Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broken hydraulic cylinders

bmckenzie · 2026-06-22 19:44

I just purchased a Bobcat brand 90" 6way dozer blade from a guy that had bought it off a dope grower, he was going to fix it up for himself and decided he had better things to do with his time. I checked it out and bought it . All three hydraulic cylinders are snapped off at the rod ends. They are 3" x 1 1/2 shaft x 7/8 pin cylinders so it was no easy feat. The question is , is there a relief valve / bypass in the system that's not working ? or was the original guy just trying to break an anvil.

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2026-06-22 21:54

    Dope grower likely used the machine for a battering ram. I'd guess lots of slop in the rod ends and the linkages for the quick coupler. I've met plenty of people who could break an anvil so a skid steer wouldn't be much of a challenge.

  2. #2bam19682026-06-23 08:35

    I can understand breaking one cylinder but all three!!!! I feel like that would take some effort.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2026-06-23 10:33

    Dope and Skid Steer operation, is dangerous! I had a crew working for me, in a leased satellite warehouse. They all got higher than a kite and had forklift races in the warehouse. They even used stacks of pallets for the course. I spent a month and thousands of dollars fixing up the damage, electrical and beam supports, one had a 6” cast drain pipe, completely shattered. One of the forklifts, had the back cage completely ripped off.