While working on a project moving lots of boulders, the quick coupler on my JD 410G failed, see pics for the damage. It looks like a fairly complicated fabrication and welding project to repair it. New OEM is over $1,500, new aftermarket are way over a grand, I found a used one for $450 that looks like it has seen better days. Any opinions for repair or replacement? The metal is crystallized and fatigued so the entire "hook" section must be replaced. I'm not in a huge hurry as I installed my 24" bucket and thumb directly to the stick so I'm still in business. I just can't change buckets very easily. Thanks in advance for any insight provided!
I would be tossing it and buying a new one. Ive repaired many and it doesn't take much to run up 1500 bucks.
If you're tooled up, cut off the fatigued part and make a new one of HY100 or T1 plate. If you're not tooled up, then you get to pay somebody that is. Everything on a hoe is priced for a guy making a living with it. They can deduct a third of the cost or more on their income tax; the vendor bumps the price a third knowing it's a write off. It's a big game. But then the homeowner shows up and he can't deduct a third, he gets to pay full price. Price anything for the professional and you'll see.
That is my biggest gripe. homeowner playing in the big boys club. the pricing can clean you out. and the support from these guys is nill without the deep pockets.
Thanks for all the replies men, I was thinking the same thing Ray but thought I would see what others have done. I think I'll keep looking for a used one with life left in it for a fair price since I don't have to have it right away, don't want to spend the bucks for a new one and I'm not tooled up for the repair myself. A friend did tell me about a guy that does line boring and welding work for fair prices so I may ask him for a repair estimate. I'm fairly sure that the repair will cost more than used due to the substantial labor involved. I did find a couple that had sold at auction in the past two years that looked to be in serviceable condition, both went for less than $200. So that could work out too but will take some time and effort.