Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broken cracked rims

Canadian_digger ยท 2015-03-01 12:14

I have 3 ten ton tag trailers. Two towmasters and one eagar beaver. all have tandem dexter axles with duel wheels. 235/85-16 rubber. Mounted on steel budd wheels. All three trailers have had broken or craked rims more than one. Anyone else have this problem? I haul 310 backhoes and 450 dozer on them. Is there a solution to this problem? It is a big pain when it happens. Sometimes it ruins both rims and damages the hub if it's not cough right away.

Replies22
  1. #1lantraxco2015-03-01 14:02

    Are they cracking out at the stud holes? The backhoes and dozer fer sure are not overloading the trailers...

  2. #2DoyleX2015-03-01 14:07

    A buddy of mine had a 16k gooseneck single wheel 16's. He would do the same thing... or pull the studs out. Turning around in a cul de sac with weight on the trailer or tight corners. I thought the tires were going to pull off the rims. I got away from that light duty 16" crap and upgraded to 17.5's. Best money I have ever spent.

  3. #3AllDodge2015-03-01 14:10

    I have a 10 ton tag and no expert here as a non-commercial guy, but my thought is maybe your doing a lot of tight turns. Both the 450 and the 210 are 14K loads but the hoes will putt more weight on the trailer then the dozer due to the hoe length. Towmaster shows 20 foot length and Eager Beaver shows 19 foot. I have hauled my 416 several times (lot less then you I'm sure) and I have seen no issues. Mine is a 10 ton tag, electric brakes and same rim/tires, says it's a Litchfield but don't think they make it

  4. #4Canadian_digger2015-03-01 15:10

    They are not cracking at the studd holes. They crack between the holes in the rim or the outer edge of the hub makes contact with the rim.

  5. #5Canadian_digger2015-03-01 15:14

    I would love to have 17.5. But I think I would have to get 20 ton trailers. Witch cost more and are heavier. I like to stay light as possible because I am at my limit when half loads are on during spring thaw.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-03-01 15:23

    Wow... never seen that unless they were grossly overloaded. Tandem axles with dual wheels they should pretty much counter rotate when making sharp turns... What are you pulling these with, can you get the tongue weight up to max?

  7. #7Canadian_digger2015-03-01 16:04

    Pulling out with sigle axle dumps. Backhoes and dozer loaded as far forward as possible.

  8. #8lantraxco2015-03-01 16:23

    :beatsme

  9. #9DoyleX2015-03-01 18:16

    You might be able to find the 8 bolt 17.5 rims or have to get a differnt hub. Might have to restud longer as the rim is thicker. I have 7200lb axles on my towmaster skid trailer with single 17.5

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2015-03-01 18:40

    I suspect it is from the flex from hard turns. Look at the wheel and what it does when turning sharp. I would upgrade to 17.5 tires and wheels. They are made much stronger, and you will get better tire life as well. You will have to buy new studs, and likely need to get the hubs machined for the larger studs to fit, but it will be worth it. No more cracks, and far less flats, with better tire wear as well.

  11. #11Canadian_digger2015-03-01 19:44

    Anyone know if there is a 17.5 rim that will be a direct fit. Not sure it would be worth getting new hubs or maching.

  12. #12lantraxco2015-03-02 00:42

    One thing I don't think has been asked, if the tires on an axle don't all match for height, especially in a pair of duals, or the air pressures are off by much, the loading can cause extreme stress in the wheels. Just thought I would mention it.

  13. #13Dualie2015-03-04 01:22

    Id be willing to bet $100 its from turning to tight and side loading the wheels

  14. #14Canadian_digger2015-03-05 21:00

    Found these what do you think. http://www.affordableequipmentonline.com/listings/l0211.shtml

  15. #15lantraxco2015-03-05 22:46

    Looks perfect to me!

  16. #16JBGASH2015-03-06 07:00

    Canadian Digger, I had the same problem with the tire size you mentioned, I changed the tire size to 7-50-16's and have not any more issues. The 7-50's are a smaller footprint on the ground and do not bulge as bad when turning.

  17. #17Dualie2015-03-07 02:36

    those look like DRW rims. Offset completely wrong for replacing singles.

  18. #18lantraxco2015-03-07 02:49

    The OP stated he had duals..............

  19. #19Canadian_digger2015-03-07 10:28

    You are right I talked to them on Friday. I will be ordering a set of 8.. I'm just waiting for a price to ship them. I will be getting bear rims and mount my own tires. They are ratted for double the weight of my 16" rims. So they should solve my problem. They are $130 each.

  20. #20Dualie2015-03-08 03:08

    I have had great luck with the continental HSR's The goodyears seemed to be not so good for me. hankook seemed to be another decent brand for me

  21. #21DoyleX2015-03-08 09:48

    Sounds like you switched to the 17.5's Great choice. The sidewall is tremendously stiff. Your gonna want a good tire machine. I have been buying GT Radial for around $180 out the door.

  22. #22monster762015-03-08 09:52

    My favorite 17.5 has been the sumitomos