Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Britstand HL60 Motor Grader

robinhoodstn ยท 2014-01-01 22:31

Have a HL60 that you can't into gear. If you start in gear it is not a problem can shift between 2nd and reverse no problem but if you go to neutral you can't get it back into gear, anyone got any clues

Replies7
  1. #1Queenslander2014-01-09 06:50

    Sorry, I don't know much about Britstand graders but I did spent some time with a bloke from Robinhood ,about 35 years ago, who I haven't seen since. If you don't mind me asking, what is your first name? Cheers, Greg

  2. #2Aussie John2014-01-23 07:59

    Being a Britstand, it probably has a dry type clutch fitted like fitted to a truck, and if it is not releasing properly it I suggest checking the following: requires adjustment or linkages worn the clutch plate is worn out or covered in oil or rusty clutch pressure plate worn out I suggest firstly checking the linkages, pins & bushes for wear. If worn, you will not have enough travel at the clutch through-out bearing to disengage the clutch. If OK or repaired, check the adjustment - there should be about 1" free travel of the pedal. If there any covers on the clutch housing, remove these and have a look inside if possible and check under the clutch housing for oil leaks. I hope this helps.

  3. #3robinhoodstn2014-02-04 06:36

    Yeh no worries, I don't know much about them either - but Peter is the name, few of us here at Robinhood

  4. #4Queenslander2014-02-05 04:18

    G'day Peter, I was at QAC with Dave during 77,78. As I recall he had a brother Peter. I tried to send you a private message with my contact details, but I think you need to get some more posts up before this will happen. Meanwhile,there was a bloke called Winston posting here a few years ago who actually worked as a mechanic for Britstand in the late 50's. He even posted his ph no. Fellas like this would be getting pretty thin on the ground now, worth giving him a call. Read about it here. Cheers, Greg

  5. #5robinhoodstn2014-02-06 16:08

    Greg, You have the right place David is at Old Robinhood (all part of this) and in actual fact the grader was his. he is in the Cairns phone book under DA and DM Terry. That Winston was the main reason why I posted on here thought he might be still around will try his phone and see how I go. cheers Peter

  6. #6brock382014-02-08 02:20

    Hello Peter. I was wondering how you have got on with your Problem. I served my Apprenticeship as a Fitter/ Motor Mechanic at British Standard Machinery at Mascot Sydney from 1954/59 and have worked on the Grader Assembly Line. Your Grader should have a AEC 7.7 Engine 95 HP The Clutch is a Single Drive Plate Borg & Beck Type, that can be removed from the Machine without removing the Engine !!! Have You tried to Stall the Engine with Brakes on, or connected to a Tree with a Chain or Cable to see if you can Slip the Clutch? If the Clutch will be Slipping and the Engine only slows down, This means that you have to Reco the Clutch Assy. If it Stall the Engine that means the Clutch Assy is OK ! Sorry I have a change of Phone Number... 03) 8288-1062, email [email protected] Regards Winston Brocklehurst, PS. I know of two other Contacts with your type of Grader in NSW.

  7. #7robinhoodstn2014-02-08 17:48

    brock38, Thanks for all that, I was hoping you would pop up at some time. Yes it has got an AEC motor in it, there are some old AEC dump truck here with much the same motor. Back to the problem, the clutch doesn't slip it will actually spin when grading so suspect that it is ok, won't release or if you go to neutral you can't get it back into gear. Did those graders have a clutch brake on them? I will give you a ring this afternoon and have a yarn. Regards Peter