Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

used oil filtration

petepilot · 2021-02-17 17:46

I want to put together a 3 filter used oil filter setup. one filter on the pickup side & two on output not looking for high gpm 5-6 gph would do` oil is a mix motor gear& hyd & likely a little water. need a recomendation for type of pump to use will be elec powered 110. v 3/4-1 hp motor

Replies13
  1. #1Coaldust2021-02-17 18:20

    I suggest considering an air operated diagram vs an impeller.

  2. #2Nige2021-02-17 18:44

    All depends where it’s located I think. Diaphragm pumps are f’kin noisy. Depending on the viscosity of oils that you plan on pumping through it you might also consider a heater to improve the flow characteristics.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-02-17 19:22

    True Dat. They go chugga chugga chugga. When they stop going chugga chugga chuggga, they go hissssssssss.

  4. #4Delmer2021-02-17 20:02

    Gallons per hour or minute? You won't need 3/4 HP for either. Get a cast iron gear pump. A small one, or a pressure relief valve to go along with it. Three phase industrial surplus are easy enough to run on single phase if you like to scrounge.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-02-18 01:57

    Electric motor, flex spider shaft coupler, gear pump, pump adapter housing. Bailey hydraulics and Surplus center.

  6. #6colson042021-02-18 07:18

    I was thinking same thing. Cheap gear pump from surplus center should work quite well for this application, size it for the flow requirement, and should he fairly quiet overall.

  7. #7Sberry2021-02-18 15:14

    Suction screen, pump then filter.

  8. #8petepilot2021-02-18 16:17

    yep been there done that`different app.

  9. #9lantraxco2021-02-18 20:17

    We used diaphragm pumps for sucking waste oil out of the drain pans into the fuel truck waste tank. Pain in the butt mostly, but as long as you let the suction screen catch the lumps the check valves worked and they did the job.

  10. #10Sberry2021-02-21 20:16

    I will get a pic but I found a little brass bugger on 1/2 up is nice, it's gear and will pump pressure if you squeeze it off and it ain't but 2 or 3 gpm but is beautiful for oil and use it for tire brine too.

  11. #11petepilot2021-03-04 20:32

    That looks just about like what I had in mind

  12. #12Sberry2021-03-05 09:06

    It came on some piece we salvaged something from best I can recall. I fixed it up with a switch and slimline it to store easy. I think it might have been waste oil burner but it's been a long time.

  13. #13jonno6342021-03-16 10:18

    I use the diaphragm air pump, and on the suction side, I use (used) screw in oil filters. This oil gets pumped into a larger settling tank, and water is drained or pumped off the bottom occasionally. Oil is pumped off the top with the same pump and filter system, into my furnace.