Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brown cab vs. grey cab 1845c

Joel59 ยท 2013-10-24 10:14

I'm looking at Case 1845c skidsteers. I have read that the grey cab machine is favorable to the older brown cab machines. What is/are the differences? In my price range 8-10k I can find both. Is it a deal breaker to find a brown cab machine as opposed to a grey cab? I understand the grey cab machines are newer, but mechanically is there anything else? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2013-10-24 18:03

    Just my opinion, but condition of machine is more important than age. If the machine you are looking at has the hydraulics to run any attachments you I'd rather have a machine that was properly cared for over a one year old one that was run hard and put up wet.

  2. #2KSSS2013-10-24 21:09

    Actually there are some differences. The last year for the brown cab machines was 1994 I believe. The machines received the single lap bar as opposed to the two spit lap bars in 1993. The 1845 model is still the longest running skid model ever made. While the model received the B and C model designators over the years indicating significant changes, other changes were trickled in over the years until they stopped production in 01-02 time frame. Hydraulic updates came in the late 90's I believe. The newer the model year, the better as with most things. However the 1845C is still a very desirable machine in good condition. The biggest downside was in my opinion was the pin brake design, still hard to believe that was the best they could do, but the rest of the machine makes up for this rather poor design.

  3. #3alrman2013-10-24 21:42

    Early models had a planetary gear set, between the drive motors & chain cases. Later models ran the motors direct to the chain cases, a better design. 3 different injector pumps fitted over the years as well.

  4. #4kshansen2013-10-25 07:31

    I would have to agree on that! While it is a very positive way to stop movement with an untrained operator could cause major damage. Or in the rare chance one of the cables or links failed while traveling. We also have a Bobcat 743 it has a big peddle you almost have to step on to get out of the cab that clamps a disk brake rotor in the chain box.