Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

brute force

petepilot · 2022-11-26 17:43

thought i`d throw this in the mix. my stepson was working on a compact car and was having no luck getting the bolt out of the harmonic balancer` he had tried everything in his arsenal nothing worked` 3/4" head I finaly got it out with right at 500 ft lbs torque. never ran into a bolt that small that tight

Replies14
  1. #192U 34062022-11-26 17:53

    Sometimes the iron throws a challenge at you. Did a set of turbos not long ago and the one nut I could barely get a half-moon wrench on needed heat AND a snipe to get it off. Figured the nut would either come off, the stud would thread out or I'd just snap it off. Ended up the stud threaded out.

  2. #2Truck Shop2022-11-26 18:15

    On the old V8's or 6's I used a breaker bar and tapped the starter.

  3. #3mks2022-11-26 18:21

    Honda v6 are known for this. Broke my 1/2 inch bars. Succeeded with 3/4. Some say high power 1/2 impact with a weighted socket works well. I’ll find out in a few months.

  4. #4Coaldust2022-11-26 18:39

    Weighted socket is the answer. Especially Honda crank bolts. Some sort of un-natural phenomena creates a torque that resists even a Milwaukee 3/4” 18v Fuel. It’s an amazing lesson in physics when you experience the black magic of a weighted socket. Check out the Torque Test Channel, if you haven’t done so.

  5. #5mks2022-11-26 18:58

    I’ll look forward to it. Video seems to prove it out.

  6. #692U 34062022-11-26 19:14

    Do they make weighted hex sockets? Deal alot with 16 mm socket head bolts and its common that my 3/4" air impact at 1,800 ft-lbs won't bust them free unless I put heat to them.

  7. #7mks2022-11-26 19:54

    Not seeing them. I suspect additional weight could be added to this with some machine shop work https://bti-tool.com/metric-hex-bit-socket-3-4in.dr.-x-16mm-hex/

  8. #8Coaldust2022-11-26 20:07

    OMG, yeah. Those metric socket head hyd cyl. Head bolts get 6’ long cheater pipe tight, too.

  9. #992U 34062022-11-26 20:47

    I'm going to be on my 4th 3/4 drive 14mm impact hex key socket of 2022 very soon.

  10. #10crane operator2022-11-27 08:13

    I used the starter and a long breaker bar when I did my wife's honda v6. They are tight, and there's not a lot of room for big tools in there. Its the procedure they actually give in the manual.

  11. #11Old Doug2022-11-27 10:15

    I think there are several things we are a long ways from truly understanding . This stuff is very interesting.

  12. #12petepilot2022-11-27 12:58

    it was the one shown in the first part of the video. with the crank holding socket

  13. #13crane operator2022-11-27 13:26

    I think my local orielly's has the socket/wrench for the honda's in its loaner tools.

  14. #14TIredoldparts2022-12-08 09:23

    the weighted socket works just like a bigger hammer not bouncing where a small one would. it helps put the power down where its needed.