hello to every one out there , I have a IH 3500A backhoe, with trans problems, its the forward and reverse trans, (shuttle shift) I have a shop manual on how to take the trans apart to get the clutch pack out but cant make heads or tails out of it , there is a big gear on the bottom witch is in the way of sliding out the what I call the sleave I think its called the pto gear I have took the snap ring off and the manual says to peck it back, this does work it will not budge if any one out there could help me or give me some advice , on how to do it also I have having problems on finding clutches for the clutch pack any any one give me any suggestions on where to look , I have the motor out and all that stuff and have the bottom pump out , where would I find a rebuild kit for the pump also ty ,
It's been awhile, it seems the gear you are talking about has like said a snap ring that holds it in place on the shaft along with a snap ring on the front next to the bearing under the cap, it should be driven to the rear to allow the shaft to come out and allow the gear to drop. For some reason I think you will have to remove the pump also in front of the rear axle, on the rt side. That shaft that your trying to bump back drives that pump also. I seem to think we had to go in there and take out a roll pin going to the ipto, then slide the lower shaft out the rear of the tractor, remove that ipto , then you would have enough room to bump that front shaft back to get that gear out. Some of the IH backhoe's needed to remove the backhoe for clearance of the shaft removal before doing the engine split. Also I think there is a freeze plug in that bell housing that has to be pulled to remove the reverse idle gear, this shaft comes out the front and has a roll pin holding it in place. Think there is a oil hole in it that has to lined up on install . Will think some more on this.
would it be better to just split that section of the trans and take it all the way out , I have the motor already out and like I said got to shaft cover and all that stuff off just that pto gear is holding that housing where I need to get to the clutch pack what its doing its not pulling in forward or reverse, I can ingage the gears and turn the shaft and see where its turning on the clutches but I am not for sure if its the forward or reverse pump that is mounted on the bottom or not , or the clutch pack I was gonna try and find a rebuild kit for the cluches, , are they any good way to test the pump to see if its working or not while its not installed ,
The pump is only like 3 or 4 gpm, with a pressure of 240 to 270 psi, it feeds both clutches, the oil cooler line feeds the pump, the plate you pulled down should have a plug/spring/spool, it controls the pressure for the clutches, the tube from the pump going up to the clutches could take up to 75-90 psi of air pressure and may be able to hear a piston leak in both the F/R clutch packs while changing the spool setting on the control spool. Getting back to the splitting the trans, I still think even if you remove the center housing you have to remove the pump mounted to the right side under your rt foot, in housing access there is a gear to the rt with a snap ring, and may even have the ipto clutch pack, if there is a clutch pack it will have a roll pin to your rt side that has to be driven out of it's shaft, then you have to go to the rear where the 1000 shaft comes out and remove the three bolts and slide the shaft out the rear this will allow the clutch pack to move to the left and come out, then you should be able to bump the shaft in the bell housing back to remove the gear under the F/R. Now if there is no clutch pack in there and you want to take the center section out, the shaft at the rear has a snap ring to remove along with the gear to the right in the pump hole, you have to bump the shaft from the rear working the snap and gear down the shaft as you slid the center section out. I think most ih agg dealers still can get your parts.
ok great I will try this as soon as the weather breaks ty so much for the info, just another question how much do u think a rebuild kit for the clutches would probably run
hello Sheepfoot, I got the motor out of the backhoe and took all the lines loose from the trans, and got the pump that u said to take off , and there Is no clutch pack in there , they are to gears and one big shaft up at the top that goes into the rearend, the one on the left works the pump on the left an the one on the right works the pump on the right the left one has a nut on the end of it , as the biger one on the right don't, and I cant see where the snap ring u was talking is, and the one going though into the rear end looks like its splined into the transmission its self , so could u tell me witch one of these gears I need to be looking at ,
and another question if I may sorry to keep bothering you , but that unit where the clutch packs are, would that be called a torque amplifier?? if so are they any way I could get a part number for it I have found thes on the net ty
http://www.varvayanis.com/sp/Equipm...actor_Series_B_Parts_Manual_TC-175_4-1974.pdf
Hi I have the 3500A 322 I don't know what the 322 is bought I do have the parts book for that tractor I will send a breakdown on the drivetrain and if you can't read the number on the parts numbers let me know if I can help you I will I don't see an torque amplifier on it but I didn't look hard....
this is the 3500A the picture is upside down...good luck