop because she left the factory with the proper one. Cant install hood skirts on her till that bracket is replaced and the air cleaner intake hose is re-routed.
I will post pictures of 6-228 and how she looks today maybe on the weekend.
This is 6-228 on Gorge 500. She was bought by Pat Carson Bulldozing and then was taken over by Hayes Forest Services. They rebuilt her as a conventional truck and replaced the sticks with an Allison and a C-15 Cat engine. She just came back from IPL mini-rebuild in shop at Chemainus. Pete Glaser got her when she came back until he got H-159 back. (engine trouble)
The newest member of the family is now a lot closer to home. Went out and worked on her. Got most of the lights working now. Rained all day so it was a good time to give her a bath.
Very nice.The truck looks great...I see the rear brake pots are mounted vertical as apposed to aprox 45 deg..Is that a hayes thing or is it done to get them out of harms way..I have seen it done on a P-16 before as well...
I like it (40-125)....I gather she is retired now..Cant really tell but looks like a Allison hanging in there...What year is the truck ??
1973 Yes RETIRED Allison 5960 and the booster brackets are optional. Some trucks have one or two of each Some 90 degrees some 45. Lots of work ahead but will look really good when done. Not going to rush into things. Got most parts I will need ,its just a case of getting the right parts made and fabricated I will try with the hood skirts first and see how they turn out. I have a few to try . If any of them will work then it will give me a template for the new ones. The front bumper will be a job unto itself. Major cutting and fabricating to get it straight again. Will take pictures to keep you up with what is going on with her. Will probably give her a cosmetic clean up till the time comes for the paint job and decals. That will be the last thing though. More work on lights and electrical system first the interior. Picked up 10 gals of motor oil today to change that- ordered filters so at least it is a start
HDX, looks like you have some work to do on the old girl, it might take a while to have her like new. Bet she will look great when done, lucky that you were able to get her and save her for everyone to see. Looks pretty solid, so you have something to work with. I am sure in your mind you can see her potential, and how great she will be when done.
Here is a couple pictures of 6-228 after Pat Carson bought her and converted her to a conventional truck from being a pre-load These were at Mesachie Lake shop prior to Hayes Forest buying them out. Here she still retained her V12 GM engine and the manual shift transmissions .You can see another exBCFP conventional truck parked beside her with the trailer down. Those pictures are for another time.
Many, many thanks to you and the rest, sir.
The Budget Steel bin in the background of post #1777 was an omen of things to come. These pictures are the sad end of another BCFP Caycuse Div. truck, unit 6-234. Truck 6-233 had already been recycled in these bins and now it's 6-234's turn. Both these trucks had been bought by Hayes Forest and then reduced to parts only. The rest went into the bins. HFS did not believe in pre-loads so you are seeing the end result.
Here are some more.
While most of this is pretty new to me it just makes me feel sick inside seeing what was a good usable truck torn apart, for no good reason. Reducing it to a pile of scrap, that just rusts into the ground. It must about tear your hearts out seeing this, since you grew up in the hay day days of the timber industry. Over the weekend I went to an antique farming and tractor show. To see so many old tractors, steam engines, and equipment is always special. Some are just sitting there after being rebuilt and painted up better than new. Others were out harvesting, running old equipment, that dates back to the 1800's to early 1900's. A few still had the original wood instead of tin construction. They even had four old tractors hooked together with flat belts, then hooked to the fan that lets them put a load on the tractors. Seeing three of them running two flat belts at the same time, was sure a sight to see. They have an old saw mill being run by a steam engine and flat belt, working. It has a 4' circular blade with replaceable teeth. All manual adjustment and log turning is done by hand and cant hooks. It is a great show with so many old machines being used, and only 8 miles from my place.
Hi Jim Yes you are so right. Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy. If nothing else at least there will be a recorded history of some stuff from a time when things were very different. Got lots more pictures that I took over the years of trucks and equipment. Will post stuff as things pop up
Personally I hate seeing stuff like that....Thankfully there are people wondering around the island with diesel pickups who scoop up what they can and stash it all away....Cheers
Yair . . . Hello HDX Please excuse my ignorance but what is meant by "pre-loads"? And how does it work. I really do appreciate the time and effort you blokes go to in preserving the history of your industry in photographs and of course the renovation of some of the machinery. Cheers.
Hope this helps till one of the people on this site can give you a better more accurate description, of a preloader. If my memory serves me right, it is a truck that is set up to drop it's trailer off at the landing to have it loaded. After dropping that trailer off it picks up a loaded trailer, and takes it to the DLS, where it is unloaded and returned to the landing and exchanged for the loaded trailer. Seems like a great way to get more timber hauled per day, as the driver isn't sitting there waiting to be loaded every load. Hope this helps, my head is working to well due to having a headache for the last 17 days straight. So far no relief to speak of, after going to the hospital and local doctor. The way I feels this morning I will be headed back again today.
Yair . . . Gotcha dirty4fun I rather imagined that to be the case but the actual method of how it is done intrigues me . . . I have never seen a picture of a trailer being loaded except when attached to the truck. . . trust you get on top of your medical problems soon. Cheers.
Went back to the hospital to find out why I have such a headache. They took an MRI this time. Next thing I know the nurses were securing me me to the bed with wires, an I V and blankets. Blood clot on the brain, very small thou. Got a nice ride in an ambulance to see a neurosurgeon. He wants to wait, and try chemicals, to remove it. Will know in a day or two, he sounded like I would be home in a few days. Sure hope so.
Jim,please stay on top of this. Do not rush release from hospital I lost friend In May,his wife in Sep,and brother-in-law who was only 55, just one week ago.keep us posted
Scrub puller in Post 1757 the first pic. Shows preload trailer. See the legs behind the front bunk? There is a hydraulic ram on the truck. This raise the trailer up. Driver lifts the two stiff legs,removes pin holding leg off the ground. Then the leg swings straight up and down. Pin goes back in and the two ,one on each side hold the front of trailer as truck pulls out from under loaded or empty trailer. I will look for more pics and send you info as where to look.
Scrub puller,there are also several different ways of loading preload trailers. Go to Post 1757 the 3 rd picture and you will see one style. Go to Post 1771all pictures and this is a Conventional style. A machine is required to lift this trailer off for loading and another machine is needed for loading trailer back on. As I or another fine fellow comes across the previous pictures,we will send you to them. Are you finding any of this helpful?
Yair . . . First off dirty4fun. Don't rush things mate. I have to say when you said seventeen days of headache it stirred some alarm bells within me. I knew a bloke here who had similar experience a few years back, he was finally diagnosed with a tiny bleed/stroke. All went well and he went onto medication, saw him just the other day tooling around on a nice new Yammy 'cruiser. (big grin) Blk prince. Thanks so much for taking the time to point stuff out. I don't have time now to study the pictures you have indicated out but I will have a look in the wee hours of the morning when my connection works a little faster. Cheers.
Hang in there Jim biggest challenge is figuring out the problem , now that you know whats going on , you can beat it . Scrub Puller here are a couple of pictures showing a loader loading an old style preload trailer without the truck (unfortunately picture dosen't show front of trailer) and empty trailer on ground that will be set up after the truck leaves with loaded trailer , using a system that involves the log loader . On these older style BCFP preload trailers , the loader is used to unload trailer off truck .
Scrub Puller the next pictures show a new style BCFP preloader loading its own empty trailer using a winch system mounted on top of water tank , 3rd picture is a preloader with its trailer loaded . 4th picture is what we call a conventional logging truck with its trailer loaded piggy back .
Took me a while to find it, Scrub, H17 loading it's trailer. I knew it was here somewhere. ointhead Post 1024. Ed
Yair . . . Thanks fellers, its starting to sink in. Logging trailer configurations always fascinate me. We don't have the off-road rigs shown on these threads but folks hauling with conventional highway trucks may find this site of interest . . . I am told it has taken a while to get the B triple behind the cab over Kenworth sorted but run the vid if you can, a bit of clever engineering I reckon. http://www.elph.com.au/trailers/logging/easyloader.php Cheers.
Re HDX post #1748 here is 6-240 when she was owned by HFS unit #T723. Duncan 2005.
Found this picture it shows a preload trailer being loaded with no truck hooked to it , front bunk supported by "Preload Leg's" under front bunk .
Rob N. BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dry Land Sort just built Summer 1976 , not a log dumped on it yet.
Yair . . . camptramp. Gotcha mate, thanks for that, as they say, a picture is worth many words. Cheers.
Not all Employee's in a logging operation are on the Yarding & Loading , Rail Road or Dump/booming grounds . Cathy Fielding has lent us a Photo Album of pictures by and of her father Eric Saari . From the pictures it appears Eric Saari started with BCFP in 1946 , the year BCFP was created . The first pictures show a Survey crew camped on the San Juan River June /1946 , later pictures show Eric as a Scaler in the Falling & Bucking Department , my first memory of Eric Saari is as the Bull Bucker at the old Harris Cr. Camp , a title he held for many years at Renfrew Div.
Cathy Fielding , The first picture is of Eric Saari standing by logging truck under picture is printed "Chehalis" /46 2nd picture A.C. Buckland 1946 3rd picture is Eric Saari on right note the "Bone Dry" hat he's wearing .
Cathy Fielding 1st picture Two gentlemen standing on a large and high stump 2nd picture Norm Johnson & Eric Saari standing by rail road tracks . 3rd picture Eric Saari and unknown standing by large tree . 4th picture Howard Scowcroft surveying behind what looks like a Cook House . 5th picture looks like Eric Saari standing behind a house or office in a logging camp .
The name Chehalis is pretty unique. I have only known it to be associated with the Chehalis Indians, located near Aberdeen, WA, my birth place. Is it possible that Mr. Saari worked in that area for a while? https://www.chehalistribe.org/
I don't know a lot about Eric Saari in his youth , I did meet a fellow in Bute Inlet in the early 1980's that grew up with Mr. Saari in the Fraser Valley , either there's a Chehalis in the Southwest of BC or for some reason he was in Washington State .
Cathy Fielding BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture R. Smith , W. Binion , N. Johnson , Eric Saari 1947 . 2nd picture Eric Saari in camp by building . 3rd picture Eric standing by bucked log with "scale stick" 4th picture Eric sitting on log with 30 30 rifle 5th picture S. Burns standing in camp by building .
Cathy Fielding BCFP Renfrew Div 1st - 2nd pictures not sure who's climbing Spar Tree . 3rd - 4th pictures G. Forrest , E. Roed with "Tippy" 1950 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. !st picture S. Benson & "Two Speed" Johnson Feb. 1948 . 3rd picture B. Payne March 1950 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture H. Martin May 1950 , Hill Martin was genuine old character , a "Hand Faller" in his prime , as was the custom of the times , when he was getting on in age , he was taken off the "Falling & Bucking Department" and put on a Yarding Side as a Landing Bucking . Which was what he was doing when I started working in the Woods . His given name was Martin Hill , but when he immigrated from Finland , some where's along the way he filled out some paper work and put down Martin as his last name , and was forever known in Canada as Hill Martin. 2nd picture note the two man Power Saw .
Well here is the answer. There is also a Chehalis River there as well, like Washington. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chehalis,_British_Columbia
That makes total sense Mr. Saari grew up in the Fraser Valley , your the man !
Cathy F. (Eric) Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. E. Roed with "Tippy" and Eric Saari Snag Falling June 1950 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari)
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) 1st picture Eric Saari with Scale Stick April 1948 . 3rd picture Hill Martin on "Spring Board" Bull Bucker Jim Thompson on ground .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) 2nd picture J. Andrews April 1948 . 3rd picture Eric Saari April 1948 . 4th picture R.M. Hemmingsen June 1947 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture J. Andrews April 1948 . 2nd picture Eric Saari April 1953 . 3rd picture Hill Martin July 1953 . 4th picture Eric Saari July 1953 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture O. Valenius August 1953 . 4th picture Ed Lantinen , O Valenins , Hill Martin August 1953 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Lens Creek Cat Show March 1954 . 2nd picture N. McMillan & G. Krueger .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture N. Peat March 1954 3rd picture Log scaled 10,100 F.B.M.
For those of you that Remember Rick Bialkowski that worked in Port Renfrew in the mid to late 1960s I'm sad to say he passed away on 28th of Sept 2015. I met Rick when we started logging Garbage Creek. He became a chaser then one of the first to take a landing mans position. We became very good friends and have remained so over the years.
Sad to see an old friend pass on . One time in 1966 when I was setting chokers and Rick was chasing , we swapped premium beater "Camp Cars" my 1954 Ford 4 door for his 1957 Plymouth 4 door . I blew up the 318 putting it through the acid test , the old Flat Head wouldn't quit , even with a burn't valve . LOL
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfew Div. 2nd picture J.Bergen J. Strom W. Brunnell October 1953 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture a very early picture of Harris Creek Camp ( H-C Camp 3 ) looking over camp towards the Harris Creek Canyon 1946. 2nd picture Bear Creek Camp March 1946 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture 10 Spot a Climax Locie at Harris Creek Camp May 1946 . 2nd picture a "Unit" a combination Steam Yarder & Loader , Harris Creek Camp May 1947 . 3rd picture #123 "Speeder" Harris Creek Camp Oct. 1953 . 4th picture Harris Creek Camp 1953 .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari)
Cathy F (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 5th picture G. Lahtinen 1949
Cathy F. (Eric Saari)
Post 1816 picture 4 i have same pic of the 3 guys sitting on the stump. mom knows who they are .it's funny how pictures were shared back then. Maybe the start of the wireless internet lol . Keep up the great job you are doing digging up and posting all these pictures Al
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Speeder crossing Bear Creek Trestle . 2nd picture An early picture of Bear Creek Trestle .
BCFP Renfrew Div. , #71 Northwest log loader ( early picture shovel has been rigged up to load logs , but cab has not been elevated ) loading #190 Kenworth logging truck at base of Bear Creek Skidder .
I remember the 54 Ford 4 door and 47 Plymouth 4 door. We left the 47 in the bush. I also remember Rick falling asleep at the wheel on our way to Renfrew at about 5am on a Monday morning on the West Coast Road driving the 54. I was sleeping with my head on the door post when Rick grabbed me by the collar and yelled were gonna roll. We didn't roll just caved in the passenger side of the car bouncing off a rock face about mile 13 and ended up slightly off road. Another car came along and pulled us out. We always left for Renfrew on Monday mornings, made for a long day. Dam near fell asleep and fell off the roof of the trucks I was second loading a few times.
Who drove the 190 was it Fred Call?
Great pics and memories, guys, thanks for posting on forum. Len, is 2nd loader referring to the use of tongs on the loader, and the man on the roof that helps release tongs? For a while I've been thinking it was to do with double shifting machines, but maybe it's tongs...?
By the time I started working at Renfrew Div. (Feb 1966) the #190 had 2 bunks on its tail frame and a short wagon style trailer to haul short chunks , can't remember who drove it at that time , I recall the Truck Dispatcher sending the #190 out to Olie Virtanen who was running the #71 log loader at the time . Olie said he didn't have enough chunks for a load , but #190 was sent out for a load anyways . Olie loaded the truck with the shortest logs he had on landing , which hung out the back about 10 - 15 feet , I think Reid Bryson was driving it that day , every time he shifted gears , the front of the truck lifted off the ground . A couple of years after that , the #188 was retired off the "Line Horse". And the "Line Horse " winch was put on the #190 . Fred Call drove the #205 an HDX Hayes at that time .
In the days of loading with tongs before "Grapples " were perfected , at Renfrew Div. the "Head Loader" was on the ground and set the Tongs on the logs , he would pick the log to fit in place to build a load and judge where to place the Tongs to get the right length , with truck end of log close to water tank on truck but still allowing truck to turn on switch back corners . 2nd loaders stood on "Pidgin Roof " over cab of logging truck , Kicking off Tongs from logs if operator couldn't shake them off and using "Stamp Hammer " to put "Timber Mark " on end of logs as well as putting paint marks on truck end of log .
Thanks Camptramp, I'm getting up to speed gradually!
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture is of the "Lunch Box " Bear 1950 . 2nd picture is of the "Weeping Hemlock" Tree in the Crossover area along the Harris Creek . 3rd picture is Eric Saari at Scuzzy Creek Boston Bar Div. Oct 1988.
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Harris Creek Camp 1955 . 2nd picture is Beach Camp , early 1960's .
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 3rd picture Eric Saari standing on loaded logging truck with son Danny & daughter Cathy at Harris Cr. Camp .
Cathy Fielding ,1st picture Industrial Site office January 1969 . 2nd picture The Saari's second house at Harris Cr. Camp (Note skid sticking out of skirting , these houses were built in two halves in town and brought up to Harris Cr. on Logging Rail Road , then put back together ) 3rd picture is Play Ground in Beach Camp , March 1976
Gordy I . (Ike Isacson) In the early summer of 1980 the BCFP Renfrew Div. logging truck #239 an HDX Hayes had a run away on the hill dropping down off the Caycuse Hook/Up Road approaching the Caycuse Dry Land Sort . The first 3 pictures are ones I took of the wreck , the 4th and 5th pictures are pictures Ike Isacson took of the truck by the Caycuse Shop .
Wow...she hit hard...Was the driver ok ???...Was the truck fixed ??
The truck had had a major rebuild about 6 months before this wreck , it was taken into the Renfrew Div. shop and completely rebuilt again . I regret I didn't take an after photo .
The driver was a little shook up but was okay . Lesson 101 from log truck drivers hand book , when things start to go wrong "Ditch It" , you can't ride out a run away on a long hill !
Camptramp,did investigation find a problem. Was a good road for sure?
Tried to stretch a tank of water to far , one trip to many , short by half a mile . Hill is fairly steep below switch back , above where truck laid over . When things go wrong , they go wrong in a hurry .
Gordy I. (Ike Isacson BCFP Caycuse Div . DLS .
Gordy I (Ike Isacson) BCFP Renfrew Div. D. Evans Trucking , ( Gravel hauling contractor at Renfrew Div.) Could be Garry Isacson driving .
Pat MacMillen has loaned us his father Bob MacMillen's slides to share . Bob MacMillen started with BCFP in the late 1940's or early 1950's working with Timber Cruising Crew's in the San Juan Valley along with several other University Educated Engineer's and Forester's that started out on the Surveying and Timber Cruising Crews at the beginning of British Columbia Forest Products Ltd. , stayed with the company working his way up the Management Ladder to retire as a Division Manager . 1st picture is of Bob MacMillen . Ken Hallberg and Blondie Moxness standing in front of BCFP sign in front of Cookhouse at entrance to BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort and Shop area's . Carved by Chief Charlie Jones of the Pachena First Nation's Band , this Carved sign is now hanging on a wall by the Locie shop at B.C. Forest Discovery Center , Ducan B.C. 2nd picture is looking out of Office at entrance to Dryland Sort . 3rd picture is a Photo taken of area known locally as the Industrial Site .
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. Hayes mobile "A Frame " unloading #204 HDX Hayes at new Dryland Sort .
This is just history that is being preserved and should never be lost,thanks to you CampTramp. We owe you.Ron G
Thanks Ron G in our ever changing world we grew up when we had the opportunity to find a job and made a decent living , our needs were less and life was simpler . I enjoy finding and posting pictures of that era , it brings back a lot of memories of times and people I worked with . I , we owe a debt of gratitude to those who took the pictures I'm posting and to those who are willing to dig out their old albums and share them with us , the list is getting long , I sincerely thank them .
Super neat mobile A frame, now you know I have to ask...Dimensions, specs, power, drawing... Thanks Ap40
Wish I could help you , but that mobile "A Frame" was custom built by the manufactures of Hayes Logging Trucks in the early 1960's . Only worked at Renfrew Div. until 1966 then was dismantled and shipped up to McKenzie B.C. . HDX might have some information on it as he has some of the record's from Hayes Manufacturer's . The Dryland Sort at BCFP Renfrew Div. was one of the first on the West Coast of British Columbia , a lot of trial and error they got a system going . George Gibberson was the Master Mechanic at that time , he had a lot of good ideas and I think that was one of them , but it didn't fit as new things were tried .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st-2nd pictures its interesting to see pictures of the DLS crew experimenting with a push off system when the Renfrew DLS was first opening up , they never got it perfected then , but 30 years later we were using a push off system at Honeymoon Bay DLS until Off Highway log hauling was discontinued . Its also interesting to see the Latourneau Log Stacker with 1 steering wheel . It couldn't have been at Renfrew very long as it showed up at Malloch & Moseley's DLS at Miur Cr. around 1963 . 3rd picture a very respectable log at Renfrew DLS don't know who the gentlemen are with the felt hats are , but I would think they were important . On the right with hands in his back pocket is long time Port Renfrew resident and BCFP Boom Foreman Murray Smith beside him is Renfrew Div. Superintendent Blondie Moxness . 4th picture is a young Pat MacMillen standing on a Wagoner Log Stacker Fork , a machine he would one day operate .
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. I can't be absolutely sure but this could be the last or one of the last loads dumped by the "A Frame" at Renfrew Div. , if you look pasted the truck, Browns Creek looks like its been dredged out for the Booming Grounds for the new Dryland Sort . Its a shame a picture wasn't taken from the front of the truck .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures a spar tree being topped , 3rd picture Washington TL 6 (probably the 309) loading from a wooden home tree . 4th picture #160 (I think its a) Kenworth logging truck . 5th picture A fire trailer , one of several in the Division , during Fire Season there was usually one on every Yarder Landing .
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. The MacMillen family out to see a giant Cedar Butt . 1st picture 3 generations of the MacMillen family Pat out front Bob Mac and his Father with tape measuring diameter of Cedar Butt , Pat's sister Maureen on top of Cedar . 3rd & 4th picture Pat's mother Vee Mac and sister Maureen on top of Cedar .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. I'm not sure of the exact year , but sometime in 1950's BCFP started a Tree Planting program in Renfrew Div.. One of the first projects was to plant an area on the old rail road logged area known as "A Line" , which is across the San Juan River from Bear Creek Logging Camp . A foot bridge suspended on cables and skyline was built for crew's to cross the San Juan River and get their seedling's to the "A Line" side of the River . For many years when we drove the gravel road from Port Renfrew to Shawnigan Lake , just East of Bear Cr. camp we could look across the San Juan R. and see acre's a pond acre of rows of straight neatly spaced trees growing on the distant hillside . 1st picture is a sign on "Old Shawnigan Lake Rd" pointing out newly planted tree's . 2nd picture is the Foot Bridge crossing the San Juan River . Just a note , All the trees planted on that side hill had to be carried from the Foot Bridge to the planting sight .
Lieutenant Governor George Pearkes and the Governor of Bermuda in felt hats.
caycusion you had be wondering for a moment , then I remembered Murray & Demi Smith were close "Kin" . I can remember your Mother and Uncle visiting in the summer's . Thanks for helping out . The Smiths were a great family , was a sad day for Port Renfrew when Murray got transferred to Plumper Bay Div. Victoria . Nice to see Peter has bought the family home at Port Renfrew back .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP , not sure where these pictures were take I would have to presume Bob was on a tour somewhere' s .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP , Bob on tour .
Pete Rigby , Pete worked at BCFP Renfrew Div. inthe early 1960's around the time this "Mobile A Frame" was in use .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP not sure where these pictures were taken . 1st picture is a large Fir Tree surrounded by a New Growth Forest . 2nd picture is a tree being fallen and is caught in mid air . 3rd-4th picture is looking across a valley at logged over area .
Post 1861 & 1862 Pysht Tree Farm is just east of Seiku about halfway between Neah Nay and Port Angeles on the Straits. I think Merrill & Ring became M&R sometime around the early 70’s. The pictures of the short loggers doing the salvage logging in the alder patch were probably taken in the mid to late 60’s. That was the beginning of the clean out the alder and plant fir era. Port Blakely Mill was another alias for Pope and Talbot the first big timber company in Washington headquartered out of Port Gamble up on the head end of Hoods Canal. P&T has now morphed into ORM aka. Olympic Resource Management Company. Just another corporate tax dodge. BTW, M&R should be familiar to those of you in New Zealand as they have holdings there, how big I am not sure.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. The stage's of a controlled Slash Fire .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. I remember a day in the Fall of 1967 , when logging halted and the crews were called off the yarding sides and were assigned to the various fire lines , to fight slash fires that had gotten out of control . The Burger Tower crew that I was on ended up on Spur 19 , if I remember correctly they were having problems at slash fires on Spur 18 , Spur 19 , Granite Cr. and Spur 14 . We weren't the only crews fighting fires that Fall Roach logging a contractor for Pacific Logging at Mesachie Lake also had a bad fire . The call came out they needed help fighting their fire , so BCFP sent some Fallers over to help them out . I recall one morning at the Marshaling Point at Port Renfrew , management announced that the crew was only going to receive the IW-A fire fighting rate of pay . A couple of fellows took a dim view of the announcement , and pointed out it wasn't a natural or operational fire , but one that had been purposely lit . The Manager suggested we should go fight the fire's and they would deal with this matter later . By this time most of the crew were of the opinion we should settle this matter then go fight the fire's . We got our regular rate of pay . The fire at Roach Logging was a bad one resulting in their Yarder and Loader were burnt up in the fire , I don't know if that was the only reason , but they never opened up after the fire .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #225 HDX Hayes (Bob Mitchell driving) , with the#717 Berger Tower in tow . 2nd picture #222 HDX Hayes (Waddy Weeks driving) hooked to drop center lowbed #71 Northwest Log Loader (not sure who was running it could have been Oly Virtanen) early picture , cab has not been raised and it still looks like it is a "Tong" machine before it was set up for "Grapples" #223 HDX Hayes (driver Loyd Thompson) push truck . #717 Berger Tower (Art Wilson operator). 3rd picture is taken on Lens Creek Flats above San Juan River , #690 View Spar in fore ground and #717 Berger Tower in back ground .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP , N ot sure where these pictures were taken , they are Cat Conventional Logging Trucks .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture the famous Williams Cr bridge on the Bear Cr. Shawnigan Lake Rd. 2nd picture Is the two gentalmen caycusion referred to as Lieutenant George Pearks and the Governor of Bermuda watching a load of logs crossing the Suspension Bridge over the San Juan River .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP , Not sure where these pictures taken just a guess , but could be Millstream Timber in Ucluelet , Tofino area . Do'es anybody out there recognize this operation for sure .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Continued from last post .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP The Hillcrest Lumber Co. Saw Mill at Mesachie Lake B.C.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. #690 View Spar Telescoping Steel Tower , Highlead Yarder .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. , When I first looked at this picture it looked familiar , then I recognized it , its on top of Garbage Cr. over looking Bear Cr. Summer of 1970 , #663 a Skagit 120 ft. Telescoping Slackline Steel Tower , Lowbed Mount with a Tyee Winch , #79 Northwest Model 6 Log Loader . Crew John Macisaac Hooktender , Sid "Skidder" Smith Yarding Engineer , Ernie Harrison Loading Engineer , Myself Landing Man , Reg Beale Rigging Slinger , Stan Woods and Chuck Marrow Choker Man , Don Baker Landing Bucker . One day Woods Foreman Bob Robertson
No Gordon Buck was a long time employee of Hillcrest Lumber and lived in lake Cowichan , went to work at BCFP Renfrew Div. after Hillcrest closed its doors 1968 . His daugther Joan was married to Renfrew Div. Carpenter Dan Benty and had a son Richard who worked at BCFP Crofton .
Water drop from the Martin Mars 50 feet. Oops... Camptramp there should be a HEF hall of fame with your name on top
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures #797 Skagit 120 ft Telescoping Tower on Tank Carrier Operator Stu Smith , Hook Tender Bruce Wilson , trying out a yarding grapple , Stu tells me Carriage had Haulback running through two sheaves in carriage for "lift" , then there was an off set sheave inside carriage to charge a hydraulic system , which was used to remote controlled to open and close grapple . Offset was so bad Haulback wore out from inside out . Once the weight of the carriage riding on haulback with hydraulic pump connected to one of carrier sheaves , it sort of worked . 3rd -5th picture #319 Washington Track Loader TL 15 Jake Kruger operator . One of Renfrew Division's first loaders to be equipped with a snorkel .
is jake kruger kennys dad?
I don't think Ken and Jake are closely related . Jake was a long time BCFP employee , lived and worked at Bear Creek then moved with house to BCFP Renfrew Div. at Beach Camp When he retired in the late 1980's he was #1 on seniority list . Moved to Victoria when his sons Kelvin and Don were ready to start Junior High School . Ken is from Victoria , I recall him mentioning one time his father drove truck in Victoria for OK Paving .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Don Wilson setting up empty preload trailer on landing to swap for loaded preload trailer, with an almost new #6-236 HDX Hayes . 2nd & 3rd picture Alex Malahoff running a TL 6 Washington Trak Loader loading the #225 HDX Hayes driven by Kay Peterson (sitting with bibed coveralls) one of the genuine characters of his time , Danish by birth trained as a baker, came to Canada and ended up in the Woods . I recall a story he told about working at Jordan River , where the logging trucks had to cross a bridge , with an over head structure , across the Mouth of the Jordan River to get to the Log Dump , so the loads couldn't be to high . One day he took a load with a Flare Butt Cedar Butt back on top of the load . He pulled on to the bridge , stopping to get out and and check the Height (which was to high) . A foreman came along and had a stern word with Kay who causally got back into the truck , backed it into the Hotel Driveway turned it around . Then drove the truck back to the loading side , told the loading crew to fix it and promptly quit .
Bridge across Moth of Jordan River .
Those pics sure bring back memories growing up in Bear Creek, going to that school and breaking into the community hall to shoot pool on rainy days!!
Fred McMurray, Great pictures of my old school grade one to twelve and the community hall we would break into the hall on rainy days to shoot pool!!
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st Picture #799 Skagit grapple yarder Steve Young operator , #73 Northwest log loader Gordon Buck operator . #6-238 HDX Hayes Waddy Weeks driver , another bigger than life character Waddy was the Locie Engineer on the last Shay Locie at Port Renfrew , been around a lot and was very knowlegeable about logging on Vancouver Island and the people working in the woods in the 1930's , 40's and 50's . Lots of story's . 2nd picture 1972 is looking out at San Juan Bay from the top of Fairy Lake , #79 Northwest Model 6 log loader yours truly running it , #797 Skagit Steel Tower Stu Smith running it . 3rd picture is looking out at San Juan Bay from Fairy Lake
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Bob MacMillen standing by large Fir . 3rd-4th pictures looks like Bob Mac spraying logs for Ambrosia Beetle's .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture I remember this "Chunk Truck" working along Harris Creek M/L just a couple miles out of camp between the "Meadows" and Stoney Creek loading Bean Poles and Chunks from a tree thinning project in the late 1950's early 1960's , maybe HDX Can tell us more about this truck and "Chunk Truck" in next picture .
Hay-racks and Venture booms as well as the Courtenay Loader with the "Live" Boom and what was called the "Easy-Way" Will dig out some of those and post over the holidays. Was there by any chance pictures of the hayrack pictured above with a head on shot.
Wondering if anyone knows anything about this grapple .How good it worked ect
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Amongst these slides were a couple of Maps , probably used for presentations . thought I would post them .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP A young Pat MacMillen sitting on the stairs of a Bunk House at Vancouver Bay Div. Jervis Inlet .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure what Div. might be Caycuse
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Anybody recognize this piece of equipment ?
Are they making power poles or something?
Chipper? d.d.
Combination debarker/chipper
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure which Division these "Cat" pictures were taken .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP
Good time to post this Caycuse fire tanker. LJ Mack with Pacific sheet metal added and a new paint job.
That old Mack came from BCFP Malibu Div. It was a water truck when I worked in that Division in 1976-77 , but didn't look nearly as cared for . Looks like it got some TLC from the Caycuse Shop . It was a Logging Truck from a Company that BCFP bought up in the 1960's up Seymour Inlet called Northern Cedar . Then moved with crew & equipment to Malibu up Jervis Inlet
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP A young Pat MacMillen trying out the seat on a D8 Cat .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure where these Rubber Tire Skidder pictures were taken , possibly Caycuse Div.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP 1st picture is a Lowbed Coupled to Bunk . 2nd & 3rd picture is a new way to put Timber Stamp on Log . 4th & 5th pictures are what is supposed to stay in Woods .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. A birds eye view of Caycuse and Pictures of Caycuse dump & Booming Grounds .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture A pickup loaded with seedling for Forestry Crew to replant logged over settings . 2nd & 3rd pictures A View Spar Steel Tower , A Northwest log Loader & HDX Hayes logging truck . 4th & 5th picture A Washington TL15 yarding logs
first and 2nd pic definatly caycuse ...but the other 3 not sure.....there wasn't any gently sloping land curving around the dump area as seen in pic 3...pic 3 should be looking at the eventual site of caycuse sort...instead it appears to curve around as if in a bay.
Could it be the 109 dump at head of lake .
camptramp Did you notice the bigger tires on the trailer of that HDX? Still she was one of the original series trucks and the trailer could have been rebuilt for some reason Note the "I" beam reach and high stakes. Might have been borrowed off one of the newer trucks with Planetary diffs and 14X25 tires. Those HDX's had 12X24 tires all their lives. We would borrow one of the WHD trailers from time to time and they kind of looked similar when loaded on the truck. Just looked like the picture you posted long ago of #211 when she was up the coast
Question. If the TL15 in Post 1907 is yarding, why do I not see a haulback line? Am I missing something?
The only possibility I can think of is that they could have been running the tongs out by hand. As old as that shovel looked, that could be the case, eh?
TL 15 Yarding Mr. Vigilant, If you look very carefully behind the boom you can see a short A frame gantry with the haulback sheave. Coming out of that sheave is a very faint cable, the haulback, most likely 5/8 inch diameter. If you look above the log deck you can see a sunspot. Running through that sunspot is a very faint line which is the haulback line. It is very hard to see, I had to look several times. The giveaway is the angle of the haulback sheave.
BCFP Redwood Climber your correct the Haulback does go through the Gantry . Renfrew Div. had a similar Washington TL15 we use to yard small corners with it , when ever we started to get a load or two piled up a log truck would show up , we would choke a stump behind the log pile , unshackle the mainline from the Butt Rigging tighten up on the Haulback , to keep it out of the way . Then shackle a set of Tongs on the Mainline and load the log truck .
BCFP Nekite River Div. HDX here's the pictures of the #211 at Nekite R. don't think its the same trailer as one in picture posting #1907 it has a round reach . I don't know where that trailer came from it was a mismatch for sure . the truck bunk was about 12 to 13 feet with maybe 6 foot stakes . The trailer bunk was 15 feet with 6 foot stakes , seems to me it had springs under the trailer instead of walking beams . The truck in the picture probably has a spare trailer for a newer truck . I think the #221 had an "I" beam reach in the trailer .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure where these pictures were taken , but I think they are from Caycuse 1st picture is of a group of men Les Way is out front with a Government Forester to the right . 4th picture is Bob MacMillen to the right on a not so nice West Coast Day .
HDX,just a side nite. All the Olsen trucks at Nitinat had 12x24 rubber on truck but 14x24rubber on trailers. #6 had tapered stakes facing in on the truck and out on the trailer. Made loader operators shake their heads
We had a couple guys come over to Franklin from there after the shut down Henry B and Cookie were really top drawer guys Both very good and capable operators. It would puzzle us when Henry would load us because you always got a primo load nice peaker and all but the load was on backwards! He explained that the contract trucks at NitNat wanted the loads like that Trailer heavy because they had the big rubber on the trailers. Had a hard time figuring that one out -- tough on things when you had fairly steep adverse to pull up out of a landing. Nadira 840 rings a bell. Always sent two trucks together there so one got the good load and the other would be the pull truck and the second truck got the cleanup load and didn't need a tug Henry always made thing work though Another two names to add to the list of gone but not forgotten
HDX,top notch for sure. I learned Cookie passed in Sep. I think and Henry still going.Phone rang for me to work Monday,put in shift on Wed. as well. Need more toys.
I never heard about Roy That is a shame. Man that guy had pictures from all over the coast Wonder if his son Tim will inherit them Talk to Henry if you bump into him I don't know how Dolly is Be pretty hard on her with Roy gone Maybe his daughter Starr or Cindy.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div.
Where was that bridge at? It looks like it was good for cleaning off limbs hanging from the load.
I have not seen any of those boys since they left for Franklin. Only bumped into Cookis once 5-6 yrs ago in Nanaimo. Was running a machine in Tahsis.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse #211 Arriving at 109 Log Dump at head of Lake Cowichan .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture #209 HDX Hayes snowed in at Caycuse Camp 2nd picture The surface of Lake Cowichan frozen over , off Caycuse Camp 3rd picture #221 HDX Hayes Loaded on a nice Winters Day .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. These pictures are of a Cat Crew gathering Fir logs for a special project , in the mid -late 1960's .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. Loading out logs carefully for a special project . Looks like Gerald Paterson of Mill Bay's Highway Truck being loaded .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. Not totally sure about these pictures , looks like M & B logging trucks hauling a special log into the Caycuse Dump ( interesting the 1st pictures is #H06 and 4th picture is #H06 ) . 2nd & 3rd pictures show a young Pat MacMillen watching the log being lifted off logging trucks .
camptramp Copper Canyon Division M&B. The fir logs were part of the log order for the 1970 EXPO celebration in Osaka Japan. There was quite a number of uniform Fir logs used to showcase the BC Forest industry over there. They did forget to return them after the thing ended.
Thanks for the correct location of the dump .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Div. , Caycuse's first Grapple Yarder #798 a Skagit , not sure of the year 1969-70 .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Caycuse Caycuse's first Skagit Grapple Yarder #798 .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Youbou A birds eye View of Youbou Sawmill on Lake Cowichan .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure where these Dump & Booming Grounds pictures are from , possibly they were taken in Ucluelet area .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure where these pictures were taken , but it appears someone was dealing with a "Dead Head" problem .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Not sure where these pictures were taken . They could be a log barge loading logs from Millstream Timber at Uclelet
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP More log barge loading pictures .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP These are pictures I got off Pat MacMillen taken in the early 1950's in the Port Renfrew area ( Lens Cr. , Red Cr. , and Bear Cr. ) where Bob MacMillen started working as a "Timber Cruiser" before moving to the Forestry Department which was just being developed in the major Forest Companies including BCFP .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Timber Cruising in San Juan Valley . When I first started working at BCFP Renfrew Div. the logging roads had been built into most of the main valley's , as the setting's were logged off in most of the valley's a cabin built by Timber Cruisers appeared along the Creek's edge . Pictures 3 & 4 show the Granite Creek Cabin being built .
Thanks again for these old pictures. A "Timber Cruiser", words I have not heard for a long time. A very valuable person who walked the hillsides and estimated the yield, defect and everything else about the sale, or owned timber lands. My dad used to do his own "cruising" when looking at a sale and figuring out a bid for the mill owner as an independent logger, also called a "gyppo" in the fifties. How many trees, how to log it, where would the landings be, how much road to build, how much adverse and on and on. Of course the mill owners had already cruised it, but they were on opposite sides of the logging contract.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP San Juan Valley 1st picture Bob MacMillen on right . 2nd - 4th pictures crossing the San Juan River .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP San Juan Valley . 1st picture Timber Cruisers Camp on Lens Cr. 2nd picture is the Logging Truck to Rail Car Lens Creek Reload just East of Lower Harris Cr. Bridge ( this is the only picture I have ever seen of it ) Bob MacMillen on right .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. Timber Cruising Lens Cr. , Granite Cr. & Hemmingsen Cr in the San Juan Valley .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. Timber Cruising in San Juan Valley , these pictures are taken in Hemmingsen Creek area .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Bear Creek Camp 1951 . This picture is of the Timber Cruising Crew's together at Bear Creek Camp Bob MacMillen is 2nd in on right side front row , I think Eric Saari is on right side back row . I don't know most of these fellows to see them . B ut I'm sure I would recognize their names in later years as many of these men were well educated and would pay their due's for their first few years in the Woods living and working under primitive conditions , those that stuck it out would in later years rise up through the ranks and hold top positions in Camp Management , some were to rise to Corporate levels at British Columbia Forest Products Co. Ltd.
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP We've seen Bob MacMillen as a Timber Cruiser , this picture is of Bob in Dec. 1969 as a Division Forester .
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) Sometime around 2006 Pat and I were hauling logs from a Logging Side off the Red Creek M/L , one day Pat brought his Father Bob out for a ride . Between loads Pat and Bob had a chance to hike into an old Timber Cruiser's Cabin in the Red Creek area that Bob had helped build . Unfortunately a tree had fallen on it , these are the remains of that Cabin .
Pat MacMillen BCFP 1st - 3rd pictures remains of Red Creek Timber Cruisers Cabin . 4th & 5th pictures Pat standing in front of large Cedar Tree near Red Cr. Timber Cruisers Cabin .
Pat MacMillen These pictures of the Vernon Creek Trestle were taken after BCFP was erased from the Earth , but the Vernon Creek Trestle is a Monument to the men who built and used it . So I'm posting it on this Thread to Honor those men .
Pat MacMillen As a youngster as a part of daily life I traveled over Trestles on the Logging Railroads and could see Trestles on the distant hillside's . I've always admired the Trestle's and had admiration for the men who built them . While hauling logs in the Nitinat Valley I often passed the remains of the Vernon Creek Trestle , a poem started running through my head . The Vernon Creek Trestle by camptramp The Trestle , once stood Straight , solid and proud The Bridge Crew Did their job well When Steam was King And Railroad Logging was in style Stands of Majestic Firs Stood mile , after endless mile On ribbons of steel She carried train loads of logs From the Nitinat Valley Up an East bound grade To Lake Cowichan's shore Silently she witnessed Bush Ape's toil In their campaign To conquer the Jungles Reaping a harvest From a Virgin Forest Now a forlorn tribute Of a bygone era After Seven Decades She struggles to survive The forces of Nature And ravages of time Moss covered Cross Ties and Braces Are rotting away Missing Bents and Braces Victims Of Vernon Creek Swollen with Rain As she slowly succumbs To the elements With the passing of time She'll soon Falter and Perish Soon to be forgotten In but a Moment of Time With no one to remember No one to Mourn Of the Time When Steam was King And Hi Ball Railroad Loggers Arose to the Challenge To made Her pay
Very nice poem, enjoy seeing the old trestle pictures, that have been shared. Hard to believe all the work that went into building a a trestle, in some tough conditions. It is tough to understand how they built it, and for such a small amount of money. Just looked like it would have to cost a lot more, even back then. Thanks!
Pat MacMillen BCFP Renfrew Div. Pat has loaned us his fathers Albums to share . Now I'm starting into his own Pictures that he has taken since starting on the Forestry Crew in 1978 . Pat moved to the Dryland Sort crew where he spent time on Dozer Boats on the Booming Grounds then ran Log Stackers and Sorting Shovels on DLS's until the DLS's were phased out , at that time he took on driving Logging Trucks . The first pictures are of the Forestry Crew Crummy and Forestry Crew .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Looking from Bunk Houses down drive way to Logging Truck passing on Harris Creek M/L heading to DLS . 2nd picture is looking up drive way at Bunk Houses .(those Bunk Houses were part of the Construction Camp for workers while Crofton Pulp Mill was being built) 3rd picture is looking from Bunk Houses over top of Cook House at DLS in back ground .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures is of Deering's Bridge , which crosses North Arm of San Juan River to hook up Harris Cr. M/L to road to townsite of Port Renfrew . 3rd picture is a view of logging truck pulling up M/L on to Stone y Cr. Bridge from a pickup or crummy .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort 5th pictures shows empty Log Bundler's on waters edge . They were rather unique , they were Counter Weighted to hold them down on shore side empty . They had Hydraulic rams under outside water's side , sitting empty oil from a reservoir tank gravity fed down into cylinders valves were closed when oil filled cylinders . Bundler's were filled with Logs and Bundling Straps secured around Bundle , then valves holding oil in cylinder's were opened allowing oil to flow back to reservoir tank . Weight of Logs dumped Bundler and logs slide down skid logs into water .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS 1st & 2nd pictures show Stacker filling Bundler with logs and logs sliding down skid logs into water .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. Pictures of Dryland Sort late 1970's - early 1980's
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. These pictures were put together for a scan of Dryland Sort , I had to divide them in to three frames .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. These pictures were put together for a scan of the Booming Grounds , again I had to divide them in to three frames to post .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. A view of Log Bundler's , Skid Logs and Bull Pen from Standing Boom.
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Wagner Stacker at work .
I always hated that when they are picking the loads off and everything goes wrong. Logs everywhere. That happens also when they are pushing the loads off and the short ones in the middle drop down and jam up. Well we wont have to worry about that little problem any more will we!!!
Unloading Off Highway Logging Trucks at BCFP Renfrew & Caycuse and later Fletcher Challenge / Timberwest HBO Dryland Sorts was always a challenge . How to do it efficiently without breakage . If you look through these threads BCFP & Vancouver Island Logging at its best , they virtually tried everything . In born2clearcut's early pictures of BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS , it shows attempt's to lift off whole loads with a "Mobile A Frame" and even a "Push Off " system before switching to a split load system they did for many years . How many logs got split with the forks or shattered when dropped or rolled off partly unloaded trucks (especially Cedar logs) we will never know . In the last few years of unloading Off Highway Log Trucks at HBO DLS the crew had a Push Off System of two Cat Stackers Holding the load together and pushing it off on to steel skids at the same time , that worked the best with the lest breakage .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS 1st picture is a Wagner Log Stacker . 2nd & 3rd pictures a Chapman 1800 Log Sorting Shovel . 4th & 5th pictures an older Cat Log Stacker not sure if its a 980 or 988 .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS 1st picture a Cat 988 Log Stacker . 2nd picture burning wood waste . 3rd & 4th pictures ground crew Up grading logs and stamping & painting logs .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Bundle Strapping crew waiting for Stacker to fill Bundler .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Butlers Logging Truck arriving at Renfrew Div. DLS for a double of probably Hemlock Saw Logs to Back Haul to Caycuse Div. DLS to supplement the Youbou Sawmill's log supply . Don Calder was driving the Butler Truck at the time , he would make two trips a day , two loads a trip one on the Truck and one load on the trailers he was towing .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Wagoner Stacker filling filling Bundler at waters edge .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS View of Log Bundler's from Booming Ground .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Dozer Boat approaching recently dumped bundle of logs in Bull Pen on Booming Grounds .
I say again,what a treat!Thanks camptramp,and your work is attracting other.Ron G
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS First three pictures is of Wagner Log Stacker lifting Dozer Boat out of Water at Barge Ramp . Last two pictures is of Cliff Halliday , a true Irishman , witty , one hell'uva sense of humor , full of the Devil . Cliff came from humble beginnings , did well in life and was a pleasure to work with , a Woodsman , Fur trapper , Cougar hunter , a former Logging Handyman Foreman for Harrison Logging . At this point of his logging career he was Head Boom man .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS 1st picture is "Boom Shack" on waters edge . 2nd picture is looking from DLS at Barge Loading Ramp . 3rd picture is Main Tow Boat San Juan Prince & Dozer Boat moving Boom of Logs out of Booming Grounds .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS The Booming Grounds at Renfrew Div. had 2 pockets with a gap in between them to allow a Float for the Boom Crew to work off . The Float had a shack on it to have lunch in and keep tools secure and dry , out side there would be Sludge Hammers , Peavey's , Pipe Poles , Swifter Lines , Lag Bolts , Crosby Clamps , Dog Lines , the list go'es on . The DLS Crew would have several Booms of Logs Graded and Decked around the Sorting Area , which ever specie and grade was ordered by a Mill would be Bundled and dumped . Once in the water the Bundle would be Stowed Five Bundles wide in one of the Pockets (the pocket would be 66 feet wide / the same as the standard length of a Boom Stick) , as the Bundles were Stowed by the Dozer Boat , the Boom Crew would drag Swifter Lines across the Bundles off the Boom Float securing the the Swifter lines to the Side Boom Sticks . The Swifter Line would go down between the Log Bundle and Side Stick and be brought up over the outside of Side Stick , the Swifter Line ( 1 inch or 1 1/8 cable ) would be pulled back doubled over Bundles , pulled tight and clamped with 3 or 4 Crosby Clamps on each side . Then a "U" shaped piece of medal would be placed over Cable at highest point on each Bundle and held in place by 2 large Lag Bolts driven in with a Sledge Hammer . Can't remember how many rows or "Sections" were in a Boom Of Logs , But 40 Bundles seems familiar , so that would make it an 8 "Section Boom" . Once the Boom was complete the Larger Tow Boat the "Foremast" when I worked on the Boom , would tow the Log Boom out in to the San Juan Bay and secured to Buoy's anchored in Bay for that purpose . When 3 Log Booms were towed out to Buoy and tied together at Buoy , the Tow Boat would take 3 or 4 larger Swifter Line's out in Bay with 3 or 4 of Boom Crew and we would drag them across the 3 Booms tying them together for a Sea going Tug from Seaspan to tow them to Victoria . Because we were preparing Log Booms to be towed on the "Outside" of Vancouver Islands West Coast down the Straits Of Juan de Fuca , our Boom Sticks and Rigging were much heavy'er than Boom Sticks and Rigging used on inside waters on the East Coast of Vancouver Island .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Dozer Boat stowing Log Bundles to make up five Bundles in 1 row or 1 section of Log Boom .
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS Booming Grounds
Pat Mac BCFP Renfrew Div. DLS A final look at Booming Grounds .
Bill Elliott has loaned us some of his family's early pictures of the San Juan area . 1st & 2nd picture's is a Christmas Card with picture of Malahat Logging's Rail Road Jill poke Dump on it . 3rd picture is of Cove Bridge across South Arm of San Juan River , center Spans are missing ( I can remember being taken across the River Mouth in Harry Smiths "Life Boat" to attend school when I was 7 years old ). 4th picture is of Bill E's Grandmother on Three Rivers Trestle/Bridge . 5th picture is of a Barge washed up on beach at head of San Juan Bay , its my understanding a Tug was towing the Barge out of the North Arm of San Juan River into heavy seas , some how the tow line got fouled in the Tugs propeller . There was loss of life and Barge ended up on beach . The Life Boat that Harry Smith had possession of , was I believe off the Tug that sank .
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div. Shovel Operator Les Newman running Drag Line dredging channel in "The Meadow's" about 1 1/2 mile's from Old Renfrew Camp . Using fill to build up road bed for new haul road when Operation was changed over from Rail Road Logging to Truck Logging early 1950's . ( No wonder that stretch of road was always so "Lumpy") .
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div Les Newman running Grade Shovel rigged up as Drag Line , 4th picture is Bill Elliot senior , Bill Elliott Junior , and Less Newman .
Bill E. BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is Doug & Bob Elliott standing in front of the Dodge Gravel Truck their Father Bill Elliott Sr. drove for BCFP . 2nd picture is a pile driver working on the Trestle across the North Arm of San Juan River , that would later be known as Deerings Bridge . 3rd picture 2 Kenworth Logging trucks moving yarder at Ball Park at Harris Cr. Camp . 4th picture is the #194 Kenworth acquired when BCFP purchased Kapoor Lumbers Koksilah Holdings . #225 HDX Hayes pulling lowbed Bob Mitchell driver .
Bill Elliott , BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st & 2nd pictures Ladies Day Tour at Renfrew Div. yarder #690 VIEW SPAR , loader #73 Model 6 Northwest . 3rd picture Mobile "A" Frame unloading log truck .
Bill Elliott BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture Don Wilson standing in front of #203 the first HDX Hayes at Renfrew Div. 2nd picture #6-236 one of three new HDX Hayes , Don Wilson's new ride .
Is that a spark arrestor on the exhaust in the first picture? I'm guessing that engine was hocking out hot gobs sludge?lol
Most Diesel engines of that era , ran basically straight pipes , even the mufflers of the day did little to arrest sparks , so every Spring spark arresters were put over the ends of the exhaust pipes for the Fire Season .
Hey?lol It makes perfect sense it's just the first time I've noticed one.
I'm not totally sure , but it might have been a B.C. Forest Service regulation to put spark arresters on most exhaust pipes in those day's during Fire Season as a Fire prevention measure . The Donaldson Mufflers on the #6-236 Hayes have built in spark arresters , no screen over end of exhaust pipe required .
Yes it was Every fire season Forest service inspectors would come out and check all the equipment on ALL the machines Fire Extinguishers, Axe, Shovels, Garden hose's, Spark arresters and pi## cans. AND of course the card show above with the responsibility of all involved.The small mufflers on 236 were discontinued because they created too much back pressure. The Donaldson 9inch replaced them but the spark arresters had to be installed on them. If you were coming down a long steep hill with the retarder on your water temp would climb more than normal because of them. Soon as you turfed them into the bush all would return to normal. At the junction of BR 70/71 out in the NitNat there would be the remains of about 30 of them. That was a popular waiting to be dispatched place so things just happened there!
These came in every size: 2 inch right up to as big as required. Most were homemade in the shop.
You should definitely have those chromed and put them on your trucks Steve. Smokey the Bear would love you for it.lol Thanks for posting the pictures.
Looks like folded up 1/4" crusher screen.
Russell Thompson (Loyd Thompson) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Loyd Thompson standing by KW #200 at Harris Cr. Camp . 2nd picture Loyd standing by KW . 3rd picture Loyd standing by #224 HDX Hayes . 4th picture #203 HDX Hayes . 5th Picture #93 Washington TL 15 log loader new at BCFP Pitt Lake Div. sent to Renfrew Div. in late 1970's Operator Bruce Wilson . The controls were modified at Pitt Lake , was a nice machine to run use to load Bill Neil's Conventional Trailers with it when #93 was parked at Gordon River Camp .
BCFP Pitt Lake Division around 1965
I'm not positive but I think those are the first pictures that have shown up on this site from BCFP Pitt lake Div. . Now we know the #115 HDX Hayes was at Pitt Lake and it was a Preloader , the loader could be the #93 a Washington TL 15 that ended up at Renfrew Div. in the late 1970's . Thanks callingtheshop , hope you have some more pictures from that Div.
I was there from 1963 - 1967 and there were 5 trucks, all preloads and powered by 6-110 DD. I think the numbers were 215, 216, 217, 218 and 228. The first two weren't planetary axles. Some of the old photos I took I actually wrote a little bit about the photo on the back but I didn't put the unit number down. The old Washington in the previous photos was a tong loader and I remember how the two guys worked on it. The ground man always had a hand rolled cigarette going and it was the main signal device and it depended on how that smoke bobbed in his lips what the machine operator would do. Those two had worked together since they were first born and just knew how to interpret each other.
callingtheshop, 215,216,217, 218 and 227 were the trucks I got hayesno1 to post a couple pictures of 217 new in front of the office (POST 450) on this thread. It was the first BCFP truck with planetary rear ends maybe 63,000's. This was before I figured out how to post pictures
Was it 227? Most likely was as I'm relying on memory, no notes at all. I do remember the planetaries were a weak point. These photos are of a road builder and I have some notes on them. March 1964, Model 80-D going into shop for overhaul. After overhaul. Overhauled bucket, dipstick, and put in new bull gear.
Pitt Lake Division February 1964, Northwest 80-D gantry rebuilt. I remember it had collapsed! No injuries, just equipment failure. The boom got lengthened to an engineers specs to prevent recurrence. I think I drilled a mile of steel for all the new holes in the gantry.
Pitt Lake Division 1963, all I wrote on the back of a photos was "Rainy day in camp, also lost all electricity for a day." Must of been a very high tide and with heavy rain the Pitt River couldn't drain well. The shed on the right was the standard BCFP for parking log trucks but not wired for lights or block heaters when I was there. The shop can be seen with no doors. I think the building on the extreme left was the saw shack and the one to the right of it was the blacksmith shop. There was a separate building for servicing and tire work. All light vehicle were Dodge or Fargo, most with a small block V-8 but the older ones had the flathead 6. T-120??
Heard we have a new member on here now Welcome Caycuse 249. Look forward to seeing and hearing your input on stuff.
You really have some great pictures Born2clearcut. My family, Ollie , Jeannie, Jeff and myself, David Virtanen all worked for BCFP in Port Renfrew. Dad started in Harris Creek in about 1960, Mom worked in the cookhouse camp at the dry land sort. I started in 1979 and worked on the dryland sort, grade, and finished as highlead rigging slinger in 1989. I never took one picture in all that time, much to my everlasting regret. I have a ton of great memories of growing up and working with the people there though. If anyone wants to contact me I'm at [email protected] .
I remember that bridge well and used to walk across to the school on the otherside. We lived on the rock bluff with McMurrays, Johnsons,Petersons and Robinsons as neighbours
superdave I remember Ollie well , worked with him many times over the years , good operator that took good care of what ever machine he was operating . Alway's an interesting BS session at lunch time especially if he was running loader & Sid Smith was running yarder . These pictures were taken on top of Garbage Creek Summer of 1967 . Yarder was #717 Berger Tower , the Loader was #71 a Northwest that Ollie was running . I was Landing man on this setting . 1st picture is of a couple of the crew sitting on rounds of wood , the Gearamatic on Berger Tower was acting up , waiting for a Mechanic, L - R ,Loader Operator Ollie Virtanen , Hooker Postie with red hard hat (Former Skidder Forman) , Yarder operator Jim Weir , Rigging Slinger Jim Edwards
Thanks for the pictures Camptramp. Really great to see Ollie on the 71. Was this the one they made into the 319 short yarder? I was landingman on 319 with Ollie yarding and John McIsaac as hook. If I've got you identified right I chased for you a few times on it as well. So far as I know Ollie, Roy Johnson and you were the only guys to run her.
The loader reminds me of Kalavi Koikalainen's machine. I remember his thick Finnish accent talking to dispatch Fred Call..."How many more trucks do you want" ?....." Too ree rucks I no care!" Made me laugh every time. He and Bill Latkin were our neighbours across the street from us for a long time in top camp. I think Ralph Miranda got the new stacker before he went log grading at the sort.
Superdave,what was connection to Jeff? After logging,I hauled chips into Crofton. I met Jeff there. He was a fun guy. Are you still in MacKenzie? Wife's brother was there for 26 yrs. had the accounting firm there after he left BCFP
If memory serves they were dragging it back to the shop after a tire blow out on the sort. Dennis Jones was in the cab when she went over.
camptramp,can you look back at Post 1849,3rd picture. Someone on top of load. What would he be doing up there? WCB would go nuts over that now
I was drillers assistant when that happened. The driller didn't want to lower the boom to move and the bullprick caught on a big rock to the left of the upset drill. Whoops!
Hi Blk prince, Jeff was my brother. We tragically lost him to a MVA in Renfrew. He was well regarded by all who met him.
super dace,Jeff was well liked for sure. I do remember theMVA. Thanks for the comeback. Bp
Blk prince , I suspect the straps that hang down from the "Spreader Bar" may have got hung up on the logs , would be the only reason to climb up on the load . When we use to load logs with "Tongs" we would step off the "Pigeon Roof" to release the "Tongs" off a log on the load . It wasn't unusual to step on to the "Tongs" and get the "Shovel" operator to give us a lift up on top of a rock face to Tong the logs on the high side of the "Right Away" when "Cherry Picking" the logs off a New Road With Tongs , rather than walk down the road a couple hundred feet to a place we could climb up to get to the logs .
The #71 was a Northwest Log loader that was probably built in the 1930's , somehow I recall something about it was used at a Gold Placer Mine as a Dragline . I believe it went to Bear Creek sometime around 1950 to load logs as a Tong machine , there are a couple of pictures of it before the cab was elevated back in this thread a way's . When Ollie moved over to the #319 Ernie Harrison moved from the #79 Northwest Loader and took over the #71 in the Spring of 1971 , that open the door for me to run the #79 . The #319 was a TL 15 Washington Track Loader . It was new in Summer of 1965 Jake Kruger was the first operator on it . It originally came with a Goose Neck Boom and was used for Cherry Picking new road Right Away's with Tongs or Yarding small corners or settings and loading with Tongs . In the late 1960's the Goose Neck Boom was shortened and it was set up to have a Snorkel Mounted on it . After this was done Jake Kruger did most of the Cherry Picking of new roads with the #319 as a Snorkel loader using Grapples , the era of using Tongs was past . In the Spring of 1971 BCFP Renfrew Div. bought a new American 7220 #505 , it was set up for a Snorkel , Jake Kruger moved off the #319 onto the #505 . Ollie took over the #319 , the Snorkel was removed and it was used as a Short Yarder from then on , sometime later the Goose Neck Boom was removed and it was equipped with a straight Yarding Boom . I did run the #319 on a couple of occasions , but Danny Jones was the official Backup Operator . I ran it in the Fall of 1979 for awhile , and in early Summer 1986 , I had just been put behind the wheel of a Brand new P510S Pacific Highway log truck #6-284 in May , I had taken it home on the weekend and Washed and Waxed it . On the way through Gordon River Camp Monday morning , Reg Beal called me into the Office and asked me to go with the #319 crew to run the Yarder . I think Ollie was off getting his Ankle fixed and Danny Jones had had a mishap in his family over the weekend . I ran it until we went on Strike then ran it for awhile after the Strike . It was over 6 months before I got back behind the wheel of the new truck.
Pitt Lake Division. Driver is Ron, nick named Kangaroo. The 216 had at least 3 drivers on it during my time there.
How many locations on the main land did BCFP work, I am guess just 3 or 4 ??
Hank R, I haven't a clue to your question, I Googled it and got nowhere quickly. There's a coffee table book about BCFP and it probably has the answer. Library? The photos here are from 1963, the man in front of the cedar slab is Ernie Leroux, a mechanic and I think he lived in the Haney area. I have nothing written on the trucks. The photo with the sleigh on the right of the truck was the trailer reload, a 10-10 Lawrence with a 6 cylinder Chrysler engine, usually used 1st gear to lift the trailers but I discovered it really grunted and 2nd gear would pick those suckers up quite nicely and quickly without the engine at the top of the governor.
Good to see some activity on this thread. We need to awaken a few more of the treasures. Bp
In 1975 there were 6 BCFP logging Camps on the Mainland of B.C. operating as Company Logging Camps - Silver River , Pitt Lake , Narrows Inlet , Malibu , Wakeman Sound and Nekite River . There were also 12 Contractor Operated Logging Camps on the Mainland of B.C. There were 2 BCFP Company Logging Camps on Vancouver Island - Renfrew and Cowichan/Nitinat (Caycuse) . There were 5 Contractor Operated Logging Camps on Vancouver Island .
Thanks there are days when Google and me do not get along.
Pitt Lake Division 1963: I wrote on the back side of this photo,"Charlie K. killing time." Hmmm.... Actually when a driver had the time he'd wash the truck and the trucks would get washed before servicing. BCFP No. 215 Charlie told the story while waiting near the landing to get a load, engine off, a black bear climbed up on the truck and onto the hood. At that point he blew the horn. There were several scratches in the hood paint and it never got repaired.
Not much on the back of these photos, Joe 1963 and Joe watering up 1963 Pitt Lake. Truck was the 216.
callingtheshop, After looking at the truck pictures you posted (2018) with the loads on them it became clear why the trailers had 14:00X24 tires and the trucks had 12:00X24 tires. More weight on the trailers Makes sense with that configuration. Also the low mount mirrors and cab steps are a giveaway to the era they were built
1963 Pitt Lake Div. Gorden Hardy. HDX, Thanks for pointing those items out, when I was there the trucks were fairly young, like I was, and still am.
Front End Loader Crofton Vancouver Island [video=youtube;S4p1kDP49Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4p1kDP49Qw[/video]
Boulder Bill , I believe these are from the Al Green Collection . Caycuse Div. 1st picture is Dave Pervert , 2nd picture Harold Speck , 3rd picture Ernie Miners , 4th picture Ken Robertson .
Dave Pervert????.....that's quite the handle.
Copied off someone else's writing might be wrong , I apologize if I got it wrong .
Boulder Bill / Al Green 1st picture Al Peters , 2nd picture Gordon Powers , 3rd picture Joe Zboyovousky , 4th picture Phil Machinyt .
Pitt Lake Division 1963. Line horse and trailer reload. Rock crusher coming to camp before it gets snowed in. There was a long steep hill just out of camp that it came down and the truck was snubbing it. The grader was steering and towing. The rock crusher was powered by a Waukesha 6 cyl. gas engine that had a pup starting engine and that was started with a pull rope. Simplicity. I tried to find something like it on the Internet early this morning and got into Buda and Hall Scott before I realized I had to get back to bed and get some sleep. Easily sidetracked. Harold Speck, I remember him, did he ever work at Pitt Lake or?
callingtheshop I recall a Rock Crusher that BCFP owned in that time period that was moved from BCFP operation to operation as needed . ( And remember those well maintained Mainline Haul Roads of the 1950's , 1960 and 1970's ) The name Stan Smith comes to mind as the fellow that ran it in those days , later I think Ian Brydon ran it for awhile , I think Roland Baird was the last operator of the Rock Crusher at Caycuse . I don't recall seeing it after the late 1960's . I wonder if that is the same Rock Crusher that was in Renfrew Div. for a time . Great that you have pictures of it , another memory fading away .
camptramp,the lite just came on. As Roland Baird was my wife's uncle. I will as if there are any pictures available. His wife Margeret is still with us. I will do my best and let you know. Bp
Photo itt Lake 1963 of the parking shed and on the right is the tire shop/service bay. I think most or all of BCFP had a shed for parking some equipment in. In PL it was used mainly for smaller pieces of equipment except during a winter shutdown, then the empty log trucks would park there. Camptramp, I was at PL for four years and the crusher was always there, probably too difficult to move as a big barge fee would be involved. The operator was Dave (I can't remember his last name) and he did all sorts of work in the grade department but always operated the crusher. In 1963 his age was about 60, really ancient as I was 19! He used to be a hard rock miner in his earlier work. Ring any bells on his last name? Oh yes, Don Ramsey was some sort of grade boss and Vic McKay was the foreman.
callingtheshop I don't recall a Dave operating the Crusher at Renfrew , I know the name Vic Mckay , but have never met him . Don Ramsey made his rounds of the different BCFP Camps retiring as Division Manager of Renfrew Div. when Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP .
I've been following these various logging threads for a while now and after watching that video I just now realized how big those Wagner's really are. Here in northern, Illinois our version of logging is one guy with a chain saw and the other in a skid steer and a grapple bucket or an excavator stacking the logs up to burn while clearing for farm fields so getting to see how big some of the off highway trucks and various other equipment are is always neat.
Pitt Lake 1963 Back of a bunkhouse, cookhouse on the left and I think Bailey's house/post office in the background. The bunkhouses were typical with two men to a room and a shared bathroom with the next room. Small white building was the bullcooks shack.
Here are a few pics from Pitt Lake 2010. It was Teal Jones when I was there but you can see the old shop and power plant from a long time ago...
I have posted a few of these on the logging camp and barges thread thought they would be better here.
More Pitt Lake...Moved that X BCFP 7280 to Port Renfrew. I operated it for about 1 year for Teal and Northview
Great Photos, thank you. The photo under the old chainsaw shows a large building, what was it? I left there the spring of 1967 and was never there again and cannot remember that building. The Pelton wheel: what a neat set up and it usually worked really well, was it operational when you were there? The blue power house: I think it had a Cummins but maybe it was a Cat?? Can't remember. Anything in it in 2010?
calling the shop I believe it was a rec hall at one time, the pelton was running strong when I was there. It produced about half the power to run the camp when full house, not sure what kind of gen set they were running. Penstock ran up the mountain something like 2000 ft it is wood with wire wrapping There is a lot of history in that valley from gold to logs and home steads. I got a bit of a helli tour up there but no camera...
Thank you for the information. Some of the buildings are the same, some not. Have a look at this, I sure did poorly. http://www.americantorque.com/game/pickup-id/
Pitt Lake Division 1964. BCFP #775 VIEW Sparmatic repairs. At that time it had a Tyee winch and later on had a Skagit installed. The men were Mac Bowland (back to camera) and Grapple Bill.
callingtheshop do you recall if the #775 Sparmatic had a "SkylineDrum" and was capable of "Slacklining" , did Pitt Lake have more than one Sparmatic ? Also was the Log Loader a Northwest 80D #74 ?
camptramp, I sure had to think a bit...the 775 went away on a barge around 1966 -1967 to the BCFP repair shop in the Vancouver area. Was it on Annacis Island or? I never did visit it but I think that's where Jerry Anderson and Kieth Ware worked out of. I think it had a Tyee winch before it went away?? It came back with a brand new winch and power unit. Yes, it was a slackline but while I was at PL it was only used for highlead. It used to have a Cummins engine and came back with a new 12V-71 DD and I think it was a Twin-Disc powershift transmission. The winch was a regen set up and in it's early days had an issue with the frictions and the friction V-flanges. They were vented and one kept cracking until a solid non-vented flange was installed, The friction blocks were some kind of stacked materials that separated quickly. I think a solid wood friction block ended up in it. I can't remember anything about the loader you mentioned. There were two Washington loaders eventually, a tong loader on tracks, would that be a TL-15? And a new grapple loader on a 4 axle undercarriage, was that a TL-6? During one year an old Northwest Model 5? showed up. It was really worn out and broke down continuously but the operator was rough tough guy and kept yelling for repairs. I think his name was Ernie Deroche from Deroche. I ended up on the old Southbend lathe making bolts for that old shovel most of one summer. There was another Northwest and maybe that was the on you mentioned. There's a picture of one that the gantry had failed on. I'll did out the photos a look at them for a number. I hope this helps a bit. Did the 775 stay in the company?
callingtheshop the #775 Sparmatic may have ended up at Caycuse don't know for sure . The Washington TL-15 in posting #1995 Page 133 is the #93 I think , it ended up at Renfrew Div. in late 1970's , niece loader . There's a picture of it in posting #1994 parked in Renfrew Yard . A Washington TL- 6 from Pitt Lake #318 showed up at Nekite River in Summer of 1979 , it had tandem drive axles but only a single steering axle . It ended up at Renfrew Div. in 1980 or 1981 . I'm pretty sure the Northwest behind the Sparmatic tower in posting 2045 and the Northwest 80D being worked on in posting #2000 is the #74 . It was a bit of an odd ball , it had a block purchase in the heel boom to shorten the Haulback to open the Grapple's , the Main Drum was divided in half with Mainline tailholded on right side and Haulback tailholded on left side . It was shipped to Renfrew Div. in the mid 1960's . I ran across Ernie Deroche at O'conners camp Cleo Creek , just outside Mahhatta River in 1976 , quite a character . 1st picture , #74 at Hemmingston Cr. 1967 Renfrew Div. , 2nd picture the #74 retired at Caycuse Camp . 3rd & 4th picture's is the #93 on lowbed at Harris Cr M/L & Hemmingston M/L junction .
Camptramp, I just checked the photo with a magnifying glass, No. 74. Good call.
I am amazed at all the knowledge that you guys have Callingtheshop, Camptramp and others. I have to check in every morning before my first cup of coffee.
Touched base with Rob Norman this evening , the #775 View Spar was sent from Pitt Lake to Caycuse in the late 1970's . It had an IJ-90 Skagit Winch on it and was used as a Slack Line at Caycuse . Not sure what happened to it when Caycuse switched from Slack Lining to Grapple Yarding .
The good weather is here so I'm away a lot from the computer but I thought the last thing I should post to do with 1964 was of the bike I got in April /64. A British Crotch Rocket of it's day but typical British POS and got rid of it in early /65 for a Honda.
Does anyone have any pics of the old townsite/ shop area in Vancouver bay?
BCFP Renfrew Div. Brian Dickson long time Cowichan area Heavy Duty Mechanic and Master Mechanic has loaned us his logging pictures to share . Unfortunately others he had were misplaced in a move a couple of years ago . HDX Hayes #6-243 being loaded by Washington TL6 #309 or #311 from Madill Grapple Yarder #27-02 or #27-28
Brian Dickson BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-2 Madill Grapple Yarder being assembled at Gordon River shop .
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. Yarder is the #27-25 Madill , Loader is #309 Washington TL-6 Track Loader , Logging Truck is the #6-243 HDX Hayes
Nice pictures Camptramp, we need a Like button on here. I've been yarding on the Mosquito mainline about 2 km.
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. The #27-25 Madill Grapple Yarder having a bad day on WFI Hook/Up Road , Braden Cr. end 1980 or 1981 . 2nd picture has Bill Neil's HDX Hayes and 849 Kenworth in back ground .
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 TL 15 Washington Track Loader at the old Renfrew Div. Industrial Site at Port Renfrew with a fresh coat of paint . This machine originally was equipped with a "Goose Neck" loading Boom in this picture it has been changed to a straight "Yarding Boom .
BCFP truck cab Hi guys I came across this truck cab a Few years ago. Near the Harris creek camp and I finally made it back yesterday to get some pictures of it. It has #1317 on the door. Is there any pictures of it from its hay day? What brand of truck was it?
My guess it is wwII surplus military truck with those square windows. Maybe a White or Brockway 666 model or a Federal but I have been wrong several times before
Check out posting 366 on this thread Same truck
Great, thanks! I figured there would be a picture in here somewhere of it, but wasn't sure where to start.
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. #91 Northwest Model 6 Grade Shovel .
Great pictures Camptramp & Brian, thanks. On this 2nd picture, is that structure for a push truck to lock on too, or is the pin not used when pushing? Thanks, would like to try pushing sometime with some of our own modest hills, not sure what police would say if they saw us...
Your welcome John . The push bar is attached to the back of carrier for a logging truck or Cat to push on . The pin is to use to attach a Cable to when snubbing the machine down a steep grade . When pushing heavy Logging Equipment or Lowbeds around I was never coupled solidly together , the front bumper's on Off Highway logging trucks are very well built and take a lot of abuse. Plus we were on private roads .
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div . This picture is of the #6-260 a P16 Pacific brand new ( driver Tony Weber ) . Even though it has no numbers visible , it is identical to the #6-263 , I've seen a picture of #6-263 at the Pacific Factory with the numbers on it .
Thought it looked familiar...... 6-263 at Pacific....No idea who took the pic but that would be me sitting under it attending to some last minute detail.. I see taller stacks on 260,stainless mirrors and a 3rd step on the right side running board...Driver upgrades ??
There is one number on top corner of bulkhead on the 260
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. A young Brian Dickson in coveralls , standing on the track of what looks to be a new HITACHI excavator .
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture , Jim Perreaux working in welding shop at Renfrew shop know as "The Industrial Site" . 2nd picture looks like a unique costume made going away gift for someone retiring .
Brian Dickson , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is of a Cat Arch outside Gordon River Shop . 2nd picture is #6-239 an HDX Hayes on its side from a "run away" going down hill into Caycuse DLS . 3rd picture is the Logging Truck Wash at Gordon River Shop . 4th picture is a Log Barge being loaded at one of the isolated BCFP camps .
Vancouver Bay married quarters in the Fifties.
Touched base with an old friend and fellow worker Brent Rowland who has a few pictures to share . Brent's father Larry Rowland was the Camp Engineer at Renfrew Div. in the early 1960's . Brent started on the "Rigging" in the early 1960's , was 2nd Rigging on a Slack Line when I worked with him in 1966 - 1967 , spent time on the DLS running a Sorting Shovel , retiring from the Forest Industry as a Faller .The 1st picture is a Heisler Locie that use to operate on the Bear Creek side of the San Juan valley , the 2nd is a wooden Spar Tree .
Brent Rowland , BCFP , 1st three picture's Camp 3 Nitinat Camp , 4th , 5th picture's Youbou Sawmill & Town site .
Brent Rowland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture The Rowland home in Beach Camp during the snowy Winter of 1968-69 . 2nd to 5th pictures are the #797 Skagit Yarder and the #73 a Modle 6 Northwest Log Loader .
Brent Rowland , BCFP Renfrew Division . DLS at Port Renfrew . The first two pictures are the Kenworth Log Stacker unloading the #205 HDX Hayes logging truck driven by Fred Call . The third picture is a 988 Cat Stacker . The fourth picture is the #91 a Model 6 Northwest Grade Shovel with a grapple on the "dipper stick" used to sort grade logs operated by Brent Rowland around 1970 . These pieces of equipment were used on the DLS from when it was open in the early 1960's until the early 1970's . When the Kenworth was replace by a Wagoner the 988 Cat by newer 988 Cat's and Northwest by a Hydraulic Log Loader .
BCFP Beach Camp Port Renfrew B.C. 1st picture , Beach Camp (Note Locie Shop in right back ground) late 1940's or early 1950's . 2nd picture Cove Bridge (Note Marina , I can remember Fish Camps & Gillnet Fish Boats tied up there in mid to late 1950's) 1950 ? 3rd picture Cove Bridge 1970's or 1980's .
Cove Bridge and Beach Camp 1990's .
Boulder Bill . BCFP Renfrew Div. I found this picture amongst Bill's pictures . It's actually on top of Garbage Cr. taken sometime in Summer of 1969 . The HDX Hayes is the #6-232 when it was a month or so old . The Skagit Steel Tower is a Slackline Tower #663 , Sid "SKidder" Smith running it . The Loader is a Model 6 Northwest #79 Ernie Harrison running it . I remember the setting well , I was the Landingman on the crew . It was a tough setting for the Rigging Crew , so after Ernie had the Truck Loaded out and gone , he would get off the Loader and go for a walk . While he was gone I would unhook the chokers then climb up on the Loader and put the logs on his pile or lay them out to buck .
Boulder Bill , BCFP Caycuse Div.
old picture i have had for years it is on vancouver island bc
Looks like a Caycuse Div. truck #6-230 its an HDX preloader , but its not being used as a preloader as the preload legs are missing off the front bunk . picture was taken late 1980's to 1991 as the BCFP logo is gone and the Fletcher Challenge logo has replaced it .
BCFP Renfrew Div. I was scanning through some "Folders" looking for a certain picture , when I came across some pictures of my late Brother Inlaw Bruce Wilson that I don't think I've posted before . 1st picture is Bruce in his Youth 2nd Rigging , 2nd picture Bruce running the #27-10 a Madill 009 Highlead Yarder , 3rd & 4th picture is Bruce running a #318 a Washington TL 6 Log Loader .
BCFP Renfrew Div. Bruce Wilson on #318 a Washington TL 6 Track Loader .
Thank you for taking the time to preserve the history and share it Cam
Bruce Wilson , BCFP , Renfrew Div. , #27-23 Madill 009 Yarder , I'm not sure about this incident , but I'm willing to bet the Yarding Engineer was a little excited .
Yikes! I bet he took the rest of the day off after that.
Bruce Wilson , BCFP Renfrew Div. I remember Bruce telling me about a log that got away on the load and ended up balanced on the "Pigeon Roof" of the Logging Truck . Shortly after they got things fixed (there was no damage) , the Woods Foreman arrived , someone on the crew had a Polaroid Camera , had taken a picture . The picture was shown to the Foreman , who got quite a chuckle looking at it , until someone told him it had just happened before he got there . Apparently at that point didn't think it was so funny , turned white and left .
Jim Elliott on T L 6 and mike green on grapple yarder
not everyday you see a wagner in a septic tank
Linda Blatchford (Backland) has loan us her late Father Jim Backlands's Pictures & slides to share . Jim Backland was a 2nd generation BCFP Logger who grew up in the Old Bear Creek Camp , his father Jack was the head Powder Man . Jim work his way up the Grade Department ar Renfrew Division , running Drill Cats , Logging Cats , then Grade Cat . In the mid 1970's he took on a Grade Foreman position in BCFP's Inlet Division"s . The first picture is Jim operating his Cat equiped with a "U" Blade .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Drillers Ed Swenney & Jim Lewis .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Ed Swenney & Jim Lewis with their Drill Cat .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. , Jim Backland running a Logging Cat Salvaging a Boom of Logs on the beach at the head of San Juan Bay Port Renfrew B.C.
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Renfrew Div. Superintendent Arnie Bergland . 2nd picture Renfrew Div. Woods Foreman Bob Robertson . 3rd picture Renfrew Div. Woods Foreman Jack Messer with Pete Mortensen
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Bob Robertson , Robert Ceriko , Loyd Ceriko , Pete Mortensen , & Jack Messer . 2nd picture Jim Backland , Robert Ceriko , Loyd Ceriko , Pete Mortensen & Jack Messer . 3rd picture Robert Ceriko . There is a Second World War Plane wreck site above Spur 18 off the Hassis Ceek M/L on Mt. Bolduck . It appears Robert Ceriko , Loyd Ceriko & Pete Mortensen have visted the sit and packed out some Wreckage .
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Assistant Grade Foreman Al Schultz , Cat Skinner Jim Backland , Cat Swamper Bruce Christison ,Grade Foreman Ian Bryden . 2nd picture Cat Swmpers Bob Green & Bruce Christison .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture use to be a common site in May & June a Bambi on side of road . 2nd picture is Botanical Beach on the Straits of Juan De Fuca just South of San Juan Bay . 3rd picture is a view of Upper Beach Camp these house's were moved down from The Old Harris Creek Camp in the early 1960's . The house in the for ground is that of long time Port Renfrew resident Norm Smith . I recall another house on this site burning down on a rainy Winter's night in the mid 1950's , cause was refilling a hot gas lamp with fluid . Those were the day's before the West Coast Road was built fo llowed by a B.C. Hydro connection to Jordan River .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. A Heisler Locie pulling loaded Skeleton cars across Bear Cr Trestle .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Looks like some well used Cats a Madill Tower on a truck Chassis and the #717 Berger Tower are gathered at the Renfrew Shop awaiting the Barge to town .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is the #319 a Washington Track Loader . 2nd picture is Bill Sjoberg , one of the finest men I worked with "Pulling Levers" on a High lead Yarder or Slackline Yarder , either as "Chaser or Pulling Rigging" . 3rd picture is Waddy Weeks , BCFP's last Locie Engineer , Driving the #222 a Hayes HDX Logging Truck .
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is Ollie Virtanen standing in front of #71 a Northwest Log Loader . 2nd picture is Whistle Punk "Jumbo" Jones on left and Hook Tender Pavo Postie on right with Rigging Crew Between . Jumbo was an amazing man , he lost his left arm in a car accident in the 1950's , but was the best Whistle Punk in camp and would find a piece of Cedar and Carve amazing things like Wooden Chains with a Ball in a Box. Pavo Postie was Renfrew Div. last Skidder Foreman . 3rd picture is Reg Beale standing by #191 a Kenworth "Chunk Truck" logging truck with a Courtenay Heal Boom Loader . The Line Horse in the back ground is the #190 a Kenworth logging truck rigged up as line horse .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is Brian Emerson on a Kenworth Log Stacker . 2nd & 3rd picture is Roy Dorchuk on a 988 Log Stacker .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. #797 a 120 ft. telescoping tower track mount Skagit with an IJ-80 winch .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Nick Kerluke building road with a P&H hydraulic Grade Shovel .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Another 2nd generation BCFP Logger who grew up in the Old Bear Cr. Camp . Robbie Young on his TD 25 Dozer . Robbie worked his entire working career at Renfrew Div. from BCFP - Timberwest most of it as a Cat Skinner .
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. This old Steam Pot was abandoned not far from the Harris Cr / Hemmingsen Cr. Junction , the name "Jake Hill" was carved into one of wooden uprights for the roof . The old Yarder now sits in the B.C. Forest Discovery Center at Duncan B.C. .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. One of the few pictures I have come across of the #224 an HDX Hayes . The trailer being unloaded by the #319 a Washington TL 15 combination Log Loader / Yarder . Note the way the Grapple is lifting trailer , as there was still one TL 15 loading with tongs , there were two cable loops , one in front of bunk and one behind bunk to lift the trailer with tongs . The loaders equipped with Grapples had a hook on each side that we could hang a "D" on ( Mainline side ) the end of a cable "Spreader Bar " with a set of two hooks on the bottom end hook into the two loops on trailer . One time I was a landing Man and had just climbed up on the logging truck trailer which was loaded "Piggy Back" on the logging Truck and had hooked the two loops with the "Lifting Hooks" . As I jumped off the truck to get in the clear , I heard one Hell of a crash above me . When the Loader Operator had started to lift the Trailer the Boom Line had broken and the Loader Boom was lying on the Bunk of trailer . We had to replace the Boom Line before we could unload the trailer .
Jim Backland BCFP Renfrew Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. ( 1970 ) 2nd picture Personal Manager Bob Lahoar & Bullbucker Eric Saari . 3rd picture Faller Dave Anderson & Bullbucker Eric Saari .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture Faller Dave Anderson , 2nd Picture Faller Ernie Briscol , 3rd picture Faller Sig Tait .
Jim Backlad , BCFP Renfrew Div. , Faller Ed Jervis .
Great to see some of the fallers, Camptramp, thanks. They must have been busy old boys, to keep up in front of all the heavy trucks and loaders. Big old macs and homelites looks like, great photos. Thanks to Jim Backland.
Thanks John Shipp , The late Jim Backland was was a very interesting fellow , he grew up in the "Old Bear Creek Camp" worked in the woods for awhile , then joined the Canadian Air Force for awhile . Then returned to the Woods for the rest of his working life . He had many talents as well as being an above average "Cat Skinner" , he also did Income Tax Returns for some of us at Tax Time . At the time he moved his family into Port Renfrew in the early 1960's there was a fellow that use to bring current "Movie's" into Port Renfrew one night a week , it wasn't long after Jim moved in that the fellow would ship the "Movie's" into Jim and he would run the Projector and show the Movie's . In the mid 1970's Jim took on a Grade Foreman's job at BCFP's more isolated camps . I have many of his slides , I am now Scanning , some I have an idea where they were taken , others I haven't a clue . If anyone recognize's or knows what the pictures are please let us know . The first picture is an ex Renfrew Divison HDX Hayes logging truck it was originally a preload style truck , in the late 1960 's it was converted to a conventional style logging truck , then shipped out of the Division as newer trucks were brought in to Renfrew . This is the first picture that I have seen of the #212 since about 1970
Jim Backland BCFP , Wakeman Sound Div.
Jim Backland BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP the 2nd & 3rd pictures are of the #6-248 HDX Hayes I'm not sure what Division this truck was sent new to and I believe its the first picture I've seen of it .
Jim Backland BCFP , Narrows Inlet . I think I have found out where the #6-248 HDX Hayes was assigned to .
Jim Backland BCFP .
Jim Backland BCFP .
Jim Backland BCFP .
Jim Backland BCFP . 1st picture is an aerial view of Youbou .
Jim Backland BCFP . Glad I wasn't running Madill Yarder in 1st picture . 2nd , 3rd & 4th picture looks like a Tyee winch on a Tyee Telescoping Tower on a Tank Carrier .
Was interesting how things changed when fallers went from being paid on scale to a day rate, particularly at the Renfrew Division. I recall being told that when the fallers were paid by scale, or how much they actually cut down, there were around 16 fallers at Renfrew and they stayed ahead of the logging crews no problem. A few years later when fallers all got a day rate for a 6 1/2 hour day it took 40 or so fallers to stay ahead of the logging crews at Renfrew. Most spoiled bunch of prima-donnas I ever saw in any logging camp I worked in by far. I still shake my head at some of the BS those guys got away with back then. (To be clear, not referring to those guys in the pics above your post as they look old school to me.) Just my observations and recollections. Take care.
Sure do enjoy looking at the pictures, must of taken quite a while to get rigged up to get the logs out. Lots of back breaking work, with many ways to have something go wrong and a person to get hurt.
This looks a lot like the old A-sticks dump at the head of Knight Inlet. Maybe dumping one of Percy Logging P-16s.
Jim Backland BCFP . Thanks for your thoughts 6-110 , are these pictures related to Percy's camp in Knights Inlet .
Jim Backland BCFP .
Jim Backland BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland . BCFP .
That is what we called "the million dollar bridge" over the Klinaklini River. It was constructed using laminated beams and was said to cost BCFP one million dollars in the 1960's. Instead of 100 ton loads I believe it will only handle highway truck sized loads now.
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Looks like the wrapper is still on the last picture of logs sliding down into the water. Was that normal to leave the wrapper on, and how did they get it off out in the water? Sure enjoying the old pictures, a lot! Thanks for posting them for us to look at and enjoy.
The load of logs have been dumped on a Dry Land Sorting area . The logs would have been spread out in a long row , then been "Scaled" for volume , then graded , then sorted (species , saw logs , peelers , pulp ) placed in bunks above the skid logs , wrapped with a light wire (wrapper) then sent down the skid logs into the water to be placed into booms of the same "Sort" . When the Booms of logs arrive at the designated Mill , the bundle's are lifted out of the water and bundle wires removed .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP . A couple of Grizzly Bears checking out the Camp .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jiim Backland , BCFP . A aerial view of Cowichan Bay .
The pictures of the Trailer houses would that be a camp for a season or a long term camp. Great bunch of pictures keep them coming.
I'm not sure where that Camp is , but it would be a long term . The first two pictures would be an aerial view of the Bunk Houses and Cook House & Office , the 3rd & 4th pictures of single wide trailers would be the Married Quarters .
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland ,BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Great pictures of the excavator, checking how far down it was to solid ground. That much mud around it would of created a lot of suction to over come to pull the excavator out. That and throw in the steep angle it was sitting at to come up took some doing.
6-248 Went to Narrows new
Jim Backland , BCFP , Warner Bay Div .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Warner Bay Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet Div. #6-248 Hayes Logging Truck .
Jim Backland BCFP , Narrows Inlet . I believe this is also at Narrows Inlet , check the # out on this Pacific , I've never seen a number on a BCFP off highway logging truck higher than #6-264 in 1980 , there maybe numbers above #6-264 , but a jump up to #6-502 ? I did see a WHD Hayes at Nekite River Div. in 1975 that had a #50? that I assumed was an ex Catermolte Trethewy truck as there were other Machine's at Nekite R. with #50? numbers , a Madill yarder I ran started with #50? .
Interesting..Pictures are very nice and the paint on the truck looks good so I imagine they are'nt really old but the checkerplate running boards are before my time there.They may have been replaced. I also notice a skid plate on the Allison..I installed a few but they weren't that common.I am sure the camps made a few of their own.. Some really nice pictures...
From what you can see, is that a Pacific P 16 frame . Why I ask is , could that be an ex Catermolte Trethwy Hayes that had the cab & water tank destroyed and was rebuilt by Pacific Truck in the mid 1970's after the high window cabs were introduced . Or a Pacific P 16 replacing a wrecked Hayes using the old number ?
It looks to be all Pacific to me but I have never actually looked at a HDX frame.I know the big windows came in around 77.Larry at Pacific tells me there are actually 3 sizes of windshields.. One of the first P-16's I remember is Blk Princes super truck.The pictures I have don't show it having checker plate running boards..But he would know for sure.. I certainly don't recognize the fab work on the top of the water tank.The mounts look Pacific but I believe we had one or two ex Hayes engineers and maybe draftsmen.. It could very well be a "camp" built truck or rebuild. Is there a reason why they have the rain cap pointed into the wind ???I thought they went the other way ???
Don't know about the rain cap , might have been in a good position to tighten bolt . LOL
Ha Ha...good answer Is the fold up tounge on the back of the low bed a push plate for the pusher truck ??
The center fold up on the trailer I am pretty sure is for the push truck to push on when needed. As I remember when the ramp on one side or the other raises it lifts the push plate. Has to be quite a sight when they have a couple trucks pulling and one pushing, going up and around all the switch backs.
Yes , when the ramps are raised , the tong in the middle is raised so a push truck can pull up to and push . I spent a lot of time driving the push truck . Some guy's hated being in the push truck . In the Winter time there was lots of mud spray flying around , in the Summer the dust was so thick you could barely see loading ramps . the trick was to stay with truck bumper against the lowbeds push bar . if you got a couple of feet back from push bar and the lowbed driver braked , the push truck driver was going through the windshield . In the Summer time if you got a few feet back of the push bar , the push truck driver was blind in the cloud of dust , all you could do is come to a complete stop until the dust cleared , then catch the lowbed on the next hill . Tom Worth was the lowbed driver in Renfrew Div. , he was great to work with , he would let me use more power than he did until we got into hard up hill grades . When we started down hill grades and I felt him brake , I would back off . When we got off the hill he would let me build up power before he started pulling . That way I was always against the push bar . We use to make amazing time with a Madill or Cypress Grapple Yarder or Super Snorkel on board . The Hayes HDX's use to be a better push truck on switch backs than the P 16 Pacific's as the front fenders on the Pacific's stuck out so far , they could get hung up on the lowbed ramps on a tight corner .
Jim Backland , BCFP Caycuse Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Caycuse Div .
You are getting some real great pictures up for all of us to enjoy thanks.
Jim Backland , BCFP Caycuse Div. Couldn't quite make out last name Dick Hesley ? 1st picture Dick's last day on Cat , 2nd picture Dick's last blade full 3rd picture is Dick's last day on job , retiring after 44 years working at Caycucse . Dick on left , Jim Backland center .
Jim Backland BCFP Caycuse Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP . I believe this little Jewell belonged to John Miller the accountant at Nekite River in 1978-79 .
Who is guy in CZ cap?
Garry Oliver , the Bullbucker from Caycues Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Landing Bucker Hill Martin & Head Rigger Blaine Hanna . 2nd picture the Williams Creek Suspension Bridge .
Jim Backland , BCFP , I think this is one of Jim's son's Taking a weather reading and checking out a Grapple Yarder .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture a Drill Cat the type used at Renfrew Div. in the 1960's 3rd picture is Norm Byman (Big Guy in middle) a Driller Blaster who ran one of the Drill Cats .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Norm Byman was a real character with a wicked sense of humor who delighted in teasing us new guy's the first Summer I worked in the woods . Last picture is Norm performing for the camera .
Jim Backland BCFP Narrows Inlet . dropping the "A" Frame at the wet dump .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet . Dropping the "A" Frame .
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP . I think these pictures were take in the McKenzie area of Northern B.C.
Jim Backland , BCFP Narrows Inlet Div. Camp Crew Boat .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet Div. Camp Crew Boat .
Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. . #50 Drill , a Euclid Rock Truck made into a Rock Drill . Had a run away on Hemmingsen Creek #4300 .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Re nfrew Div. , #50 Rock Drill .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Just got a call from Rob Norman , he tells me Dick Healy hired on at Caycuse April 6,1934 according to an old early 1960's seniority list he has . And spent a good many years Cat Logging .
Jim Backland . BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Hi Camptramp, what is happening in the last two photos, is the airplane dropping fire retardant or something like that, or have I got it backwards? Thanks for the daily photos, really enjoy. All the best.
Yes John , a Water Bomber is dropping Fire Retardant on a Fire . Just guessing , but it looks like a Beach or Campers Fire on a sand bar . Looks like Jim B. took the picture from a Crew Boat used to take the "Crew" from Town to an isolated Camp . Depending the distance it could be daily or at the start and finish of a 10 day at work and 4 day weekend . Referred to as a 10 and 4 shift .
10 & 4 at isolated camp sounds good to me, put me down for it if it happens again.
10 & 4 were fairly common shifts , but there were some 15 & 6 . Some camps worked 6 day's a week production , Sundays were used to service or repair equipment or take care of some rigging work (up ending Main lines or Haul back lines or notching Guy line Stumps for next setting) some of us worked 6 1/2 day's a week for 5 or more weeks then took a week to 10 day's off then returned to camp . Quite often a crew member would get to town and would call camp with an excuse to stay in town a couple of extra day's . The best one I heard was from a Hook Tender by the name of Wilf , he called camp to ask the Super if he could stay in town an extra couple of day's because his Brother in law had been bitten by a Dog .
Jim Backland , BCFP , Narrows Inlet Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Narrows Inlet Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP Narrows Inlet Div.
Jim Backland , B CFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Not so much fun as it sounds when you where 19 and single with women to chase, booze to drink and fast cars to drive waiting for you back home. But you went because that's where the money was to do those things.
Ha, yes, I get you. Then again, mid 40's with cute wife and kids, take them and enough beers with you. Swap the fast car for a smooth running log loader. Sounds like where we are now, except the scenery is not so stunning and the towns and traffic getting closer everyday.
Jim Backland , BCFP . Hears some more scenery for you John .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP . I'm not positive , but HDX Hayes in 2nd & 3rd picture could be the #6-254 an HDX Hayes that was new at Nekite River and is one of three BCFP Conventional HDX Hayes that was painted White & Orange at factory . The other two #6-251 and #6-252 were at Caycuse Div.
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP . Renfrew Div. ? I have to wonder if the "Driller" to the Right in this picture isn't Head Powderman Jack Backland , Jim Backlands father . I remember Jack Backland and his crew using "Jack Hammers" to drill & blast the top off a hill over looking the mouth of the San Juan River in Beach Camp to make room for the houses from the Bear Creek Camp around 1959 .
In BCFP post #2169 picture #1 6-248 has a hydraulic tank mounted in the driver side water tank ladder. This is the same as the truck in BCFP post #2233 picture #2. In Vancouver Island B.C. Logging At its Best post # 16, there is a picture called BCFP Hayes. I think that is 6-254 after I drove it at ERT. I put side panels on it and removed the rear fenders. I can't see or recall a hydraulic tank in the water tank ladder. Do you think that maybe 6-248 got painted orange while hauling at Narrows Inlet?
You know these trucks better than I do . I'm sure the #6-247 & #6-254 had a hydraulic ram under the Truck Bunk to hook up to the Lowbed . I see the #6-248 hooked to the Lowbed so I presume it has a Ram under the front Bunk also . In the picture of it under the trailer reload there is no plate between where the trailer reach sits when trailer sits piggy back on truck empty and side of water tank . But it is on the truck on the DLS , it could have been added , and in the late 1970's most of the logging trucks were painted the newer paint scheme . The #6-247 was painted the same as the #6-248 in these pictures when I first seen it in 1975 , the next time I saw it in 1978 it was painted Orange & White . These slides are badly mixed up I may yet come across a close up picture of the #6-248 in the Orange & White colors .
Thanks for your reply. In post 113 of the BCFP thread there is another orange hdx with different guarding again on top of the water tank. It also seems to have a box behind the battery box. Picture says Narrows Inlet.
Can't help but notice the majority of the pickups are Ford. Is that because the company ran Ford, or were they the only ones that would stand up?
Post # 2222 picture #3 is of Jim Stanton's cabin. It was about 1500 feet up the mainline from the dryland sort at the head of Knight Inlet.
Up until the mid 1970's every pickup , panel , crumy and 2-3 ton trucks or pretty much every thing that burned gas were Dodge or Fargo . Then BCFP started switching over to Fords in the mid 1970's . Perhaps they stayed with one brand to limit the spare parts stocked in the camp's warehouse to one brand . Dave Hadden are you out there ? Maybe you might have a better reason .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Al, I was wondering about the picture of the barge load of scrap and the Euclid Dumptruck on it. Do you have any idea what that was all about? Was it going to the Vancouver Scrap dealer? the reason I ask is because the thing in the back of the dump truck is actually a "Coleman" These were very scarce around here. There is one out at the Martin Mars water bomber site that Is used to pull the planes around. A good friend from Brighton Colorado wrote a book on these trucks some years ago and he felt from everything he saw at the water bomber base that the one there was the PROTO TYPE for these trucks. Extremely rare up and this is the second one I have seen. Was talking to Jim about it and he thought there was one out at the tractor society in Chilliwack but that was some years ago. Just a shot, but was wondering what she was doing prior to the exit on the barge there.
Jim bless his sole , has long departed us , so I can't ask him . I'm thinking these pictures were taken in the mid 1970's , probably at Narrows Inlet . Narrows was an ex Catermolte & Trethewy Camp , the first time I was there in 1972 , there were some real treasure's up there . The picture of the barge load of scrap is probably one of many . Sorry I can't be more helpful .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Cattermolte Then that would explain the truck in the last picture on post 2228 Truck is a WHD Hayes unit 6-501 in the sort next to the Pacific
Cattermolte had some good equipment up in Nekite River , but Narrows had some real junk . In 1972 they had Euclids for logging truck except for one HD Hayes , the yarders & loaders were pretty much used up . Did Cattermolte get a new WHD Hayes #503 at Nekite River ?
I went through some stuff and came up with this 6-245 and 6-246 as we all know went to Malibu with trailer's 52-506 and 52-507 May 2/73 Both trucks were school bus yellow. Then 6-247 went to Nekite May23/73 with 52-508 and had the ram under the truck bunk for the low bed, truck also yellow. 6-248 and 52-509 went to Narrows, June 11/73, Also with ram under bunk for lowbed. 6-253 went to Pitt Lake new Aug 22/74. She was a self load pre-load truck same as 6-249 and 6-250 style. There is no record of a trailer being built or delivered with her and no color indicated. 6-254and 52-558 were delivered to Nekite Oct 2/74. Came with ram under truck bunk for lowbed. Also no color recorded. So this would explain the hydraulic tanks on the side's of the trucks. 254 had the Pacific style tank behind the battery box as 6-110 said. Al, I was wondering if for some reason the trailer number's did not get mixed up and were also used as truck numbers up there. That would sure explain the high number on those trucks like 6-501 on the WHD and the 502 number's on the P16. What do you think ???
That is the one!!! New May 15/69 Although it does not say where it went or a unit number it has to be the one. V12 GM Allison trans and Apache Yellow paint. Good thinking!
I think your on the money for the BCFP HDX Hayes . I ran a Madill 009 tower at Nekite its # was 50? in 1978 . I was there in 1975 , there was a WHD Hayes #503? , it was not there when I went back there in 1978 . I think Cattermolte's equipment #'s started with 50_ at Nekite R. , so some of the equipment at Narrows could have been moved there from Nekite R. . But I'm baffled by the Pacific P 16 #6-502 . Could it have been an ex Cattermolte truck wrecked , then rebuilt with a Pacific cab . Have you any record of a Cattermolte Hayes #502 ?
They had some WHD Hayes at Southgate at the head of Bute Inlet too . I think that is where the WHD Hayes #221 that ended up at Nekite R. in 1979 was from oridginaly .
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is the Booming Grounds for the "A' Frame Dump at the North Arm of the San Juan River where Browns Creek enters it .The Booming Grounds were Browns Cr. after it was Dredged . the Tug in picture is the Renfrew Prince . I remember this Tug leaving Beach Camp on a Flat Car with the Logging Locie , heading to Bear Cr. then parts unknown . The 2nd picture is the load on the #224 HDX Hayes being strapped with Bundling Straps before being dumped . The 3rd picture is the Bundled Load hitting the water . The Logging Truck Driver in the stripped coveralls is Kaye Peterson . Another Great Character we worked with in our Youth , Kaye was very smart & very witty . Kaye always filled his Time Card out in pencil when he parked his truck . One afternoon as Kaye entered the Time Office to drop off his time card , the Woods Foreman Bob Roberson started asking him about a certain piece of Road . Kaye told him to hold on for a second , took his pencil out erased his quitting time & hours , then told him to continue . Adding his time discussing road conditions to his daily time .
What engine would that be in the 224.Looks like a big Cummins ???
HDX will know what the BCFP trucks had in them for engine's when they left the factory . When I started working in the woods at Port Renfrew in Feb. 1966 the #203 , #212 , #222 , #223 , #224 , #225 had V8 Cummins in them . in 1969 - 1970 the #222 , #223 , #224 , #225 were repowered with V12 -Detroit Engines .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
And was just thinking how good that truck looked crossing the bridge in the first picture... Ouch
Jim Backlund , BCFP . Looks like after work hours the fishing' s good .
Grilled over charcoal, fried or baked?! Beautiful.
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Scary way to land for the driver....Kenworth ???
When things go wrong , it happens in a hurry . Horrible feeling when the side of the roads coming up to meet the window , especially on the drivers side . Looks like it could be an 848 Kenworth gravel truck .
I would imagine so...It was actually 4 years ago today that I flipped my truck numerous times and landed bad side down in a ditch..I don't have a memory of it tho..I am sure these drivers vividly recall the slow moving time and horrid thoughts as their truck slides off the road into the unknown...I hope to never know the feeling...
14 ft.wide plus bunks and a water tank are a drivers best friend when things go wrong . One doesn't get near as much gravel rash as your pick up . Glad you got through that one with your "Wits" in tack after a long recovery .
Yes ..I would imagine so...For me the rolling was the least of my worries.We hit head on at 60 MPH each when he crossed the center line and the little Durango tried to go under my Ford.It was suggested to me later that my headache rack probably stopped the roof coming in on me..Although the rescue guys cut it off to get me out..I was in bad shape and Heli jetted to the hospital. I cant imagine sliding off the road with a full load on..There are numerous picures here of crushed cabs and logs piercing the cabs...I would imagine that sometimes its just a slow motion slide off the road and truck and driver are just shaken up..
Had some time yesterday so finally was able to get 6-245 started. Moved the two trucks to a better position to photograph them. This will be the last chance to get pictures of the two sister trucks together. They've been together since they left the factory in '73 and now an uncertain future awaits old 6-245.
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP . McKenzie B.C.
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Whose truck is in post 2263 ? Is that the same truck that is over the bank as well?
I would say it's the same truck , I don't know who owns it or where it happened .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
So..the HDX is a anti run away device ?? (safety anchor)
The rubber tire carrier loaders are fairly heavy , with the snorkel hanging out over the front , it tends to lift the back drivers off the ground reducing it's braking power on steep hills . To speed move time on long moves , down steep hills , a loaded logging truck with a small load would be used to snub the loader down hills . And your correct it is much safer .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP . On a nice day , the views from a Float Plane can be awesume on the way to or from camp .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backland , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Great pictures of the beautiful countryside there!
Sure are great pictures D4Fun, but it's making me want to emigrate! And build a time machine? Even my wife has started humming the letters E-M-I-G-R-A-T-E to the tune of one of Tammy Wynette's famous hits, after I showed her the log trucks and vistas on here...Cheers all.
I went to the island almost three years ago. My advice is that if you are thinking of moving there don't go there for a visit. You probably won't leave, some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Some very beautiful country, and it was tough to ride off on my motorcycle. I am sure hoping to get back there this summer, for a visit and catch up with the many people (friends) that I met there.
John I got to be honest , these pictures are from the 1960's, 70's , 80's and 90's . We are reminiscing "The Good Old Day's" that didn't always seem that good at times . Now we realize how good we had it at the time and though's day's have past , gone forever . I'm glad your enjoying these pictures , but the Forest Industry on the West Coast of British Columbia has changed and not for the better of the Working Men in it .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP . I see Dave Thompson in the 1st picture long time BCFP Hook Tender / Woods Foreman .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
We joke here about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence, but when I first saw these threads on BCFP, BC logging, Rivers Inlet, Swan Neva, CZ, well all of them on here, I had to tie myself down to the seat here for a while, until I realised that the dates of the photos didn't quite make it to the period we're in. I do appreciate that photos don't tell the whole story, and I've been reading behind the scenes as it were, to get a bigger picture of it all. It looks complicated, not just a case of finding a market for heaps of small diameter wood that cover a lot of hillsides. Mind you, it seems forestry is in a strange place in many areas round the world. Round my way, it's particularly muddled up! These pictures showing companies that got the job done, took care of their equipment, - even painted it to match, in forestry, well it's good to see anyway. Cheers.
If I listen carefully I can hear someone(name with held) on the Island giggling as they look at a picture of a HDX draggin a P-16 down the road.... In reality I am sure it has happened more than once with all truck makes involved..
That's the first time I've seen an Off Highway Log Truck being towed to the shop with the front tires of the truck being towed in the Empty Trailer Rider Bars of the truck doing the towing . Just getting the Truck up in the air high enough to place in rider bars would be a chore in the woods , then getting the truck back down to the ground at the shop would be a chore . It would probably require a Log Loader to lift the truck up in the woods , what would they use at the shop , the trailer reload or a Cat load Stacker from the DLS . The next time I see Dave Thompson I'll inquire . Most Camps have Tow Bar to pull broken down trucks to shop , if the truck can't be fixed in the woods . It's really hard to steer them if the engine is not running .
Jim Backlund , BCFP . 1st picture is Crofton Pulp Mill . 2nd picture is Caycuse DLS .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP , Caycuse Div. View Spar Slackline Steel Tower , Northwest Log Loader & HDX Hayes Logging Truck .
Its quite the picture actually...Yes it would be difficult to get it loaded like that.The P-16 has very fresh wounds on its front bumper.I also notice how nose high it is and the back tires are still firmly planted..
Look close at right side , mirror is bent , fender has damage , step under running board by battery box has damage . Wonder if it was involve in a serious incident ?
You are correct....it appears she clipped something.The right front wheel looks out of whack.I wonder if it broke something on the axel and it clipped something.Broken axel would explain her not being towed home by a tow bar.
CJim Backlund , BCFP . ory I'll probably see Dave Thompson ( the fellow standing by the truck 1st picture ) next weekend . I'll get to the bottom of this and report back .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
So many good pictures, the increased picture quality makes it meaningfull to post pictures here again!
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
What kind of truck is that (not the ford)..I would rather ask than guess..I don't recognize the cab..
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Do you have any info on this ??????.What truck was it ??Is the driver OK??? What happened ????
These pictures were taken a number of years ago . I was hopping to see Dave Thompson (I seen him in one of the picture's) at a gathering of former BCFP employee's last Sunday . But he wasn't there , so I'll have to wait until the next time I run into him , to find out . The picture of the old truck carrying the Air Track , I'm wondering if that could be an old Mack . Maybe HDX will know for sure .
HDX..tells me this a HD Hayes and there was two of them..
Two posts of trucks hauling the trac drills around The first (post 2364) is a Kenworth that has been somewhat re-worked Has modified HD Hayes fenders and some other features not common to that truck Pretty straight truck never the less. The second truck (post 2383) is an HD Hayes. This truck was similar to the one the guys re-built at Caycuse shop. They did one very similar to this one. Got to check my pictures. I have pictures of another one I took pictures of too many years ago, Was still Timber West. Will look for it.
Have been studying pictures with great interest and still no closer to figuring out one truck, The HDX painted in the BCFP tri color's here. I thought at first it was 6-248 after it was re-built till I saw another picture of TWO HDX's. Post 2347 shows the 248 pulling the lowbed with a tower on her and P16 # 502 pushing There is the mystery HDX as a pull truck. Al is there any way that this is in fact 6-247??? Did she get transferred from Nekite to Narrows do you know. It has the hydraulic tank on the left hand side of the water tank just like the 6-248. It was the water tank guard added to the top on both sides of the saddle that threw me. Any ideas?
While we are investigating here ---there is a picture (post 2357) first picture. That is a WHD pulling that low bed but the water tank has been removed so I am thinking it has been reduced to GRADE MACHINES type lowbed. NO WATER What do you think ex Cattermole truck ??? Did you ever cross paths with her?
Also the truck in the jungle (post 2352) It is a P16 so it had to be 502 Wonder what happened there?
Thanks for keeping the dialogue and picture source correct . Some where's along the line I heard the WHD #221 left Nekite and went to Wakeman Sound to be used as a Lowbed , That could be the same truck in picture . I think your correct on the #6-247 , here are my best picture's of the #6-247 at Nekite Summer 1979 .
Yes Al That would be the 247, And the WHD picture would be like you say ,probably the 221. Wonder whatever became of her. We know 247 showed up on the forum all sanitized and hooked to a low bed for sale some time back. Some fell between the cracks when T/W changed all the numbers. Would be interesting to find out where 248 ended up. P16 unit # 502 was a Pacific. Not a semi rebuild job so maybe she was an inherited truck from somewhere else.
I believe Narrows Inlet Div. was sold to Interfor .
Have another look at truck in the jungle , check the trailer reach , its the old Hayes trailer with "I" Beam Reach . Check the Drivers side water tank , it looks like it has a cover over Fuel Filler . It looks like a Muffler in Water Tank Ladder . Might be an HDX ?
Steve , my apology's the picture of the truck in the jungle's goes with another Truck Wreck . These picture's (slide's) were very mixed up and I missed this picture to go with a couple others .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Yes Al This truck is a mid-60's HDX with V12 Muffler in the ladder on each side of the cab, "I" beam front bumper. It was the other one with only the rear most parts showing that I was wondering if in fact that didn't lead to it being hauled back to the shop on the back of 248 in the picture's you posted. As you said, Damage to steps and other cosmetic's and maybe sustained damage to the steering axle. Steering might have been the cause of her being in there to begin with. We have all seen steering fail no matter how diligent you were. Ball stud breaks etc.
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP .
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture an International Harvester Tandem hauling from a Northwest Shovel rigged up as a Drag Line , dredging Browns Cr. On the site that would become the Renfrew Div. Shop & Dry Land Log Sort . The 2nd picture is a Cat parked behind the Renfrew Shop . With what appears to be a 5 gallon over haul . 3rd picture is long time Grader Operator Rod Bird taking to Grade Foreman Al Schuitz .
Boulder Bill . BCFP , Renfrew Div. Buck Jones greasing the drive line while grease fittings are easy to get at on 125 Michigan Front End Loader . Fairy Lake Gravel Pit 1969 -70 . (Buck was not the Operator)
Jim Backlund , BCFP , Renfrew Div. 1st picture is the #690 View Spar set up on one of the first settings on the bottom of Braden M/L late Fall early Winter 1966 , Mt. Edinburgh in back ground . 2nd & 3rd pictures is the #799 Skagit Grapple Yarder . 4th picture is the Timber Toter the first rubber tired skidder at Renfrew Div.
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Boulder Bill cultivating a ditch with a Drott he operated in the late 1960's early 1970's . 2nd picture is Bill Elliott Sr. driving his faithful Dodge Gravel Truck .
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. #303 a Northwest 80-D Grade Shovel . Its my under standing that this is the last grade shovel to build logging road grade at Renfrew Div. full time , the operator would be Nick Kurluk . The #212 HDX Hayes lowbed truck was driven by Tony Weber .
I've had this WCB poster hanging in my basement since the early 80's. It was sent to me from them years ago. I just came across it again and now I'm sure this is 6-247. It was taken at the Hayes factory on West 2nd Ave. Most of you will remember all kinds of these posters, usually posted in the lunch room. Although WCB would not use any company names, everything was blanked out. I always knew that BCFP never had any preloads in the same configuration as the M&B ones. The giveaway is behind the guy's head, on the door, you can see the start of "British". The hydraulic tank, the catwalk around the water tank and the rear fenders--all pure BCFP. Looking at the pictures here 6-248 did not have this catwalk or it was removed. What do you think?
Another one.
Last one.
The #6-248 looks like it has a walk way in this picture .
Looks to me like the same truck.I also see the lower catwalk.Only difference I see is the 3rd step(2nd angle iron) on the rear fender is gone and it looks like a pc of expanded metal..Could be a hundred reasons for this.. Should look at pics of the other side.. I have never noticed the curved rear fenders before
Yes it sure does, At least it is now down to two truck's
One thing I find unusual is the green stripe on the hood skirt. Has anyone seen this before?
Just added graphics Ian. Was a photo touch up to cover up the Hayes script on the hood panel. Was a WCB thing to not advertise any manufacture. Most places these were posted didn't know what kind of truck it was or care for that matter. Only posted for a while then changed for a new poster depicting something else to do with safety
Good to know. BCFP added a truck number on that line,correct? Thanks HDX
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. I saved the best for last . Alex Stark on Cat #22 . If Alex wasn't the best Cat Skinner around , he ran an awful close 2nd . Most of the Cat Swamper's that broke in running Cat at Renfrew Div. spent time with Alex . Cool Calm and easy on equipment , made every move count , got a lot done with very little effort . Always had a way to solve a problem , got something hanging down from a high bank he couldn't reach , he'd get a log long enough to reach it , choke it with the Cat Line suck it up to the Arch & use it as a Jill Poke .
Mike Cross BCFP , Caycuse Camp , 6-234 HDX Hayes preloader at Caycuse Camp with a picture load .
BCFP Renfrew Div. Ernie Harrison Ernie paid his due's on the "Rigging" then went Pad Man on the Grade Dept. where he worked with the Old Master Grade Shovel Operator Nick Kerluk . He broke in on Northwest Grade and Pit Shovels around the time "Cats" were replacing Shovels building grade . He was asked to take a shot at running a Northwest Log Loader , which he did and excelled at . After a decade or so of loading in landing from Steel Towers . He took over a 7220 American Loader equipped with a Snorkel and the Cheery Picking of roads and new grade right of way . Finishing his working career on a Madill 075 Super Snorkel . 1st pictures are of a fly over of Port Renfrew starting with the Store & Hotel at Port Renfrew , then Beach Camp , followed by the Industrial Site , Office & Bunk House's ..
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Fallers working on a large Cedar tree , 2nd picture an old Steam Donkey . 3rd picture a large Spruce Butt that used to sit out behind the Rec. Hall at Harris Creek Camp . 4th picture is Driller Norm Byman running a Drill Cat .
Great pictures of the old camp.
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div. 2nd picture a "Pit Shovel" loading gravel into a "Rock Crusher" , 3rd picture Nick Kerluk at the levers on a Northwest Shovel , 4th picture Slim Skene hand pumping fuel from a Dodge Power Wagon into Nick Kerluke's Shovel .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures , is the Williams Creek Bridge . 3rd picture is a Black Bear helping itself to the garbage out side the Cook House before it could be taken to Garbage Dump .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures is a Drill Cat at work . 3rd & 4th pictures is a Northwest Grade Shovel and a Northwest Pit Shovel .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. Unloading and setting up an "Old Style Preload Trailer" , from a Grapple Operator's view point . Note the head lights on the #212 HDX Hayes . Also Note the "Lifting Hooks" hanging off side of Grapple and Cable loops in front of and behind bunk on trailer . These were required as some of the Loaders were still loading with Tongs . The lg Loader was most likely the #314 a Northwest Grade Shovel converted to a log loader , that didn't even have an elevated cab .
Interesting to see the addition to the top of the rad tank Al, Also with the trailer hanging in the air, The double boosters and cam shafts on each brake sure stand out. Really good picture's. Must have been pretty tight to get the second trailer in there.
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #314 Northwest Log Loader operator Ernie Harrison , #690 View Spar telescoping steel tower operator Steve Young , loaded old style Hayes preload trailer . 4th picture , the Chaser unhooking Chokers could be Bruce Wilson .
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div, This picture should have been 1st picture in last post .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture I remember this setting well Garbage Cr. 1970 , Ernie Harrison running the #79 Model 6 Northwest Log Loader , Sid "Skidder" Smith "Pulling Levers" on the #663 Skagit 120 ft telescoping steel tower , mounted on a trailer . Hook Tender "Long" John Mcisaac It was on this setting I got my first day running the #79 Log Loader .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd picture is the #71 a Northwest Log Loader not sure what model , but somewhere's around a 2 1/2 yard machine . Ernie "Heeled" a good sized log , then got off the loader to take a picture . While he was taking the picture , the loader tipped forward until the log touched the ground .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #71 Northwest Log Loader loading preload trailer . 2nd picture Bruce Wilson standing by Mainline Drum on #27-10 Madill Steel Tower . 3rd picture is #73 a Mod el 6 Northwest log loader climbing up loading ramp's on to Lowbed . Note square fuel tank on Goose Neck of Lowbed , we use to carry it around with us to top up small fuel tank on loader every day , "by hand" .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is the #505 American 7220 laying on its side at 10 1/2 mile on Harris Cr. M/L , #6-243 HDX Hayes hit the corner a little to fast , Lowbed leaned over , pulled the King Pin out of the 5th wheel #505 ended up on its side still tied to Lowbed . #309 Washington Trak Loader is there to straighten up the mess . 2nd & 3rd pictures of #505 at San Juan Bridge , Gantry on loader was to high when on lowbed to clear pillars on bridge , so it had to get off lowbed and walk across bridge . Jake Kruger was running the #505 at this time . The Linehorse in picture was the #209 .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. #505 American 7220 on the Lowbed .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #505 American 7220 log loader Ernie Harrison operator , #6-236 HDX Hayes log truck Reid Bryson driver . 2nd picture #505 American log loader Ernie Harrison operator , #225 HDX Hayes driver Don Orza
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes Frank McCorkell driver standing on load , #505 American log loader Ernie Harrison operator . Landing Bucker Imo Pietran standing on load 1st picture .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures are the #6-239 HDX Hayes ran out of water on the way down the hill into the Caycuse DLS on the Caycuse Hook Up Road . You can out run a run away truck , luckly there were no serious injuries . 3rd picture is at Caycuse shop .
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes at Renfrew Div. shop getting prepared for a rebuild .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 2nd & 3rd pictures #6-243 Truck driver Bill Dingee & Landing Bucker Imo Pietrern standing on pigeon roof .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. #505 American 7220 Ernie Harrison operator , #6-244 HDX John Elliot driver Jeff Abbot on load at his best .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div.
Damn Al you are a resourceful young man lol . Awesome job keeping BCFP alive!
Good to hear from you , you've been quiet for quite awhile . Hope all is well with your family . Not so young anymore , more retired , less pebble hauling these days . Still running into the odd old "BCFP Timber Beast" to borrow pictures off of . Have a few interesting ones coming up .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. #505 American 7220 , Ernie Harrison operator , #6-229 HDX Hayes preloader . Top of Spur 14 , 1981 .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture a view from the operators cab of #505 an American 7220 . 2nd picture is a view out of the cab of #71 a Northwest log loader . .
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-28 Madill Grapple Yarder being assembled at Port Renfrew Shop operator Stu Smith standing in picture .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-25 Madill Grapple Yarder pulled over on WFI Hook Up Road .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #16-15 American 7220 operator Ernie Harrison . 2nd picture Cat Skinner Al Longstreet . 3rd picture A W agner Stacker being stood up after blowing a tire and flopping over on Welding Truck by Renfrew Shop .
That sound of blowing a tire and landing on the welding truck must of woke up the lunch room.
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture , Reid Bryson standing in front of #6-260 at Renfrew Shop . 2nd picture , John Eillott standing Tom Worth sitting , sharing a joke .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures A & L Trucking . , 3rd picture Louie Holman standing in front of a Trav Rankin & Sons truck , 4th picture Howard Vaux standing by his truck .
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div. a couple of log trucks having a bad day
Ernie Harrison BCFP Renfrew Div. Getting a little closer to nature .
Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div. A Malloch & Moseley Madill 009 Track Mount Yarder having a bad day .
Hello Al. I need a little info. The last lowbed truck at Pacific Logging Mesachie Division was blue and white. What make was it. Bp
The last truck that Pacific Logging purchased for lowbed use at Mesachie Lake was a P 16 . Must have had engine problems , sometime after Timberwest took over it got parked . The radiator out of it ended up on the #40-90 .
Thanks Al.
Does anyone have a photo of the old Pacific logging logo from that era?
Pat Blatchford BCFP Nekite Div. A birds eye view from a Float Plane of he Nekite River Camp .
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-284 a 1986 P510S Pacific with an off highway load heading for Honeymoon Bay DLS .
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River 1st two pictures Nekite R. office , 3rd picture , looking down Main St Nekite R. from office passed Bunk Houses , Cook House , Rec Hall & Shop .
camptramp. How are you. Hauling any pebbles? Keeping well. Bp?
We are doing find Bp , more retired than unretired this year and I'm getting to like it . Filled in on the Pebble hauler's a few day's and spent a few day's on a "Bin Truck" this year . Was in my Shop the other day watching the Rain coming down , with the wood stove going , cleaning up some car parts . Thinking about the times I was out at a Logging Side on a day like today trying to dry the brakes out on a log loader enough to lift the trailer off a logging truck , then I put another log on the fire . Life's great isn't it . LOL ct
Reading your comment, I never spent any time in a cab on any landing, I was either chasing, or second loading, but throwing another log on the fire made me think of all the “scientifically designed” burn barrels we had in the winter. My favorite was to take a torch to a barrel and just slot the barrel the width of the torch in spirals around the barrel about 4 sets of spirals, each cut no more than about 6” in length. Very scientific. We could get just about anything to burn and with the spiral vents, the fire would also spiral up about 3’ above the top of the barrel. It looked pretty cool, don’t know if it put out any more heat, but it appeared and sounded like it did. (Think rocket engine noise.) We always left the bottom2 inches solid so when we dumped in a bit of “Weyerhaeuser pitch” (diesel) in the morning to start the fire it would not leak out. I also remember the fine art of cooking with a fire barrel. I was just a sandwich warmer, there were others who were culinary maestros at lunch. Now when I go out to the shop to play I just dial up the thermostat to about 60 and work on whatever project I have in a tee shirt, I threw the raingear away about three years ago just to keep me from thinking about going outside in the rain…
It do'es get one thinking about "The Good Old Days" . Working on the "The Rigging" with a West Coast Mist coming down Leather Boots , soaking wet feet , Rain Clothes that didn't really keep out the rain after about a week (they did stop the wind , so you stay'ed warm) . Remember when we had to buy our own gloves ? We got a week out of them , even though they were in tater's by Friday . Pulling the Strawline out to the Backend on a Snowy wet day , couldn't hardly feel your hands they were so wet & cold . If you looked back to see how much more "Hay Wire " to pull , someone would Holler " eye's down and keep pulling" . It was nice to get on the landing . Get a good fire going . Take a Forked stick weave a piece of Molly wire around the end to place a Sandwich on to toast or put a can of beans on the exhaust manifold at 11:00 o clock to be warm for lunch .
Sounds great for sure. Today was start of “retired” again. Did 5 weeks of the cans from Bings Creek. Hope to be man of leisure until January. Filling a spot then. Redid my medical today k passed another one
Reminds me of when I was hauling coal or reject to the dump, we dumped reject at the dump and there would be kid as dump man he was to make sure we dumped over the bank but not to go over. He always stayed beside the burn barrel. about 4:00 in the morning he had his back to the fire about 3 ft from Barrel I through my empty window cleaner can into the barrel about 30 seconds latter it blew up that kid never had his back to me ever again at the dump.
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River . 1st Picture Stairs from office level up to Family Quarters level . 2nd & 3rd pictures view over looking Bunk houses from Family Quarters .
Pat Blatchforg , BCFP , Nekite River Div. #6-254 HDX Hayes off road .
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. #6-254 HDX Hayes off the road .
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. #6-254 HDX Hayes off the road .
BCFP got two of these boats made around 1983.Boat names were Narrows Mist 1 and Narrows Mist 2. BCFP was slowly closing down the Narrows Inlet camp which was a 10&4 camp . The reason for closing camp was cost. It cost about 30$a day per man to run the camp . The boat cost to run in and out everyday was around 5$ a day per man . The Narrows Mist 1 was the smaller and little faster boat at 40 feet long by 12feet wide. Narrows Mist 2 was 40long by 15 feet wide . Both boats ran 3 Volvo Penta 200s inboard/outboard motors around 600hp combined per boat. They had 3 legs in the water and 6 counter rotating propellers. They would cruise around 30 to 35 plus mph with 30 to 36 men aboard . It was about a 40 min ride each way . Eventually the 10and4 shift was switched to a 5 and 2 shift. Around the late 90s Narrows Inlet was completely closed .
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. Float Plane taking off From NekiteRiver plane float .
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div, 1st picture is Pat Blatchford with Nekite River iestuaryin back ground . 2nd 3rd pictures shore line of Smiths Inlet . 4th picture is a view of Nekite River Camp from a Float Plane approaching to land .
I use to love flying in and out of camp on the nice days which were few and far between . On the bad days which their were many of . Raining and blowing and over loaded not so much fun . The Dehavilland Beaver float planes are one of the main planes to ship supplies and men in and out of remote camps. Glad my plane ride days are over . I hope lol
A cool looking location until I saw the entire camp was located on the alluvium and colluvium of a large debri channel. A place like like could get destroyed in minutes during a storm.
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. , Looking out Smith Inlet from Float Plane Float , at area used to load logs on to Log Barge .
Pat Blatchford BCFP , Not sure which Inlet or Channel this is in 2nd , 3rd & 4th pictures , but I see Vancouver Island off in the distance across Queen Charlotte Sound
Pat Blatchford BCFP Nekite River Div. , Slide across Main Line
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. August 1979 Late on a Saturday Afternoon a Lorain Hydraulic Log Loader had loaded its last Logging Truck of the day . The Loader was scheduled to be Lowbeded to Camp to be put on a Barge to be moved to Wakeman Sound Div. . #6-247 HDX Hayes was on its way down the Nekite M/L with Log Loader on board . The #16-4 an American 7220 Grapple Yarder was Rigged up on a short Spur on the low side of the Main line , on a hill about 6 mile , with Guyline across Mainline plenty high enough to clear a loaded Logging Truck . As the #6-247 traveled down the hill with Lorain Main Boom straight up in air from lowbed goose neck . The loader boom caught #16-4 Guyline . The picture tell the rest of story . Loader Operator Dave Anderson was heading for Camp behind Lowbed and was the only pickup behind Lowbed . After Supper I walked a D8 Cat from Camp to the disaster scene and Dave Anderson went out to the back end to bring the Rubber Tire mounted American Loader to the disaster scene. The mess was straightened up on Sunday .
I remember hearing about this years ago. Was Gerry Eskola (? spelling) there by chance? He was our camp super for Olympic Forrest Products in the QCI. before Roy Park.
Oh yes , Gerry was General Foreman at the time . I've got to hand it to him , he had the mess straightened up on Sunday and we were hauling logs passed a messy looking Grapple Yarder in need of repairs on Monday . I don't even want to think of what Master Mechanic Dennis Young had to say about the Lorain when it got to Wakeman Sound Div.
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. More pictures of the #6-247 disaster .
looking at the pictures what year did they start to put grousers on the yarder tracks? wouldn't want to be walking the machine up some of the roads i have seen
Almost all the old American had flat track pads. Every once in awhile we would weld ice picks on them . The newer ones with the Chapman undercarriage had regular track pads. And yes they would slide down, along and across the road in winter
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite Div. #6-247 Disaster
Nasty. Looks like the loader is only still on the lowbed by the carnage of it's cab hooked up in the yarder, that last picture looks like one track is right off the bed. I guess you guys have seen worse with all the tumbles of machines down hills, but sure looks a mess.
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River Div. #6-247 , #16-4 , #16-18 Disaster
Pat Blatchford , BCFP Nekite River , #6-247 , 16-4 #16-18 Disaster .
Pat Blatchford BCFP Nekite River , #6-247 , #16-4 , #16-18 Disaster
After that last picture the loader looks a lot happier, sitting back on the low bed.
I wonder if that Lorain ended up in Narrows Inlet . We had one that never wanted to stay on the lowbed . Eventually it burnt it self up . After it burnt . They went to put it on lowbed. Another machine lifted boom off the ground to tow it on to lowbed and the Lorain buggered off down the hill and over the bank . Just another day in the woods!
Great pictures as usual, camptramp!
Pat Blatchford , BCFP , Nekite River Div . st picture is Nekite River Estuary . 4th picture is a Glacier visible from Nekite R. Camp .
camptramp,where are you. Bp
Hey Bp I'm laying low these days , I've got another 65 Chevelle on the "Go" , got 12 Jig Saw Puzzles and 6 books for Christmas to read . On days that the West Coast Mist isn't falling out of the sky I've been out doors cleaning up the Ornamental Trees pulled over and Trees that had their tops broken off in the Heavy Wet Snow we had before Christmas .
Week camptramp. That is good th hear. Need to hear from all the good guys once in awhile. Too many leaving us too soon. Best wishes. Bp
Camp, Shoot us some photos of the 65! Here was my last project.
Crap, sorry about the triple post.
Hallback what are the 1/4 mile times low to mid 10's. I see good rubber tucked in the rears and a cage inside.
Best with the twin turbo 540 was 6.74 and with the nitroused 632 high 6.90s
Now you are into the fun good times, Great build on the car. Thanks for the reply.
Thanks Hank! I would post other builds but I should refrain from muddling the thread.
You should start a new thread here,call it 'After Work" Im sure most of us are keen on old cars,i could add to it for sure.
Is that Wayne Palissers red Hayes truck?
That beTodd then Wayne Palliser’s HDX
I don't think anyone would mind. Do you pics of the engines?
They made a thread in the Forestry Operations section for hobbies and toys Welder Dave HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks, I'll check it out.
That’s a bummer. What a cool building.
Wow totally for about Teakern Arm until reading this. Sweet spot. Sailed up there a few times. I took some pictures of a small winch set above the falls after the lake. Probably the same that you saw up there. Can’t remember what I did with the pictures though. It’s so beautiful up there.
I've got some pics if you'd like me to post. The Cassel lake falls are pretty cool as well.
I live on San Juan island and I see Seaspans barges at least once a month coming and going up Georgia strait. Occasionally a smaller barge with a crawler crane or shovel (log loader for the Canadians eh). You probably could see them passing from Sidney. I am really enjoying the maritime side of logging your sharing. I grew up sailing. Sailed around Vancouver island the Pacific Grace a few times. Sure do miss it up there.
QUOTE="Len Burton, post: 473324, member: 33478"]Hey Steve I posted a few pics of the old logging equipment that I have found up the coast at Teakern Arm. I know where the old skidder was left at Bear Creek. I doubt the old home tree is still standing after all these years, I've heard it is down. Never gave any thought to going back in there the old road must be long gone.[/QUOTE] Finally found the pictures of what I found up Teakern Arm. This unit is between the lake and the falls. Is this the same unit you found up there? Could this be a BCFP unit? Or did they not work the mainland?
Here are a few extra of Teakern Arm. Looks like they forgot some logs
Last batch of Teakern Arm pics. Beautiful spot. Last pictures is us pulling up anchor. Pacific Grace is the closer on and Pacific Swift heading out.
Did you ever take a close look under the Cassel Lake falls ???
Oh ya. Nice view. A good way to wake up in the morning with cold fresh waterfall shower. Man that was cold water coming out there. Nice thing the salt water is warm in that area.
Hey I know this marina. That’s great! I never even noticed the name of this boat and I see it all the time. Hope your visit here was a pleasant one.
In the third picture is this an imported truck to the Vancouver island or is this picture taken in port angles?
Bob MacMillen was well educated with a Degree in Forestry , he worked his way up the Management ladder and became a Division Manager . Just a guess , but I would think these pictures were taken on a tour of another logging operation . I have never seen a piece of equipment in a BCFP operation similar to the one in picture
Hi, I came across this forum through the post by 6-110 mentioning Jim Stanton. I am not in the field, but all these photos are amazing! My husband and I live in the countryside in the northern Italy and the only "heavy equipment" we use is an Efco chainsaw. (the one of my avatar) However, actually I am here writing for something else. Making the long story short...Many years ago I read the book "Grizzlies in their backyard" which narrates the life of Jim Stanton and his wife Laurette at the Knight Inlet, British Columbia. It was a love at first sight. This year I made a step forward. I created a Facebook page and put up a website dedicated to this great couple. You can find them here: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JimLauretteStanton/ Website: http://jimlaurettestanton.altervista.org I understand that this is not the right place to talk about this, but you seem to know the place so, may I ask to anyone who has some information on their house or on Jim and Laurette to contact me in private? I really appreciate it. I would like to assure you that my intentions are serious. Thanks everyone in advance.
Are you referring to their original house or their second house in Knights Inlet?
On both would be amazing Like I said, I' m looking for any kind of information on Jim And Laurette's living in that area, so any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have pictures of my kids under Cassel Lake falls as well. One thing to remember about Teakerne Arm is that is was a major MacMillan Blodel Booming ground. As a result there is a a lot of wire rope on the bottom. Be Careful where you anchor as you might not get it back. Over by the falls was mostly float homes etc with most of the booming done over on the south side. But we always had to take the risk cause the kids wanted to swim in the lake if we were in the area.
This is my new truck... Just came off the lowbed from winter Harbour. Feb 22/18
Brown primer brushed all over her to try and get rid of the Bikini Coral, Old girl is in tough shape
Looks like the #6-262
This is her today ,Crossing the big NitNat bridge for the first time since she left Caycuse. Dont remember what year that was
The Caycuse Bridge
Stopped for one last picture at the bottom of WH6
Jack's old 6-261 sitting in front of the Cameron Shop..she came down same time as 262 but broke down just after she got off the lowbed and has not been fixed yet. Plans are in place now to have her taken care of and then she will go back on the line hauling again. Both these trucks are now owned by Island Forest.
Are you restoring her for show or for your new hauler? These trucks never cease to amaze me. Are you hauling for island forest now?
These two trucks were bought by BCFP originally and used at their Caycuse Division for a number of years before BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge, Then it became Timberwaste. All the big trucks were sold off except a few that were kept as Fire tankers. Line horses and LowBed trucks. These two P16's were bought by WD Moore up in Winter Harbour. They were sold off in Dec of 2017 when WD Moore shut down their operation after a hundred years... Island Forest Company, bought them along with a third P16 (Ex Crown Z) truck that was hooked up to a lowbed trailer. That truck is undergoing a semi-rebuild right now down at Messachie Lake. It has the big SPR 570 Rockwell rear ends. Tried to get the new owners to buy an HDX but they want to keep all the same model trucks. Same engines etc IFC also bought three other P16's, They came from the Island Pacific herd (H145 and H153 and H119) Now H02, H03 and H04 in that order. The Crown Z lowbed truck does not have a unit number yet as with the other ex BCFP truck (6-261)
You totally amaze me HDX, how you have kept track of these trucks from one owner to another. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Steve!
Sure glad to hear they are getting another lease on life. Are you getting a rash driving Pacific’s Steve?
What happened to H-17? Sure is a beautiful truck!
A little barge traffic this morning. Full barge heading north. It has a stern ramp and what looks like a yellow 3800 madill sitting on the back. The tug has turquoise smoke stack and White House anybody recognize this color scheme?
H17 is in Steve's stable retired, but being looked after very well. Only fitting that he would have his truck after driving it 40 plus years.
Sweet! So Steve is driving the p-16 he posted? What outfit? Just curious. I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s post and stories especially from the guys doing it. Envious! It’s a tease my daily view from work is their stomping grounds on Vancouver island Some days I wish I grew over there in Canada such a beautiful region bc is. Well I am still lucky for being raised and raising a family on an island in the PNW
Morning commute to work and got a little different perspective. I can’t get over how big these barges are!
We are all for Washington and Oregon joining us.
San Juan Island was almost declared British over a hundred years ago over a dispute between American army camp and British army camp over an American pig being shot by the Brit’s for eating their garden. A German chancellor had to mediate the territorial dispute. But if that was the case I might not even be here.
You can add Weyerhaeuser to the top of that list ASAP
George Gibberson was Master Mechanic there when I started my apprentiship then Dick Steves took over when George went to Caycuse. Great memories from those early days.
Old HDX I found this Summer. I posted a picture of her at Hayes thread but I think pictures belongs to the BCFP site. Unit #210. So 207, 208, 209 and 210 are still around. Awesome - these trucks are from 1954-55.
Yes they are Hayesno1 Now all we have to do is re-unite the 210 with her sisters and get her running
Few pictures of preload trailers and dollies at the FC yard at the bottom of Mount Washington about 1996. I took these with a modelling project in mind. Still thinking!!! preload1 by dougsscaletruckreplicas , on Flickr Preload2 by dougsscaletruckreplicas , on Flickr Preload3 by dougsscaletruckreplicas , on Flickr Preload4 by dougsscaletruckreplicas , on Flickr Dolly1 by dougsscaletruckreplicas , on Flickr
206 sitting in the landing
The #206 HDX Hayes with #73 Log Loader behind it . The #73 was a Model 6 Northwest Grade Shovel converted to a Log Loader . This picture was taken around 1956 before operators cab was elevated and was still using "Tongs" to pick up logs later it would be set up to load logs with "Grapples" . I don't know when that Machine was built as a grade shovel , but it was still loading logs in 1980 .
Hiked into the Bear Creek Skidder with a couple of friends on Sunday .
More from Sunday
Nice that you and your friends went for a hike.. Thanks
Camptramp, Do you have any history on the skidder?
Looks like you found some very interesting equipment. Amazing what is left out there in the timber, what a good find!
I wasn't around when the abandoned Diesel Skidder we hiked into first arrived in the Port Renfrew area . Its my understanding it was used in the Harris Creek area to begin with . When the Steam Skidder was scrapped in the early 1950's at the Bear Creek Camp . The Diesel Skidder was moved to the Bear Creek area to replace it . Sid "Skidder" Smith ran the Steam Skidder and took over the Diesel Skidder . Sid use to spend every second Saturday doing Running repairs & Maintenance on the Skidder , quite often he took his son Stuart with him . On one occasion I was invited to go along . The Skidder was rigged up on the "Three Rivers M/L" with a "Loading Pot" and "Heal Boom" for loading out the logs yarded by the Skidder . Stu & I spent most of the day fishing for Trout . After Sid finished his repairs , he fired up the Skidder and ran the "Bicycle Carriage" out the Skyline part ways to the "Backend" and brought it back to the Landing . In 1964 or 1965 when the Skidder finished the setting it was yarding , the "Blocks Rigging and Lines{cables}" were stripped off the Spar Tree and Yarder , the two Cummins Engines were also removed . The Skidder was left sitting on the Landing where it sat and the "Home Spar Tree" left standing . And there it remains the Yarder's Sled rotting away moss & ferns growing on it and the Home Spar Tree is rotten and collapsed . The road into it deactivated , culverts and bridges taken out , brush grown up in some areas and blow down and trees with roots have slid down off high side blocking road . A tough hike every couple of years but we made it .
Something has gone wrong during loading 206. Don't know the story on this. What I do know it is never good when the RCMP are on site.
The forest Industry is one that has many things and activity's going on around workers that can and do go wrong . A common saying on the West Coast of British Columbia was to "Stay out of the Bight" meaning stay out of area's considered Dangerous . Myself and many of my generation were fortunate to have worked in the Industry at a time when more emphasize was put on good production by a safe means , rather than a reckless "Hi Ball" attitude and top production with little concern for workers welfare . There are to many unwritten rules to write here and there are to many fellow "Loggers" I worked with , that from their pasted experience steered myself and other "Greenhorns" in a safe direction . You know who you are if you are reading this "post" thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge of safe practice's with us . The pictures shown are from Harris Creek Camp in BCFP Renfrew Div. . I remember a day in the mid 1950's when someone came to the Port Renfrew Elementary School and took home to Harris Creek Camp a fellow student in grade 2 or 3? whom we never seen again . At supper my parents spoke of a "Fatality" at work that day . A worker on a Loading side , loading with "Tongs" had been struck my a log that sipped off the partly loaded logging truck .
I probably asked before but I'm not shy so I'll ask again. What year did BCFP switch from yellow colours to the orange and green paint scheme?
BCFP started trying different colour scheme's around 1972-74 . The #6-253 and #6-254 were HDX Hayes built in 1974 or 1975 were both painted orange , white and green at factory .
Thanks Al. Had a buddy ask but couldn't remember. I knew you would know .
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. ist picture #317 Washington TL6 operator Brian Schultz loading out from a View Spar Telescoping Steel Tower HDX Hayes Log truck #6-252 . 2nd picture HDX Hayes #6-251 Alvin Eckert , Woods Foreman Jack Messer 3rd picture HDX Hayes Jack Messer , Roy Schultz , Alvin Eckert .
Is this your second time in Al. Looks like the old home tree finally gave way. Great pictures.
Yes Len this is from our second hike into the old skidder , the Home tree had collapsed long before our first hike into it . The guylines and tree plates are high off the ground , hung up amongst the new growth trees . The rotten sections of the wood have broken down into smaller chunks . When it comes time to harvest the new growth trees , it will be quite a challenge to deal with the guylines and rigging that remains in that area .
Les Way Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Harris Creek Camp I recall an incident happening in the late 1950's I believe it was a Fall day , at the Port Renfrew Elementary School . A young girl ( don't recall her name) was take out of our class during the day . Later that day at Supper my father talked of an event that had happened at work that day . A log had slipped off a partly loaded logging truck , resulting in striking a worker on the ground being a fatality . The log truck is an HDX # 206 the loader is a Model 6 Northwest grade shovel converted to a log loader #73 loading with tongs , I don't believe it had an elevated cab at that time . It was loading the truck "over the cab" from a landing at a wooden spar tree .
Thanks for the new picks. I remember setting beads on #3 slackline that was yarding up hill above the skidder on Garbage Creek in 1964 or 65. It was interesting trying to figure out who was blowing whistles in the fog everything echoed. They shut down the Skidder in late 1965 literally just walked away from it leaving everything. Rick B and I went in and got all the SW gauges.
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. May 1987
Dave Whiskin BCFP Caycuse Div. April 1982 1st picture looking East from Branch J1F 2nd , 3rd & 4th pictures #16-21 American Log Loader loading HDX Hayes #6-229 .( I believe the #16-21 was bought new for its Nekite River Div . in 1976-77) then delivered to Caycuse Div. after Nekite Div. was shut down .
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. May 1987 The yarder is the #27-23 a Madill 009 tower on a lowbed carrier . The operator is Jim Weir . I remember Jim moving his family into "Beach Camp" BCFP's family quarters at Port Renfrew in the early 1960's . Jim was a well seasoned "Logger" having worked the Up Coast Camps by the time he hired on at the "Home Guard Camp" at Port Renfrew , he did what ever jobs around camp until he had enough Seniority and the opportunity to take a job posting as a Yarding Engineer . As a Junior Operator he got to run the Yarders that were the next to be replaced The old Burger Tower , then the View Spar . It was nice to see him get the #27-23 Madill 009 "Brand New" to operate until he retired .
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture #27-23 Madill 009 .
I remember Jim very well. He ran a lot of the machines and settings I worked on. Great pictures. I have one picture of him running the Berger Tower. Rick B was Chasing I was Second Loading long, long time ago.
Post it!
OK.
Jim Weir running the yarder 1965. I went back last fall 55 years later and it looks like the second growth has been logged.
Hi Len I think that picture take Febuary 1966 , I believe that was taken on Lens 6500 next to the"Slide Area" . The yarder is the #665 a brand new 110ft. Skagit . BCFP wanted an IJ-80 Inter-Lock winch on it , but Skagit didn't recommend it and wouldn't install it on that tower . So BCFP sent an old Highlead Winch to Skagit and had it mounted on the #665 Tower (no cab , just a Wing over the operator ) . BCFP bought the IJ-80 winch separate , Jim Weir ran the #665 until the IJ-80 winch arrived , then the #665 was taken into the shop to have new winch installed . That was when Jim W. was put on the #717 Burger Tower , when the #665 came out of the shop Bill Shoeburge was the operator . I remember that setting , Febuary 4,1966 My first real job , I hired on Punking Whistles , the side was a new program to teach new guys the basics and safety of the jobs they were starting , it was called "The Training Side" Head Rigger Fred McMurry was over seeing it . Bruce Wilson was the Hook Tender , Jim Weir Yarding Engineer , Pete Malahoff Loading Engineer on #73 (Model 6 Northwest) Ken Kruger Rigging Slinger , Len Burten Second Loader , Rick B. Chaser , Strict Austin and Stan ? were Setting Chokers .
That setting was relogged in about May 2006 , I hauled the new growth logs off it with a 2001 Western Star Tridrive Tridrum Highway Logging Truck .
Hi Al, do you recall if the IJ80 winch did ok on the skagit after their refusal to fit originally? Vivid recollection of a February 54 years before this one, cheers. Warm regards as always, John
Hi Al,I took all these pictures in the summer of 66 it's definitely summertime .If it was February there'd be a trace of snow up on the hills in the back ground. I went back in my notes ( I have always journaled) the pictures were taken on the Lens Creek Main just above Pixie Lake. Jim Weir ran the Berger Tower in this picture if it isn't Jim Weir then it's Sid Smith one or the other. Postie was the hooker and I think John Makiasac was pullin rigging. Pete Malahoff was the loader I was second loader. Rick B was Chasing. The school side was on the Burma Rd a mile or so from the creek bottom .Fred McMurry ran the show. Jimmy Weir ran the yarder, Pete Malahoff ran the loader, Ken Kreuger probably pulled riggin. I was Second Loading, Rick B was chasing. Don Austin I know as well as Stan but can't remember Stans last name everyone called him manly Stanley.
What a memory,that's amazing!!!1
manly Stanley = Stan Wood ?
I remember Stan Woods . Reg Beale Rigging Slinger , Stan Woods & Chuck Marrow setting Chokers on an ugly setting on top of Garbage Creek ( over looking the abandon Bear Creek Skidder ) Summer of 1970 on High Lead setting #762 Skagit 120 ft. telescoping Tower . Reg went on to be a Woods Foreman died of heart problems several years ago . Chuck was playing with drugs , got really messed up , Stan was a hard worker and very smart , bought a Gravel Truck and did very well in Nanaimo area . I ran into him a couple of years ago at a car parts swap meet at Parksville . He seemed to be in good health and enjoying life .
Stan and I get together for lunch every so often. When I saw manley Stanley I thought maybe that was him, but I must have been a few years to early.
Hi Al, I just remembered Stans last name, it was Elliott . Don Austin went by the nick name of "Stang" . Don got the bright idea of taking a tramp steamer one way to Australia because the rumor was there was big money to be made. He was somewhat stuck for about 5 years to make enough money to get back to Canada the wages were next to nothing. That's the story he told me. Bruce Christianson went by the name of "Super goose ". Don Brown was "Brown Bash". Brian Charlton went by the name of "Stump" Lets see who can recognise this guy.
Crazy Carl comes to mind .
Your absolutely correct Len . Mt Demers in the background skyline and the slope of the hillside look much like the landing next to the "Slide Area" landing . I can recall Punking Whistles from the top square lead down across the road part way down the lower Quarter , when Bob Robertson came down the hill to tell me because of the deep snow up on Dent Creek they couldn't start logging a Slackline setting of Fall & Bucked Timber , so he had to lay me off for a couple of weeks . When I was hired back in about three weeks , the yarder had been moved down to the next setting . I don't recall Strict Austin or Stan ? being there , maybe they were on another side or weren't up to Fred Mc. standards . I wasn't there long before I was moved to the Burger Tower on Hemingsten Cr. 4000 . That was another eye opener . The Burger's Tower was stood up but the Lowbed Carrier with the Winch was gone . The Tower had been stood up then the Carrier had been taken to the shop for some repairs (I think Rollie Kennedy was the operator at the time ) and a Highlead yarder on a wooden sled (Buster Bradshaw was the operator ) was used to yard the setting . Sometime in late Spring or early Summer of 1966 the #665 was taken into the shop and had the IJ-80 Winch put on it . While it was in the shop Fred McMurry raised the Division's last "Wooden Tree" on the Lens Cr. flats above the Lens Cr Junction , I can't remember the Yarder's # but it was refferred to as "Yellow Canary " . Rollie Kennedy went driving the Line Horse around this time and when the Burger Tower came out of the shop Buster Bradshaw ran it until the #665 went in the shop and Jim Weir took over the Burger Tower . When the #665 came out of the shop with the IJ-80 winch Bill Shoeburge was the operator .
Hi John The IJ-80 Winch worked out very well . Fred McMurry was a very "production minded " seasoned logger and always had a trick or short cut in his back pocket , wether it was setting a choker or splicing a cable he could show you a trick . As the Trainer on the Training Side he would work with the various workers as they moved from Setting Chokers to Chasing or Rigging Slinger in the Division , Fred would give one some good Safety Practices and then some pointers on how to do the job in the most productive way . Bill Shoeburge was one of the best "Donkey Punchers" I have worked with . Both Fred & Bill were from the "Hiball era" , as a result the Training side was also the Blue Ribbon side most of the time !
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. st & 2nd pictures Dave Whiskin driving the #6-228 with a nice load of Fir parked in downtown Caycuse Camp . 3rd picture #6-250 on lowbed moving Cypress 72-80 Grapple Yarder .
Dave Whiskin Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st & 2nd pictures Dave Whiskin at Caycuse Dryland Sort #6-249 HDX Hayes preloader .
The Stan Len and I were talking about was a couple of years before Stan Woods arrived in Renfrew Div. , I think he had been a taxi driver in Victoria . Stan Woods was quick with wit . Stan had been around the Div. for quite awhile and had worked on some pretty ugly settings and was still setting chokers . Hillcrest Lumber had shut down and I think there was some preferential hiring going on in our area to get some of their crew back to work . One fellow was hired for a Rigging Slinger's position and ended up with Stan Setting Chokers for him . We had a fellow working in Camp Guy Scott who was nick named "Joe Logger" . Anyway we were on our way to camp one afternoon on a "Pay Day" Stan turns to this fellow and say's to him " When you ask for your cheque make sure you ask for 'Joe Hillcrest" , we aready have a "Joe Logger" .
He is the one and only. I used to run with him.
Some fellows we worked with I vaguely remember , some I remember well , then there are characters that you never forget . Carl was one , if there was a new guy on the crew he was always pulling off some comical deed . Like sitting around a lunch fire unwrapping a sandwich , tossing the sandwich in the fire then eating the wax paper wrapper , or taking his thermos cup when know one was looking and puting a little power saw gas in . He would take a little sip and spite it on the fire and complain about the awful coffee . I never hung out with him in town , but I bet it would have been an adventure .
Lol, gonna have to remember that fire trick, good one!
I remember when we had the Christmas dinner in the cookhouse and they put out free cigarettes Carl would take one and eat. He never ceased to amaze me with the things he'd come up with. Carls brother in law worked in Renfrew before Carl his name was Wilf Tucker and just about as haywire as Carl I hung out with him as well. Do you remember Gary Muir?
What did Wilf Tucker do and was he a Langford guy . I remember Gary Muir , he was on the Grade , in line for a Cat Skinner job . I seem to recall he went to work in Victoria , became a plumber? Around 1966 -67 there was quite a "turn over" in crew . Some fellows that had been there for 2-4 years left the woods for town jobs .
Wilf Tucker was married to crazy Carls sister and set chokers in the early 60s. His hobbies were drag racing at the original Cobble hill. He had an injected flathead dragster that we spent more time pushing down the quarter mile as opposed to racing it He never lived in Langford .He got Carl and Gary the job setting chokers on the skidder in Bear Creek ,Gary got me in. Gary was cat Skinner for Vern Gate. Carl went second loadingthen I went second loading. Gary did his apprenticeship and became a certified plumber in the 70s. eventually owning his own very successful business. He's now retired and lives in Courtney. Gary and I were good friends through school as was Donny Brown and Carl. We all hung out together. Did you live in camp when the big turn over happened in 66/67?
My father went to work at the Old Harris Creek Camp in August 1954 , I grew up in Beach Camp , after I started working I continued to live at home . I started working there in Feb. 1966 I took a wander around the QCI and North end of Vancouver Island summer of 1968 , returned to Renfrew Sept 1968 . If I had stayed at Renfrew from Feb 1966 (as I was the youngest member of the crew) I could have beem Number 1 on the seniority list when I retired . There were a number of fellows left not long after I hired on in 1966 Vern Gates , Vern Walleen , a gay they called "Rat" , Danny Mclain , Martin Messer ,Ted Court , a couple I can't remember their names . It was also that year they combined the Chaser's & Second Loaders jobs and called them Chaser/Second Loader or Landing man I think the pay rate went up 10-15 cents per hour for Chase / Second Loader and 20-25 cents per hour for Landing Man . The difference was if you worked with a Landing Bucker you got the low rate .
I remember Vern Waleen, Danny Mclain and Rat and I can't remember what his name was either. There was Don Petrie, LLoyd Cerico, Dutchie Caspers,Howard Hyde, Rolly Kenedy, Fred Call and a lot I just can't remember. I just found a few pictures of Gary Muir and I when I first started in Renfrew, dam we were young.
Came across this today
That is cool !!!!
I just remembered the Stan I remember. He was Stan Elliott and he was a taxi driver before coming to Renfrew.
You got it ! I wonder what became of him ?
I have no idea where he ended up.
The other fellow setting chokers with Stan Elliot was Strict Austin , Ken Kruger was "Pulling Rigging"
Don Austin went by the name of "Stang", Brian Charlton punked whistles he was quite short and went by the name of "Stump". There were a few others but I just can't remember all their names. Don Austin and someone else whose name escapes me decided to go logging in Austrailia. They went by tramp steamer and had enough money to get there and not enough to get back. I later heard it took them a few years to get back. Stump got on with CNAV on the LAYMORE as an oiler. There was a Jim Conway that someone hung the name of "Jungle Jim". He passed away a few years ago.
Great pictures al
I just found an obit for Blaine Hanna he passed on Nov.6 2020. He was born in 1930. I met Blaine in the mid 60s in Port Renfrew. He was a high rigger/Hook tender when I worked with him. He was a great guy to work for.
Blaine was a mentor to many of us that started in the Woods when Blaine was Head Rigger at BCFP Renfrew Div . He was a well experienced Logger hard worker who led by example well spoken even tempered a natural teacher who would quietly explain what he was doing to pass on his knowledge . Always did his best to show us how to do things safely and properly . I may not be sitting here had it not been Blaine and fellows like him teaching us to stay "Out of the Bite". When things got "Tacky" we knew where to be . Thanks Blaine RIP Blaine Hanna hanging in belt below Guylines on what I think was the last Wooden Skidder Home Spar Tree in Renfrew Div . early 1960's .
Here's a good picture of Blaine Hanna hard at work .
Thanks for the pic Al, Blaine was my mentor as well.
Scott Nickerson has lent us some of his late father Bart (Art) Nickerson's logging photos . There is a story as to how Bart Nickerson was called Art Nickerson at BCFP Renfrew Div. , but I don't know it . Art started driving Gravel Trucks , Logging Trucks for Swan Neva at Lake Cowichan then moved to BCFP Renfrew Div. for the rest of his log hauling years . A very competent driver who always took care of his truck and trailers . In the mid 2004 when Timberwest was selling off TL46 and contracting out their Private Lands , Art took retirement from the Forest Industry and helped his son Scott start Ace Back Hoe in the Cowichan Valley . Art continued to drive Gravel Truck & Pup for Ace Back Hoe until his health wouldn't allow him to . The first picture is of Art and his sons Scott and Clint standing by his favourite Off Highway Log Truck #6-239 an 1971 HDX Hayes Conventional at BCFP's Gordon River Camp .
Here's a treasure Hank R sent to me . HDX and an old friend whos father was head rigger and still has his "Wits about him" are checking to confirm if its a former BCFP truck from Bear Cr. or Harris Cr. Camps.
My son sent to me and asked, From the documentary “Mystery Mountain Project” What is that truck?? Hmmm I screenshot it from the show. My first thought was a Mack but door does not look like a Mack door.
It is a KW
The guy on the right is Andy Lindgren, father of Lance Lindgren, Andy was a much beloved grade foreman at Caycuse, Lance was a Heavy Duty Mechanic how became Master Mechanic if I am not mistaken His brother Calvin was a Heavy Duty Mechanic at Caycuse
Jack the Knife drove 230
Welcome to HEF, David !
Al asked me to upload some old pictures that I found. They go from the mid 60s through the 80s to 2001 20 years ago. Through the years I have always had great memories of working in Port Renfrew in the 60s and try to make it back when I can. I went back again in 2019 and checked out lens Creek that I had once logged on. Here are the changes over the years........where did the dam time go!!!!
More pics of Renfrew.
Last of the pics.
Great pictures and contrasts, Len. Feels like time travel looking at the changes. Many thanks. John
It feels like yesterday when I look back on the pictures.
Great pics Len! Thanks for posting. Just goes to s show mother nature reclaims what is hers. Nice k5 Blazer too! Ed
Rob Norman has lent me some pictures . The first group belong to Gordy Goodlad who was a long time Boom boat Operator at BCFP Caycuse Div. The first picture is Caycuse Log Loader Operator Wally Carlson loading the #16-08 a brand new American 7220 Loader ( the second American 7220 for Caycuse D iv. ) on to a Spruce Log Raft , for a trip on Lake Cowichan from Honeymoon Bay to Caycuce Camp .
Rob Norman Collection Gordy Goodlad Picture BCFP Caycuse Div. Gordy Goodlad Operating the Caycuse Prince and Calvin Ketch Operating the Renfrew Prince two tugs towing Spruce Raft with #16-8 an American 7220 on board through "The Narrows" on Lake Cowichan from Honeymoon Bay and to Caycuse . Both the Caycuse Prince and the Renfrew Prince were built by John Manly Shipyards at New Westminster B.C. in 1949 I remember the Renfrew Prince at BCFP Renfrew Div. in the mid 1950's . There was at that time two log dumps at Port Renfrew . One on the North arm of the San Juan River that served the Harris Creek Logging Camp . And one on the South Arm of the San Juan River that served the Bear Creek Logging Camp .The Renfrew Prince towed from the Harris Creek Log Dump and the Pachena Prince towed from the Bear Creek Log Dump . Around 1958 when BCFP had bridged the San Juan River to connect the Bear Creek Logging Camp to the Harris Creek M/L and were preparing to shut down the Logging Rail Road from Bear Creek to Beach Camp on the South side of the San Juan River . I remember watching the Renfrew Prince loaded on a Flat Car heading toward the Bear Creek Camp and head of steel , to be transferred to the Youbou Saw Mill . After that the Pachena Prince did all the towing at Renfrew Div.
Thanks. I just sold the old K5 Blazer about a month ago it was a great bush beater I bought it new. Here is another pic from a long time ago back about 10 years after they shut down the old skidder. This second growth has probably been relogged now. It goes to show then forests are sustainable doesn't it.
Impressive raft, not the weather for mistakes- it looks cold in every way. Needed good circulation in your hands that trip, gloves would be icy cold wet in seconds with the snow and wet chains, ropes. Beautiful photo captures the day perfectly. Do you think they towed it sideways so it yaws less? Bit of snow didn't put those men off, did it.
Rob Norman Collection , picture taken by Gordy Goodlad BCFP Caycuse Div. Gordy Goodlad on Caycuse Prince and Calvin Ketch on Renfrew Prince towing #16-8 an American 7220 Log Loader from Honeymoon Bay to Caycuse Camp on a Spruce Raft used to move Logging Equipment around Cowichan Lake to areas not accessible by roads . On a snowy winter day .
Rob Norman Collection , pictures taken by Gordy Goodlad BCFP Caycuse Div. Loader Operator Wally Carlson unloading Division's new Loader #16-8 American 7220 off Spruce Raft on to beach at Caycuse Camp .
Rob Norman Collection , pictures taken by Gordy Goodlad BCFP Caycuse Div. The 109 Log Dump at Head of Lake Cowichan Late 1960's These logs are from BCFP's holding's around Nitnate Lake , Lower Caycuse River and Haddon Creek areas . This Parbuckle Log Dump was used before the road between the Head of Lake Cowichan and Caycuse Camp was passable for loaded logging trucks . Looks like they have what we use to reefer to as "A Jack Pot" of logs piled up there .
Rob Norman Collection , pictures taken by Gordy Goodlad BCFP Caycuse Div. The Cowichan Prince Tug . It towed Booms from various locations on Cowichan Lake to the Youbou Saw Mill . It was built in 1948 by John Manly Shipyards New Westminster , British Columbia .
Rob Norman Collection , pictures taken by Gord Goodlad BCFP Caycuse Div . 1987 Lifting the Caycuse Prince out of the Lake with 2 Chapman log loaders for the last time . Gord Goodlad said it went to BCFP Narrows Inlet Camp , where he thinks it sank .
Rob Norman Collection , pictures taken by Gord Goodlad Tow Boat Operator , BCFP Caycuse Div. 1987 The Shaw Prince replaced the Caycuse Prince . It was built by the John Manly Shipyard New Westminster B.C. A little history on Gord Goodlad , he started at Caycuse in 1959 working on the "Booms" and spent his entire Logging career there . Gord started as a Deckhand then Operated the Renfrew Prince until 1968 followed by the Caycuse Prince , then the Shaw Prince . After Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP , and became Timberwest , Gord move to the Honeymoon Bay DLS Booming Grounds following the closure of the Caycuse DLS . Retiring when Timberwest shut down the Youbou Sawmill in 2001 and his position was eliminated .
Super little cabin on that boom boat
Rob Norman Collection , BCFP Caycuse Div. An aerial view of Caycuse Camp 1951 with rail road tracks still in place . Camp buildings have been moved off floats on to land . New family quarters are located at top right .
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. A member of a logging camp crew we don't hear to much about in our time , but was a key employee up to the 1960's was a good Blacksmith . I don't know when Rudy Ratzinger started at Caycuse , but Rob tells me he retired in 1989 . I never met him , but his work was legendary . For many years he made all the soft hammers , shackles , loading tongs , babit chokers and logging rigging , a true craftsman . These pictures are of Rudy's Blacksmith Shop before it was donated and moved to the B.C. Forest Discovery Center at Duncan B.C 1st picture is Rudy's Forge , 2nd picture is Rudy's Anvil , 3rd picture is his templates for Loading Tongs , 4th picture is is his work bench . ( Rudy's Work Bench never looked messy like this , This picture was taken after he had retired )
Rudy, was a barrel chested happy man, when ever we were looking for a place to hide as apprentices, we would sneak over to the blacksmith's shop on dayshift, to watch Rudy at work, he was as big as the country around him, both in spirit and intent, tireless with his hammer on the anvil, if you took time to engage him, he would go on about the use of water and fish oil in his tanks to temper his steel. Many an apprentice stole away his marlin spikes for punches, they were the best. A true tradesman for sure
Rob Norman Collection This picture of a Climax Loci outside of the Caycuse Loci Shop . This picture was taken in the 1930's when the Caycuse Camp was part of the ITM (Industrial Timber Mills) holding around Lake Cowichan before it was bought up by B.C. Forest Products in the late 1940's .
Rob Norman Collection A Steam Donkey rigged up on shore of Cowichan Lake situated between location of todays Caycuse Camp and Caycuse Camp site . Probably in the time of Industrial Timber Mills era . Not sure of type yarding style Skidder , Slackline , North Bend or Highlead . The crew was probably from the Matt Hemmingson Camp located near the former Caycuse Dryland Sort . The Wardroper valley is seen across the Lake on the North Shore .
Rob Norman Collection Caycuse Area . A Steam Donkey "Coldecker" being moved down hill . Art Wilson was a long time yarder operator in the Port Renfrew area , his oldest son Don Wilson also ran yarders before he switched to driving Logging trucks . Don told me that quite often when it came time to move a "Coldecker" at Harris Creek , the regular operator wouldn't feel comfortable doing the move , so Art or Don would be recruited to make the move . Don told me of one move he made that it was up a steep side hill and that he was "tied" in so he could stand at the controls . When going up the steepest part of the move a loose Plank in the running boards came loose and hit him in the ribs . As he couldn't move out of the way . Another time he was moving a coldecker up a steep side hill , every time he was breaking over the edge of a ledge he was heading for , the Cummins diesel engine would stall . Then he would let the coldecker slide back down the hill and take another run at the hill . On one attempt , he was just getting to the critical point , when the Cummins engine got a a gulp of air and ran away . It then had the power to pull its self up on the ledge and stalled sitting on the landing .
Great history story.
Howdy AI I remember running that tug or its twin in Narrows Inlet in the 80's and 90's it didn't have a name on it so I'm not a 100% sure if it's the same one but sure looks familiar
Rob Norman Collection The following pictures are of a Float Camp on Cowichan Lake from which Matt Hemmingsen operated around the 1920's . Logging for either the Empire lumber Company or Industrial Timber Mills . The Float Camp was moved along the Lake Shore to which ever Block of timber Hemmingsen was logging . The first picture was taken along the South West side of Lake Cowichan in Hemmingsen Bay located between the "Rock Cuts" part way along the Lake from Caycuse toward the head of the Lake . The 2nd picture was taken around the former site of the Caycuse Dryland Sort .
Rob Norman Collection Rob has found some Winter pictures of BC Forest Products Harris Creek Camp . I'm not sure what year these pictures were taken , but I do not see any sign of Truck Roads or Truck Shop . But I do see the Family Houses , and I think they were placed in the Harris Cr. Camp after BC Forest Products took over the Camp from Hemingsen Cameron Co. in 1946 . So these pictures are possibly taken in the late 1940's . First picture is taken from a ridge on the North Eastern side , up stream of Camp . Port Renfrew is over the ridge to the right in the San Juan Valley .
Rob Norman Collection Two pictures put together showing a Winter scene . Photo taken from a North west ridge over looking BC Forest Products Harris Creek Camp
Rob Norman Collection A winter look at a row of houses at Harris Creek Camp . I'm not sure what year , but I'm fairly certain these house's were put in place by BC Forest Products after the operation was purchased in 1946 . These houses were built in two halves in Vancouver , barged to Port Renfrew and brought to Harris Creek Camp on the Rail Road .
Rob Norman Collection A Winter scene of Harris Creek Camp looking up stream Harris Cr. is behind houses . A string of empty logging (Skeleton) cars on the main line track through Harris Creek Camp . Family homes on the right , Bunk Houses and Cook House on left
Eric Saari Collection This is a picture of BC Forest Products Harris Creek Camp . This picture was taken after the Rail Road tracks were removed and the Camp had been set up to haul logs with logging trucks in the early 1950's . Also shown in picture is the additional Family Houses and Community Hall in line with Bunk Houses and Cook House . And Truck Shop and Truck Sheds to far left of Community Hall .
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. 1st picture is a Wyssen Carriage built in Switzerland the Wyssen Sled sat on the top of the mountain , on the West side of Mclure Lake . The Tail Hold on the East side of Mclure Lake . The system used 5000 ft. of skyline . 2nd picture This project ran from early to mid 1960's . Logs were dropped into Mclure Lake , Chaser was in Boom Boat . Logs were stored in lake and then loaded out during Summer shut downs . Several strips were logged over 4-5 years . The company got a break on Stumpage fees and saved on road building cost's . Another Ken Hallberg idea .
I have sen the diagrams and heard of the Wyssen System, but this is the first time I have seen photos in action. Hope there are more to follow.
Sorry to say , but these are the only pictures I've come across of the Caycuse Wyssen Carriage .
Darn! Separate note, for all you "old" Island loggers, I just finished a book "The Uchhuck Years" by David Young. It is the memoir of David Young and the Uchuck I, II and III a coastal freighter serving the camps on the West Coast of the Island. It is a good read and pretty informative. So many of the camps you Island loggers mention are referred to in the book. It is rather fun to read about some camp and remember stories mentioned here referring to the same camp.
If you can find a copy Whistle up the Inlet the Union Steam ship story by Gerald A, Rushton is another good read . The Union Steam Ships worked out of Vancouver delivering Freight and passengers to the mainland Inlets .
I had to work on that LeTourneau in the late 60's early 70's as a mechanic it was a brute of a machine Diesel Electric.
Wyssen Seilbahnen AG is a family driven company in Switzerland. As other Swiss companies they are seemingly conservative in their main product line; sleigh winches and carriages, but the product line has undergone continiously and substantial technical improvements over the years. Their products are known for exeptional high quality. I've had the pleasure of meeting the very polite and knowledgeable people from the company and family at the Austrofoma logging shows several times. Enclosed is a picture of a similar carriage to the one in camptramps post (from a for sale ad at Wyssen's homepage), this is an old model, but todays HY-4 and HY-7 are modernized versions: This is a manual slackpulling carriage with a hydraulic/spring operated skyline clamp. The traditional Wyssen (also Gantner and Baco) are downhill based systems with the winch top mounted and they are normally equipped with an efficient air fan brake making a very distinct sound when braking a turn down to the landing. Here are a link to a video of long span yarding. See here (scroll down to the bottom for historical pictures) for company history.
I found this old Hayes HDX water truck. Long time since I saw her last time
BCFP #6-210 1954 Hayes HDX 30-80 model. Serialno#4071540
Well I had to go to “Fields of Hayes Dreams” First time I have seen #6-246 - she is awsome
Do you know what year 6-246 is?
HDX can tell you the correct year , but I'm thinking 1972 or 1973 . It was purchased new by BCFP for the Malibu Div. up Jervis Inlet . The #6-245 and the #6-246 bought new together . At that time there was only one yarding side at Malibu , the #6-245 was used steady and the #6-246 was a spare truck unless the #6-245 was broke down or there was the need for a second truck . So the #6-246 didn't get a lot of use until Malibu started a second yarding side in 1975 or 1976 . Then the operation cut back to one side from 1978 - 1981 when the operation was shut down and the #6-245 and #6-246 were relocated to the Caycuse Div. where they were both used full time .
Yes Camptramp, Thanks for filling in the info with these two trucks Yes 1973 Will post a couple pics of the together
The #6-246 HDX Hayes at BCFP Malibu Div. . There was a long steep hill ending at a cavern blasted into a rock face large enough to turn a loaded logging truck around in ( no long logs were hauled at Malibu Div.) . After turning the loaded logging truck around , it then processed down the grade to the next switch back . From the top of Malibu to sea level there were 13 or 14 switch backs and the turn around .
Was getting ready to lowbed the 246 out of the Cameron Shop Yard and out to the "Field Of Dreams" and wanted to get a few pictures of the 245 and 246 together. spent a couple hours getting the 245 running so I could move her into position to get a few pictures. If for no other reason than for History sake.. After all these two trucks were built side by side in the factory and had never been apart all those years for 46 years and now ,With a very uncertain future facing the 245, They had to part ways. I had tried to buy the 245 but was just too much money , however I still keep and eye on her JUST IN CASE!!! Sometimes things move in mysterious ways and you just never know
My goodness Sorry about the double picture post Got to learn how to post all over again I guess
Dare I ask what the Field of Dreams is...???
It is a piece of property outside of Port Alberni here owned by a really good friend. He is a Hayes owner and enthusiest same as I am There are a number of old HAyes trucks and trailers out there in various stages of condition. Most are awaiting restoration but are safe from the scrap dealers. Most run when we put batteries in them.
Good, some could have interpreted that as the scrapyard
Really is a field of dreams
And old “Lipper” - pic 2
I will fill you all in about the "Lipper" tonite when I get time
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. "Old" Harris Creek Camp A large Spruce Butt from the San Juan River flats hauled to Harris Cr. Camp late 1950's
BCFP Harris Creek Camp Old Spruce Butt from late 1950 . (1974)
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #206 HDX Hayes Granite Creek .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse office
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dryland Sort .
Man that looks like a huge muffler on the loader.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dryland Sort
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dryland Sort
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dryland Sort
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Caycuse Dryland Sort .
Peter Mortensen Collection Caycuse Div. Building road along Lake Cowichan between Caycuse Camp and "Head" of the Lake .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. pictured is Camp Manager Burly Bowler presenting Faller Andy Bell with a "Gold Hard Hat" and certificate of membership to the "Turtle Club" . When a worker in the woods in our area in past years was struck by a falling object and was saved from major injury or death by wearing a "Hard hat " , they became a member of the "Turtle Club" .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. #320 An American 7220 log loader traveling down an ice covered hill slid on the ice and went over the shoulder of the road and down a bank . The operator bailed out and survived . A Steel Tower yarder was raised to recover the log loader .
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. #320 American log loader at Caycuse Shop .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. A load of logs being dumped at the "Old A Frame" wet dump .
Peter Mortensen BCFP Renfrew Div. Here is a character I have fond memories of working with . A better Logging Truck driver would be hard to find . Kay Peterson , he was smart and witty , if he pointed something out to you in a gruff manner , pay attention as it was usually good advice . He wasn't known to take flak from anybody . He always make his time card out in pencil . One afternoon as Kay was dropping his time card off at the office , the Woods Foreman asked about a certain corner on a new piece of road Kay had hauled on that day . Kay asked him to wait a minute , picked up his time card , rubbed out the quiting time . Then told the Woods Foreman to continue .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. the Bear Creek Skidder left with home spar tree left standing and winch stripped of cab and engines . Some time in 1970's.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Abandoned Bear Creek Skidder .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Abandoned Bear Creek Skidder . An old railway car used to store extra rigging .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Abandoned Bear Creek Skidder photo's were probably taken sometime in mid 1970's .
Les Way Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Bear Creek Skidder with new Sled around 1958 at Harris Creek Camp .
Abandoned Bear Creek about 2016
Man oh man, how cool is that to see basically from the beginning to the end and also sad at the same time.
Les Way Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Bear Creek Skidder before new sled
I wonder how often they had to re-sled those hoists?
Peter Mortensen Collection Assistant Fire Warden Blackie Lovis and Forester Jack Tovee checking a rig for triming branches off new growth trees in mid 1960's .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort at Port Renfrew early 1980's not long before Office and Shop were relocated to Gordon River Camp and logs hauled to Honeymoon Bay DLS on Lake Cowichan
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. "A Frame" lift off log dump #6-230 HDX Hayes log truck driven by Ken Mcknie
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Booming grounds at "Wet Dump"
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. Booming grounds at Wet Dump
Peter Mortensen Photo Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Terry Steeves operating self loading Pacific Logging Truck for Contractor Jim Anderson Logging at Renfrew Div.
Neat pics. Looks like that old boy doesn’t have any plans on going swimming… just another day at the office.
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div. A couple views of Caycuse shoreline on lake Cowichan
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Abandoned bridge crossing Bear Creek .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A new camp in the making at BCFP Renfrew Div. in early 1960's . Known locally as "The Industrial Site" , the new Camp was built by Browns Creek on the North Arm of the San Juan River . The lower section of Browns Creek was dredged to create a "Booming Grounds" the gravel was used to fill in a Spruce Flat and build up an area for a Dryland Sort , new shops , office , bunk house's and cook house .
Boy, imagine if you tried to dredge out the creek or river up there for an industrial use now?
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The following pictures are an aerial view of the DLS and Booming Grounds along Browns Creek where it enters the North Arm of the San Juan River . A booming Grounds was dredged out of Browns Creek in the early 1950's to create a Log Dump for an "A-Frame" lift off dump , then dredged further up stream for a DLS in the late 1950's early 1960's .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An aerial view of the "Industrial Site" Logging Camp , Shop and Dryland Sort at Port Renfrew .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Photos of "Industrial Site" camp
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Camp
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Camp
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Winter time at the "Industrial Site". Note the old "Cattle Car Crummy's" in a couple of the pictures . I remember one Cattle Car style Crummy when I started working in the Woods in Febuary 1966 , had wooden planks on the bottom and backs of the seats . It was not long after that time proper cushions were installed on the seat part . ( Soft on the butt but still hard on the back ! Two of the Cattle Car style Crummy's came to Renfrew Div. from BCFP's Vancouver Bay Div. when it shut down in 1967 .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Winter time at The "Industrial Site"
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Winter at the "Industrial Site"
Peter Mortensen BCFP Renfrew Div. Cook House and staff
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A sign along the Harris Creek M/L at the "Hillcrest Gate"
Peter Mortensen Collection . BCFP Renfrew Div. A Helicopter landing in the "Timber"
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. There use to be one of these fire trailers parked at every "Tower" from May until October
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A couple of aerial photo's of the Gordon River Camp . The first one is of the camp about 1981 when it was used by WFI . At this point the Gordon R. Camp was in the process of being shut down by WFI . All the Divisions Equipment is in the Camp . The second picture is after BCFP took over the Camp and the Main Shop had been added on to .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A "Long Tom" water tanker had been set up on top of an area of Hemmingsen Creek . A controlled "Slash Burn" had got out of control . this is the result .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The Tank in the back ground , I believe is a "Long Tom" tanker full of water that was parked hooked to a Logging Truck over night on a landing on Spur 19 . First thing in the morning the truck driver pulled out from the tanker . The blocking collapsed and the "Long Tom" tanker rolled down the hill . A slash fire that had gotten out of control Fall 1967 .
Peter Mortensen Collection . BCFP Renfrew Div. The first picture is looking across the San Juan River Valley from Garbage Cr. and Bear Creek Camp side at "A Line" . An area Rail Road Logged in the 1940's . The next pictures are aerial pictures of abandoned Rail Road trestle's on "A Line"
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. San Juan Bay at Port Renfrew B.C.
Peter Mortensen Collection An Island Tug & Barge or Seaspan Tug anchored at San Juan Bay at Port Renfrew , awaits good weather or the correct "Tide" to tow a Boom of logs to Victoria through the Juan De Fuca Straights .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A water tank for filling water tanks on logging trucks(for water on brakes going down hills) . Or filling small tanks on fire trucks along M/L at four mile . Might even been a left over from the Logging Railroad days .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Long Tom fire tankers , #6-236 HDX Hayes Preloader Logging Truck and a pump to fill water tanks .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A former Dodge single axle gravel truck repurposed for a fire truck .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The #208 HDX Hayes former Caycuse Logging Truck repurposed at Renfrew Div, for a water tanker in the Summer months and switched over to a Sand Truck for the Winter months .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Launching the" Tow Boat" Foremast with a Wagner Log Stacker . The "Tow Boat" San Juan Prince in the booming grounds at Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. "Long Tom" fire tankers on site
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Fire fighting equipment available when needed .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #212 HDX Hayes Log Truck retired from Renfrew Div. log haul line up waiting to be shipped out of Division .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A mobile "A Frame" built by Hayes Manufacturing in Vancouver B.C. used to "Dumo" Off Highway Logging Trucks at the new Dryland Sort at Renfrew Div. from about 1963 to 1966 .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. I find this an interesting picture . Usually there were just a Rigging Slinger and two Chokermen on the business end of the "Butt Rigging" , this crew has a couple extras .
Was there a specific reason BCFP used this rather than a LeTourneau or some other log stacker? I know LeTourneaus were around and used with off highway trucks at the time.
The BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort was one of the first on the Coast of B.C. To say there was a lot of trial and error would be an under statement . Some time in late 1965 or early 1966 the Mobile "A Frame " was parked and a Kenworth Log Stacker was used to unload the logging trucks , by splitting the load into two or three "Bites" . It's interesting that I have found pictures of attempts to trip the stakes and use a Cat to push the loads off the logging trucks at Muir Creek DLS a BCFP contract operation in its beginnings around 1963 . Fast forward to the mid 1990's the logs that had been hauled to the Port Renfrew DLS are being hauled to the Honeymoon Bay DLS on Lake Cowichan . Other Logging Operations on the Coast have perfected a system of tripping stakes and pushing loads off logging trucks with 988 Cat log stackers . For the last few years of operation the Off Highway logging trucks were pushed off .
That is a fascinating photo of the cat pushing the load off. Thanks for the clarification and additional information.
Davs Whiskin Collection Honeymoon Bay DLS Cat pushing load off Off Highway logging truck . Late 1990's .
I unloaded a few road trucks that way with a pitifully small crawler loader. Part of the strategy was pushing the trailer away from the tripped load and it would barely do that.
@camptramp Don was my Grampa and thank you for the laughs; the apple (my father), didn’t fall far from the tree.
Funny nobody noticed that is the Butler Bros roller skate!!
That is a picture taken at Muir Creek , it is Butler Bros. first logging truck . Butler Bros. logged for B.C. Forest Products at Muir Creek for a couple of years in the early 1960's before Malloch & Moseley took over the operation. The Dryland Sort at Muir Creek began operations soon after the Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort was opened up . Butler Bros. were also logging for Pacific Logging in the Sooke area before working for BCFP at Muir Cr. . When Pacific Logging increased their quota , Butler Bros. concentrated on that part of their operation . The idea of a "Push off" system for dumping logging trucks was tried very early in the transition of dumping logs in the water to dumping logs on dryland . I seen a primitive system for pushing off loads at a contractors camp out of Gold River in 1989 . But it was the mid 1990's before I seen what was a fine tuned system .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Over the years in the Logging Industry many ideas were tried . Here is a Euclid repurposed to be used as a rock drill . And a D8 Grade Cat equipped as a Rock Drill .
Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie had a D8 set up as a rock drill although nothing as nice/compact as in the photo. One thing I'm always impressed with were the creature comforts on the equipment in BC. I don't think Weyerhaeuser or any logging company ever owned a drill with a cab. You were always right alongside the drill (even on the D8) breathing rock dust alternating between muddy and dusty depending on the day. It was always a throwback to the days of "you hired out to be tough, now be tough." These days, I really like my creature comforts.
There was some pretty good engineering in the D8 rock drill.
The early Grade Cat to Cat Drill were quite a bit more primitive than this one .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A couple of Grade Cats one with an "Arch" one with "Rippers"
Peter Mortensen BCFP Renfrew Div. #204 HDX Hayes Logging Truck , HD Hayes " Chunk Truck" with a Courtnay style loader , A former Gravel Truck being reperposed for a Fire Truck tanker .
Not sure a Fargo belongs in the same thread as Hayes trucks.
Good point LOL BCFP had a lot of Dodge and Fargo's . I think E.P. Taylor the Entrepreneur that created British Columbia Forest Products Co. Ltd. must have had investments in Chrysler Motors . Everything in camp had Chrysler engines in them . Fords started showing up in the mid 1970's .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection
Peter Mortensen Collection .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An early Photo showing a "Jill Poke" used to dump railroad "Skeleton Cars" into San Juan Bay at the Beach Camp log dump. This picture may have been taken during the Malahat Logging era . Several years ago a new Pleasure Boat Marina at Port Renfrew was built along the shoreline at this location .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. When the Timber on the East side of Williams Cr. and North side of the San Juan River was harvested , logging was completed in those areas . The Williams Creek Trestle was also at the end of its life . To continue to be able to travel from Port Renfrew to Shawnigan Lake with "light vehicle traffic" required a bridge over William's Cr. . Somebody came up with the idea to build a "Swinging Bridge" on cables . The bridge served its purpose for a good many years and now is also lost in history .
I drove over a similar bridge crossing the Skykomish River. Just west of the town of Baring. Once was enough for me. If there would have been a different way back I would have taken it. The bridge was originally built in 1930 and is due to be replaced in 2026.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #73 a Model 6 Northwest Log Loader , #204 HDX Hayes Logging Truck . The #73 was originally a grade shovel that was used to build railroad grade and logging roads . About the same time "Cats" were being perfected and used to build roads , Log loaders were being developed to load logs . Grade Shovels were recycled to use as log loaders . In the picture a "Goose Neck Boom" has replaced the shovel boom and dipper stick and a single line is use for a "Tong Line". A couple of years later the operators cab would be raised , the boom would be set up to use three lines to control a "Grapple" . This machine may have been built in the late 1930's or 1940's and was still loading logs in the late 1970's . It's sad to think that after paying its own way for so many years , it was probably cut up for scrap !
Many many years ago I was sent to Renfrew on a field service job. Somebody had told me I could get through from Shawnigan so of coarse I had to give it a try. I did cross the bridge but there was quite a pucker factor in the process. I didn't come home the same way. d.d.
It was always good for a chuckle to have somebody in the car or truck that had never been on that road before. As you approach the bridge , speed up alittle . As you can't see the bridge until your almost on it , Their reaction was always interesting . LOL
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #205 HDX Hayes An early attempt to convert a Northwest grade shovel , to be used as a log loader . Loading over the cab at a wooden home tree .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An HDX Hayes hauling a load of logs through the old Harris Creek Camp .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An HDX Hayes hooked to lowbed with Large butt at the Harris Creek Camp .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. HDX Hayes with large Butt on lowbed at Harris Creek Camp .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An HDX Hayes starting down a set of "switch backs" referred to as the "Burma Road" in the Three Rivers Cr. area .
Bedspring Bridge: This has sure brought back some memories to me. About 1970 on my Ossa trials motorbike I saw part of the far side and it looked like it was hanging down and broken. My heart was in my mouth as I was going way too fast to even think of stopping and then I saw the whole bridge. What a rush! Several months later in my pickup truck I took my wife to experience it. Thanks for posting this bridge.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The first picture is the Three Rivers Creek Trestle . When the logging rail road was lifted in 1958 , the rail grade and trestle continued to be used to haul logs over . In 1966 the useful life of the trestle was coming to an end . The gorge that the trestle crossed required major a structure to replace the existing bridge . A plan to build a Haul Road up the West side of the creek and bridge the Three Rivers Cr. at better location and join up with the Three Rivers Cr. M/L on the East side of the Creek was developed . The Engineering crew laid out the new road , The area west of the bridge had been "Logged" in the late 1950's . A Cat operator started building the new road in the Summer of 1966 . The next pictures show how far the grade was built . The rock formation in that area is shale and slate , following the grade stakes on the center line the operator was cutting in to the high side and building up the low side . There was an old log that was left on the grade , The Cat operator backed the Cat up to the log and as the Cat Swamper set a choker on the log , what ever was holding up the surface the cat was sitting on broke loose . The whole area the Cat was sitting on started sliding down the side of the ravine as if it was on an elevator . The Cat Skinner who was young , spry and had the quick reactions to bail off the Cat , did so . The marks were on the side hill below the grade level where he scrambled to get back up on to the road grade . The Cat was about 3 years old , a D8 with a U blade , it ended up almost under the Trestle submerged in a pool of water . The Cat dropped straight down landing upright in the water , still running . I worked on the crew that recovered the wrecked Cat . A skyline was rigged up and the heal blocks used to tighten the skyline on the "Skidder" using the "Line Horse" to raise the Cat and another Cat to pull it up the East side of the gorge . The "U blade" and "Arms" came up in 2 pieces and the Cat came up intack . I carried the operators tool box (which had stayed on the Cat ) up to the roadside , the only damage or loss was a broken ballpeen hammer handle. The Cat was a total write off .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Cat disaster at Three Rivers Cr.
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. I'm not absolutely sure what happened here , but I'm sure it's a Kenworth , and it looks like the Log Truck that tried to pass a paving buggy along the Meadows a couple miles out from the Industrial Site Camp , Summer of 1965 when the Harris Creek M/L was being paved and ended up with the road shoulder giving way and truck on its side .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. I don't know who this is , but it looks like a fair size stick of wood .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. This looks to be a picture of a "Yarder" on a new sleigh . The picture was taken in the "old" Harris Creek Camp . The buildings in the back ground is where the logging trucks were parked . The small building on the top left of the Truck shed is the original "Dispatch Shack" . The main haul road use to pass between the back of where the yarder is sitting and the Truck Sheds . Roy Johnson ran a log loader and Raymond "Jumbo" Jones was the "Head Loader " . There was an electrical wire that ran from the Shop , over the Haul Road to the Dispatch Shack . Jumbo and Roy looked at that wire as a challenge . They would build a load of logs high enough to hit the wires and tear them down . The wires would be put back up a little higher . Jumbo and Roy would build a load of logs a little higher . This went on for a few times before the wires were raised high enough that Jumbo and Roy couldn't get them .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. This picture maybe some members of the crew at the Harris Creek Camp getting ready to head out to work one morning .
Peter Mortensen Collection . BCFP Renfrew Div. This picture appears to be of someone "working" on a 2 way radio antenna on what may have been the office at the Harris Creek camp .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Lift off A Frame log dump on North Arm of San Juan River . Used from early 1950's to early 1960's . Fellow on top of load in second picture is Andy ( can't remember his last name) . He is putting bundling straps on load to keep them together for Booming and "Towing" to Victoria . Log Booms were made up with bundle 5 wide . I can't remember how many rows long . The number 40 bundles to a Boom comes to mind , but I'm not sure .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A mid 1960's attempt to deal with "Short Chunks" . A short trailer was built and tried , but I don't think it worked out as it wasn't around long .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #222 HDX Hayes being unloader at Dryland Sort .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The first picture is a Slackline Tower sending the Carriage and rigging back "empty" . The second picture is the Slackline Carriage being pulled into "Landing" with a "turn of logs" The third picture is the Slackline Carriage being sent back empty , with a pail carrying the rigging crews lunch buckets . ( Note the back spars along the top ridge )
What yarder/tower was this?
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #762 120 Ft. telescoping Skagit Slackline Steel Tower built in 1965-66 mounted on a "Lowbed" style trailer moved with an Off Highway Preload Logging Truck . Winch is a Skagit Slackline Yarder originally on a Wooden Sled sent to Skagit and mounted on new Tower .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #762 Skagit Slackline 120 Ft. Telescoping Steel Tower .
That looks like an IJ-90
Les Way Photo BCFP Renfrew Div. This may be the #762 Skagit Slackline Yarder on a wooden sled .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture an old style Hayes preload trailer "shortened up" parked in clear . 2nd picture #762 Skagit Slackline Tower and #71 a Northwest Log Loader loading an old style Hayes preload trailer set up and being loaded .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #762 Skagit Slackline Tower (used as highlead yarder) , #71 Log Loader loading Hayes preload trailer .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Industrial Site Marshalling Yard ( The school bus in picture was originally used for the "Skidder Crew" )and Dryland Sort area .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The remains of the east side of Bear Creek Rail Road Trestle .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Early attempt at Grapple Yarding .
Pete Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Jack Norman Cat Logging with company D8 Cat
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 a TL 15 Track Loader
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Dozer Boat at Renfrew Div. booming grounds .
Peter Mortensen Collection #16-23 Northwest Log Loader mounted on Madill rubber tire under carriage loading out from 90 ft. Madill 009 yarder .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Washington TL 6 Log Loader loading HDX Hayes Log Truck with logs yarded by Madill 044 Grapple Yarder .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Some guy's we worked with 1st Bruce Wilson Started on the Rigging , 2nd rigged on Slacklines , Hooktender on High lead and Short Yarders , Operated Steel Towers , Line Log Loaders , Hydraulic Log Loaders and Hoe Chucker's . 2nd Roy King worked around the Landing mid 1960's . 3rd Al Vineyard and Sig Teit a couple of the Classic hard working Fallers from the "Contract Day's" on "Skidder" settings .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort .
Always been curious if there was rail at Tuck because one section through the trees is flat like it had been a railway. Certainly can't find any information on it.
The area surrounding Tuck Lake was logged by Railroad from the Camp 3 Div. . When the New Growth was Truck Logged in the late 1990's - early 2000's some of the roads were rebuilt Railroad grade .
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. # 505 an American 7220 Log Loader . Operator Ernie Harrison
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. # 505 an American Log Loader
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-6263 P16 Pacific pulling Lowbed with #93 TL15 Track Loader on board . Parked at Hemmingsen Cr. M/L and Harris Cr. M/L Junction . #6-221 HDX Hayes Logging truck also in picture .
hello everyone as a port renfrew resident I have been keenly following in the footsteps of many before me, my family the Phillips have been here a long time, I have visited all the sites of past, found an abundance of left behind artifacts, logging equipment and many unspoken treasures, my latest quest is camp 2 and its artifacts of past, is there anyone within this group that can provide a map of the many rail lines and spurs within the San Juan valley
I'll send you a private message , I'm sure we have a lot in common , if your related to George Phillips .
If there's a connection share it with the rest of us. There's been a lot of great stories on the forum. Always interesting to hear more.
No response to this or a PM . I spent quite a few years in the Port Renfrew area and the only Phillips I recall is the family of George Phillips . I think George was originally from Vancouver . He went to work in a shop at a logging camp in one of the Inlets on the mainland coast of B.C. across the Georgia Straits from Campbell River . BCFP bought out several Logging outfits in the mid 1940's - early 1950's that they shut down for a period of time then "contracted out" . Quite often BCFP would offer good worker's and valued employee's a job in one of their other bigger operations that they continued to operate under the company name and management . George Phillips was moved to the Harris Creek Camp in Renfrew Div. where he stayed as a Heavy Duty Mechanic in the truck shop for the rest of his working career , keeping a fleet of Off Highway Kenworths , HDX Hays and P16 Pacific logging trucks maintained and repaired . At some point George would have become senior mechanic . Good guy , if you had a question , he would take the time to answer it . After hours he had a side business fixing the locals private vehicles . And for many years was a member of the Volunteer Fire Department .
Hopefully Renfrew comes back.
He was my pops Miss him dearly
George was a good man , If he wasn't busy keeping "his trucks" on the road , he was pulling wrenchs for someone else .
This abandoned line loader is just one of many relics of logging history resting in the valley, its slowly being picked apart by those who knows its location, please if you know, keep it secret, some crazy individual cut the boom line dropped the boom and stole the grapple a year back My pops has a ton of pics of his time here in renfrew I’ll be starting to post them, from early camp life to “his fleet” of logging trucks he looked after Some of my best memories were Friday nights in the shop as a wee kid with pops and his workmates and the test drives in the HDX trucks to the “special magazines” in the lunchroom in the shop
SAD !
I'd love a copy if one exists of a map of the San juan Valley rail lines as well
I will be watching for those.
Are you able to Private message me a general area to find this?
Are you able to give me a general idea of the location on the skidder
Hello friends I found this BCFP forestry tag while digging clams just above the cove bridge a few days ago Can anyone fill me in on the origins of this tag
Looks to me like a pressed tag that came off of a spool of 300 ft of 3/4-in round rope
Wonder if it could be for wire rope from a yarder or something?
It could possibly be a telescoping line or raising line for a Skagit, a live boom gantry line for a swinger or possibly a grub line for a grapple/MSP yarder
What ever it was for will remain a mystery , but WD your correct . Probably stapled to a wooden spool . It must have been laying in the mud for many years , as the Harris Creek Camp was shut down around 1962 .
That's a pretty neat artifact, the spool is gone but the label remains. Mclennan Mcfeely & Prior was a big supplier of the time. I found this neat building that still stands from the 1930's that bears the company name. https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=3501 Here is a more complete history of the company, and an interesting connection to the Buchart family of Buchart gardens fame. http://www.butchartgardenshistory.com/mclennan-mcfeely-prior-co-ltd/
Acklands history is a little off. Their head office was based out of Winnipeg I believe. It was Manitoba for sure, the same as Ashdowns Hardware which Acklands bought in 1970 when the sons didn't want to carry on with the business. My grandpa had a long career with Ashdowns and was the Calgary branch manager and also on the board of directors. Ashdowns was larger than Acklands. My grandpa got a new car every year during the 30's depression.
That alone makes it a pretty damn cool find
The operator was Vern Gates.
BCFP was actually the 2 largest outfit in North America..next to Mac Bloe..CZ, Rayonier, Pioneer logging, Canfor was number 1 or 2. And interfor... WFP was small... sadly..FC..gobbled up BCFP 1989..and CZ in early 80's. That name changed to CFI..
FC just had the paint shop boys slap a vinyl decal over the hand painted BCFP logo ..we see alot of BCFP Tractors up here at Cameron camp. Parked outside..with the BCFP logos still flying high ..and a few Crown Zellerbach tractors.
I just found this on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...QHCARtDaElKMGM4SGVqMnZZbFFSU2hZZnJmUS1lUDg%3D
Sorry here is the right link from Elk River Div. 1987