Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wanting to upgrade from a JD 450 C

Don k ยท 2018-02-05 12:25

I now have a JD 450 C. I have owned it for about 20 years. I would like to get a little larger in weight and HP than what I have now. Probably about a JD 550 or a Cat of similar size. I want a 6 way blade. I am in the Texas Hill Country so I don't need a LGP. Used for pushing cedar and building small ponds. I probably put less than 200 hours per year on it. Question is: I am wanting to spend around $40,000 for a used dozer. What model of JD 550 or Cat of comparable size could be purchased for that amount and which one has the least problems and repair cost? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2018-02-05 13:47

    Going from a 450C to 550 isn't too much of a jump in size. I'd look at something like a JD 650 or Cat D5.

  2. #2redneckracin2018-02-05 14:40

    If you look at non-current JD Construction, they will list the weights and hp of the different models to get you an idea. My 550 Deere is under 10 tons for reference.

  3. #3d9gdon2018-02-05 22:00

    You can get a D5M in that range with cab and air for those hot summer days. It sure makes you a lot more productive. The Cat D5M has 110 hp and weighs about 26K. http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...r&make=Caterpillar&model=D5M+XL&modelid=90818 There's a couple that sold at Ritchie Bros. auctions, just for examples.

  4. #4Vetech632018-02-06 07:01

    I know of a good buy, but its relatively the same size machine. Cat D3K 6-way FFF series, 4500 hours. Owner is wanting 38K and its been well taken care of, the only thing is it is a ROPS machine with no enclosed cab. He just paid 8K for an entire injection pump and injector replacement at the CAT dealer last month because the machine was hard to start when cold.

  5. #5Don k2018-02-09 08:29

    I don't want or need A/C. Just more stuff to go wrong. Looking for probably a JD 650G or a Cat. of simular size. I would rather what ever I should get not have too much electronics. What model Cat would that be? Going to clean up my 450C and look to see what it might bring. I also have a A-C Model D grader and a D-7 17A with a #70 scraper that I need to sell. I am getting too old to try to keep everything running and would like to downsize to a little larger size than the 450 and newer.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2018-02-09 09:38

    You will never find a easier to maintain machi e than your 17A. A sweet combo with the 70 scraper. Does it have a blade? Please post some pictures.

  7. #7Don k2018-02-09 12:12
  8. #8Don k2018-02-09 12:13

    Yes I also have a blade for it. It has a #25 cable control.

  9. #9old-iron-habit2018-02-09 22:40

    I guess my next question is why would you want to spend $40,000 for a machine that might cost you another $20,000 to fix when it breaks when you have a great machine in your hands? Especially when you are talking only 200 hrs. a year.

  10. #10Don k2018-02-10 07:33

    The 450 is a little light for what I do which is mainly pushing cedar and pond work. The D7 is to big. I have finished doing what I want with the scraper and really have no use for it. The D7 does not have hydraulics so the blade is also cable powered so it does not have any down force and here in the hills a six way blade works a lot better. The D7 needs new rails, sprockets and rollers. So, I could spend quite a bit of money on it and still have an old dozer that is really not that maneuverable for what I need it for or I sell everything and hopefully get something that will suit me better.

  11. #11Don k2018-02-12 18:31

    What about a Cat. D5C? They do not have the electronics. There are a few of them in my area for sale. They are about the right size. JD 650G's are hard to come by. You can find numerous J models but after reading problems with electronics it may be better for me to stay away from them. And there must be a reason for there to be so many for sale around here.

  12. #12Don k2018-03-13 08:48

    I sold my 450C and AC model D grader. Looking at a Caterpillar D5G-XL. Serial #WGB0293. Can anyone find any history on it? Appreciate any help. Thanks