Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

broke king pin casting on jcb 1550b what to do, pics

cowhater ยท 2013-03-24 23:20

can this be welded? Where are salvage yards?

Replies5
  1. #1eric122013-03-24 23:38

    wow, nicely done. try www.HRparts.com theyre out of buffalo ny and take apart machines for parts but id be surprised if they had that.

  2. #2robin yates uk2013-03-25 02:43

    I have been around JCB BHL for more than 30 years but I never saw this damage before.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2013-03-25 03:03

    Yair . . . cowhater I am not familiar with how that component fits and works on the machine but if a replacement can't be found (if it was mine) I would look into fabricating a replacement out of inch or inch and a half plate. I am not saying it can't be vee'd, welded and reinforced but it would be an awful lot of work to do and still have that nagging doubt. Either way it is a big job but may be worth doing if it is otherwise a serviceable machine. Cheers.

  4. #4Tinkerer2013-03-25 07:10

    You can not double post in the forums. But Tom V, Ray F and some others in the Shop Talk forum can answer your questions about welding it. Maybe you could send them a PM and ask them to look at this thread.

  5. #5RayF2013-03-25 09:32

    Just seen this. It can in theory be successfully welded. Problem is finding someone who has the expertise and the facilities to do it. I know of only one man who is elderly, who would do a top class job on it. Get the whole job to a red heat and fusion weld it using the same consumable as the parent metal and then the facilities to let it cool down slow. If it was mine I would be looking for a good used one or as another bloke said fabricate one. That's a big job to do that plus all the machining that is involved. Then again repairing the old one means a lot of machining as well. It's a lesson to all to keep those castings clean and check weekly for cracks. I have seen heaps of those with cracks starting. Those pics show that its been cracked for some time before it let go. If you can get it early you can stop the failure