Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Building

JD8875 ยท 2010-11-10 09:54

Anybody build their own mini excavator buckets? I'm tight and hate to spend $500-$1000 on a 24" GP bucket and a grading bucket. I have a pretty well suited shop to work out of, and have built a lot of things with steel, but never a bucket. Any pointers or testimonials? Thanks John

Replies2
  1. #1sasquatchman2010-11-10 13:10

    I built a tilting ditching bucket for my NH EC25 excavator. I designed the whole thing as a 3D model in Solidworks so I could get the tilt geometry straight and then got a local Hutterite colony to laser-cut the pieces and form them. I welded it myself using my old Lincoln stick welder. As for the cutting edge, I picked up an obsolete zamboni edge at the local hockey rink for free. I bought a small amount of DOM tube from the same Hutterite colony and machined all the bushings myself on a neighbor's lathe. My total cost was well under $500. It really looks nice and works fantastic.

  2. #2joispoi2010-11-11 16:15

    Price out the hardened steel to see if it's worth it. There are so many used buckets on the market that you should be able to find a good deal on something that already fits your machine or could be adapted to fit.