Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

broken wire detector thoughts

Midnightmoon · 2021-02-18 08:28

Looking for info on a good broken wire detector. Ive heard of some that send a signal down the wire and can tell you the distance of the break but im not having much luck other then wire tracers that use a signal to trace wires. That would work but does anyone have one they like. seems to be alot of cheap under 50 ones out there

Replies12
  1. #1Mike L2021-02-18 08:38

    some time ago I bought the power probe master kit which came with a short detector. I never took the time to learn how to use it. That’s the only one I’ve ever seen.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2021-02-18 08:46

    Power Probe is the only 1 I’ve seen advertised.. They make 1 hellofa convincing commercial tho.

  3. #3Mike L2021-02-18 08:50

    I swear by the power probe 3. Good stuff!

  4. #4Midnightmoon2021-02-18 09:07

    I have the power probe 3 maybe there is an add on for what i'm looking for

  5. #5Midnightmoon2021-02-18 09:10

    wana sell the ect3000 part of your power probe

  6. #6Mike L2021-02-18 09:12

    Mine was called the master kit I think. Had a power probe 3 with a short detector, back probes, wire piercing thingys, all in a plastic molded case

  7. #7Midnightmoon2021-02-18 10:23

    just the ect3000b can be bought. Found it new on ebay for 109.

  8. #8Mike L2021-02-18 10:48

    id have to dig around and find it but if you don’t buy the one on eBay let me know

  9. #9thepumpguysc2021-02-18 17:28

    I’ve seen them at the pawn shops for cheap.. Electrical problems aren’t in my wheel house so I never picked 1 up.. And if I’m out on a service call, it’s gonna be a fuel systems problem & if it turns into an electrical problem.. the customer thinks it should be fixed for free.. u know, as long as your there.. It’s easy for me to say, SORRY not in my wheel house..

  10. #10JD955SC2021-02-18 20:54

    I thought about getting one but then realized the hell it would be to dig a harness out of a bad spot, get it opened up without damaging other wires, and repair the wire vs just running an overlay repair wire and getting the machine back up. Also much of the harnesses I deal with go through fairly inaccessible areas.

  11. #11stinky642021-02-21 18:33

    Actually used a $25 chinese unit three times to locate broken/rubbed/greenie in the harnesses of six month old Petes that had a design flaw in the harness routing,(imagine that) rubbed through on frame gusset..Guy at work pulled that thing out of his bottom drawer and smiled, said check this thing out..Of course I was skeptical but it actually worked..it emitted a little beep all the way down the harness till it passed the greenie then stopped..The problem is justifying hacking into a large brand new harness that's still under warranty,but when freight has to move..make it happen...I'm sure there are better more expensive units out there but, I acquired one of the cheap units and it worked on the latter two of those greenie issues...

  12. #12kenh2021-02-21 22:40

    I have a cheapo that injects a signal. follow down the wire with the Receiver, no beep then you are in the vicinity of the open. If it is a short should be able to follow burn trail.