I just bought a Deere 550J for clearing right of way in mesquite. I have seen some dozers that have brush guards built on top of the blade to keep brush from coming over the top. Are these necessary? I have some time in the shop before it’s first job and am wondering if I should fab one up.
I would want it for protection as much as anything. Might look at anything else that could be subject to damage. Does machine have sweeps and screens on it?
It has sweeps but no screens
I built one on my d8r 27 inch high 4 foot wide then tappers down to 10 inch at the outsides 1/2 inch plate face 4 by 4 by 3/8 tube frame 6 braces plus end back braces love it will save you lots of money in timber jobs on smaller dozers you need screens everware and in clearing you will find out you still get limb where you did not think you could
Thanks. Do you by chance have any pictures of yours? I was going to build my own. Since my dozer is a lot smaller do you think I should make it smaller or should I go a similar 27” high and same material size?
my su blade started out 12 foot 8 inch wide 5 foot 8 inch tall I would put that in sacele to what you have then cut out cardboard to see what you think rasies the blade up mine blocks the front visable but after running it myself for about 600hr I like it if you get in a tight spot you will learn to look ahead I thought about adding cable from the top of the blade guard to top of sweeps but have only had one small tree get past guard [ I will try to get one of the boys to take pictures tommrow and post ] ron
Thanks again.
I did some measuring today and if I make it 5' wide in the middle and 24" high and then taper down to the tops of my root rake mounts on the outside I don't think it will obstruct my view much. Sitting in the seat I can't really see the center 5' of the blade anyway. I plane to make the 5' by 24" center section solid plate angled forward and then maybe just vertical bars on the outside angles down edges so I can see through them. If I use 1/2" plate for the center 5'x24" section would vertical braces every 12" be adequate? I was thinking of using some 3/4" x 6" strap I have laying around to make the braces out of. Just not sure if every 12" is adequate or if they need to be closer together. The plate will be welded solid to the blade all along the bottom and I was going to run a heavy square tube along the top.
you wont need 1/2 inch plate on the 550 1/4 would be good for what you are doing angled forward is fine but stay well back from the cutting edge 3/4x6 would be fine for braces I used tube on outside of the center and ends you wont like the outsides open a limb will be stuck in it all the time the top will hit trees more often than you think so more braces the better
Here are a couple before pictures. It had a mount for a grubber but I don't have one nor will I need one but I do have a rake. Did some cutting Guard mounted
Side view back braces All that is left is rounding some corners and welding it out. We are going to pull it in the shop and usual the dual shield flux core to do that.
Only negative I can add for the solid shield is you will eat a lot of the dust rolling up and then back from the engine fan, grill would have been some smarter. May consider slotting vents in the center of the upright section to relieve that if becomes a issue.
Thanks. We will see how it does. If the dust is a problem I have a mag drill with a 1.5" annular cutter and could drill a bunch of holes in it. Maybe make some kind of cool pattern.
Smiley face would be cute!
The angled rad. grill will deflect most dust and heat upwards. We have the same on our dozer and, at times, it looks like a steam train approaching. Also helps keep sticks out of the rad.
I made one for my little TD7G
They both look nice guys. Good work
Finally got around to smoothing things out and painting it. Now to go knock the paint off and see how it works.
Looks good. Good and rugged too !!